Start by marking “The Window” as Want to Read:
The Window

The Window

What kind of demons await you tonight?

For Richie, life's constant cheap shots are adding up. When he finds something is watching him, he never dreamed that it would show him everything that he ever wanted.

When his son, James, comes to stay for the last month of summer, the changes in his father's behavior come to the forefront. What is his father doing staring into the win
Published September 28th 2018 by Alien Agenda

To ask other readers questions about The Window, please sign up.
Glenn Rolfe No. LOTS of sex and gore, Sorry. Check out my novel, ABRAM'S BRIDGE if you want try something less vicious. …moreNo. LOTS of sex and gore, Sorry. Check out my novel, ABRAM'S BRIDGE if you want try something less vicious. (less)

Start your review of The Window
Mort
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that I'm not really a fan of possession stories. And when a priest is called in for an exorcism, I tap out. After THE EXORCISM, there have been very few of these stories that have impressed me. The movie FALLEN comes to mind, because they went a different direction with it and I loved it.

Mr. Rolfe manages to miss that particular trap by avoiding the priest angle altogether - kudos. THE WINDOW is indeed a possession story, but the battle is left to the son (James) of the ma
Michelle
Mar 11, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“He didn’t notice the reflection he’d left in the kitchen window as it watched him drive away.”

Glenn Rolfe brings a great twist to the demon/possession theme in this coming-of-age story and keeps readers on their toes with plenty of violence, gore, suspense and sexually charged horror. After only being a few pages into this horror gem, I was quickly adding more of Glenn’s work to my TBR. Great music references were an added treat in the creepy tale that ends with one heck of a punch.

“The dem
Sadie Hartmann
2.5
I always say this, but just in case this is the first review you've ever read from me, I'll say it again: Coming-of-age stories combined with horror are my absolute favorite. Think of stories like, Stephen King's IT, SUMMER OF NIGHT by Dan Simmons, CHILDREN OF THE DARK by Jonathan Janz or DECEMBER PARK by Ronald Malfi. I could list at least a dozen more favorites, but you get the idea.
I got a real sense that Glenn Rolfe is also a fan. THE WINDOW is his unique take on a classic, horror genre.
T
Marie
Demon Twisted Hell Ride!

Backstory:

James is a teenager trying to come to terms with his parents being divorced and having to move away with his mom, but though he is struggling with it, he gets excited when he is able to go stay with his dad (Richie) and his dad's girlfriend for the summer. James has his friends there and he feels that at least he will have some type of normalcy while he stays with his dad.

Things are from normal though as James ends up seeing his dad doing something twisted crazy
Kimberly
THE WINDOW, by Glenn Rolfe, is a novel that had virtually everything you could ask for in a horror story. There was great characterization, some "coming-of-age" themes, demonic possession, evil, torture--both mental and physical--betrayal, tests of loyalty, and an ever present feeling of fear.

Did I mention the demons?

After the initial, jolting introduction, we meet our main characters. James is a young teenager, trying to adjust to his parents' divorce, changing feelings, and a forced move. His
Karla Kay
Feb 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: occult-horror
"He didn’t notice the reflection he’d left in the kitchen window as it watched him drive away."

Richie is not only battling the demons that are reflecting back at him. He is battling his inner demons. A recent divorce, feeling failure as a parent, struggling with a new relationship and not being able to satisfy, drinking too much and the daily grind.

“Young love. It’s a beautiful thing. Cherish it, especially when it comes in the summer. When you get older, life likes to barge its way in.”

Richie'
Bandit
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, Glenn Rolfe is an unusual, almost exceptional, genre author in that not only can he take criticism with grace, but he actually improves. Usually it’s either that the author’s good straight out of the gate or he/she remains sh*t throughout and in a few really tragic instances he/she starts off great and then goes to sh*t. But this guy persevered so nicely (and I haven’t been all that kind in my previous reviews) that he even offered me a copy of his latest for review purposes. I apprec ...more
REMEMBER UKRAINE NOW ReadingReindeer
Review: THE WINDOW by Glenn Rolfe

Never gonna look in a mirror or out a window again! Thanks to Mr. Glenn Rolfe, who brings a most implacably terrifying tale, one with historical antecedents (can't argue with those grimdark Teutonic "fairy tales," now!) and a way-strong contemporary setting in which he works in several important interpersonal issues. On one level, THE WINDOW is a contemporary coming of age, with friendships, new love, dealing with parents' separation and new boyfriend/girlfriend,
Julie Parks
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A rather unpopular book that deserves as much attention as all the other window peepers out there.

