Jump to ratings and reviews

From USA Today bestselling author Adriana Locke comes a witty romance about first love and second chances.

After being burned by her dream job in New York City, sports journalist Neely Kimber suddenly finds herself jobless and paying a long-overdue visit to her hometown in Tennessee. Her plan? Relax, reset, and head back up the corporate ladder. There’s just one unexpected step. Neely’s back in Dogwood Lane for barely a day when she sees the man she ran from nine years ago: the bad boy next door who was her first kiss, her first love, and her first heartbreak.

Devoted single dad Dane Madden knows he hurt Neely in the worst way. He’s got a lot to make up for. And as passionate as their reconnection is, it’s a lot to hope for. Having her back in his arms feels so right. But falling in love all over again with a woman who wants to live a world away is bound to go so wrong.

What’s it going to take for Neely to give him—and Dogwood Lane—just one more chance?

279 pages, Kindle Edition

First published February 26, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Adriana Locke

58 books13k followers
USA Today Bestselling author, Adriana Locke, writes contemporary romances about the two things she knows best—big families and small towns. Her stories are about ordinary people finding extraordinary love with the perfect combination of heart, heat, and humor.

She loves connecting with readers, fall weather, football, reading alpha heroes, everything pumpkin, and pretending to garden.

Hailing from a tiny town in the Midwest, Adriana spends her free time with her high school sweetheart (who she married over twenty-five years ago) and their four sons (who truly are her best work). Her kitchen may be a perpetual disaster, and if all else fails, there is always pizza.

Learn more at adrianalocke.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
303 (3%)
1 star
186 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,035 reviews
Profile Image for Melanie (mells_view).
1,681 reviews310 followers
February 26, 2019
“Neely isn’t someone I can gamble with. There’s no kissing and forgetting. There’s only wanting more. Needing more. Desiring more. And not being able to have it.”

I read Tumble all in one sitting. I will admit at first I was having a hard time getting into it. I’m one of those if you don’t grab me from the jump then I get antsy, but once Tumble started rolling (I had to) then I couldn’t put it down! This is a small town, second chance romance that is as heartwarming as it is heartbreaking. Neely left Dogwood Lane for college with a broken heart and never came back. Dane broke that heart. He’s sorry, but he wouldn’t take it back for anything.

I know some readers will have issues with their past and why they are a second chance, but to me it feels real and makes the characters real. If someone stays away for ten years, then their break up has to have been major. I like that the author made the reasons so heavy and hard. Makes Neely staying gone understandable.

I spent the half the book smiling and the other half swapping between sad tears and happy tears. There’s a great cast of characters along with the mains. You really get that small town vibe from this one which if you like those stories you know what I mean.

Tumble just feels real. It’s predictable in that feel good way. You know there will be a happy ending just how will we get there. It’s an emotional ride that will bring you smiles and tears. What’s better than that in a contemporary romance?

^ fan edit on IG!
Profile Image for Renee.
210 reviews10 followers
February 3, 2019

Tumble is a second chance book. Ten years ago, Neely left the tiny town of Dogwood Lane, Tennessee for New York City with a broken heart and a vow to not return. And yes, the town is named Dogwood Lane. Took me a few chapters to figure out it was not the street she lived on but the actual name of the town. I digress. So after quitting her job due to being passed over for a promotion she deserved, she decides to finally return home hoping she can at least avoid the man who broke her heart so badly she hasn’t recovered, one Dane Madden. Of course life is never so kind or so easy. It doesn’t take long before these two are drawn to one another and even though Neely knows it’s a bad idea, she can’t seem to stay away from Dane.

So, the good. It’s well written. Side characters are engaging and bring life to the story. The kid, Mia, is great if a bit too put together for a ten year old. Dane will certainly capture some readers’ hearts and Neely has a good dose of humor at times.

Now.............stop reading this if you hate spoilers.

Let me say again, spoilers ahead mate.

************************* SPOILER ALERT *******************************

Let me get right into it. This book made me want to scream. I have to go the spoiler route so you understand why I feel this way.

Yes, Dane broke her heart. How? He slept with her best friend AND got her pregnant!! The kid Mia? Yeah, that’s the kid he had with Neely’s best friend!! Oh it gets better. Why, oh why, would he do this to the girl/woman he loved oh so much? For her own benefit. Yep. Hand to God his rationale for breaking up with her was so she would go to college since all he wanted to do was stay in town and work at the mill. He put up this oh so grand sacrifice for her of course. Kill me now.

Oh and he 1000% tried to pull a Ross excusing his sleeping with and impregnating her best friend by saying they were broken up. And then, then folks, he said he always thought she would be back and he could pick up with her then so he actually has the flipping gall to be angry with her and give her a guilt trip when she shows up in town still pissed at him.

So what does she do? Tell him to pound sand? Nope. Make him beg for forgiveness? Nope. She apologizes to him!!!!!! I thought I was going to bust a blood vessel reading that.

