Start by marking “Last Chance Summer” as Want to Read:

Last Chance Summer

In Shannon Klare's fun and sexy YA novel Last Chance Summer, a teen is shipped off to work as a counselor at a summer camp―only to butt heads with her co-counselor.

Alex is a sheriff's daughter with a less than pristine reputation. When she's caught drinking at a party by her dad’s deputy, she’s in deep trouble. With an already incriminating incident in her past, Alex’s par
Published July 21st 2020 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about Last Chance Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Chance Summer

Start your review of Last Chance Summer
Nursebookie
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
LAST CHANCE SUMMER

Shannon Klare

This is my first Shannon Klare book and I enjoyed reading this quick and fun YA Romance with relatable characters that I enjoyed reading about.

Alex is the sheriff’s daughter who is struggling with a recent loss of her best friend and difficulties moving on. As a last chance effort, Alex is sent to work as a counselor in her aunt’s summer camp in Texas. There she meets Grant where the attraction and friendship undeniable.

I loved the easiness in her writing that h
Stephanie Fitzgerald

My Recommendation
Seventeen year-old Alex is not comfortable in her own skin anymore. As a result of a bad decision that she made, a tragedy occurred that left her without a best friend and unable to cope with her grief. Hoping to find some help for her, Alex’s parents send her to the summer camp that her aunt runs for troubled teens, to be a counselor. Alex has been carrying the weight of her grief and guilt for so long that it will be very difficult for her to open up and expose her dirty sec
Jen Ryland
I typically love books like this, books that I think will be about personal journeys of redemption and self-reflection. But to me this had too much romance (with a strange instalove-to-hate-to-love format) and not enough delving into actual issues.

I really wished the story could have been more about Alex's getting to know her campers and coming to terms with her past than 75% her arguing with Grant over whether she is qualified to be a counselor and 15% refusing to talk to her therapist and 5%
Leighellen Landskov
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020, ya, own, romance
This is the adorable teeny bopper romance I didn't know I needed.

Heeellllloooo high school summer!! This little gem transported me RIGHT back to the summer's of my youth growing up in Ohio. Sneaking out, meeting boys on the golf course. One summer, my best friend Emie Heisey and I set up a tent in the back part of my property. We lived out there ALL SUMMER LONG. Extension chords and sleeping bags. What the heck were my parents thinking?? All I know is it was the best summer of my life and I sti
Wendy
3.5 - I really liked the setting and the story. I always love summer camp settings. I do wish the relationship between Grant and Alex was more fleshed out because it seemed to jump suddenly from bickering to they're flirting and like each other to they're dating-- what? It seemed choppy. I also wish there had been more time to delve into Alex's issues and more time spent on her and her campers. Overall I did enjoy the story though! It's a good summer read! Full review to come. ...more
Lenni Jones
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs-and-special
I was extremely disappointed by this book. After reading and loving "Surviving Adam Meade" by this author, I expected so much more from "Last Chance Summer." Unfortunately, the main character was annoying and self-centered. I expected to come to like her, but I didn't. She annoyed me to the end - which wasn't even a satisfying ending. The whole thing felt very anticlimactic. If you're going to read a book by this author, read "Surviving Adam Meade." It was way better.

The reason this book got two
Patricia
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book's setup is good. Pressed into work as a summer counselor at a camp for troubled youth, Alex is attracted too and repelled by Grant, her co-counselor. What it lacked was a rich back story.

*Who was Marcus and what was their relationship like?
*What about flashbacks with her friend?
*Why did her aunt think she could handle being a counselor?

Without a window into Alex's past, we're adrift and left with Grant saying too many times, "You're not qualified!" (Which she totally wasn't!)
Krysti
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The perfect summer YA read that will tug at your heart strings while making you swoon. LAST CHANCE SUMMER was such a delight. The main character wasn’t always likable, but she was understandable and so well developed. I was rooting for her the whole way through and watching her progression was so rewarding. I was in tears by the time I was reading the final page. I also loved this author’s debut and hope to see more from her in the very near future.
Samantha (WLABB)
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, arcs, romance
After a few bad decisions and a great tragedy, Alex is given an ultimatum, work at her aunt's camp or give up her college fund. She thought this was her last chance summer, but it ends up being her second chance to live.

