Start by marking “Better Than the Best Plan” as Want to Read:
Better Than the Best Plan

Better Than the Best Plan

Lauren Morrill's Better Than the Best Plan is a fresh, funny, romantic YA novel about a teenage girl who finds an unexpected silver lining in her life when plans get turned upside down.

Plans are made to be broken.

It's the last day of junior year, and seventeen-year-old Ritzy--short for Maritza--is pretty sure she has a great plan. Summer job--check. Hang with friends at th
Published June 25th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (Byr)

Start your review of Better Than the Best Plan
emma
Here's the thing. I said I was going to review this book when I had more feelings on it, but the issue is that I don't feel anything about this at all. This was a totally meh read for me.

In all sincerity, I have nothing else to say.

That's the review.

--------

this is a book that i read.

the above comprises just about all of the feelings i have on this at the moment, so...review to come when i have more of them?

2 stars

--------

this book looks like summer incarnate so i am of course obligated to read
Kat
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Take a nifty summer trip to coastal Florida! Ritzi or Maritza, is living with her “free spirit” mom, going into the summer before her senior year. Her mom “discovers herself” anew every few months, dragging poor Ritzi along for the ride. They’ve been all over the country, been vegans, lived on communes, abolished nightshades, eaten everything raw, and now her mom wants to go to a school in Mexico where she will learn spiritual cleansing and each level will earn her a pebble, then ten pebbles ear ...more
Mar 19, 2019 added it

DNF.

At 150 pages in, I realized I just didn't feel anything for the story or characters. I really wanted to see this angle on foster care discussed, but the emotion wasn't there on the page.

Sorry, book. I'm moving on.
Rebecca
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Possibly my new favorite from Lauren Morrill (I'll have to reread My Unscripted Life to be sure) this book was really good! I really liked Ritzy and I loved Kris. I can tell that I'm officially in Momland now because I saw everything from Kris's point of view so much clearer! Lol!

This book was really enjoyable and felt like I should have been reading it while at the beach!
Caro Reads
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a social worker who is used to books that portray social workers as total incompetent idiots who are too burnt out to care anymore, with whom kids never actually feel comfortable, and with no fashion sense to boot, I just want to take a minute to say thank you to the author for including a competent, well-dressed, put-together social worker who forms an actual bond with the main character in this book.

Also, this book was a fast read, and it was very sweet, cute, and endearing. There are a cou
Trudi
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ritzy is abandoned by her mom at the age of 17 and she is placed in a well-off foster home until she is legally allowed to be on her own. Her foster parents have rules and expectations that she never had to deal with when living with her mom.

And then she meets a boy who plays tennis and fights with his dad.

Super sweet read all about family, friends, and what's it like to live on "both sides of the tracks".
Jessica
Adding this one to my extremely exclusive "Almost Like a Sarah Dessen Book" list...
Kristin
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Summer read? Yes and it's a super quick, happy one at that.
Love & romance? Just a wee little bit, more of a budding romance type of story. It's really the best part of the story.
Depth? It tried but then it fell apart at the end when one main character had a personality-lobotomy that I personally feel can't happen in real life (personal experience). Me thinks the author should have stuck the course with her story and not gone the direction she ended up going with the story. I was readin
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: june-2019
it was just overall such a BLAND book. I was only reading to get more juice/tea of the main oc's perspective and seeing the male oc's problems. his problems had been done before so many times i snored.

full review to come.
Kerry
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect YA summer read. If you're a Sarah Dessen fan, PICK THIS ONE UP!
Erin Colvin
May 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
This was really interesting- entering a foster home at age 17. Was a good book about family and relationships. Teens will enjoy this sweet book.
Teresa
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ritzy is used to her mother's flaky demeanor and plans; so when she takes off to Mexico one morning Ritzy isn't all that surprised. When her mother is still MIA two weeks later, Ritzy begins to worry and then she really, really starts to worry when a social worker comes to place her in foster care. But foster care is something Ritzy wasn't at all expecting, especially when her foster mother is someone who has already cared for her. As she settles into this new life, Ritzy begins to relax and pre ...more
Kat
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan for the E-arc copy of this novel.
I found myself loving this book the more pages I read. It is at the heart about family and the choices they and we make for ourselves as we grown up. Ritzy learns first hand that what we choose and how we deal with those choices will influence us going forward into our future. We love our family, Ritzy's birth mom, but that doesn't mean they make the best life for us. I love this book for teens who have the maturity to underst
April
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Better Than The Best Plan by Lauren Morrill came into my life at the best possible time. I was coming off of a longer, more involved sort of book and really wanted to read a book that would absorb all my attention. This book did that! It absolutely grabbed me immediately and I am so thrilled that it did. Read my full review here ...more
lauren
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
this was the first of Lauren Morrill's books that i've read and i loved it. i don't read a ton of YA and wasn't sure what to expect, but Ritzy is a smart, relatable character who i would like to know in real life. though this book touched on some serious topics, it was a very fun read and i raced through it. it was a perfect little gem for summer :)
Crystal ✬ Lost in Storyland
Better Than the Best Plan hooked me from the first pages.