Horrifying and creepy, it's refreshingly uncommercial and well thought out.

Thank you NetGalley for the chance to read this in exchange for my honest review.
Emily
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5⭐

"He would cherish every succulent moment from henceforth, no matter the consequence."

The Window is my second book by Glenn Rolfe, and it was a fun summer horror pick! It's part coming-of-age, and part demonic possession story. I am always creeped out by reflection-related horror, so I found myself getting spooked early on when someone's reflection was doing something different than them. That always gets into my head and freaks me out.

I loved the concept of this story, but I had some issue
Miranda miranda_crites
Getting up to pee in the middle of the night will never be the same after reading about demons who live in the reflections of mirrors and windows.

This is a wonderful coming-of-age novel.
James’s dad Richie is battling his own demons, literally, but James and his group of friends have their work cut out for them.

Glenn Rolfe writes amazing characters, but you never know which ones are going to live to tell about it. I was on the edge of my seat during the climax, hoping everyone made it out aliv
Jeremy Hepler
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, intense, emotionally charged, action-packed coming-of-age read. My favorite from Glenn Rolfe so far. Highly recommended.
Steve Stred
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Edited as Review is now live on Kendall Reviews**

It’s very rare to have the opportunity to read a novel from an author, who is known in the horror world, which will firmly cement them in the annals of classic coming of age tales. This is what The Window is for Glenn Rolfe. I have read a few releases from Mr. Rolfe already and to this day, one of his short stories from Land of Bones has never left me (and still makes me cringe when I chat with my friend Simon!).

To put it simply; this is Mr. Rol
Frank Errington
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review copy

After reading four novels and a collection of short stories by Glenn Rolfe, I have to admit, I am a fan. I'm also pleased to note I've seen growth in each new work and believe The Window is Glenn's best book to date.

A wicked tone sets the mood for Rolfe's latest excursion into horror.

"The demons Domineus and his wife Sanikus, so close, yet so far from attaining their ultimate goal, once again, were forced to wait for another opportunity, another family to attach to and ruin."

James' pa
Irene Well Worth A Read
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
James is having a hell of a summer. Literally. The soon to be 14 year old finds that living with his mom and her new boyfriend, quite frankly, sucks. When his father demands that James be allowed to come and spend the last month of summer vacation with him it seems that things are looking up. James has missed his father terribly and also can't wait to spend some time with his friends. His father Richie hasn't been doing so well without James either. He's lost his business, his wife, and is missi ...more
Jason Parent
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glenn Rolfe expands his wildly diverse portfolio with more imaginative horror, this time in the form of true love - demon style. The prolific author never fails to entertain!
Elke
What if you reflection in a window or mirror wasn't just that? What if there was a demonic force waiting to subdue you and take over your body? When James' dad is acting weirdly, he has to take action...

I loved the way the story was told - short chapters that served the fast pace of the story, and well-drawn characters who immediately evoked strong feelings toward them, be they positive or negative. Add to that a couple teenage friends who have to stand up against some evil force in the manner o
David
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018, horror
The Window was a great story of good vs evil. I really enjoyed the group of young teens as they fought against the demons. Full review is posted here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1Kf ...more
John Lynch
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Window is the latest full length offering from Glenn Rolfe, and dare I say, his best. That's not a statement I make lightly. If you follow my reviews at all, then you know that although I've only recently discovered Mr. Rolfe, I've been making it a point to read as much of his work as possible.

The window is equal parts coming of age tale, and demonic possession. Part of the book follows Richie, a man who's down on his luck. He's been forced to eat just about every punch life can throw at you
Vicki Willis
Wow, this book had everything for me. It had demonic possession, coming of age, lots of references to pop culture and a very scary build up! I loved everything about it. I have read others by this author, but for me this was one of his best. He seems to get better and better with every book. It had a lot of action, while also having great details about the characters. It was detailed and descriptive making it terrifying. Highly recommended to horror lovers!
Red Lace Reviews
James is ecstatic to be able to return home and spend summer with his father; the loss of his old life when his parents were still together has left a hole in his heart. Now back amongst friends and discovering what could be love, James's life couldn't get any better. That is, until his father starts behaving strangely in front of the window.

(WARNING: This review contains MAJOR spoilers.)

I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I thank Glenn Rolfe for giving me the opportunity.

