Start by marking “Chosen (Slayer, #2)” as Want to Read:
Chosen (Slayer, #2)

Chosen

(Slayer #2)

“Will get Buffy fans up in their feels.” —Entertainment Weekly on Slayer

Nina continues to learn how to use her slayer powers against enemies old and new in this second novel in the New York Times bestselling series from Kiersten White, set in the world of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Now that Nina has turned the Watcher’s Castle into a utopia for hurt and lonely demons, she’s
Published January 7th 2020 by Simon & Schuster Children's UK

To ask other readers questions about Chosen, please sign up.
Laavanya 7th January 2020 (I read that somewhere before, the date could be different though)

Start your review of Chosen (Slayer, #2)
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

I’m predicting that its title shall be...WATCHER!

Just kidding. It’s CHOSEN. *grabby hands*
Hollis
So, listen. My experience with book one wasn't awesome because the first 60% or so was frustrating af but I thought the ending was intense and interesting and as a result was looking forward to this sequel.

Except CHOSEN was a miserable reading experience without charm, sense, or any kind of joy.

I won't drag this review out as I imagine, as per usual, I'm going to be an outlier but honestly? Other than name dropping and references, this resembled nothing of the Buffyverse I loved and deviated far
Carrie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Chosen by Kiersten White is the second book in the young adult paranormal fantasy Slayer series. This series is a spin off and takes place in the same world of Buffy the Vampire Slayer after Buffy’s time when a new Slayer is chosen as she begins to come into her powers. This second book has picked up after the end of the first so it’s best to read this fantasy series in order starting with Slayer.

In this series Nina and Artemis are twin sisters that have grown up in the Watcher’s Academy and
Alyssa Mead
edit 8/16/19: I NEED IT

__________

does it have a title? nope

does it have a estimated release date? nope

does it have a synopsis? nope

do I know if I’m even going to enjoy the first book, which comes out next year? nope

guess that means it’s time to add it to my Want To Read shelf then \_(ツ)_/)
Jenn
description

^^^ Literally me when I got my hands on this book.

let's just state facts:
- Buffy is my all time favorite show
-Kiersten White is one of my favorite authors

When Kiersten announced she was doing a Buffy series following a new slayer, yeah I was over the moon. Then I found out there would be more than one - just dead. I knew this material was in great hands because Kiersten is a true Buffy fan and understands this world. And I did love the first one and I loved this one. It was soooo close to 5
Sylvie
What? There is already a cover? And I have missed it?

But I must say it looks ...
Zoraida
Jan 07, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020
I love this world so much.
MissBecka
This started off pretty slow and wasn't as exciting as the first book.
She did move the plot along and I got to spend more time with some of my favourite characters (Hello there Doug!).
I would probably say this is more of a 3.5 star, but rounded it up since 3 stars seems harsh.
Still good, just not as good as the first book.
Thanks goes out to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for my ARC.
Caleb Roehrig
This book includes a “Roehrig demon,” officially making my name part of Buffyverse canon. I CAN DIE HAPPY BEST BOOK EVER
Taschima
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description

Why must good things come to an end?!

Slayer and Chosen brought back the spirit of a good Buffy story, better quite honestly that some of the stories in the original series (nobody needed ADAM in the fourth season). It has a great group of friends who are there for each other and also have their own thing going on, the forbidden romance that is signature Buffy, the inner conflict of the Slayer, and the battle of the prejudice from groups of people that are just misinformed or don’t want to face
Jen Ryland
There were things I really enjoyed about this duology.

I loved being back in the Buffyverse and think that these books did a good job of inserting themselves in there. I loved the cameo appearances of some of my favorite characters and think that White's humor matches perfectly with the Buffy humor.

But it seems like all these YA versions of books (including the Wonderwoman/Catwoman YA series) feature a new Scooby gang of younger characters that I can't quite bond with. I struggled with Nina and
Melissa
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what I needed after my last read. It was funny, full of action and surprises, a little bit of romance, and Buffy, and slayers, and demons! I completely devoured and loved it!