The book goes on with some angst about her leaving town again. The kid is cute. He acts (kinda) like perfect Dad and boyfriend. But I can’t get over that part about what he did. I just can’t. Guess my petty game is strong.

Ultimately there is a HEA and they all live happily ever after. Dane, Neely, and the constant reminder of his betrayal, the cute kid Mia - who he wants Neely to be a mother to. Yeah sure why not. She already apologized to him for his betrayal, left her entire career for him, and agreed to everything he wanted. Step-mom too! Bring it on.

This is yet another second chance book I didn’t like even though I’ve given them honest tries again and again. This trope is clearly not for me.

I think people who like this trope will likely be more forgiving than me. They’ll likely love these two together. The writing is quite good, the town, characters, and dialogue are all very well done. It’s rather sweet in general with a medium to low heat level.. So my rating may be an anamoly but it is what it is. This wasn’t the book for me.

Two stars.
Profile Image for Cee Cee Houston.
1,341 reviews21 followers
January 2, 2019
Tumble is the first book in a brand new ‘Dogwood Lane’ series by Adriana Locke. I have to admit, the series title threw me for a bit as I thought this was a street name rather than the town. But, that aside, I freaking adored this book and every character within its amazing pages. Well, nearly every character, there were some who deserved a throat punch, but thankfully not the ones that matter.
Right from the first page, I knew this was going to be a good ‘un. The wholesome, small town feel, the quirky characters, including Blue, the hound dog all just mixed together to create something special. Something uniquely Adriana.
Dane Madden and Neely Kimber were once high school sweethearts, they were completely in love and meant to be together, but when it came time to leave, only one got in the car and drove away, with a broken heart and a misunderstanding that led to them spending the last ten years apart.
Neely has been in New York carving out a career for herself but at the expense of a loving relationship.
Dane has been hard at work building his father’s business up and making a life for himself and his child.
When they bump into each other for the first time, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. The writing was that poignant and filled with old feelings, both good and bad. Neither has forgotten the other or what made them split up and it takes some time before they get over it.
This new relationship grew slowly and organically. It was sweet and tender, and there were so many scenes where I just smiled happily or swooned, but when you add in their interactions with Dane’s young daughter, Mia, then it tops the ‘awww’ scale. Watching them become a unit was simply lovely and even though they hit a slight bump in the road, I just knew it would end well.
Who is up next for a wander through Dogwood Lane? I don’t know, but I bet they have an absolute blast while they are there. I know I did.
This is one new series NOT to be missed

ARC supplied by the author, through NetGalley for an honest and unbiased review.
Profile Image for Tanya Jarvis.
Author 2 books17 followers
February 7, 2019
NOPE.

Spoilers ahead. YOU’VE BEEN WARNED.

you know why I read romance? Cause it makes me feel good. I like feeling the love. I like the escapism. I like falling in love with the characters and watch them battle obstacles and fight, no matter how gritty it gets to their HEA.

You know what I don’t like? Fucking cheaters. I think, I think I could find a way to forgive if it was only a kiss, and even then the author would have to work real hard to earn my forgiveness. I almost can’t come back from H’s who are on the verge of cheating before they get their shit together and don’t follow through.
But this guy? Dane? He cheated on the heroine by sleeping with her best friend and knocking her up!.
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

how is this romantic? It doesn’t even break my heart. It makes me see red. And now she’s back after 10 years and he’s raising that kid he had alone and she’s all “I’m mad at you but shoot... sorry, you obviously hurt way more than me... my bad”. The fuck?

How could any sane woman forgive that act? It’s the ULTIMATE betrayal. You’ve been betrayed by your BF and bestie in one fell swoop. And he’s all “we were on a break”. Bitch I don’t care. Sticking your dick in your ex’s best friend is disgusting. And speaking of, her best friend is a bitch! She slept with her besties man! WHO DOES THIS?!!

I can’t finish this book. Just no. Apparently they get a HEA. don’t know how any of that is happy. Guess she raises her man’s kid who he had with her bestie behind her back. Wow.... good times. There is no coming back from that... according to me.

Surely others will be much more forgiving. I am not. Beautiful writing though. The author knows what she’s doing.
I feel slightly bad getting all zena the princess warrior on this book... I just. Don’t. Do. Cheating.

Profile Image for Christy.
3,707 reviews31.5k followers
March 5, 2019
4 stars

photo 09F21C35-7DA2-4C20-B847-A157B22E721B_zpsp6e2zexe.png

Tumble is a small town, second chance romance with a single parent story-line.

After quitting her job in the big city, Neely comes home to the Tennessee town she grew up in. She hasn’t been back since she left for college, and a bit part of that is her ex-boyfriend, Dane. She loved Dane, and Dane loved her, but he broke it off with her when she went to college. Though she’s moved on in many ways, her heart has never been the same. And seeing Dane again, she’s not sure if it ever will be again.

