Start by marking “How Long 'til Black Future Month?” as Want to Read:
How Long 'til Black Future Month?

How Long 'til Black Future Month?

(Dreamblood 0.5 - The Narcomancer )

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  6,307 ratings  ·  1,297 reviews
In these stories, Jemisin sharply examines modern society, infusing magic into the mundane, and drawing deft parallels in the fantasy realms of her imagination. Dragons and hateful spirits haunt the flooded city of New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. In a parallel universe, a utopian society watches our world, trying to learn from our mistakes. A black ...more
Published November 27th 2018 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about How Long 'til Black Future Month?, please sign up.
Esk No, it's actualy some kind of prequel. But when Jemisin writed the Dreamblood after this, she changed a little bit some things about the Gatherers.

·  6,307 ratings  ·  1,297 reviews

Start your review of How Long 'til Black Future Month?
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Updated to add additional reviews for stories that are in this collection. "The Storyteller's Replacement" and "Cuisine des Mémoires" are nominated for a 2019 Locus award.

Goodreads has pulled together a couple of my Jemisin short story reviews and dumped them here, since they appear in her new short fiction collection, How Long 'til Black Future Month?. As it turns out, I've already read and reviewed some of her other stories in this collection, and am reading some additional stories I haven't
Holly
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it

I absolutely *LOVED* this author's Broken Earth trilogy (starts with The Fifth Season) so I was really excited to pick up this collection of short stories. However, and it pains me to say this, I am not sure why this collection was published because the majority of the stories didn't particularly 'wow' me. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy some of them, there were a handful I actually REALLY wish were expanded into a full length novel because I enjoyed them so much. But most of them
Hiu Gregg
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was, I’m ashamed to admit, the first N.K. Jemisin book I’ve ever read. I don’t say this because I subscribe to the belief that there are books which are “required reading” in the fantasy genre (because I absolutely don’t), but rather because on reading the stories in How Long ’til Black Future Month, I was struck by just how damned gifted Jemisin is as a writer. And yet I’m only finding that out now.

But then, “gifted” isn’t really the best word to use here. These stories are very much a
Leah Rachel von Essen
How Long ‘Til Black Future Month? is simply superb. There wasn’t a story in the twenty-two that didn’t impress. Jemisin is a science fiction and fantasy powerhouse, and that is clear by the sheer variety of tales told—there are a dozen novel-worthy worlds crafted in this volume.

Jemisin opens with “The Ones Who Stay and Fight,” a direct story response to Ursula K. Le Guin’s “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas.” It ends with a parallel—a story about a man defending his city, post-Katrina New
Marchpane
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Based on the title, I was expecting How Long ‘til Black Future Month? to be a little more sci-fi leaning and/or a lot more overtly political. But as Jemisin points out in her introduction, just being a black woman writing sci-fi and fantasy that features black characters is a political act. Occasionally she does reference real-world events, such as the terrific “Sinners, Saints, Dragons, and Haints, in the City Beneath the Still Waters”, about a young man and his elderly neighbour trying to ...more
carol.

***Hey, Great job, Goodreads! This review was for a single short story, The Evaluators, but maybe also for another short story, "The Narcomancer." Idk, because my links are broken and the you re-shelved my review under a collection of short stories. So I should probably delete this review because I have no idea what it's reviewing. Jerks.---carol. 5/19

While I had links to the stories, it appears Jemisin had to pull it them from the website and there were,
Anthony
Impressively varied in tone, voice, subject, and style, this short story collection was wonderfully entertaining and provocative. N.K. Jemisin writes with enormous confidence, takes big risks, and doesn’t settle for the easy way out. Well worth reading.
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I finished and it only took 5 days. Go me!

I wasn’t sure what to expect going into this. From Jemisin I’ve only ever read The Fifth Season, and my relationship with that was only lukewarm. I did know that she had some fantastic ideas for worlds and narrative choices though, so I was hopeful.

I’m happy to say that every single story in this book reaffirms what I’ve stated above. Jemisin is truly a creative genius and her writing is top notch. (And best of all, I didn’t come across any that were
Mir
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty awesome, original short story about alien contact. It was told in the form of fragmentary documents: reports, IMs, recorded conversations, etc. There were also visual and formatting elements, but unfortunately I was unable to read this on the WIRED site because of pop-ups, so I pasted it into a text document and was not able to see the images. Still really enjoyed it, though, and would read more set in this world.
Emma
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow
Hannah
Jul 17, 2018 marked it as on-hold
I don’t think I could be more excited for this.
Sahitya
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jemisin is a phenomenal writer and every story of hers reflects her talent. She has a knack for telling stories and creating worlds with a lot of depth and meaning and lot of parallels to our real world. This collection of short stories has its own share of some great ones and some not so good ones, but my main problem was that there were a few I just didn’t understand. I’ve felt this before about the author’s works - she writes on a whole other level which is very complicated and not easy for ...more
Jokoloyo
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The art and the web design is reinforcing the atmosphere of the story. One of my better read for SF short story on 2017. A fascinating contact-with-another-species story with web style storytelling. I admit I add 1 star due to the design.

Maybe only I did the mistake, but when first time I read it, I was confused with the timeline. Please make sure you notice the time record of each section/chapter.

