Start by marking “Tarot for Your Self: A Workbook for Personal Transformation” as Want to Read:
Tarot for Your Self: A Workbook for Personal Transformation

Tarot for Your Self: A Workbook for Personal Transformation

Originally published in 1984, this classic is the first book to explore and promote the concept of reading the cards for personal insight-for yourself-with detailed instructions how to do so. The exercises can be enjoyed by an individual or shared with others, making it a popular text for classes and study groups. It uses meditations, rituals, spreads, mandalas, ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 304 pages
Published March 1st 2002 by New Page Books (first published October 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Tarot for Your Self, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarot for Your Self

Start your review of Tarot for Your Self: A Workbook for Personal Transformation
Heather
Oct 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Not to ruin my business as a card reader and Tarot teacher, but.... This is it. All you need. If you are wondering what book to buy to truly understand Tarot, this is where to go. No more memorizing - instead delving into your imagination and personal intuition with a great guide.

I have heard of people buying their first deck and then flipping through this perfect book and whining "I don't like workbooks." My opinion? "If you won't do the work to understand the cards, then just memorize the
Abraxas Abrasaxtes
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In my 13 years of voraciously studying all things witchery, there are a handful of books that I find myself constantly coming back to. This is one of them. I don't think I'll EVER get rid of this book as it is just TOO useful. When it comes to learning the art of Cartomancy then this book is carte blanche THE authority on the subject in my opinion.
Kathy McAnany
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for self exploration. I really enjoyed reading this book and doing the exercises. Greer provides very detailed information on how you can use the tarot for self exploration. The exercises are fun and offer very deep insights into the workings of your subconscious mind. Some of the exercises are very involved and may take a while to complete. But it's very interesting and fun at the same time. This is one of the most in-depth books on self exploration I have ever come across. The ...more
Twinkle T.
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: references
I love, love, love this book! The best thing about it is that it is interactive. The activities seem more fun to me and make me more interested in learning the cards. This was the fourth book I bought for my tarot journey and out of all my book this is definitely in the top 3. If you are needing some structure for you Tarot learnings, then this is the book for you. You can also fill out the information inside the book or write it in a notebook. The information is deeply insightful and I could ...more
Amit
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hi,

I got this book after reading a lot of positive reviews, though this book does have positive points, it failed to make any sense to me due to the exercises and badly organized chapters. Every tarot book is helpful and have it's own pros and cons, but in comparison to other few tarot books I feel this book didn't live up to it's rating. Maybe this is my point. I feel Tarot and Simple & Tarot for Beginners much easy and reader friendly.
Anita
May 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wishes to deepen their understanding of tarot.
Sell? Swap? No Way! They'll have to pry this one out of my cold, dead hands. I have nearly worn out my copy. I use it every day. I have been keeping my tarot journal since 1979, and this book has been my constant companion since I discovered it in 2005. I use it in my journaling, I use it in my practice, and I use it in my classes. This is a GREAT book. I recommend it to one and all!
Andrea Paterson
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A really interesting book. Greer essentially uses the Tarot as a form of depth psychology. No messages from magical realms here, just messages culled from within using a system of symbols and archetypes. It's a unique approach to exploring your own life and self.
A
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I checked this book out from the library to see whether it was worth purchasing, and I have to say that it was pretty insightful, something worth keeping on the shelf and consulting on a regular basis. Especially appreciated the integration of Jungian psychology in several chapters. Not so keen on the chapter about crystals, but that's something I can skip.
Donna Hutt Stapfer Bell
Pick your form, then study