Poss
Dustin

There have been a number of comparisons to The Exorcist. Those comparisons are certainly valid. But unlike the classic 1971 novel, Glenn Rolfe adamantly defied the norm. At the same time, he challenged--both himself and the audience-- what it meant to tell a possession story. In other words, how do you define the sub-genre? Clearly coming-of-age, the Maine native went on to explore the human condition. What does it actually mean to be a human being in our post-Y2K culture? Are we as obsessed wi
Catherine Cavendish
Glenn Rolfe writes great horror and his latest novel is a great testament to that. Here we have Richie, down on his luck and suffering with depression, his son James who comes to stay for the summer but soon finds himself embroiled in things no kid of his age should ever have to witness. Not only that, he unwittingly involves his friends too while his father’s behaviour becomes increasingly bizarre and unhinged.

Richie meanwhile, is being seduced. A presence manifesting itself in a window is prov
Chris
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After James Curry's parents divorced and move an hour away, from his friends and the life he's known, he isn't happy about it. He hates his new stepdad and dreads a summer without seeing his buddies and his crush, Carrie. But after his Mom allows him to spend the remaining month before school starts with his Dad and girlfriend, Alison, James is exuberant.

His father is a good man in spite of his shortcomings like drinking too much and his business failings. However his Dad begins to show strange
Jon Recluse
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
After the divorce of his parents, James Curry finds himself torn away from the town he grew up in, his friends, the girl he loves, saddled with a stepfather he can't stand....and worst of all, missing his dad.

When his mom finally caves in, and allows him to spend the last month of summer vacation back home with his father, James is thrilled to see his old friends, his girl, and his dad.

But things haven't been going well for his father. Not for a while. In ways that James finds increasingly distu
Brandy Humphrey
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Given that Possession is my favorite sub genre of horror, I was instantly sold on the synopsis for The Window by Glenn Rolfe. Little did I know, I'd be reading it quicker than any book I've read this year, and quite possibly 2017 as well.

We're introduced to James, a teenager who has been forced to move towns to live with his mother and her boyfriend after she and his father divorce. James is less than enthused about being forced to spend the rest of his summer with the pair, instead of with his
Richard K. Wilson
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the paranormal and posession type stories.
Another good read from Mr. Glenn Rolfe! You'll never look at your reflection on a window or in a mirror the same way ever again!

Check out my video book review from my YouTube Channel; AreYouIntoHorror here:

For a book that only has 236 pages in it, this one packs a wallop of a 'coming of age' story for a soon to be 14 year old boy; James, and a demonic possession story about his father, Richie. (My name!)

This is a story of 13 year old James Curry and his 3 friends Car
Alex | | findingmontauk1
Wow - where to even begin?! This book was SO good! I have always been into possession stories so I am sure that played a huge part in my love of this book. I also am a MASSIVE fan of a coming-of-age story - especially when it can be woven seamlessly into a horror book! Glenn Rolfe manages to create a story that has so many of my favorite horror features: possession, demons, coming-of-age, love, sex, gore, etc.

The coming-of-age aspect of the story was just awesome. A young boy spending one last s
tyoung2058
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr Rolfe never disappoints. This time demons. So rare to find an author that you know every story will just be phenomenal. Some people like King, Barker I guess Mr Rolfe is mine. Just fantastic stuff.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
A unique story told mainly through three characters -- young James, a teenage boy who has been separated from his friends, father, girl interest and town due his mother's remarriage; Alison, a sweet young woman who has sympathy for a depressed man she also happens to be in love with; the father, a depressed man. The ending is brutal in the grief department, and the author doesn't hold back with violence, gruesome stuff when it happens, or bizarre sexual content. At first the story seems almost s ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Castle Terror: Glenn Rolfe - The Window - March 1, 2022 107 27 Mar 31, 2022 03:56PM

• Lullaby (Nightmareland Chronicles #2)
  • Sleepwalking (Nightmareland Chronicles #3)
  • Klondike Slaughter
  • Cunning Folk
  • Dracul
  • Charnel House
  • Finding Heaven
  • Necroscope (Necroscope #1)
  • Bone White
  • Loch Ness
  • Assassin (Darkblade, #1)
  • Her Boldest Lie (Rosemary Run #3)
  • The Restoration
  • A Suburban Haunting
  • Autumn Bleeds Into Winter
  • The Cabin
  • A Mother’s Secret
  • Talia
Glenn Rolfe is an author, singer, songwriter from the haunted woods of New England. He studied Creative Writing at Southern New Hampshire University, and continues his education in the world of horror by devouring the novels of Stephen King, Jack Ketchum, Richard Laymon, and many others. He has three children, Ruby, Ramona, and Axl. He is grateful to be loved despite his weirdness.

He is the author

News & Interviews

For those with a taste for nonfiction—or even just a curiosity about what’s out there—we’ve gathered below the most popular nonfiction titles...