Dane regrets a lot about his life. His biggest regret will always be letting go of Neely. He’s got a great job, and a daughter her wouldn’t trade for anything, but something has always been missing for him. Or someone. When Neely comes back to town, Dane is sure he doesn’t have a shot. But maybe, just maybe, a second chance is in order for the both of them.

There was a lot about this story I really loved, a part of the story-line I wasn’t crazy about but overall, I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading more in this series! I’m hoping either Dane’s brother or best friend are next!!
Profile Image for Dilek VT.
1,529 reviews1,341 followers
Shelved as 'nope'
February 11, 2019
Not my cuppa!!! Contains douche-bag hero and stupid heroine!

Profile Image for Tracy  C.
537 reviews37 followers
November 30, 2018
Dane and Neely are swoony! This second chance romance has so many feels. Each think they should stay away from the other to stave off future heartbreak, but they are drawn back together over and over. With a bit of help from the whole community, who know that Dane and Neely belong together, they manage to let themselves experience the love that never really went away. Another great romance from Adriana Locke!
Profile Image for Bookgasms Book Blog.
2,713 reviews1,266 followers
December 14, 2018
If I've learned anything, it's that Adriana Locke knows how to deliver these emotionally engaging, adorable, and deeply romantic stories. I can't think of a trope she can't work with, and she absolutely delivered on this second-chance romance.

I loved it. It was interesting. The chemistry was sparky and intense. And the little twists and turns that the storyline took kept me on my toes, tugging at my heart, and occasionally doling out those delicious butterflies in my heart and tummy.

I'm also a complete sucker for a single dad and a small town setting - so imagine my delight at getting these two things in one pretty package. I fell almost as in love with Dogwood Lane as I did with the characters themselves? And Dane's daughter? Scene-stealer extraordinaire. The whole thing - from the setting, to the set-up, to the engaging way it's written - just works as this lovely, slightly angsty, package of swoony delight! ~ Shelly, 4 Stars
Profile Image for Carol Vickers.
114 reviews34 followers
January 30, 2023
What an ADORABLE small town second chance romance!! I absolutely loved it 🥰🥰. Once I started reading I couldn’t stop and finished it in one sitting. All the emotion! Seriously, this book lacked nothing in my opinion! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Neely has recently quit her job in New York City and decides to visit her hometown in Tennessee to relax, recharge and spend time with her mother. What Neely does not expect is too run into Dane the first day back. Dane was her first love, first kiss, and the one that broke her heart. Dane is your charming and devoted single dad. Dane knows he messed up years ago but is this his second chance with Neely?? Neely and Dane are swoon worthy and Mia is the cutest daughter ever! I found myself cheering and wanting the HEA for them.

This is a fantastic second chance romance that I highly recommend!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Profile Image for Rejane.
1,341 reviews64 followers
Shelved as 'no-way-jose'
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👇👇👇👇👇👇

Why authors are somehow trying to push this forgiveness bs down our throats?? Forgiving is one thing, now pick up a relationship after is just not possible IMO
So the heroine apologizes to the hero because he slept with her best friend, impregnated her and it seems it was heroine’s fault. Isn’t something wrong with my sentence??
In honor to my friend Paula I ask: “Under what moon the author wrote such stupidity?”

And then there’s Lu’s review. I have to agree with her: “hell is full of well meaning people “. You know, hero breaks heroine’s heart sleeping with her friend for her own good. What a generous loving man. NOT https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Betül.
970 reviews233 followers
November 29, 2018
**ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review**

description

"There's a wall between us we can't skirt. It's built with just as many tears and just as much betrayal as it is any good times we shared."

It has been almost two years since I read my last book by Adriana Locke, and I am really happy that I decided to read Tumble. The blurb was exciting enough for me to give it a try, and I have to be honest and say that the single dad part really was the deciding factor in this case. Also I am a sucker for second-chance romances, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to read this book. Tumble was a no-drama fun and light contemporary romance. I was expecting some cliché things to happen, but I was really happy when the author didn't take the usual route. I loved that the couple didn't get back together right away, and it took some time for them to get over their old hurts. This made the romance feel much more organic and made it easier for me to connect to them.

Both Neely and Dane are great characters, and I especially loved both their interaction with Dane's daughter Mia. Neely is a very strong and independent woman, and I really liked her personality. I loved all the characters and I am really hoping for everyone to get their own HEA. They were fun and great friends to the main characters, and I am looking forward to many more books in this series. I do have to mention that the epilogue in my opinion was just a regular chapter, and it kind of left me wanting a real epilogue. Overall Tumble is a book I recommend to any romance reader, and especially readers who like me love single parent/second-chance romances.
Profile Image for Lu Bielefeld .
3,971 reviews432 followers
December 13, 2022
2 ⭐⭐ - Meh!
============
==>Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.<==

