Start by marking “Mostly Plants: 101 Delicious Flexitarian Recipes from the Pollan Family” as Want to Read:
Mostly Plants: 101 Delicious Flexitarian Recipes from the Pollan Family

Mostly Plants: 101 Delicious Flexitarian Recipes from the Pollan Family

Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. With these seven words, Michael Pollanbrother of Lori, Dana, and Tracy Pollan, and son of Corkystarted a national conversation about how to eat for optimal health.  A decade later, the value of a plant-based diet is widely acceptedand yet for many people, easier said than done.

So what does choosing mostly plants look like in real
Published April 16th 2019 by Harper Wave

To ask other readers questions about Mostly Plants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mostly Plants

Start your review of Mostly Plants: 101 Delicious Flexitarian Recipes from the Pollan Family
Brenda Williams
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best cookbook of 2019! I loved this book so much I bought it for my collection.
Cris
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not what I was expecting. Considering Pollan's emphasis on eating plants, I was surprised to find such a concentration on meat in the recipes in this book.
Danyelle  Drexler ( danythebookworm_ )
Ive already made the Watermelon, Feta and Arugula Salad for our Easter Dinner and it was a big hit. I look forward to making more of the 101 amazing recipes. ...more
Lynne
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Im always looking for good meatless recipes and thought this looked promising. Im an experienced cook, and I hate to think about the experiences of a newbie with this book. Comparing the exactitude of Julia Child, Marcella Hazan, Pierre Franey, or Maida Heatter to this book makes the Pollans look like bush league kitchen messes. Neither economy of equipment nor sensible technique are to be found in Mostly Plants.
However, if you already know what you are doing in the kitchen, you can ignore a
Leigh
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good ideas and very nice photos!
❀ Susan G
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
As we expand our repertoire of meatless meals, this is a book that I will now purchase for our home after borrowing a copy from the library. I love the tone of the book and it's flexitarian approach highlighting that it is ok to have a vegan, vegetarian or less meat approach. It has some great recipes that we look forward to trying!
KC
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice recipe selection for all types of eaters.
Lara
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Once again, I just found the recipes...uninteresting. There wasn't a single thing that really caught my eye. This might be a good place to start if you're just looking to cut back on meat some and haven't read any other cookbooks, but that's not the place I'm in, so maybe I'm just not the audience for it.
Christina Karvounis
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. For the experts out there, theres a lot of seen that but its an excellent beginning book for new flexetarians. Highly recommend...great for recipe tweaking! ...more
Megan
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Im ready to purchase this one and make almost everything in it. I love the focus on plant-forward eating. The recipes are approachable and look/sound fantastic. ...more
Erin Lawwill
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
It was average for a cookbook. I made a couple of the recipies, but I was hoping it would be a bit easier to things I consider "staples" (besides noodles).

I would recommend this book for people who may have more time to cook and not be working with young children's pallets. I may give it another chance in five years, when I have both those things. Smile.
Salamah
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book to take home after reading the intro, eat food, not too much and mostly plants. That was the perfect way to explain how I feel about food now at this point in my life. I have learned so much about how meat is harmful to our bodies. In addition I have experienced the effects of overeating (GERDS) and sugar (inflammatory pain) can have on the body. Since I have made changes I have felt better and am not on regular medication. So this book only added to my knowledge of ...more
Kathleen
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, library, 2019
I've been a fan of Michael Pollen for ages and this seemed a logical book to investigate.
Often I find cookbooks are tiresome because they all want you to reinvent your pantry/kitchen/style. This was more informative, with some really enjoyable recipes. I'll never cut meat out of my diet completely but do agree that less can still fill the void.
I've recommended it to several people.
Carina Johnson
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I found the title somewhat misleading.. thinking to find vegan dishes but they are mainly vegetarian and with meat or seafood and dairy.
But if you are not plant based and want to eat whole foods this book is for you.
Louise
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I expected this book to be strictly vegetarian and or vegan. It was not. I was pleasantly surprised by how many recipes I want to save and try on my own. Lots of variety and great explanations within the recipes. Its a good reference for unique vegetable faire. ...more
Cindy Gold
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book which provides easy to follow, quick from preparation to table and ALWAYS delicious.

This is my go to along with their first book The Pollan Family Table.
Thank you Pollans for helping me provide my friends and family with such a great variety of memorable meals.
Sydney Legg
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Loved it! Eat food, not too much. Mostly plants. Can I be a part of the Pollan family?