Warning, though: you need to have read book 1 to understand this one, because Nina refers often to events happening in the previous book. But if you haven't watched all the Buffy episodes, you'll be fine!

Thank you to Simon and Schuster Canada for the complimentary e-copy of this book through NetGalley.
Elizabeth Mellen
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved Slayer for all the nostalgic Buffy feels, and I was really excited for this one. I didn’t think it was as good, and it had a lot of trope-y feeling moments. I was, however, stoked to see some familiar faces show up. It was fun enough though, and has really cemented Kiersten White as an auto read author for me.
Emily (emilykatereads)
This sequel was one I was really looking forward too. I absolutely loved the magic of Slayer, and am a big fan of Buffy, but the magic from the first book wasn't quite there for me with this one.

I didn't dislike this one, I just didn't love it.

We follow the characters we got to know in the first book, after some betrayals and new dynamics. We start this book off in the sanctuary for demons that Nina has created, and then drama ensues when people Nina used to trust aren't so trustworthy
Andrea
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Well. That went. Ok?

I love Kiersten White's Conqueror's Saga. I even loved her take on Elizabeth Frankenstein. But this series I just can't get into. I don't know why or how. There was action. And a prophecy. It had all the makings of something I thought I would enjoy. Maybe I finally outgrew the YA genre. I find it strange to buy into adults stepping aside to let teenagers run into disaster without a plan when they know better. Or should know better. Plus, really, how often can they be truly
Nicole Hewitt
This review and a giveaway can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

This book once again took me back to my days of true Buffy fandom and reminded me why these stories resonate so well with people—sure, there’s supernatural adventure and a big bad, but it always comes back to heart. It always comes back to relationships. Buffy wasn’t just Buffy; she was the whole Scooby gang, and then that expanded even more. Well, the same goes for these books. Sure, the series centers on Nina and
 Caty
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4,5 stars

Thank gods the Buffyworld exists. I loved this book series. It was funny, smart, full of great action scenes and with a great protagonist who is fighting her own internal battles other than the external ones. I am wondering now if this is the last book or there will be more. I need to check it because I never want to leave this world. Ever.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
4.5 rounded up

I am an original member of the Bronze and have a super soft spot for Buffy and the Buffy Universe. This hit me right in my Buffy feels.

Brianna | RainyDaysAndStormyNights
3.5

I received an e-arc of this book from Netgalley and Simon & Schuster Canada in exchange for an honest review.

I'm really struggling to summarize my thoughts and feelings on this book. Every time I think about it, nothing comes to mind. Things happened in the book! I know they did! But nothing was very memorable and the stakes (no pun intended) weren't high at all.

I love Buffy and this world. The first book in this series was like a warm hug. The characters were great, there were a ton of
Tammy
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: Kiersten White’s Buffy verse series wraps up nicely with Chosen , despite a few uneven plot points, and our favorite characters are back with plenty of snarky humor and Buffy Easter eggs.

“Anyway, you should have said you were a Slayer. Slayers and I go way back. Here.” He pulls out one of his cards, scribbling an

TJ
While Slayer left something to be desired, I enjoyed it for what it was and all the Buffy references. Chosen, on the other hand, I found less charming. It was a drag to get through, and the character arcs felt weird and unearned. As I said in my review of Slayer, it feels like a lot of previously seen plots and themes from Buffy were rehashed here, only done less well. This one just felt uninspired; it wanted to do something similar to Buffy season 5, in the end, and it just... felt meh. The ...more
Nessa
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PSA for all writers everywhere: If you are looking to create a spin off series to one of the biggest fandoms in the world, THIS is how it is done! Anything less is unacceptable. That is all.

I adore Kiersten White. I think she is a fantastic writer and has such a broad range of subject matter that there really is something for everyone to enjoy but what I really admire about her is her ballsy-ness. Let’s be honest here, readers are obsessive and completely unforgiving and there is nothing we
Shanannigans
So much Slayer goodness!

