Start by marking “The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)” as Want to Read:
The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)

The Paper & Hearts Society

(The Paper & Hearts Society #1)

A brand new series from Booktuber Lucy Powrie - about what happens when you give up on trying to fit in and let your weird out! It's time to join The Paper & Hearts Society ...

Tabby Brown is tired of trying to fit in. She doesn't want to go to parties - in fact, she would much rather snuggle up on the sofa with her favourite book.

It's like she hasn't found her people ...

T
Published June 11th 2019 by Hodder Children's Books

Start your review of The Paper & Hearts Society (The Paper & Hearts Society #1)
Lucy Powrie
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
This is my book! I wrote a book! It's REAL!

The Paper & Hearts Society is the first book in a new series for teenagers (11+) about finding your people, not being afraid to be your true self, and speaking loud and proud about what you're passionate about. It's about being bookish, understanding your mental health, and the effects social media can have on us, and it's the book of my heart.

The main character is Tabby, who is fifteen years old and has just moved to a new town in the south of England
Ruby Granger
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you follow my reviews, you will know that I am not flippant when it comes to distributing 5-star reviews, but I absolutely LOVED Lucy's first book! The Paper & Hearts Society is just the perfect book for bookworms, and should be read by anyone and everyone who is not (or is) ashamed to be a bit of a book nerd.
The characters were complex and well-developed, especially Cassie, and I fell in love with Olivia's charisma and energy & Ed's sense of humour. Tabby's prior experiences with bullying a
Alice Oseman
This is such a sweet and joyful story about friendship and celebrating your passions (especially if your passion is books!) It explores anxiety and bullying and has a couple of very cute romances too. I can't wait to see more of these characters in the sequel! (especially Ed. He's my fave.)
Lauren James
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
[Gifted]
A heartwarming, uplifting look at the power of friendship and the dangers of bullying online. Tabby stole my heart with her very realistic anxieties, worries and joy of books. A UK based summer road trip book that will make you desperate to make a book club of your very own.
Yasmin
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an early read of this and let me tell you, it is PHENOMENAL.

Lucy has created just the most adorable group of book nerds that you just cannot help but fall in love with instantly. Tabby as a protagonist instantly gains our trust and empathy and we're rooting for her happiness from the get go. The friendship between the characters grows so naturally you don't even notice, but you simultaneously feel as you yourself are a member of the Paper and Hearts Society. The bookish
Clara
4.5 ⭐️

I feel like this book was written for my 15 years self, who was bullied at school, who didn’t yet know she was demisexual, who suffered from anxiety and depression alone, who only wished to have friends who would love to read as much as she did. Lucy wrote an amazing story which would have gave my 15 years old self hope for the future, and I can’t thank her enough for it.

I believe this book could bring hope to any teen out there.
Beth, BooksNest
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is not often that a book makes me cry, and I didn’t expect it of this one, but cry I did. This book was so real and kept true to teenage life, the ups and the downs. It captured me and brought me back to the times where I learnt to become who I am today. It is very tough to be in your teen years, there is a lot going on, The Paper & Hearts Society doesn’t shy away from this. Lucy doesn’t try to glamorise the moments of our youth, she writes them as they are and creates believable and lovable, ...more
Lea ♞ That_Bookdragon
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
3/5 ⭐

Overall, I would say this book was enjoyable although it felt as if it was Middle Grade at times, not YA. What I enjoyed the most was the nerdiness of the characters and I could definitely relate to them most of the time. As a group, they were all really cute but to be very honest, they didn't feel like they were between 15-17... They felt more like 12-13 to me, but that's probably only me. Moreover, even though she is going through horrible things that nobody should have to get through, sh
Stacey (prettybooks)
I was in a really bad reading slump at the beginning of the year. You know, the kind where you watch Netflix, scroll through Twitter, or do nothing at all, instead of picking up a book. Lucy kindly offered to send me her book, The Paper & Hearts Society, to help – and it worked!

Continue reading this review over on Pretty Books.

#gifted: Thank you to the publisher for sending me this book for free in exchange for an honest review!
Fafa's Book Corner
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger Warning(s): Bullying, harassment, cyber stalking, grief, and panic attacks.

Reading Challenge(s): Book 12 for #StartOnYourShelfathon.

Rep: Tabby has anxiety. Olivia is demisexual. I think that Cassie and Olivia may be POC, but I’m not sure. If anyone knows whether or not the girls are POC, please let me know in the comments.

My Thoughts Before Reading: I was really excited about reading this book! I am happy to say that I thorough
zaheerah
*I received a copy via the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.*

A young teen moved to a new town and discovered a book club that pushes her out of her comfort zone.

Honestly, this was a little disappointing, considering how positive the reviews were for this book. I really wanted to love this book, but this book was just not for me. This is a story I would say good in concept, but the execution was so bland.

I have no issues with
Martha
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has just blown me away in a matter of hours!
I went into it expecting a cute fluffy book themed contemporary, and yes it delivered that but with SO MUCH MORE.
Tabby as a character is just so well written and honest. I truly felt you could understand all of her reasoning and motives, even when they were to flawed. Also the representation of Tabby's mental health was so so so well done. She experiences anxiety (often relating to her past (ie the WORST person in the world)) and panic attack
Cora Tea Party Princess
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Family, friendship, books, self-discovery, bullying.

This. Book.

I first read The Paper & Hearts Society by Lucy Powrie back in April when BKMRK kindly sent me a review copy. Then pretty much as soon as it was first spotted in the wild in June I read it again, this time armed with a pencil for underlining and annotations.

