Start by marking “Mirror Cracked” as Want to Read:
Mirror Cracked

Mirror Cracked

What if the perfect life is threatened by absolute betrayal? If control is cruelly wrenched away? How does one survive? This a story of love, betrayal, hope and surrender.
Azraa Hassim is a strong, modern, Muslim woman, successful in her professional and personal life. She is confident and driven to provide the best life for her husband, herself, and their two daughters. Th
Paperback, First edition, 320 pages
Published July 17th 2018 by Kwarts Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Mirror Cracked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirror Cracked

Start your review of Mirror Cracked
Lorraine
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Andrew
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Azraa and Fareed Hassim. A married couple who balance their successful careers with their Muslim beliefs. Their two daughters are a combination of Azraa’s modern view of Muslim Womanhood, and Fareed’s more traditional outlook of family duty and loyalty. Nothing can prepare either husband or wife for the maelstrom that is about to rip their relationship, their family, their very essence, apart.

At its core, ‘Mirror Cracked’ is a novel about relationships and discovery, a book that examines what is
Wikus Fourie
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mirror Cracked by Raashida Khan
A book review by Wikus Fourie

Mirror Cracked is an intriguing story right from its title, as the unexpected word order (as opposed to ‘Cracked Mirror’) brings to life more than just a description of the life of the main character, Azraa Hassim; and her response to events beyond her control. It is successful in suggesting a significant turning point, or rather series of turning points as one journeys through the beautifully-written prose. The chapters are told from t
Raeesa Mahomed
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was hooked by 'Mirror Cracked' as soon as I started reading. Raashida Khan's prose is very well written, easy to read and succeeds in drawing one into the story effortlessly. It deals with taboo topics, things that are not generally accepted in the community she writes about, so hats off to her for the courage to tackle that. But more than that, she manages to draw the reader into the emotional world of the characters so well, that one can feel their pain and desperation. The story is a tragic ...more
Sylvia Garib
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
SHORT SUMMARY OF “MIRROR CRACKED”
BY RAASHIDA KHAN

This is a well written narrative with a difference and is recommended for adult reading.
A highly emotive, controversial story that will open conversations, once read. I admire that the author had the courage to tackle a topic that is largely swept under the carpet by many communities. I agree that it needs to be talked about, no matter how hurtful, hateful or ugly it may seem.
The narrative covers many themes; infidelity, betrayal, anger, anxiety,
Rafeeyah Hassim
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a reader, an aspiring writer, communication specialist and life coach. I believe this book speaks volumes.

The story unfolds and has you hooked! As a Muslim female, I can relate to the ideals these books unpack; aspects that are often not discussed in society. When hit with tragedy after tragedy this book reminds you about the daily challenges we each experience. The key fundamentals are strong and in words Raashida explains feelings that can only be felt.
From betrayal to tragedy I could fin
Fatima Bheekoo-shah
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been meaning to recommend this book for a while and I will write a proper review soon. I want to highly recommend Mirror Cracked by Raashida Khan. This was our book club pick of the month to celebrate heritage month. Because it was a local author I decided to invite her along and honestly it was the most stimulating and interesting conversation that we have had to date. Mirror cracked was not an easy read for our book club, it touches on a taboo topic and while many admitted to feeling un ...more
Sarita
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Mirror Cracked
Long and sharp was the crack ,
Relationships asunder
One can only wonder
How much the human spirit can take.
If the earth shakes below
Your feet ,
And you lose those you love ,
Will you lose faith in
God above .
Will you still have faith
In yourself
And all you stand for.
When your life seems shattered ,
Broken and battered.
and change ,
You
Muhammad Dawood
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Raashida writes with a bold authenticity challenging stereotypes and prejudices in a generally conservative culture. Her vivid description, character portrayal and raw emotion, immersed me completely into the home and lives of the Suleman's, a 'modern', South African Indian, Muslim family, with very real issues.
I was blown away by the level of detail contained in the novel, yet it also so smoothly manages to develop at a beautiful, suspenseful, 'can't put down' pace.
I laughed, I cried, I admire
Maymoona Chohan
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book gripped me for the first page and tweaked my curiosity. I couldn't wait to see how the story turns out. Raashida has touched on a taboo topic in the Indian and more so the Muslim community. I felt the descriptions somewhat graphic, but then I am on the "old fashioned / school" side. So in summing up, a great read, one that has you racing to get to the end to see how it pans out. Gripping and thought provoking. Brilliantly written considering the sensitivity of the topic. ...more
Sadia Musa
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Raashi Khan has perfectly captured emotions such as hurt, pain, anger, suffering and betrayal in a simple reader friendly manner that in turn connected with my heart and mind. I was completely engrossed into her book in the first few pages. I was drawn to each of her characters and could identify with all of them as well as the pain and turmoil they felt.

