Start by marking “Off Script” as Want to Read:
Off Script

Off Script

(Seeking Mansfield #3)

Emma gets a Hollywood-tinged, feminist update in this funny and fierce retelling of Austen’s classic about a well-intentioned but tragically misguided matchmaker.

The summer after her first year of college, teen starlet Emma Crawford returns home to Manhattan to prepare for the role of a lifetime—and play career matchmaker to her friends. When Emma’s search for an assistant
Published January 21st 2020 by Flux

To ask other readers questions about Off Script, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off Script

Start your review of Off Script
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
DNF @14%

There wasn't really anything wrong with this, it just was not holding my interest in the slightest. The writing felt off to me - just very simple and stilted, so it wasn't pulling me in either. A miss for me, but I'm sure other will fnd this story fun.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the third installment of the Seeking Mansfield series, Watson gave us her spirit on Emma by Jane Austen. This Emma was still a matchmaker, but instead of love matches, she was making career matches.

One of the things I always do, when I read a retelling, is to get a refresher on the source material. I am always curious to compare the old and the new, and I was really surprised by how much of the original Emma existed in this very NOW, very timely take on the original story. She also did a
Christy
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Look, I know absolutely nothing about Jane Austen and her stories but every time I read a Kate Watson book, I get a little more curious. Not going to lie, Off Script in combination with the latest Emma movie trailer has me even more intrigued!

We live in an era of Instagram influencers and the #MeToo movement, which Kate appropriate explores in her story. Yes, Emma is a celebrity and comes from celebrity, but she feels equally as down to earth and real as someone who lives next door. She could be
Kathy - Books & Munches
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
TRIGGERS: (view spoiler)
REP: Bi-racial characters, half-Jewish main character

Since our main character, Emma, is a celebrity, the entire story is set in that world. It made for a very interesting read since I feel like we're often confronted with the consequences of celebrities' pressure. It also shed
Samantha Hastings
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jane Austen meets Hollywood #metoo movement in this brilliant and timely retelling of EMMA.

Emma Crawford (who you might remember from SEEKING MANSFIELD) and her brother Harlan are preparing for their new film roles. Emma has a new assistant Brittany whom she wants to turn into a star. But she has to first avoid her old rival Vic and her aunt Kelly. But the path to stardom is never easy and both girls experience the darker side of entertainment industry.

Like her literary predecessor, this Emma
Krysti
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is Jane Austen's EMMA meets the me too movement, and it was absolutely WONDERFUL! To reimagine a classic in a way that is so powerful and socially relevant to the challenges women face in modern society is nothing short of brilliant.

I'm a huge fan of Kate Watson's books, but I think this may very well be her best yet. The characters were wonderful, the story engrossing, and the romance swoon worthy. This was such an enjoyable read, which also tackled some heavy issues head-on. Being
Kristine
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I have...mixed emotions.

You must remember this is a modern retelling of Jane Austen's "Emma" or you are not going to be a fan of Emma Crawford in this story.

I feel like this book started a few chapters later than it did - I felt a bit dropped in the middle of a whole lotta drama llama but not quite enough backstory. That being said, this is a really great modern retelling of Emma.

Deserving it's own paragraph/section thing of my review: Kate Watson has put a really important message in here
Suzie Waltner
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was completely charmed by Kate Watson’s debut. From her updated take on Jane Austen’s Mansfield Park to Finley Price’s backstory, I loved every minute of Seeking Mansfield. The first companion novel, Shoot the Moon, was a bit of a let down after the high expectations that the first book set.

When I saw that Off Script was returning to the formula of the first, I hoped the magic would return.
On the one hand, Watson returns to Jane Austen for inspiration and her focus on some of the secondary
Amanda
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, new-adult, arc
First, thanks to NetGalley for an e-ARC of this book!

In this, the third book in Watson's re-telling series about this particular group of friends, Kate Watson shows off how she has grown as a writer, presenting more mature topics and complicated characters. Watson delves deep into the topics of Hollywood privilege, abuses of men in power, and navigating how those two topics are intertwined. Getting to know a deeper side of Emma was really fantastic and I loved watching her grow from the bubbly
Diana Brown
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read Off Script by Kate Watson. This is a YA modern retelling of Jane Austen's Emma, and although it is book 3 in the Seeking Mansfield series, it can be read as a stand alone. Emma Crawford is preparing for the role of her career, when she meets Brittany while searching for an assistant. She knows that Brittany can be a star; but can the two of them make it to the top in Hollywood? I must admit, I couldnt really get into this book. Whether it is because I ...more
Caitlyn Lynch
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemp-romance
A modern retelling of Jane Austen’s classic Emma, this is a Hollywood-inspired take on the story. Now, before I start, I’m going to say that Emma was actually my least favourite Austen novel and in my opinion, Emma Woodhouse was Austen herself’s least favourite heroine. Pretty, rich and spoiled? You bet Miss Austen really quite enjoyed writing that scene where Knightley takes Emma down several dozen pegs.