Any path that leads to self-awareness, enlightenment is to be taken seriously. Tarot, like most of its ilk, leans heavily on introspection for most of its magic and purpose.
Jan
A great introduction to the tarot and how you and it inform each other. Well done Miss Greer!
Lissalye
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the better and more original tarot work books. It is a good starting place for the beginner also. I would recommend it to others.
Ashley
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Indispensable tool for self discovery and flawless education on the intuitive/metaphysical arts and sciences.
Mat Auryn
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Today there’s an endless sea of tarot books. This is both amazing and overwhelming for those just starting out to learn about tarot, specifically the Rider-Waite-Smith deck and its countless derivatives. However, there are few books that are titans in this category with such a huge historical impact. Tarot For Your Self: A Workbook for the Inward Journey by Mary K. Greer is hands-down one of them. When I first began using tarot early in High School, I relied on “The Little White Book” that came ...more
Ashlie McDiarmid
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a great book if you you are new to tarot. As a workbook, this is going to be more of a companion in your tarot studies than a guide of learning the cards. Greer does give card interpretations at the end of the book, but it is not as extensive as others out there. This book is meant to be a place to document your psychological understandings of yourself as you use the tarot. There were some prompts and styles that I didn't follow: like reading court cards as other people or certain ...more
Joan
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sampled as library book intending to take notes/do exercises but there’s just too much. Purchasing my own copy and digging in. Most tarot books are formatted around some theme and the use that theme through with authors story and examples going g through each card. This book is a blank slate for an individual to develop their own relationship with the cards without others’ ideas influencing.
Kellyn Brooks
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great resource for learning more about the tarot. I didn't use it as a workbook; I just wanted straight facts to add to my tarot notebook. I like that it discussed tarot in conjunction with many other topics (e.g. Jung, crystals, astrology). I will definitely check out Greer's other works.
Kristina
Good one for introducing tarot as a self help tool rather than a divinatory tool.
Natalie Dunn
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A fairly good book, very much a workbook.
Blair
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun workbook but some exercises are better than others.
Readgoat
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
remarkable
Alex
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book taught me a lot about myself. I've been in this path of self discovery for quite a long time and this book, with some others, has been truly illuminating.
It explains and teaches new ways of seeing the cards, connecting them primarily with numerology, teaching you new ways of addressing classical spreads, and completely powering up your interpreting and understanding of the cards, while at the same time, guiding you to know yourself better and deeper.
Cedarlakeinn
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it
I think this is a good book for looking into different ways of relating to your tarot decks. However, there are too many exercises in this book (at least for me). I'm still only half-way through it and I'm not sure if I even want to finish it.
Juli
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very insightful look at the tarot. Probably one of the best books I've read on the subject so far. Some creative layouts I've not yet encountered and helpful new (or new to me) ways of looking at the subject of personal readings. Recommended!
Marjorie Jensen
This book is filled with excellent exercises and information. I highly recommend it for new Tarot readers as well as experienced Tarot readers who want to connect with a new deck or learn more about reading for themselves.
Indica Argento
Mar 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This and 78 Degrees of Wisdom should be chucked on a bonfire. The two are remarkably similar in how awful the writing is, and the general outdated self help vibe. Another book I wish I had never wasted money on.
Amy
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lots of great charts and information!
Rebecca Wright
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
The best book to learn to use Tarot as a tool for self help. I need a new copy of this book, I have used it so much it is falling apart.
Edric Unsane
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Truly informative and all-around fantastic book on the Tarot.
Erika
Apr 03, 2008 added it
my first tarot book given by my mentor. a great starter.
Amy Bucelewicz
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the exercises that really help you get deeper with the cards.

• Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom: A Book of Tarot
  • Kitchen Table Tarot: Pull Up a Chair, Shuffle the Cards, and Let's Talk Tarot
  • Modern Tarot: Connecting with Your Higher Self through the Wisdom of the Cards
  • Holistic Tarot: An Integrative Approach to Using Tarot for Personal Growth
  • The Ultimate Guide to Tarot: A Beginner's Guide to the Cards, Spreads, and Revealing the Mystery of the Tarot
  • Tarot Plain and Simple
  • Tarot 101: Mastering the Art of Reading the Cards
  • The Creative Tarot: A Modern Guide to an Inspired Life
  • Power Tarot: More Than 100 Spreads That Give Specific Answers to Your Most Important Question
  • Tarot - The Open Reading
  • The Wildwood Tarot: Wherein Wisdom Resides
  • The Green Witch: Your Complete Guide to the Natural Magic of Herbs, Flowers, Essential Oils, and More
  • Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners
  • Rachel Pollack's Tarot Wisdom: Spiritual Teachings and Deeper Meanings
  • Flash Count Diary: Menopause and the Vindication of Natural Life
  • Mindful Tarot: Bring a Peace-Filled, Compassionate Practice to the 78 Cards
  • The Crystal Bible: A Definitive Guide to Crystals
  • The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination
“Taboo comes from a Polynesian word that means “sacred or holy” rather than simply “prohibited.” 0 likes
“Now we can see the real use of the Tarot pack. It is for living in and arranging our lives with. The cards are the exchange-symbols between inner and outer life…. Altogether the Tarots are a most valuable collection of psycho-physical currency convertible into either dimension. —Wm. B. Gray, Magical Ritual Methods” 0 likes