This was such a nostalgic read for me as I am a HUGE Buffy fan, and nothing has filled the gaping wound since the final episode aired many, many years ago!

Naturally, I started with Slayer, which was also fantastic but in Chosen, Nina the MC, really comes into her own.

This is going to be tricky because it is the second book of a series and I don’t want to spoil what could be potentially be an EPIC series for Buffy fans!

The timeline of this and the first book takes place
Caryn - iam.caryn
When I was diving into Slayer, I’ll admit to being filled with mixed emotions of excitement and concern over my expectations. This is the Buffyverse. It’s special, it’s sacred. Thankfully Slayer ended up being a big giant ball of awesome.

Chosen is no different in that aspect. While it is a more serious story, and there isn’t nearly as much teen angst as the first, it was the perfect conclusion to the story.

This duology is definitely required reading for every fan of Buffy. White does an
Karen Barber
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back to the world of the Slayer, and since Nina got her powers returned nothing has felt quite right. She’s reluctant to tell anyone about it and also has to keep quiet about her sister Artemis’s actions.
For reasons that we do, eventually, learn we are kept rather in the dark here. There are all manner of odd events taking place, and Nina is feeling the strain. She fears the final prophecy, knows she has to keep people safe but doesn’t want to repeat the mistakes made by others.
There’s some
Nessa
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Buffy-ness is real with this one.
RTC
Maya Potter
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you to Simon & Schuster Canada for this ARC!

This book was just as fun to read as the first book! I really enjoyed all the funny moments that happened and the plot was really interesting! I've always enjoyed books with a prophecy and this book didn't disappoint! And I can't believe all the twists and turns I wasn't expecting! I have to admit, I was annoyed with Artemis for the majority of the book but I'm glad things
Lindsay
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

2.5/ 5 stars, rounded up to 3

I really enjoyed Slayer, so I was excited to receive an ARC of. Chosen. Unfortunately, I didn’t end up enjoying it as much as book one.

I think part of my disappointment was pacing issues and a weak plot, but most of it comes from there being so many characters that they all blend into each other.

It just didn’t click together for me the same way the first book did. And
Beth
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come on vampirebookclub.net
Britt Margit
Once again, Kiersten White has perfectly distilled all the wit and camp from Whedon's original series into a natural Buffyverse addition. Except this time, she takes it one step further with a deep dive into mental health that wraps you up in one big, ass-kicking slayer hug. A beautiful paranormal coming-of-age tale. I only wish there was more to come.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Blood Countess
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Jane Anonymous
  • The Stars We Steal
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Echoes Between Us
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Tweet Cute
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
  • Dark and Deepest Red
  • Nameless Queen
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Shadows Between Us
Kiersten White is the New York Times bestselling author of many books for teens and young readers, including And I Darken, Now I Rise, Bright We Burn, The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, and Slayer. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, where she perpetually lurks in the shadows. Visit Kiersten online at KierstenWhite.com and follow @KierstenWhite on Twitter.

Slayer (2 books)
  • Slayer (Slayer, #1)
“All these years, I thought the first Watchers were a bit dense for giving power to only one girl. One Slayer to fight everything? One Slayer to make impossible choices? But... that's the beauty of it. Because the Slayer is young. The Slayer is a girl. The Slayer isn't some rich dude, insulated from life and pain and struggle, sitting in his Mr. Darcy house deciding who gets to live and die.
The Slayer is on the streets, in the dark, in the night, walking right alongside the things she hunts. So when she makes life-or-death choices - they're life-or-death choices for her, too. Not just for the things she's hunting. She's not a committee, a council, a group working at a remove.
She'd part of the darkness.
And when you're already in the dark, you can see the subtle differences in the shadows.”
1 likes
“You can't stop what's inside you. If you fight it, it'll win. Figure out how to live with it, how to direct it instead of letting it drag you in its current. And only you can do that.” 1 likes