That said, there have been some great retakes on Emma over the years, the movie Clueless
Heidi
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Jane Austen's Emma meets the #metoo movement. I was sceptical, but I have to admit that it does work. But I nearly gave up on it twice. It took me a few weeks to get through the first third of the story. I wasn't interested in reading about how hard life is for a famous young actress, and the main character Emma was pretty obnoxious most of the time. I also had issues with the writing style and the pacing, with scenes either being dragged out or characters suddenly jumping from one scene to the ...more
Alondra
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley-reads
Okay, why didn't i read this book before? This was one of my late netgalley reads and honestly... i'm beating myself about it because it is so so good.

This book is a retelling of Emma by Jane Austen (which i haven't finished but as a Jane Austen fan i can say that Kate Watson captures the essense that makes Austen what she is) set in Hollywood, we follow two siblings that are stars since they were kids and now, after a disaster with their parents, they are back at the acting scene.
This book
Amy
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
My blog: A Magical World of Words

Source: Netgalley. I voluntarily read and reviewed this book. All thoughts are my own.

The writing isn't memorable, but Watson writes well and the dialogue, especially, is fantastic. It's entertaining, witty, and clever. Sometimes it veers into cheesiness, but generally it's strong. The dialogue is easily my favourite aspect of this novel.

Unfortunately, the plot is extremely dull. There's no sense of urgency, no truly exciting scenes, and I struggled to keep
Germaine
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

*Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley for free in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.*

I went into Off Script without knowing what to expect. Perhaps there was a mistake and I was sent the wrong ARC, because I never actually requested it. Despite all of this the book has proved itself to be worthy of my time and I am actually quite happy that I've read this.

What I liked:
When I found out Off Script was a modern day Emma retelling,
Naomi
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emma and Harlan Crawford are sibling actors, the children of famous but now divorced parents who view them as a meal ticket. Emma and Harlan protect one another above all else, sometimes blindly.

Emma has returned to NYC to prepare for an upcoming role. Harlan is in training to portray a young soccer star & is paired with a professional soccer player Liam. Problem is, Liam and Harlan already know each other - Harlan dated (and subsequently broke up with) Liam’s sister Finley. And Emma
Taffy
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Opening line:
"Emma Crawford was a genius."

Emma is a lose, but fun, retelling of EMMA by Jane Austen. The difference with the two heroine's, is that Emma Crawford makes career matches instead of love matches.
Emma left her life to support her brother, Harlan, through his mental breakdown after a nasty break up with one of their mutual friends. They both were on track for big movie premieres, both seemed happy and ready for the next script of their lives. Until they meet the soccer star Harlan is
Cathy
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Emma is one of my favorite Jane Austen stories, so I was really excited to get my hands on an advanced copy of this book, which is a modern day retelling of Emma.

The third book in the series, it could definitely be read as a stand alone, which was great because I have a terrible memory when it comes to books.

I did enjoy the story overall. Emma is an actress who has been raised in the industry, being exploited by her parents and others along the way. And, very timely on the author's part, a nice
Elizabeth
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an advanced copy of this book through NetGalley and the publisher for an honest review. Having not read the first two books in the series, the author does a good job of introducing the main characters and background. You could certainly read the book as a standalone.

If you like reading quirky books about actors and their daily lives as well as romances, you will like the book. Emma thinks what she is told, that she's sparkle but no substance, that her talent is skin deep. She is only
bookreviewer_98
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you netgalley and the publishers for this Gem of a book! This is my first book by the author Kate Watson and I completely loved it. I love recreation of Jane Austen's novels and Emma is one of my favourites of all time. And moreover I am a big fan of the movie 'Clueless' too. I wanted to read this book as soon as I saw it and it did not disappoint! I simply loved the characters! Such a teen drama with hollywood elements and classic Jane Austen plot made this a very cute and entertaining ...more
Tamara Morning
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Off Script
Author: Kate Watson
Genre: Fiction
Rating: 4 out of 5

Emma Crawford is a teen starlet home for the summer. She’s preparing for the role of a lifetime, playing matchmaker to her friends, and trying to keep her brother—also a star—out of trouble. Emma’s new assistant, Brittany, is her current project. She’s determined to groom Brittany for a future as a star—that’s what Brittany wants, right?

