Start by marking “Better Than the Best Plan” as Want to Read:
Better Than the Best Plan

Better Than the Best Plan

Lauren Morrill's Better Than the Best Plan is a fresh, funny, romantic YA novel about a teenage girl who finds an unexpected silver lining in her life when plans get turned upside down.

Plans are made to be broken.

It’s the last day of junior year, and seventeen-year-old Ritzy—short for Maritza—is pretty sure she has a great plan. Summer job—check. Hang with friends at the b
Published June 25th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Better Than the Best Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Than the Best Plan

emma
this is a book that i read.

the above comprises just about all of the feelings i have on this at the moment, so...review to come when i have more of them?

2 stars

--------

this book looks like summer incarnate so i am of course obligated to read it immediately

(thanks to FSG for the ARC)
Mar 19, 2019 added it

DNF.

At 150 pages in, I realized I just didn't feel anything for the story or characters. I really wanted to see this angle on foster care discussed, but the emotion wasn't there on the page.

Sorry, book. I'm moving on.
Jessica
Adding this one to my extremely exclusive "Almost Like a Sarah Dessen Book" list...
Caro Herrera
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a social worker who is used to books that portray social workers as total incompetent idiots who are too burnt out to care anymore, with whom kids never actually feel comfortable, and with no fashion sense to boot, I just want to take a minute to say thank you to the author for including a competent, well-dressed, put-together social worker who forms an actual bond with the main character in this book.

Also, this book was a fast read, and it was very sweet, cute, and endearing. There are a cou
Trudi
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ritzy is abandoned by her mom at the age of 17 and she is placed in a well-off foster home until she is legally allowed to be on her own. Her foster parents have rules and expectations that she never had to deal with when living with her mom.

And then she meets a boy who plays tennis and fights with his dad.

Super sweet read all about family, friends, and what's it like to live on "both sides of the tracks".
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: june-2019
it was just overall such a BLAND book. I was only reading to get more juice/tea of the main oc's perspective and seeing the male oc's problems. his problems had been done before so many times i snored.

full review to come.
Erin Colvin
May 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
This was really interesting- entering a foster home at age 17. Was a good book about family and relationships. Teens will enjoy this sweet book.
Teresa
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ritzy is used to her mother's flaky demeanor and plans; so when she takes off to Mexico one morning Ritzy isn't all that surprised. When her mother is still MIA two weeks later, Ritzy begins to worry and then she really, really starts to worry when a social worker comes to place her in foster care. But foster care is something Ritzy wasn't at all expecting, especially when her foster mother is someone who has already cared for her. As she settles into this new life, Ritzy begins to relax and pre ...more
Kat
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan for the E-arc copy of this novel.
I found myself loving this book the more pages I read. It is at the heart about family and the choices they and we make for ourselves as we grown up. Ritzy learns first hand that what we choose and how we deal with those choices will influence us going forward into our future. We love our family, Ritzy's birth mom, but that doesn't mean they make the best life for us. I love this book for teens who have the maturity to underst
Kelly
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this book on Good Reads giveaway! I loved it! Perfect for your summer reading list!
caitlin
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the originality of this plot: girl discovers she was once a foster child when she’s 17 and abandoned by her mother just before her senior year of high school and is sent to the former foster mom again. Sarah Dessen fans should take note of Lauren Morrill books, this especially.
Crystal ✬ Lost in Storyland
Better Than the Best Plan hooked me from the first pages.

The characters fit into standard tropes. I never felt like I got to know them beyond a superficial level. Nevertheless, the protagonists are likable. Maritza is nice girl who enjoys to read, has a crush on a cute boy, and thinks carefully about her future. She’s mature for her age, having had to take on so many responsibilities at home. And she enjoys a good book. I loved seeing Martiza’s relationships with her foster parents and Spencer,
Sherry
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Normally I find Lauren Morrills’s books to be fluffy fun. The main characters have their dilemmas to deal with, but they usually are resolved without too much drama. With the addition of a bit of romance, her novels are entertainingly light reads. However, this one didn’t quite work for me.

I think that in this case the main character’s problem was much too serious for the fluffy treatment. Ritzy is left alone when her perpetually flaky mother goes to a retreat in Mexico with no firm plans for he
Elizabeth
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This, I think, is my favorite Lauren Morrill novel. She really hit it out of the park. It's also my first of hers that I've given five stars! (All of her previous have received four on Goodreads.) I loved the characters, and you could tell Morrill knew the subjects she was writing about well, with a social worker sister and husband who works at Mercer (where she also teaches a class).

