Start by marking “The Captain's Ghostly Gamble” as Want to Read:
The Captain's Ghostly Gamble

The Captain's Ghostly Gamble

When a ghostly dandy and his roguish companion try their hand at matchmaking, things definitely go bump in the night.

For centuries, foppish Captain Cornelius Sheridan and brooding John Rookwood have haunted the mansion they duelled and died for. Now these phantom foes must join forces to save both their home and their feuding descendents.

But when Captain Sheridan sacrifice
Published September 11th 2018 by Pride Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Captain's Ghostly Gamble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Captain's Ghostly Gamble

Start your review of The Captain's Ghostly Gamble
Cadiva
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As we approach Halloween, this utterly bewitching novella will be released in time to bring a romance with a twist and a wonderful addition to the Captivating Captain's series.

Out two erstwhile ghostly heroes are given a somewhat different awakening when two of their descents come to sell off the manor house they fought a duel and died over.

For the Captain and Rookwood the arrival of Dan and Jenny gives them an opportunity to realise their feelings have somewhat changed during the past three cen
Frankie (Chicks, Rogues and Scandals)
Oh, my goodness! How much do love this series?…Really, there isn’t enough time – or space in the post to say. As soon as I got offered to read this, I jumped at the chance to read it and I did stay up way past my bedtime to read it 😉 The Captain’s Ghostly Gamble is book three in the wonderfully diverse and splendiferous Captivating Captains series, I have fallen in love with this series, you never know what’s going to come next. Or for that matter what era you’re going to be transported to.

After
Steph Warren
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
*I received a free ARC of this novella, with thanks to the authors. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

The Captain’s Ghostly Gamble is a short romp in the Captivating Captains series by these two skillful romantic writers.

Told from the point of view of two mischievous, feuding ghostly frenemies as they meddle in the affairs of two of their descendants (one each), this novella is a quick, sweet read.

Most of the romance and all of the eroticism comes towards the climax of the story
Jess
This book was provided for free by the publisher and Love Bytes in exchange for an honest review.

This review was first posted to Love Bytes: LGBTQ Book Reviews. It has been slightly edited here for content.

I’ve been a fan of both books in this series so far, though it’s hard to call it a series because all of the books are so different. The first was historical, the second modern, and this one is a ghost story. It’s also, unfortunately, the weakest link so far.

I really enjoyed the set-up. Rookwo
Lena Grey
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
“From goulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night, good Lord, deliver us!” ~The Cornish and West Country Litany, 1926

Captain Cornelius Sheridan and John Rookwood, of 'The Captain's Ghostly Gamble' by Catherine Curzon and Eleanor Harkstead, are about their regular routine when company comes calling. As Cornelius and John contemplate how best to get rid of them, they discover that their “ghost hunter” guests are none other than Dan Rookwell and Jenny Sherida
VVivacious
A ScatteredThoughtsandRogueWords Review. This review can also be found here.

John Rookwood and Captain Cornelius Sheridan have been haunting the very Manor they died fighting over, two hundred and fifty years ago.

On their death anniversary, a couple turns up to disturb their eternal rest and fantastically turn up to be related to the very pair. It soon becomes clear to the ghostly duo that the couple harbours many misconceptions and in an effort to ensure their happily ever after they play into t
Anne Barwell
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, m-m
This was a cute story, very sweet and light. There is some angst, and I loved the way it was resolved—very romantic! The story is a quick read, and the perfect way to finish my day. I liked the way the two sets of relationships paralleled each other.

The two ghosts are very quirky. I enjoyed the banter between them, which starts as quite surface and then grows into something much deeper, a reflection of what has been there for a long time. They’re very much a product of their time, yet with a hin
Mari  Cardenas
4 Stars!

This was such a fun, quirky, hot and entertaining short story! (Ghostly) Enemies-to-Lovers with just a smidgen of MF. Both Sheridan and Rookwood were hilarious and even if they had spent the last centuries together as ghosts in the mansion where they dueled and died, they were quite oblivious to their feelings for one another. It wasn't until their descendants, Jen and Dan, came to check the house to see if they should sell it and Sheridan and Rookwood decide to play matchmakers that the
C.F. White
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a short, fun read that fits nicely into the Captivating Captain's series that I'm rather fond of!

Set in modern day where two ghost hunters from long rivalling families want to check out the rumours that their old stately home is haunted before either selling up or moving in, the two ghosts that have haunted the walls for centuries have to step out to save not only their house but also their ancestry.

It's a fun tale of finding love even in death.

Recommended for a quick read that'll ha
Ruby Scalera
A lovely and simple diversion, chock full of the wit, humor and joyful writing we can expect from Curzon and Harkstead, but with a unique and adventurous perspective. Thought short, this was nothing less than a delightful read.
Art Ramirez
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny engaging short story

Another in the Captains series. A funny ghostly tale in time for October's Halloween. You will enjoy the two rather camp ghosts.
Lillian Francis
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun short story about a pair of ghosts--former enemies--who haunt the same house.
A quick read (took me less than 45 minutes).
Fun and just a little bit heart-wrenching.
Heather
4-1/2 Stars
When a duel ended with both men dead I doubt either expected to be stuck with each other for eternity but that is exactly where they find themselves some two hundred years later. Rockwood and Sheridan have been pushing each others buttons as well as letting their families know they(and others especially a frisky feline) linger. As a old classic film fan, The Captain's Ghostly Gamble reminds me kind of a mix of The Odd Couple meets Topper meets Beyond Tomorrow, but oh so more.

Ghostly G
Nov 05, 2018
Dennis Crotts
Jan 26, 2019

• The Tarot Sequence: Scenes from Quarantine
  • ROLL OVER AND DIE: I Will Fight for an Ordinary Life with My Love and Cursed Sword! (Light Novel) Vol. 1
  • Nick
  • The Prince and His Bedeviled Bodyguard (Paranormal Princes #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • P.S. I Spook You
  • Get a Clue (Bookish Boyfriends, #4)
  • Fangirl, Vol. 1: The Manga
  • Two Haunted Hearts
  • Proper English
  • Just a Little Wickedness (The Brotherhood #1)
  • That Could Be Enough
  • Just a Little Temptation (The Brotherhood, #2)
  • Before I Wake
  • Single (Single Dads #1)
  • Freak (The F-Word, #2)
  • Mack's Perfectly Ghastly Homecoming (Mack's Marvelous Manifestations, #2)
  • Flaunt (The F-Word, #1)
Catherine Curzon is an author and royal historian of the 18th century.

Her work has been featured on HistoryExtra.com, the official website of BBC History Magazine, and in publications such as All About History, Who Do You Think You Are?, and Jane Austen's Regency World. She has spoken at venues including Kenwood House, Wellington College, the Royal Pavilion, the National Maritime Museum, the Hurli

News & Interviews