Liam is the only one brave enough to call Emma out. He’s a soccer star and brother to Emma’s
Jas
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-release
I didn't read the first book of this series and was a little scared if that would be a problem. Turns out, it isn't!

The first part of the book was hard to get through. The writing style (lots and lots of dialogue and not a lot of action) combined with a bratty selfish main character made it a little difficult. But it gets better! Emma goes through a real development throughout the book and especially in the end.

The slow-burn romance and the #metoo-theme were a great addition to the book. I do
Phyliss Hasen
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
First, I love any book that is a retelling of a Jane Austin romance. I love all of Ms Austin’s books. So, I was very excited to read Off Script and Kate Watson is a new author for me. Although I enjoyed the book, I don’t remember Emma being so confusing and requiring to pay so much attention to all of the characters and who they were and who ended up with who. Maybe because I have read all of Jane Austin’s books at least 20 times. I did love Emma in the book and adored Liam and as always, when ...more
Kookie9200
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me to review this book!

I have to say I quite enjoyed this one. Emma is a force, and her growth throughout the novel was inspiring. I felt like she changed in the best ways, She took moments that could have broken her and grew from them. She stopped allowing people to use her, and I related to that greatly.

The book is cute, and sassy, but at the same time, it also holds to strength and positivity. It touches on some tough subjects, but does
Lisa
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books-read
This is a Netgalley ARC review. All opinions are solely my own.

This book was just kind of ok for me. I think part of the problem is I hadn’t read the other 2 books in the series. The other problem is I really don’t like the busybody that is Emma. I realize that’s the point of her character but I think it co7ld have been done differently.

Overall, the writing & story are good. I think if I read the other 2 books I might enjoy this one more.
Mirtha
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Off Script by Kate Watson

Although I enjoyed this retelling with a more modern twist of Jane Austin's Emma I was left with mixed emotions towards the end.

There are parts that had me clinging more towards really liking where this story takes its characters but in the end I was left with the feeling that there should be a little more back story to it's characters.

Thank you #netgalley #flux for this copy in exchange for my honest review
Shareca
Jan 16, 2020 is currently reading it
A genuinely enjoyable retelling of Jane Austen. I found the main character, Emma, to be enjoyable, for the most part. At first, you may not enjoy her as much -- but after you get through the first few chapters, she's easier to digest. A great Fall read for anyone who is interested in a heartwarming story. The narrative was easy to read, one of the books that we would recommend for the narrative and writing style as well.
Hillary
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Usually the best thing (to me) about modern adaptations of classic novels is the quiet hum of familiarity as you find the corresponding associations and recognize old friends in new characters. Off Script took the story in a different (and very current) direction, and did it so well I didn't mind a bit.
novelsnerd ☆Anshrah☆
Emma and Liam's relation was so cute, their banters and flirting...ahh Emma's stand against her father and her helping Brittany stand against assault was applaud worthy. I felt some topics raise in the book didnt get as much attention as they should have or were left unresolved. All in all, I enjoyed reading it and would recommend it to anyone who wants an insight into the on the front glamorous life of Hollywood. ...more
Allisa White
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Kate Watson's writing with Lovestruck, which came out last year. So when I found Off Script on Netgalley, I snapped it up immediately. And I'm SO glad I did! This book was so much fun!

Quick Thoughts
-Full disclaimer, I think I've seen the Gwyneth Paltrow Emma once...a very long time ago—and I shamefully haven't read the book yet. So I'll probably reread this book once I've done that :D until then, I can't say anything about the actual adaption side of this book.
-There must

• A Year of Chasing Love
  • When Polly Met Olly
  • In Five Years
  • Light Changes Everything
  • The Stopover (The Miles High Club, #1)
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Lucky Caller
  • The Kissing Game
  • Heartless Hero (Crowne Point #1)
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • The Worst Best Man
  • Sick Kids in Love
Kate Watson is a young adult writer, wife, mother of three, and the tenth of thirteen children. Originally from Canada, she attended college in the States and holds a BA in Philosophy from Brigham Young University. A lover of travel, speaking in accents, and experiencing new cultures, she has studied in Israel and lived in Brazil, the American South, and now calls Arizona home.

Her first novel,

Seeking Mansfield (3 books)
  • Seeking Mansfield (Seeking Mansfield, #1)
  • Shoot the Moon (Seeking Mansfield, #2)