Review in Portuguese and English

Eu gosto muito da escrita da autora e acompanho o trabalho dela desde os primeiros livros dela.
Esta é uma história de segunda chance e reencontro.
Neely volta para a sua cidade natal, Dogwood Lane, após 10 anos de ausência.
Ela não tinha planos de voltar, mas uma mudança em suas metas profissionais a faz tomar esta decisão.
De volta pra casa ela tem que reencontrar Dane, seu grande amor e sua grande decepção amorosa.
Ambos se amavam e tinham uma vida inteira planejada, mas Dane acaba o relacionamento e a trai com a melhor amiga dela e o que é pior, a engravida.
Traição total em minha opinião, porque ele poderia ter sexo com qualquer outra, mas escolheu a melhor amiga dela para isso.
Lembrei de Ross e Rachel no seriado Friends e a desculpa de que estavam separados.
on a break
O fruto desta traição é Mia, uma garotinha carismática e também carente de amor maternal.
Nosso herói tentou fazer dar certo a união dele com a mãe de Mia, Kate, mas foi abandonado com um bebê para criar.
Ele teve outro relacionamento sério com Sara, inclusive moraram juntos, e pensou que ela seria a parceira dele para criar a filha. Mas Sara não estava preparada para criar a filha de outra mulher e o deixou também. Então temos um herói receoso e tentando proteger os sentimentos da filha dele. Mia ficou devastada quando foi abandonada por Sara.
Nossa heroína teve relacionamentos casuais, mas nada sério. Ele sempre foi o grande amor dela e por isso focou mais na carreira e deixou a vida pessoal de lado.
Quando nossa heroína demonstrou toda a sua raiva e frustração com a traição dele e falou palavras duras para Dane, confesso que gostei dela. Pensei que teríamos uma heroína forte e que o faria trabalhar duro pelo perdão dela.
so mad
Mas não foi o que aconteceu. Penso que o reencontro deles foi rápido demais e ela ainda se sentiu culpada por estar brava com ele e acaba se desculpando. Não gostei disso, porque foi ele que agiu errado e ele que tinha que rastejar mais.
A partir dali a história foi ladeira abaixo para mim. Ela se mostrou fraca!
Ela está em uma encruzilhada profissionalmente e sente que algo está faltando na vida dela. Este reencontro a faz questionar o que ela realmente deseja para o resto da vida dela.
Será que a vida profissional é mais importante que a pessoal?
Vale a pena arriscar novamente e ser ferida?
Todas estas questões a fazem se sentir vulnerável e incerta.
Mas ela nunca encontrou outro amor igual ao que sente por ele e isto mexe com ela.
Dane é pintado como um ser perfeito que quebrou o coração dela e cometeu aquela grande traição em nome de boas intenções.
Veja bem, o inferno está cheio de bem intencionados.
Eu não perdoaria tão facilmente! Mas sou uma pessoa que guarda rancor e cínica.
wall
Mas se está bom para nossa heroína eu tenho que me conformar e aceitar, mas realmente não entendo heroínas tão bondosas e misericordiosas.
Nosso herói ficou com a garota e ainda de bônus uma mãe para a filha dele.
description
No mais uma leitura ok e que não ficará na memória.
------------------------------------------
I really like the author's writing and I follow her work from her early books.
This is a story of second chance and reunion.
Neely returns to her hometown, Dogwood Lane, after 10 years of absence.
She had no plans to return, but a change in her career goals makes her make this decision.
Back home she has to see Dane, her great love and her great heartbreak.
They both loved each other and had a life in common already planned, but Dane ends the relationship and cheats with her best friend and worst, he gets her pregnant.
Total betrayal in my opinion, because he could have sex with any other, but chose her best friend for it.
I remembered Ross and Rachel on the Friends show and the excuse that they were on a break.
description
The fruit of this betrayal is Mia, a charismatic little girl and also much in need of maternal love.
Our hero tried to make it work with Mia's mother, Kate, but was abandoned by her with a baby to raise.
He had another serious relationship with Sara, even lived together, and thought she would be his partner to raise his daughter. But Sara was not ready to raise another woman's daughter and left him too. So we have a worried hero trying to protect his daughter's feelings. Mia was devastated when she was abandoned by Sara.
Our heroine had casual relationships, but nothing serious. Dane has always been her great love and so she has focused more on her career and left personal life aside.
When our heroine demonstrated all her anger and frustration at his betrayal and said harsh words to Dane, I confess that I liked her. I thought we would have a strong heroine and that would make him work hard for her forgiveness.
so mad
But that's not what happened. I think their reunion was too fast and she still felt guilty for being angry with him and ends up apologizing. I did not like that, because he was the one who acted wrong and he had to grovel a lot more.
From this point the story went downhill for me. She was weak!
She is at a crossroads professionally and feels that something is missing in her life. This reunion makes her question what she really wants for the rest of her life.
Is professional life more important than personal?
Is it worth risking again and being hurt?
All these issues make her feel vulnerable and uncertain.
But she never found another love that matched her feelings for him and this messes with her.
Dane is painted like a perfect guy, even though he was the one who broke her heart and committed that great betrayal in the name of good intentions.
You see, hell is full of well-meaning people.
I would not forgive so easily! But I'm a bitch who holds a grudge and a cynic.
wall
But if it is good for our heroine I have to conform and accept, but I do not really understand such good and forgiven heroines.
Our hero won the girl and still as a bonus a mother to his daughter.
description
In the end it was an ok reading and it will not stay in memory.