- Mediterranean crunch salad
- Roasted tomato soup with gruyere chickpea croutons
- Spinach, mushroom and feta cutlets
- White bean and kale quesadillas
- Sheet pan tacos with crispy brussels sprouts
Ann
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful pictures and full of recipes I want to try!
Jessica
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks-2019
When Michael Pollan said in his book In Defense of Food, "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." as his guide to healthy eating, he started a national conversation about food and what we should eat. This quote is also the inspiration for this cookbook created by his 3 sisters and his mother. While the Pollan family grew up eating the typical meat, starch, and veggie meals over time many of them moved into vegetarianism or flexitarianism. So, this cookbook is a way for them to share some of ...more
Kim Friedman
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-health
I was a little disappointed with this cookbook. The cookbook itself is BEAUTIFUL. The photography and layout is gorgeous. And the recipes all look super yummy. However, for someone leaning toward a plant based diet, I was surprised to see a whole chapter on chicken and whole chapter on fish, and plenty of dairy. I've read their brothers books (Michael Pollan, "In Defense of Food") so I expected a more vegetarian slant. They provide a key on each recipe - dairy free, vegan, etc, but it's all over ...more
Amanda Judd
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wide selection of recipes for anyone looking to up their vegetable intake. Recipes are well-labelled and written clearly. Gorgeous photos as well.

I got this for the library but I'm considering buying it because it does have a lot of great, fairly simple meal ideas. If you've eaten at many vegetarian restaurants, I don't think the recipes will seem that imaginative to you, but I also don't think that's who this is written for!
Yvonne
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A comprehensive set of inspirational and delicious recipes for people who want to extend the boundaries surrounding their concept of a meal. Don't be intimidated by the number of ingredients in some of these recipes; many can be simplified to easy to find ingredients. Also helpful are a listing of pantry supplies and kitchen utensils that will aid in preparation.
Holly
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
The "flexitarian" diet is very interesting to me. I'm trying to eat more like that this year. A few of these recipes caught my attention and I definitely will be trying them out. But at the same time, a lot of them look inaccessible. But the pictures were gorgeous and I love the emphasis on a vegetable-heavy diet.
Xtinazzz
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty to look at. I thought the recipes were a bit boring and uninspiring. Probably better for someone just getting into cooking. Some of their tips just annoyed me (cover a pot of water to help it boil faster). Was looking forward to more veggie recipes, but most of these had meat.
Deborah
The recipes in this book are definitely not 'mostly plants'. They aren't even mostly vegetarian. I tagged about 7 of the 101 recipes I want to try. I'll report back and rate this book after I cook several of them.
Karli
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Yup. Mostly plants. I know. I have heard this before.
LM
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Basic to mediocre but will keep it for a reference.
Morris
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Flexitarian is THE way to go for personal health, and the environment! Beautiful book and photos, delicious and wonderful recipes, clearly explained.
Melissa
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The pictures were beautiful and definitely worth an extra star. The rest was fine. Nothing ground-breaking.
E
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not inspiring or better than any other normal cooking book out there. Doesn't seem overly plant based at all.

• Zaitoun: Recipes from the Palestinian Kitchen
  • Nothing Fancy: Unfussy Food for Having People Over
  • The Clean Plate: Eat, Reset, Heal
  • Where Cooking Begins: Uncomplicated Recipes to Make You a Great Cook: A Cookbook
  • Half Baked Harvest Super Simple: More Than 125 Recipes for Instant, Overnight, Meal-Prepped, and Easy Comfort Foods: A Cookbook
  • Love and Lemons Every Day: More Than 100 Bright, Plant-Forward Recipes for Every Meal: A Cookbook
  • Indian-ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family
  • Plant-Based on a Budget: Delicious Vegan Recipes for Under $30 a Week, for Less Than 30 Minutes a Meal
  • Vegetables Unleashed: A Cookbook
  • Antoni in the Kitchen
  • Dinner for Everyone: 100 Iconic Dishes Made 3 Ways--Easy, Vegan, or Perfect for Company: A Cookbook
  • Rachael Ray 50: Memories and Meals from a Sweet and Savory Life: A Cookbook
  • No Crumbs Left: Whole30 Endorsed, Recipes for Everyday Food Made Marvelous
  • The Love and Lemons Cookbook: An Apple-to-Zucchini Celebration of Impromptu Cooking
  • Milk Street: The New Rules: Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook
  • Binging with Babish: 100 Recipes Recreated from Your Favorite Movies and TV Shows
  • Ottolenghi SIMPLE
  • Every Day Is Saturday: Recipes and Strategies for Easy Cooking, Every Day of the Week
Tracy Pollan is an Emmy awardnominated actress who has enjoyed a successful career in television and film, and on the Broadway stage. She lives in Manhattan with her husband, Michael J. Fox, and their four children. She has served on the board of the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research since its inception in 2000. Equal to Tracys commitment to social causes and the arts is her ...more