From the synopsis, I bet you are all thinking this is just some summer romance, and well, it is set in the summer time, and it features a wondrous romance, but it is so much more.

Not only did Alex make some bad decisions, she also lost her best friend. Though it was almost a year
Shirley Cuypers
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-beta, 2020, ebooks
3.5/5*

Original review

This book was provided by the author through Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Shannon Klare and Xpresso Book Tours.

Last Chance Summer
is a standalone Young Adult Contemporary and tells the story of Alex and Grant.

Last Chance Summer was the second book I’ve read by Shannon Klare and I really enjoyed it! Last Chance Summer was a quick, and fun read with some relatable characters. It’s hard not to enjoy a good YA Contemporary and I think that Shan
Fallon
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lacy
May 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: camp
I'm still trying to process my thoughts about Last Chance Summer. The writing was fine and the plot was ok.

I've spent many of the summers of my life as a camper at a summer camp and then later as a counselor. I'm naturally drawn to stories with a camp setting. I've always believed camp is the perfect place to find yourself and figure things out. In a way, it makes sense, that Alex would start to heal from her grief there.

Don't go into this thinking it is only a summer romance. It's so much
Andrew
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Still grappling with the death of her best friend after a tragic accident, Alex is furious when her parents give her an ultimatum-- work at her aunt's camp for troubled kids, or lose her college fund. Reluctantly choosing the former, she finds herself in charge of a cabin filled with rowdy young teens, and locking horns with her cute but aggravatingly uptight co-counselor, Grant. Is this summer worth keeping her college fund? Furthermore, will Alex ever get closure from the accident? Last Chance ...more
Laura's Book Addiction
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
“In your lifetime, you’re allowed to make the wrong choice. That’s what living is. It’s a series of complicated decisions and our ability to weave through them, doing the best we can to pick the right path along the way.”

Last Chance Summer was a quick read, but probably to quick. I felt like it could have done with fifty pages so if not more. I did enjoy Alex’s PoV and Grant was a nice addition to the story.
Kim
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Timeless tale of tortured girl meets tortured boy and they fall in love and their love is what enables them to conquer all. Quick and easy summery read. I do wish there had been more relationship development between Alex and her campers. Having attended and worked at a summer camp for many years growing up, I found the entire concept of how this camp operated a little far fetched.
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
3.5 Stars

A very quick read. Loved the setting and the story, but it needed to be longer so really delve into everything. Felt things moved a little too quickly for my liking. But all in all a good read.
Lindsay Montague
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it
***TRIGGER WARNING***
drunk driving, death of a loved one

I needed more information. This seemed like the first pass on a story. I felt like I didn’t know these people at all. I would have liked for it to have spanned the whole summer, not just a few weeks. She hits a breakthrough in her recovery and then it skip to the end, That could have been a jumping of point to see her develop across the entire summer.

The conversations and dialogue were strong, but dragged on way too long. There co
Kristen
"You want me to let it all out so I can move on. But I can't move on. I can't let it go. I have to live with this. And that's something you could never understand. I'm on my own. Quit trying to help me."

Alex is the daughter of a small town sheriff, but she doesn't have a stellar reputation. While she has made several bad decisions in the past, it's the most recent that has left her hollowed out: after drinking at a party, her best friend dies in a car accident. Wallowing in grief, Alex flunk
Chelsea
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it
thank you to NetGalley and the published for a free copy in exchange for an honest review

This was a quick and easy read about Alex, a girl dealing with a tragedy and a few mistakes, who is given an ultimatum and shipped off to a summer camp to counsel troubled youth. She thinks she has to just endure the summer, but ends up finding forgiveness and love in the process.

I enjoyed this book, a quick read with likeable characters. Grant was adorable and I appreciated his graciousness with Alex, to
Terri
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Meh...I found this book to be fairly predictable and somewhat boring. I did make it through the book. I did not make a connection with the characters. The main characters were thrown together due to circumstances and I never really understood why they liked each other. Of course they were both good looking but they did not know a lot about each other. It might have helped to have some narrative from Grant's perspective. ...more
♡ alekse ♡
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was ok
Normally I hate romance books, but I thought a change of pace might be nice. Overall I thought it was a good book though the protagonist (Alex) got on my nerves.
She was extremely entitled and had a horrible attitude in the beginning which the author tried to disguise as her being witty and sarcastic. However this did get better towards the middle of the book and the end.
It was an nice read to turn your brain off and would recommend 👍
Susan
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
This book was a little scattered and disorganized. It was really missing heart. Also, these are the worst camp counselors ever! You just can’t leave your campers all the time like they did.