Highlights:

“Why are you negotiating with a dog?”

“You know what they say—sunshine brings opportunities.”

My thighs clench together as I consider what Dane could do to me now. With that body. With those lips. With that damn smirk.

“She’s just a girl from my past. I ran into her. People run into their exes all the time.”

“You always were a gambler.” He winks. “Were a gambler. Were. Past tense. Trust me,” I say. “Gambling is for the young and dumb, and I am not either anymore.”

“I have to stop putting all my hopes on the line without some safety net. It’s too big of a gamble. I’ve fallen too hard, too many times.”

A part of me will never forgive him for what he did. I may have found the pieces of my broken heart, but they’ll never fit together the way they did before that Saturday morning when he destroyed it.

“There’s nothing sexy about a grown man being called daddy—sugar or not.”

“You know I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

"I bet you were thinking that while you screwed Katie. I bet you were thinking, ‘Boy, I hope this doesn’t hurt Neely.’”

“You didn’t mean to have a baby with my best friend while we were on a break.”

You’ll be here playing house or whatever it is you do with Katie and your kid.

“Probably not. You probably ruined our relationship for a one-night stand, didn’t you? Good work.”

“Everything happens for a reason, huh?” I ask. “I don’t know what caused you to sleep with Katie, but that’s your problem. I won in the end.” His eyes darken.

Dane as a father. Dane as Mia’s father.

Then when Sara moved in after our dating for a year, a woman I really liked and saw a potential future with, Mia latched on to her like a leech. And when six months went by and she left us, too, saying she wasn’t prepared to raise someone else’s child, Mia was broken.

Right or wrong, I broke up with her. I gave her hope we’d work some kind of long-distance thing out. I slept with Katie. I had a kid.

I’ve been with a few women since Sara, but those relationships have been a hookup here and there.

“You’re what I want Mia to be.”
Profile Image for Sonia.
807 reviews437 followers
Shelved as 'do-not-read-cheating'
January 15, 2023
😐😐😐😐😐😐 (thanks Kristina ❤️)

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

So, this zero and the FMC have been together and he decides he’s gonna break up with her FoR HeR OwN GoOd 🥴🙄. He gets drunk and sleeps with her “best friend” and gets her pregnant. He marries the best friend who later abandons them.

9/10 years have passed and the heroine has remained celibate 🙄. She comes back into town and takes over as the wife and mom… and has no qualms about it 😐. No grovel either…

Sorry. Kristina reminded me that the h (FMC) is the one that apologizes and grovels 😐 swoooooon 🙄

Noooooope. Not. For. Me.
Profile Image for Fancy Jenn.
134 reviews1 follower
December 27, 2018
Tumble was exactly what I needed to get me out of a book slump! I have always enjoyed Adriana Locke's books but this is by far my favorite. This story combined 2 of my favorite tropes , second-chance romance and a single dad. SWOON!. Neely returns to her small hometown in Tennessee after she quits her job trying to find direction. It doesn't take long for her to run in to the one person she doesn't want to see. Dane was her high school love and the one that not only broke her heart, but shattered it. Neely has no intention of staying in Dogwood Lane. Her life and any opportunities to live her dream as a female sports writer are in NYC. Dane knows he shouldn't get closer to Neely because she isn't here to stay. He has had enough women leave him to put himself or his daughter through it again. Fortunately, you can't fight chemistry. Dane and Neely are like magnets; there is no stopping the attraction. Can the high-school sweethearts stick to the friends with benefits agreement they decide on or will it be harder to say goodbye than they think? I adored the straightforward story without misunderstandings or silly arguments. Tumble was a story of a devoted father, a passionate and driven writer, a precious little girl and most importantly of how love conquers all.
Profile Image for NiCoLeTa E. {Addicted To Books}.
1,298 reviews85 followers
March 5, 2019
***4 "Erect!!!" stars (Bahahaha!!!)***

What do you have to give up to get what you want?"

This was my first book by Adriana Locke, even though a have a couple books of hers in my TBR list, and it was a lovely reading...
It was a second chance story, with a heroine that in a point in her life, she lost herself and the things that actually meant something and a single dad who had made several mistakes in his life, but by THE result, he couldn't regret them!!!!
This was a wonderful story about a girl and a boy who sacrificed their love for the wrong reasons, but when you are young, it's inevitable to not make these kind of mistakes, even though they could change your future!!!

“Life isn’t fair. If it was…” He looks around the porch before coming back to me. “If it was fair, you and I would’ve ended up together.”

