Start by marking “The Thorn Queen” as Want to Read:
The Thorn Queen

The Thorn Queen

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Welcome to Glendoch!

Hidden to most, this glacial world once crackled with alchemy. Now it waits for war—divided and bound by strict rules. So when twelve-year-old Meylyne falls from a tree onto Glendoch’s sickly prince, she must flee or face imprisonment in the Shadow-Cellars. The only way she may return home is with a cure for the prince’s peculiar disease.

Convinced she w
Published September 18th 2018 by SparkPress

To ask other readers questions about The Thorn Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thorn Queen

✨Brithanie Faith✨
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
4/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

ARC provided by NetGalley and SparkPress in exchange for an honest review.

The Thorn Queen by Elise Holland follows a young girl on an epic journey to find the cure for a peculiar disease. On this journey she faces things such as cursed wizards, poisoned guardians, and a wicked plot to sink Glendoch into shadow, as has happend to other worlds before it.

Pros:

❇This was such a fast-paced, easy read, that was magical from beginning to end. I truly believe that this book can, and will b
Amber
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy of this eBook from the author, Netgalley, and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Meylyne is a half-human half garsyle garloch who is clumsy at doing Alchemy magic and is shunned by the other garsyles except for her friends two garsyles who accept her as she is. When she accidentally goes to the Above world and falls on the sick Prince Pram just to return her mother's Opal, her life is placed in danger. Now she must go find a cure to heal the Prince and
Mila
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This is an exciting middle-grade fantasy with a lot of potential. It could've been great with some additional world-building, more character development and maybe a glossary at the end because all this new vocabulary was confusing at times. But I still enjoyed the story a lot, it was full of original ideas, the characters were likable and it was overall quite fast-paced. I actually hope this will be a series because it does end with another unresolved quest and I'd definitely read more about thi ...more
Jocelyn
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: magic-witchy, arcs
a rather disappointing middle grade fantasy. RTC.
Katy
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this!

The Thorn Queen is a middle-grade adventure where we are introduced to Meylyne, a twelve-year-old alchemist in training.

It reminded me a lot of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland mixed with a fairy tale.

I hope this will be an ongoing series, I cannot wait to read the next one!

Thank you NetGalley for letting me borrow this!
Tiffany
The Thorn Queen is a great middle-grade fantasy novel!

There is an extremely plucky and likable heroine, Meylyne, who reluctantly undertakes an epic quest to save her beloved home. Along the way, we are introduced to a wealth of interesting and magical characters that help her along her journey.

The world building is rich and complex, which was a welcome surprise for a middle-grade story. Meylyne is a wonderful character that I think will really appeal to younger girls, as she is both uncertain
Becca
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Never use your wings while you are angry.”

NOTE: I received a complimentary ARC of this book from SparkPress through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

I think after this one I’m not going to request any more middle-grade books, all of the ones I’ve read so far have been underwhelming and The Thorn Queen wasn’t any exception. It’s honestly so hard for me to rate and review this book because this one is thoroughly stuck in “meh” zone for me and I’m still having
Dani Dee
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5/5 Stars

What an enjoyable read. As this targeted for a middle school, younger audience I can say this was without a doubt highly enjoyable. I was engaged and entertained and this book is fun for both the younger target audience and for readers outside that range as well.

The writing is well-done with no errors that hampered my reading experience. The plot was well-paced with humor, magic, and fun galore. I felt such a nostalgia for my younger reading days and I remembered how much I love
Nikki
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this middle grade fantasy novel - it was fast paced and fun! I like that Meylyne was gutsy and Blue was super cute - I definitely wanted to find out more about his background.

I struggled a little with the world building and different names for stuff, as I couldn’t quite keep it all straight, I felt a map or glossary could help - however, the e-arc may just not have them :)

I didn’t love the adults
Stephanie
The Thorn Queen by Elise Holland was a hard book to rate. As the story begins, we're introduced to Meylyne, a young girl of two worlds who has been forced to live in the world below as a result of her parentage while she watches the parade above though she knows she could be in deep trouble were she to be seen. It was a fascinating start to what seemed like a brilliant story. There is a sickly prince, secret scandals, and a snake people who live beneath the below world and remain separate and ar ...more
Gerry
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

The cover is both beautiful and alluring and the description is of a book that is exactly my kind of thing – heroic journeys, magic, witches, a mysteriously vengeful queen… oh yes!

But sadly this book didn’t quite cut the mustard.

So where did it fall short for me?

First let me say this – this is a book for the Middle Grade audience so I’m not expecting a great deal of complexity and character development so if there’s ever a lack of those components then I don’t consider it a big deal at all.

‘The
Asha Hartland-Asbury
The Thorn Queen is a gorgeous MG fantasy that caught my eye while browsing on NetGalley. Just look at that cover! While I was expecting something castle-based and possibly Sleeping Beauty related, what I got was entirely different: an introduction to a really cool magical land, and an action-packed quest with a great heroine!

This book opens with our protagonist Meylyne up a tree, breaking rules - this is a good sign straight away that she's going to be my type of heroine! She is soon forced to g
Jordan
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This was really fun! A bit overly complex at times, but still incredibly imaginative and a great read.

Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

The Thorn Queen is a delightful middle grade fantasy adventure novel filled with imaginative characters, magic, and world-building.

Our protagonist is Meylyne, a young girl who is suddenly thrust into a much larger role in her world than she ever anticipated--or wanted. Meylyne is a bold, endearing girl who is not so great at performing her Alchemy m
Mark Buxton
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My name is Meylyne, and I've been forced to break the first commandment, again, and reenter the Above-World. My only hope of avoiding life in the Shadow Cellars is to find a cure for the prince's aging disease. The Old Well of M'Yhr has said I must travel to the Valley of Half-Light where the soul-eating sphers live. Hope has been a loyal companion, and we've been joined by Blue, a tiny warrior. I never would have imagined an ogre named Grimorex would become such a valuable ally. However, someth ...more
Paige Jeanty
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meylyne is not your typical twelve year old girl. She is half human, half garsyle and really, really bad at alchemy. When Meylyne finds herself on an seemingly impossible quest to save the prince of Glendoch, she must learn to have faith in herself and her crew of unlikely heroes tagging alone beside her. Unfortunately, the further she progresses into her mission, the more she discovers that Glendoch is counting on her to save them from The Thorn Queen. Will Meylyne and her companions be able to ...more
Story Eater
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elise Holland has delivered quite the exhilarating adventure tale in her new middle-grade novel, The Thorn Queen. Readers will enjoy intricate world and character building, and the story draws inspiration from C.S. Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia, 19th century fairy tales, and medieval tales of magic and sorcery.

The Thorn Queen is an epic middle grade fantasy adventure tale about young Meylyne, a female protagonist whose mother and father are from different parts of Glendoch - the Between-World and
Helenasghost
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Usually I pick books for various logical reasons such as author, existing hype, the general description taking my eye. Here? I threw all that out the window... Look at that cover *squeal*

So, the short of it? I really enjoyed it for what it was, a middle grade novel about fallen kingdoms and an epic quest to save the world... Miss 9 loved it (she insisted on reading it once I was done.

Starting out I felt it was a little slow BUT once Meylyne started on her quest, I found the pace was quite enjoya
Micha Sevier
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Thorn Queen: A Novel is an exciting children’s adventure where twelve-year-old Meylyne is forced into a quest to find a cure for the prince’s mysterious disease. During her quest, Meylyne befriends interesting creatures and uncovers dangerous secrets regarding the terrible war her home of Glendoch is facing. One of these secrets is the identity of the terrible Thorn Queen.

I’m a lot older than middle grade but I really enjoyed this book. I found some of the characters’ and creatures’ names a
Topaz & Tourmaline
I got to about page 200 and had been enjoying the book and the characters, when the happenings in the book featured a surprising twist and I found myself rushing to read so I could find out what happened!

The main character, Meylyne — I really felt for her, especially after we learn certain truths. What a story. It’s engaging for adults but it’s also suitable for older pre-teens and older.

I love a good fantasy world and “The Thorn Queen” didn’t disappoint. Also, a shout-out to the cover illustrat
Chris
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I received my copy of The Thorn Queen from the publisher through NetGalley.

This book is charming and adorable times ten. There's adventure, plenty of twists and turns, betrayal, and triumph. I really liked the book..

..except for the last chapter, which makes strong case for the worst denouement ever realized. But really, don't let that stop you from enjoying this book. It's a really fun read.
Robyn
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful imagination creates a multi-level world with rich, inspiring characters. The young female protagonist is one to admire as she embarks on her journey to redeem herself and save others. I look forward to reading more in what I hope is a start to a new series. Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the advance copy. I know my 8th graders will love reading the book. #TheThornQueen
Stephanie
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Magic, monsters, adventure! This book has it all. This adorable little story is a quick read and great for young readers. I know my nieces will love this book.
I noticed that around the mark the book gets bogged down by too many tropes. The plot is a bit convoluted for a children’s story. It started to lose my interest a bit.
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sally Maxwell
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Sparkspress for the arc of this book.
I saw that the age guideline was 9/14 and I am on the wrong side of 40, but I really enjoyed this book, it would make a great series!
Tim Cook
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable and quite involved children's fantasy novel. At times there is so much going on that it can be a tad difficult to remember which group of creatures was whom, but the story was rewarding and the world building was excellent.
Mel Hawk
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Thorn Queen tells the story of a young girl's journey to find the cure for a disease killing the prince of her kingdom Glendoch. Meylyne must find the cure for this peculiar disease or she may end up in the Shadow-Cellars. On her journey, Meylyne faces many obstacles on her journey, wizards, guardians and a plot to destroy her kingdom, Glendoch.
The Thorn Queen was a fast-paced and easy read that will be suitable for all ages. It was a magical story from start to finish and I had fun reading
Amanda
Sep 21, 2018
Karim Merchant
Oct 16, 2018
Elaine
Aug 13, 2018
Sally Maxwell
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Sparkspress for the arc of this book.
Rachel