I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
michelle (magical reads)
cw: death of a friend, drunk driving

idk…banter is supposed to be fun and witty not paragraphs…
Cassie
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, 2020, may
I had a hard time liking the characters, and feeling invested in their journey. I found myself wanting more progress and development over the course of the story.
T.H. Hernandez
Eighteen-year-old Alex has an attitude bigger than the sun and entitlement issues to give even the most spoiled child a run for their money. The daughter of the town sheriff, she seems to have spent her life breaking the rules for no other reason than she didn’t like them. The only child of two loving parents, she doesn’t really have much to rebel against, except she discovered being a rebel in her small Louisiana town made her more popular, so rebel she did. Until the fateful night in the autum ...more
Colleen
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I am SHOCKED by the low ratings for this book. It is fantastic. So well written.
The biggest complaints I saw were wishing Alex connected more with her campers (Y'all. She literally couldn't connect with pretty much anyone because of what she was dealing with. If the book went further into the summer, I'm sure we would've seen a difference in their relationships.) and her not being likable (well, I think she'd agree. Again, she's dealing with not just guilt but BLAME. That's huge for a 17? year o
Amelia Aguirre
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just like Surviving Adam Mead, I completely inhaled Last Chance Summer and stayed up to the wee hours of the morning reading it. Shannon Klare brought a unique setting to this novel with trouble teenagers, summer camp and an unexpected relationship.

Our main protagonist Alex is the sheriff’s daughter. Trying desperately to break away from the automatic mold, she’s been put in by her peers, Alex made a few mistakes and is currently under “house arrest” by her parents. Tragic happens when she deci
Michelle
Jan 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Last Chance Summer is a young adult contemporary romance by Shannon Klare. I really enjoyed Last Chance Summer. It wasn’t initially as lighthearted as I thought it would be. There were certainly some deeper /darker topics explored like grief and loss, but the balance between summer romance and those topics was handled really well. Overall, this book was a really nice read and the romance in it was great.

In Last Chance Summer we meet our main character Alex, who is still suffering the loss of her
Natalie - FerryGoodBooks
Did you ever go to summer camp?

It has always been my dream to go, but sadly I never went. So here I am as an adult living vicariously through a book that @anovelkingdom had so graciously given me.

This book was written with a surprising amount of depth to both the characters and plot. I was expecting a light hearted summer romcom filled with hijinixes and pranks. I wasn’t at all prepared for the tough topics these characters had to fight through. Though the subject matter did age these characters
Becky
Jul 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 Stars - Last Chance Summer was a fun YA romance where we follow Alex who has recently gotten into some trouble as well as recovering from an accident. Her parents decide that since she failed her senior year that before she starts it over she is going to spend the summer as a camp counselor at her Aunt's camp in Texas. Alex who is still dealing with the guilt and trauma from her accident the previous fall does not want to be there and is making things a little difficult for her co-counselor ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Young Adult Conte...: #18 Last Chance Summer by Shannon Klare 1 9 Sep 01, 2020 09:15PM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Release Date 1 12 Jun 27, 2019 02:04PM

• Far From Normal
  • Say Yes Summer
  • Keep My Heart in San Francisco
  • Trusting You and Other Lies
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Harbor for the Nightingale (Stranje House, #4)
  • The Bone Charmer (The Bone Charmer, #1)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • The Skylighter (The Keepers' Chronicles, #2)
  • A Fall of Marigolds
  • All Our Worst Ideas
  • Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)
  • Poison's Cage (Poison's Kiss #2)
  • Meet Me at Midnight
Shannon Klare is a writer, teacher, reality TV fanatic, and movie connoisseur. When she isn’t writing or daydreaming new plots, Shannon can be found frequenting Starbucks or hanging out with her family. SURVIVING ADAM MEADE was her debut novel. LAST CHANCE SUMMER releases July 21, 2020