I really appreciated that Ritzy's story wasn't traumatic or super depressing like many foster care depictions can
Lana
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Elizabeth
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this quickly read book a lot. It has a lot of heart. Maritza is a good kid, not a troublemaker or spoiled, with a good head on her shoulders when her flaky mom decides to take off to Mexico to become a life coach in what sounds like a pyramid scheme. Maritza is scooped up by Florida DCS and finds out she was in the system already and placed with a woman who took care of her when she was very young. Maritza goes to stay with her and her nice husband, who give her the care, supervision a ...more
Kristin
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Summer read? Yes and it's a super quick, happy one at that.
Love & romance? Just a wee little bit, more of a budding romance type of story. It's really the best part of the story.
Depth? It tried but then it fell apart at the end when one main character had a personality-lobotomy that I personally feel can't happen in real life (personal experience). Me thinks the author should have stuck the course with her story and not gone the direction she ended up going with the story. I was re
Layla Smith
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books
A very enjoyable summer read! I very much liked the characters of Ritzy, Kat, and Spencer, but most of all I loved Ryan. Spencer's younger brother was definitely the scene stealer whenever he was around.

I liked how the story progressed and showed that while change it is hard, it can be a good thing. The growth that Ritzy makes in a short time was good, and it was nice to she see her going from the responsible one in the guardian-child relationship, to learning how to be an everyday teen.
Jamie
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect for summer and lounging at the pool or the beach, BETTER THAN THE BEST PLAN is my favorite Lauren Morrill book yet! This book hits all the marks of a classic YA summer rom-com while still telling a fresh story and giving you characters you enjoy spending time with (and don't feel like you've already read a million times).
Ashley
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an emotional story without being heavy. Each time I thought "oh, here's where it is going," it subverted my expectations. It didn't rely on miscommunication. The characters were honest and actually said what they thought and felt rather than relying on their inability to draw out the plot. The adults were present and not caricatures. It was quiet and cute and exactly what I needed.
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This was an enjoyable quick read. Better Than the Best Plan is a YA novel about a 17 year old girl going into foster care, but the most ideal foster care I've ever heard--on an island in Florida with a wealthy family. I enjoyed the characters and plot. Thanks to Farrar Straus Giroux for an ARC of this book.
Rebecca
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Possibly my new favorite from Lauren Morrill (I'll have to reread My Unscripted Life to be sure) this book was really good! I really liked Ritzy and I loved Kris. I can tell that I'm officially in Momland now because I saw everything from Kris's point of view so much clearer! Lol!

This book was really enjoyable and felt like I should have been reading it while at the beach!
Leah
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, read-2019
I thought this was an important and interesting topic well-rendered, and I enjoyed all the characters, but was somewhat disappointed by the ending. It felt quite quickly wrapped up - I was open to whichever choice Maritza wanted to make, but the way it was done felt a little lacking.
Kristy
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, arc
I received an ARC from a goodreads giveaway.

3.5 stars.

This is a quick read, but I don't think it's anything special. It feels like it should have more depth in the parts that deal with Maritza being put into foster care.
Meredith Wacter
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Marcia
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect summer read. One of my favorite things about LM’s writing is that she teases at classic tropes and then blows past them with actual conversation and real life situations. Read in less the two days.
Susan
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect summer beach book!
Lindsey
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Cute, light read with some heavy topics thrown in.
Ally
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NPR had it right when they called this the perfect summer read. I read while on vacation at the beach and it was a great quick read.
Jenny
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun YA book, that hits on so many great topics. Every time you think you have figured out what is happening next, it surprises you. Great quick read for a summer vacation.

• 10 Blind Dates
  • Cloudforest (Cloudforest, #1)
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • Start Here
  • The Map from Here to There
  • The Lovely and the Lost
  • War of the Bastards (Royal Bastards, #3)
  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • Castle of Lies
  • Reconnected
  • The Shadows Between Us
LAUREN MORRILL grew up in Maryville, Tennessee, where she was a short-term Girl Scout, a (not so) proud member of the marching band, and a trouble-making editor for the school newspaper. She graduated from Indiana University with a major in history and a minor in rock & roll, and now lives in Macon, GA with her husband and sons.

Lauren is the author of several YA novels, including MEANT TO BE (