A really good read!
Nadia Musa
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished reading Mirror Cracked and I cannot wait for the sequel Fragrance of Forgiveness.  Mirror Cracked was utterly compelling... I could not put it down.  I was drawn into the lives of the three main characters almost immediately.  The book spoke to me with regards to what we whether Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Black, White or Purple face today and everyday.
Fatima Zahra
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riveting and captivating

I enjoyed the style and pace of the book. A quick and interesting story. Can't wait to read the next one.
Khalida
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
When I saw another book by a South African Muslim author I assumed it would follow the same format of troubled lives glossed over and the re-discovery of faith which often leads to a happy ending.
That never happened with Mirror Cracked! It shocked me out of my assumptions. So much so that I had to immediately message Khan and apologise for my pre-conceived notions (which I had not voiced but felt guilty of even thinking).
This debut novel treads where few have ventured. It addresses themes of gr
Ludtfia Patel
Jan 22, 2021 marked it as to-read
This book is enthralling, once you start you don't want to put it down until you know the book is complete. Then the waiting starts to read the sequel!!!
Raashida Khan is a phenomenal author whos writing grips you and you actually feel like you are apart of everything you read.
The story makes you laugh and cry. One can easily get emotional ❤
Marriam Essa-Sayed
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant Read, Raashida Khan's writing keeps you gripped. A real Page Turne.
Read more on my mini book review of this book here...
Zaheda
Mar 04, 2021
Zubeda
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hey Raashi

Completed your novel mirror cracked ....
Awesome reading ...your simple easy to follow style of writing ....every incident flows through in sync.

My highest respect to you. The topic obviously requires an open non judgmental mindset .

Although I do not condone gay society and behaviour but it's a sad reality of life .
My colleague from previous company married a guy whom months later found out he was gay .. it's truly was hurtful and discouraging to move on. She is still single and focu
Raashida Khan
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Semole

• Season of Crimson Blossoms
  • The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • The Outcast: A Modern Retelling of The Scarlet Letter
  • Surviving My Husband’s Affair: She was dealt the divorce card…
  • Living a Lie: A Novel Based on a True Story
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • The Rakehell of Roth (Everleigh Sisters, #2)
  • The Fourteenth Wife: A search for belonging
  • Trial by Fury (A Righteous Novella)
  • The Idea of You
  • Twenty Years a Stranger (The Stranger Series Book 1)
  • Woman at Point Zero
  • A Love So Dark (Dark Regency Book 4)
  • The Girl with the Louding Voice
  • Born Freeloaders: A Novel
  • Coconut Kelz’s Guide to Surviving This Shithole
Raashida Khan is a content creator, author, poet, wife, mother and friend – a unicorn that does exist. As a caring, compassionate and empathetic person who loves observing people and life, she is a storyteller of note. She would like to be remembered as ‘never boring.’

She is 48 and was born in Durban (her favourite city), where she lived for twenty-seven years before moving to Johannesburg. She s

News & Interviews