For the title art, if the page art seems too large, I use this link to watch it: (view spoiler)
Mara
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book makes me so excited to try more from NK Jemisin. There are definitely highs and lows, as is true for most short story collections, but overall, this showcases the range of her imagination and, even more intriguingly to me, her consistent thematic content
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
A majestic collection of fantasy and sciencefiction short stories from N.K. Jemisin, one of my favourite authors. There's incredible variety in here, from a world where "quantum proliferation" has propelled everyone into separate looping realities to a magical recipe that keeps you forever young to a restaurant that can serve any meal from any day in history to an uncanny exactness. Some stories are stronger than others, but overall an excellent book.
Caro the Helmet Lady
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stories like this one are the reason I love sci-fi.
Rana
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Is there even any doubt that this would be fucking fantastic?
Liz Barnsley
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve recently been making my way through this authors ” Broken Earth ” trilogy – one book to go- and the way she writes is so creative, beautifully done, so as a fan of short stories generally I was looking forward to this.
There is an art to the short story form, not every author no matter how talented can pull them off, but N K Jemisin certainly can. In this collection we have varying lengths but each one is a small gem unto itself, exploring many themes, a lot of them melancholy and thought
Makeda / ColourLit
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review pending...just know I loved this collection. to buy The Inheritance Trilogy and Dreamblood Duology! ...more
André Oliveira
May 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
yup, I just found out that I don't like short stories, which is a bummer :(

So don't take this review seriously. If you like short stories, definitely try this book, it has some interesting ideas

I am still really excited to read The Broken Earth trilogy!!!
Hannah
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HOW DOES SHE DO IT?! How in the world is her mind so freaking brilliant? I demand an answer...

This is definitely my absolute favorite short story collection I've read so far. I was head over heels for 19 of the stories and only didn't enjoy 3 of them. I can still say with certainty that they were all strong, stunning, and breathtaking (yes, even the unfortunate 3. Just because I didn't like them as much didn't mean they weren't amazing in their own way). The stories are extremely accessible and
Lauren Stoolfire
Wow! This is a fantastic collection of diverse short stiries. I need to read anything and everything from N.K. Jemisin stat!
The Captain
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys! I have read five of the author’s novels but had never read any of her short stories. N.K. Jemisin has been making waves by doing cool things like winning the Hugo award three years in a row for every book in her Broken Earth trilogy (which I haven’t read yet!). So when I saw she was publishing this short story collection I got excited. And after listening to the audiobook, I can say that I adored it.

This collection has 22 varied tales. Now here’s the thing, for the majority
Jen
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-freebie
La Coccinelle
I haven't read any of this author's longer works yet. I figured trying some of her short stories might be a good introduction to her writing (and a quick way to figure out if I'm going to click with it).

Goodreads has decided that my thoughts are too big to be contained (either that, or it's just the fact that there are 22 stories in this book, and I had something to say about all of them). In any case, my review wouldn't fit. Head over to my blog to read the full review.
Rose
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Having spent the last three weeks traipsing across Europe, having a book of short stories by such a fantastic author made the long train and bus journeys bearable.
Some stories were a bit of a miss for me, but the overwhelming majority were fantastic and engaging. My favourites were certainly the ones that had magic and mystique woven in to the world - The City Born Great, Red Dirt Witch, L'Alchimista, and Cuisine des Memoires all stood out beautifully amongst a sea of truly incredible stories.
Arielle Walker
I’ve been waiting to write a review of this, hoping words would come at some point, but - no. No words.

Just... this is further proof of the pure and utter genius of N.K Jemisin
Dawn C
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Admittedly I’ve only read The Fifth Season but I think I like Jemisin’s short stories better than her novels. She really has a concise way with words that suits this shorter writing exercise so well.

Stories that stood out to me: “Stone Hunger” (marking the early embers of her Broken Earth trilogy), “On the Banks of the River Lex”, “Henosis” and “The Narcomancer” were all extremely good, and “The Narcomancer” also made me really curious to read her Dreamblood books!
☾ h a d e e r ☽
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
There are many things I admire about N.K. Jemisin as a writer, and all of those things come through in this collection of short stories. I want to highlight two of those things:

1. Her innovation and creativity. Put simply, Jemisin just has really cool ideas. Even if she's utilizing a common trope or concept, she still manages to execute it in an original way. I may not always love the direction she takes stories in, but I have to admire just how creative she is, and how her mind works outside of
Nadine
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m not a fan of short stories since I usually find them to be lacking, but I couldn’t help myself when I learned that N.K. Jemisin published a collection. How Long ‘Til Black Future Month? Is a beautiful collection of stories that cover a range of topics all set within science fiction and fantasy settings.

There are 22 stories packed within this 400-page collection. Each of the stories stand on their own and offer something different to readers. The stories featured themes of rebirth,
Dawnrise: "The Narcomancer" 1 10 Jul 05, 2015 12:03PM

• GlitterShip Year Two (GlitterShip Yearly Anthologies Book #2)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, August 2013
  • Filter House
  • A People's Future of the United States: Speculative Fiction from 25 Extraordinary Writers
  • The Raven Tower
  • Upgraded
  • Lightspeed Magazine, September 2018 (Issue 100)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Black God's Drums
  • The City in the Middle of the Night
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 24: Disabled People Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Black Leopard, Red Wolf (The Dark Star Trilogy, #1)
  • Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
  • Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1)
  • The Deep
  • Exhalation: Stories
N. K. Jemisin lives and works in New York City.

Dreamblood (2 books)
  • The Killing Moon (Dreamblood, #1)
  • The Shadowed Sun (Dreamblood, #2)
“Who is to say plutonium is more powerful than, say, rice? One takes away a million lives, the other saves a hundred times as many.” 10 likes
“It is so easy to have principles. Far, far harder to live by them.” 5 likes