As much as I loved Tabby, the main character, I related so much with Olivia that she is definitely my favourite. It was astounding to see myself so clearly in a book, in
Brooklyn Tayla
That was such a cute, addictive read! Filled with bookish goodness, too! Thank you so much Hachette Australia and Date A Book for my review copy :) full RTC.
catriona (reads)
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: unhauled
I smiled the whole way through
Chiara
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Too juvenile and predictable for me.
Annabel
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book so much. I wish I had such an amazing group of friends when I grew up. And I now want to take a literary road trip so who's with me?!
ThatBookGal
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Paper & Hearts Society is basically a love letter to the bookish community and book lovers everywhere. Filled to the brim with references to fandoms across various genres, I found it utterly charming. Reading Lucy's author letter about the book, I just relate so hard to that difficult time around GCSE's, and so knew that I would going to find some powerful connections in her book.

The characters, in particular the boys, were genuine and I just want to sign up instantly to be the 6th member o
Oda Renate
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic read.
Emotional, swoony, fun, funny.
Great rep.
Fun references.
gem
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is so cute and happy and feel good!

It’s perfect for fans of Alice Oseman and Chloe Coles, this is the ultimate love letter to book fans.

I loved the friendships, and the book club was great. I was never in a Bookclub, but my best friend and I used to raid our local library for all the latest sweet valley books and spend our pocket money buying them all, so I know the sheer joy of spending your time doing nothing but talking about books as a teenager. (I still do that now but knowing I c
Naaytaashreads
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I receive a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

“It is a truth universally acknowledged that any book lover in want of a good book will always find one in a library.”

If you are in need for a quick read light read, this book is a must to pick up.

It's a story about friendship, anxiety, bullying, finding yourself, fitting in and coming of age basically.
I think all of us at some point in our life, mostly in our teens where we feel lost.
We don't know who we are or what
Veronika
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This is breaking my heart, but I didn't really love this book. But it was still a wonderful read and I enjoyed reading it.

The book is about a new girl in town joining a book club, while dealing with some demons from her past.

It was a love letter to all things bookish. It dealt with some important topics and it was really lovely and cute. I adored all the literary references and book recommendations. My copy is now full of post-its with the books I need to read. I am dead jealous that I am not
Rosanna Threakall
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A book for book fans. A lovely read that feels comfy. I love Ed!
Bookread2day
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading The Paper & Hearts Society by Lucy Powrie, now I’m even more excited as author Lucy Powrie can’t wait to write more adventures for The Paper & Hearts Society, that’s awesome, I can’t wait to read another adventure.
I have much more of my review on my blog site. www.bookread2day.wordpress.com
Kara Babcock
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let’s start with this: The Paper & Hearts Society is the kind of book I would have definitely loved as a teenager. Lucy Powrie combines her love of contemporary young adult fiction and classics with a captivating story of moving on from fractured friendships and bullying to create a great story brimming with allusions.

Tabby Brown is a fifteen-year-old book nerd moving to a new town over the summer. Somewhat introverted and anxious, Tabby isn't all that interested in exploring her new home; she’
Vicky (What Vicky Read)
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute story. I flew through this one and just loved how involved books were throughout. I can’t wait for the second book already!
Kate (Reading Through Infinity)
I absolutely loved this! It was filled with hopeful, uplifting messages about friendship, books, and believing in yourself. Full review to come!
molly
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
2nd book of the year, done ! I really enjoyed this seeing that I read it in 3 days ! I absolutely adored the bookish banter and I added quite a few books to my tbr !! I didn’t enjoy Jess though, who would ? 🙄 The paper & hearts society is like the 3 musketeers instead that there is 5 and books instead of swords ! Wow I loved that quote so much ahah ! Regardless, a 4/5 stars from me, happy reading loves xx 💛😁 ...more
Salim ( adventuresofabookworm )
Where do I even begin? Do I start talking about Bath or Haworth? Tabby or Livs? Jane Austen parties or Harry Potter movies marathon? Anxiety in YA? I don’t know where to start.
This book is more than just an ode to literature, it’s a story that consists the meaning to experience the different types of love, to a partner, an author, a friend, and so many more.
I read this book in one setting, three hours and a half, sitting on my bed staring at the pages and going on a whirlwind of adventure(s).
A
Hannah (flippingchapters)
4.5

2nd book for The Reading Rush down! I’m so happy that I decided to pick this one up for this readathon! Afterall, it’s a book about books! *insert a million smiles* it was just a pleasure to read and I love all the characters so much! Especially Tabby and the love interest hehe

TW: bullying, panic attack and anxiety

• The Starlight Watchmaker (The Watchmaker and the Duke, #1)
  • Love, Secret Santa
  • What Magic Is This?
  • Rose, Interrupted
  • Under a Dancing Star
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Chinglish
  • The Places I've Cried in Public
  • Happy Girl Lucky (The Valentines, #1)
  • The Strangeworlds Travel Agency
  • Summer of No Regrets
  • Loveless
  • Heartstream
  • The Love Hypothesis
  • Paper Avalanche
  • A Girl Called Shameless (Izzy O'Neill, #2)
  • Meat Market
  • Venom (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #2)
Lucy Powrie is a blogger, YouTuber and author from the UK. Lucy is the creator of #ukyachat on Twitter. In 2015 Lucy won a UK Young Adult Blogger Award for Champion of YA. When she's not reading, she enjoys cuddling guinea pigs and eating Oreo chocolate, but let's be real: she's mostly always reading. Her debut novel, The Paper & Hearts Society, will be published in June 2019 from Hodder Children’ ...more

The Paper & Hearts Society (3 books)
  • Read with Pride (The Paper & Hearts Society, #2)
  • Untitled