Well, Neely returned in her hometone, at Dogwood Lane, Teneessee, after ten years of absence, because she quit her job and she was seeking something else to ease her mind...
But her idea to return back home, maybe is not so good after all, since in there, they are people who made her run away from... and specificaly, there is Dane.
Her first love, her first heartbreak.... Someone who never forgot and who can't never forgive...

"It's the second time he's burned me. It'll be the last."

Dane had his own problems... When he let Neely leave, he made some mistakes that he couldn't take back... But he never truly forgot her....
Now, he is working very hard and he has another one person to take care... And when Neely is coming back in town, after all this time away, he can't seem to stay away from her, even though she is still angry with him and even though, he can't afford to let her in his life...

“I broke her heart. I broke her heart in the worst way I could, and the fact she didn’t tell me to fuck right off is more than I really deserve. It’s more than I would’ve given me.”

So, what will happen with those two???
Will Neely forgive and give Dane a chance???
Will Dane take the chance to let her in, when he already know that she is with one foot out of the door???
Neely didn't plan to stay long... Just a couple of weeks, until she could find another job...
After all, her job is her dream, or not???

“I had just about forgotten you.”
“I had forgotten you.”
“You hadn’t forgotten about me,” he says. “If you had, you wouldn’t be reacting like this.”
“Like what?”
“Like you know just how good it is between us.”
“It was good between us,” I admit. “Was being the key term.”
“I have a feeling it would be even better these days.”

Well, this was a wonderful story and near to the end, it became too much emotional... My heart was aching for everyone...
Neely was a stong and independent woman... Her heart was broken because of Dane, and i have to admit that she was a little bit cruel to him, some times, but i can give her justice!!!!
She had always big dreams and Dane let her go because of that, but he made that damn mistake and their chances together had vanished...
I think that Neely after heartbreak, she really forgot how it was in Dogwood Lane and that trip made her reevaluate everything in her life... And if she could add Dane and Mia in the equation, they were too many things that she could abandon when she would return back in the city... So what will she choose???

"I've wanted this my entire life, Dane. How am I supposed to not take a chance of a lifetime?"
"This," he says, motioning between us, "was what I've wanted my entire life. This was my chance of a lifetime."
"Don't say that."
"You have your truth. I have mine."

"You have waited your whole life for this... But which moment do you mean?"

I really liked Dane... He was doing his best with his child. He was a wonderful parent...
Neely was his dream, as long as he was remembering his self... But she was unreachable!!!!
And then, she came back, and hope flooded him, but will she abandon everything and choose him??? Will be for the best to let her in his life and mess up not only his life, but Mia's???

"The only thing i can't get around is my Achilles' heel. The chink in my armor. The one thing that screws me all up every time: Neely."

“Despite everything my heart is telling me to do, I don’t have a choice with Neely. I have to let her go.”

Before i close my review, i would like to talk to you about some other persons...
I loved Mia. She was adorable!!!! And a very clever girl!!!
I liked all Neely's friends... Especially crazy Penn and Matt... Claire and Grace...
I liked Hailey and her romantic side!!!
I loved Neely's mom so much!!!! And Dane's dad!!!
As you can see, there were very loveable people in here, except the main couple...
And of course, I'm praying for the next books to be about Hailey, Penn, Matt, Claire... Adriana make good matches, please!!! Bahahaha....

“She’s not moving in, but she did turn down a job offer,” I say with a hint of smugness.
“Yes!” Haley fist pumps. “I’m so invested in this.”
Claire shakes her head. “This is the way things should be. Neely back home, living with you. Pregnant, but I’ll give you some time on that.”
“Gee, thanks,” I croak.”

"I know you love her. Heck, I do too... But she's not really our family..."
But she is our family," Mia insists. "I feel it in my heart."

***ARC kindly provided via NetGalley for the exchange of an honest review***
Profile Image for book bruin.
1,054 reviews277 followers
February 20, 2019
I am a huge fan of Adriana Locke's books, but I just could not get on board with this one. I feel like this book will be very polarizing for readers. One side will see a beautiful single dad/second chance romance, while the other will want to scream and throw their kindles across the room.

I did enjoy the wonderful fictional world Locke created (how cute was Dogwood Lane?!) and awesome set of secondary characters who added humor and heart to the story. I really liked Haley, Matt, and Penn was a hoot! Unfortunately, this one was a miss for me, but I'm sure others will really enjoy it!

*I voluntarily read an advance reader copy of this book*
Profile Image for Fallon.
41 reviews1 follower
February 3, 2019
I'm not sure where to start...

The writing for this book was really good, I think it had amazing potential with me.

I was excited about the second chance romance with a single dad. However, when the truth was revealed about their past, I checked out.

I could not bring myself to liking Dane at ALL!! I felt angry for Neely, and hated how when she expressed her anger, which faded to quickly, he played the upset victim. She ended up being the one to apologize.