The characters fit into standard tropes. I never felt like I got to know them beyond a superficial level. Nevertheless, the protagonists are likable. Maritza is nice girl who enjoys to read, has a crush on a cute boy, and thinks carefully about her future. She’s mature for her age, having had to take on so many responsibilities at home. And she enjoys a good book. I loved seeing Martiza’s relationships with her foster parents and Spencer,
Lana
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Lauren Greene
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm torn on how to rate this. I enjoyed reading it and flew through it, but I feel like it lacked a lot of depth that it had the potential for. The premise is great, with Maritza being abandoned by her mother and placed in a foster home, facing a new life and having to confront her mother's obvious pitfalls...but it just didn't really develop the way it could have. We really don't get to see any of the characters' emotions, see them wrestling and working through difficult situations, etc. Everyt ...more
Layla Smith
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books
A very enjoyable summer read! I very much liked the characters of Ritzy, Kat, and Spencer, but most of all I loved Ryan. Spencer's younger brother was definitely the scene stealer whenever he was around.

I liked how the story progressed and showed that while change it is hard, it can be a good thing. The growth that Ritzy makes in a short time was good, and it was nice to she see her going from the responsible one in the guardian-child relationship, to learning how to be an everyday teen.
Joann M
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lindsey
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Cute, light read with some heavy topics thrown in.
Janelle Hackbarth
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book I've read by this author, and it certainly won't be my last.

After being left to fend for herself by her single-parent mother, Ritzy is discovered by social services and forced to live with a Foster mother she had when she was a baby on a Floridian island called Helena. As she starts adjusting to life there, what will happen when her past returns?

I really enjoyed this book, loving the setting the most. I also enjoyed that things were not only new to us readers but new to he
Leah
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun summer read.
Jamie
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect for summer and lounging at the pool or the beach, BETTER THAN THE BEST PLAN is my favorite Lauren Morrill book yet! This book hits all the marks of a classic YA summer rom-com while still telling a fresh story and giving you characters you enjoy spending time with (and don't feel like you've already read a million times).
Candice Lally
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick summer beach read is how I would describe this. I love to sit by a pool during the summer and this was the perfect story to dive into poolside. Expecting a bit deeper on the foster care, child neglect I was surprised she sort of zips through that and concentrates more on Ritzy’s adjustment to living with her rich foster mom. I can see that appealing to those teenage readers wanting more of fun storyline and less thought provoking or triggering. I really had fun reading this and zoomed th ...more
Kelly
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this book on Good Reads giveaway! I loved it! Perfect for your summer reading list!
Susan
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect summer beach book!
Ashley
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
This was an emotional story without being heavy. Each time I thought "oh, here's where it is going," it subverted my expectations. It didn't rely on miscommunication. The characters were honest and actually said what they thought and felt rather than relying on their inability to draw out the plot. The adults were present and not caricatures. It was quiet and cute and exactly what I needed.
the lady e
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the originality of this plot: girl discovers she was once a foster child when she’s 17 and abandoned by her mother just before her senior year of high school and is sent to the former foster mom again. Sarah Dessen fans should take note of Lauren Morrill books, this especially.
Marcia
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect summer read. One of my favorite things about LM’s writing is that she teases at classic tropes and then blows past them with actual conversation and real life situations. Read in less the two days.
« previous 1 3 next »

• No Place Like Here
  • The Arrival of Someday
  • When Summer Ends
  • Fake It Till You Break It
LAUREN MORRILL grew up in Maryville, Tennessee, where she was a short-term Girl Scout, a (not so) proud member of the marching band, and a trouble-making editor for the school newspaper. She graduated from Indiana University with a major in history and a minor in rock & roll, and now lives in Macon, GA with her husband and sons.

Lauren is the author of several YA novels, including MEANT TO BE (Rand