This is a NO for me.
1,204 reviews
December 26, 2018
What a fantastic start to a new series.
I was hooked from the beginning till the end. I absolutely loved this book so so much. I was disappointed that it ended. The characters really touched my heart and really pulled at my heart strings especially Mia. It has a fantastic storyline with plenty to keep you wanting more. I can't wait for the next one.
Profile Image for Mg ♥ The Bookishmedialite.
1,150 reviews297 followers
March 6, 2019
description

With real characters and a plot filled with emotion, family, and love that you won't be able to put it down, Adriana Locke has delivered a good start to a new series that I will be definitely reading.

The last book I read by Locke was not a favorite so, I'm going to be honest here and say that I was not expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did. The main couple was good, but it was the secondary characters the ones that made this book for me—Mia, Grace, Haley, Matt, and Penn...Gawd I loved Penn. I can't wait to come back to Dogwood Lane and read more of them!

You can find me here: | INSTAGRAM
Profile Image for Ms reads a lot.
381 reviews
November 21, 2021
Cute and somewhat “clean” romance

I went into this hoping for Gilmore Girls but I got 7th Heaven instead. I’m probably really aging myself with those TV references, but oh well! For those who don’t know know either of those shows, I’ll translate: I was hoping for cute, quirky, small town charm, but I got wholesome, God is watching, PG romance. Don’t get me wrong, the Church wasn’t the central focus of this book; but as someone who is not at all religious, I just didn’t like all of the church going, and the saying grace at the dinner table, and offering up your prayers at night before bed. For me, it was weird.

I found this book to be very PG in terms of the smexy times between Dane and Neely (maybe PG-13, but only because of the F bombs). This was a second chance romance. There was a lot of history between Dane and Neely. I thought they had a lot of potential. There was SOOOOOO much buildup and chemistry between them, but when the big bang finally came, it was just so lacklustre! I wanted sparks, I wanted fireworks, I wanted to spontaneously combust! Instead, I was kinda bored 😐.

Even though there was a distinct lack of fireworks in the bedroom, I did like a lot of things about this book. The small town and all of the side characters were really charming. Dane and Neely were cute, in a PG way. I loved Dane and Mia’s relationship (I’m a huge sucker for a single dad that’s wrapped around his daughter’s finger). The ending was super sappy and adorable. I actually would have LOVED this book if it had more than one sex scene that was longer than 2 pages, as it was, it was too “clean” for me! 😂
Profile Image for Meegz Reads.
1,331 reviews103 followers
*5 Stars*

ARC kindly received in exchange for an honest review.

I haven't read many books by Adriana Locke as yet (on my TBR!), but this one definitely makes me want to catch up on all those that I have missed.

Neely and Dane's story was fantastic. To each other, they're both basically "the one that got away" and there are plenty of unresolved feelings and issues attached to their story.

After a huge decision in her New York life, Neely ends up back home visiting her Mum in Dogwood Lane, and boy oh boy do I love that little town. The characters in this story were fantastic. All our secondary characters were lots of fun and had well developed personalities, and I really can't wait to read more about them in future books.

Dane and Neely of course have much to go through and discover about themselves and each other, and seeing them reconnect, and also meeting Mia, was wonderful. I fell in love with everything as I was reading this story.

The ending was also swoony and perfect and I highly recommend. Can't wait for the next one in this series.

Review also on my blog - Tumble by Adriana Locke

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Profile Image for ANGELA MALTAIS.
85 reviews
September 6, 2019
This book has me raging. I couldn't even finish it. I am so annoyed.
I pretty much went in blind reading this and I literally never write book reviews but damn, this one got me heated

So spoiler alert, the guy Dane, total douche canoe.
I hate cheaters but I hate cheaters who actually blame the person who's heart they just shattered.
Dane actually sleeps with HER BEST FRIEND!!!!!! And boom he also knocks her ex best friend up.
Like are you kidding me?

But oh friends, it gets even worse.
He actually convinces her that he did it all for her. Swoon?

He fucks her BEST FRIEND AND KNOCKED NER UP, so she would leave their small town and spread her wings, go to college. *Cough* BULLSHIT *Cough*

Dane is a pussy. I don't wanna hear the "we were are on break" excuse for cheating.

You fucked her best friend!! GTFO

Then he expects this Neely to play step mom to his kid. And she fucking does it !!! Wtf.

Couldn't root for either Neely at all. And Dane, well see above.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Jewlsbookblog.
2,083 reviews67 followers
February 26, 2019
A determined career woman, a sexy single dad, and his precocious little girl-I was sold on this book by the blurb alone!

Neely is back home after an unexpected...hiatus from work. And of course, the Fates are laughing at her, because the first person she sees is Dane. Dane, who she split up with over a decade ago, leaving him over a mistake Neely couldn’t forgive and neither one could forget. So, what’s a girl supposed to do when she’s faced with a dilemma of going after a job she always wanted...or embracing a sweet homecoming, the likes to which she didn’t even know she wanted, much less needed?

I love a good second chance romance and I wasn’t disappointed! This was my first time reading Adriana Locke and I was impressed. I liked her writing style, the angst level was mellow, and I loved the characters. Neely, Dane, and his daughter Mia won me over with love, laughter, and a sweet chance at starting something new. The secondary characters were also absolutely hysterical with their small town, nosy charm and unwavering support! And the romance! I loved how Dane and Neely didn’t jump right back into things and took their time, which had me fully invested in the outcome. My only complaint was the epilogue. It was okay, more of a happily for now (HFN) kind of chapter rather then an HEA, so I am hoping to catch glimpses of these guys in future books!

Profile Image for Sarah.
1,577 reviews1,226 followers
March 10, 2019
***AVAILABLE NOW - FULL REVIEW***

5 Home CROWNS

LORD, oh LORD. How does Adriana Locke always make me swoon? This small town romances just melt my heart, and they make me want to pack up and move to these fictitious places.

Dane is single dad goals. The protective way he loves his daughter does something to me. He is the perfect blend of hard and soft, and I enjoyed the interactions between him and Neely. His daughter definitely softens this emotionally cold man, makes him lovable until he softens for the heroine.

Neely is a great heroine who is torn between returning and staying in the small town or going back or the big city to her dream job. It is through her that readers see the themes grow and develop, where we see the importance and family and love of work and how goals and dreams shift and change, which is okay.

This story is just pure second chance romance perfection. Seriously. The sweet moments where they rekindle their romance, the hard moments where they deal with the hurt of their past mistakesC and the cute family moments where we see glimpses of where their future will make you life and swoon. I enjoyed every character and every moment. Again, the conflict is clear early on, but the scenes were written with such emotion, that it didn’t really effect my enjoyment of it all.

I’m loving the start of Adriana Locke’s new series, and I can’t wait to spend more time in this town.

ARC received in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Mandi Beck.
Author 26 books2,244 followers
February 11, 2019
Full review coming soon! Absolutely loves this book and wish I could move to Dogwood Lane!
Profile Image for "Avonna.
1,093 reviews295 followers
February 25, 2019
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

TUMBLE (Dogwood Lane #1) by Adriana Locke is a second chance contemporary romance that is the first book in a new series set in the small town of Dogwood Lane, TN. The hero and heroine have some issues that are still as fresh today, 10 years later, as they were when the heroine left town for college and then on to New York City to work in sports publishing.

Neely Kimber was on track to achieve her dream job until she was cheated out of a promotion. She quit and returned home to Dogwood Lane and her childhood home to lick her wounds and regroup. She is happy to be home with her mom until she runs into the boy, now man, who broke her heart and is the main reason she stayed away for so long.

Dane Madden knows he is the reason Neely has stayed away. He hurt her in the worst possible way, but it gave him his daughter, Mia so he cannot regret it. Now she is back in town and she ends up helping at the gym were Dane’s daughter is a junior gymnast. Even though Dane knows Neely is only home for a short time, he cannot stop himself from pursuing her and letting her get close to Mia.

Is a career in New York City really what this small town girl’s heart really wants? Can the past be forgiven and this couple become a family?

I have to say that I was having some difficulty in the first few chapters liking Neely, UNTIL I found out what Dane had done. I felt that Ms. Locke’s handling of all the strong emotions is well written and realistic. There is only one sex scene not behind-closed-doors and it is not overly explicit.

The secondary characters are all entertaining and I am looking forward to reading their stories in future books in this series.

Thank you to Montlake Romance and Net Galley for allowing me to read this eARC.
Profile Image for Pamela Lilley.
1,898 reviews27 followers
December 11, 2018
Oh wow! I love a good old second chance romance and Tumble is truly adorable, as is Dane Madden. He’s the ultimate scrumdidlyumptious single dad, and a perfect book boyfriend. Living in Dogwood Lane, Tennessee, he has a wonderful Southern drawl too (the author describes it perfectly). Neely Kimber on the other hand has New York in her blood, after all, she left without a backward glance all those years ago, admittedly with a broken heart, but surely she’s over Dane now. Maybe not, because if she hadn’t just quit her job I’m sure she wouldn’t be anywhere near Dogwood Lane, she also has every intention of returning to New York when once she sorts outtake mess that is currently her career. Such lovely, interesting characters, from Neely and Dane to Matt, Penn and of course Mia, who truly was the star of the book. A wonderful story, great writing and so very addictive once I warmed up to Neely (I have to be honest and say it took me a good few chapters to warm up to her), but I did. I am so looking forward to more from Dogwood Lane. I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is my honest review.
Profile Image for Cyndi.
2,310 reviews95 followers
March 1, 2019
An adorable second chance romance. Our hero and heroine were childhood sweethearts, but one night sent it all crashing to the ground. Broken hearts all around. Adulthood getting tougher. Years later our heroine has taken a hard knock at work in NYC and finally goes home. Can she ever forgive him and where does true happiness live?
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,035 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.