Start by marking “Phoenix Falling: A Wildlands Novel” as Want to Read:
Phoenix Falling: A Wildlands Novel

Phoenix Falling: A Wildlands Novel

(Wildlands #5)

Laura Bickle, the critically acclaimed author of Nine of Stars and Witch Creek, returns with a fiery new chapter in her celebrated Wildlands series.

In the Yellowstone backcountry, a merciless source of evil carries a torch for the past…

Petra Dee and her immortal husband, Gabe, have been trying to gain a toehold in what passes for ordinary life in Temperance, Wyoming—

a

Published February 26th 2019 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix Falling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix Falling

Start your review of Phoenix Falling: A Wildlands Novel
Tammie

a wickedly enchanted land founded generations ago by the alchemist, Lascaris. Petra may be adept when it comes to the uncanny, but as a reasoned geologist, Petra still can’t fathom the wildfires suddenly engulfing Yellowstone National Park, or why Gabe claims to have seen the
Craig
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phoenix Falling is the fifth and final volume in the Wildlands fantasy series, and succeeds in bringing the various characters' storylines (there had become quite a few) to a satisfying conclusion for the most part. I can't imagine anyone being able to follow the plot of this book without having read at least some of the prior volumes first, but the unusual combinations of twists and tropes in this time-travelling, non-urban, semi-Gothic alchemical construct make it worthwhile. I was impressed ...more
Bonnie
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 of 5 stars

I didn't realize until the end that this was the end. Really superb wrapup.
Nicole Luiken
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Final installment in this excellent UF series. Alchemy, phoenixes, toad gods, magic mirrors... lots of magic to go along with the very human concerns of losing homes to forest fires and losing parents to Alzheimer's. The ending wrapped up all the series plotlines and characters very nicely.
Laura Thomas
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, paranormal
I’ve been loving these characters since the very beginning of the series and this one is particularly bittersweet as it is the last book. I’ve went through so much with them and I expect I’ll be going through some tough times as I get the wrap up.

Petra struggles with what she is or isn’t. What makes her human? Nine has been separated from her pack. Will she rejoin them? Gabe is the last of the Hangmen. What will he be now? Owen is still haunted by a little girl from his past. Will he finally
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

Phoenix Falling is the Fifth and final installment in author Laura Bickle's Wildlands series. Set in Temperance, Wyoming, Phoenix Falling provides a satisfying ending for the Wildlands books, wrapping up a 5-book story that work both as stand-alone adventures and cohesive whole. This is a book that alternates narratives between several key characters from Petra, to Nine, to Gabriel, to Owen. Each struggles mightily in this story.

*Full
Literati Literature Lovers
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Urban Fantasy

This is a unique urban fantasy series and I really like how the author delved deep into the human aspect of how the characters lived their lives. What does being human mean is the theme in this book, as Petra Dee fears that she is no longer human, after the occurrences in book four. She is terrified of not being human, whereas Gabe is thrilled to be back to his immortal self. The divide between being human and magic is putting a strain on their relationship, as Gabe slips away
Gary Fisher
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like Nothing You've Read Before

Phoenix Falling brings a thoroughly satisfying conclusion to Laura Bickle's excellent "Wildlands" series, leaving no loose threads or frayed ashes in this tightly woven tapestry of the strange events and occurrences in and around Temperence, Wyoming and nearby Yellowstone National Park. Bickle's characters are drawn with depth and detail, her settings sharp as an Ansel Adam's photo, and her plotting, pacing and presentation will take posession of your imagination.
Joe Crowe
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wildlands has an incredible female hero who has a coyote for a sidekick.

I guess I need to write more about the book, but that would have sold me on it right there. COYOTE FOR A SIDEKICK.

If you have not yet read this series, you'll need to read the rest before you read this one, but hey, new series. That's always a good thing.

If you're already a Wildlands fan, this story sticks the landing in a lot of ways. This one has sweet romantic stuff, supernatural evil stuff, and awesome world-building.
I could read about Petra and Gabe forever and never grow tired of it! I felt like this book was a little bit slower than the others and really didn't pick up until the last 4th of the book. I'd be sad if this really was the finale of the series but it was wrapped up pretty neatly so I guess that this is really the end. I still have some lingering questions, mostly revolving around Sig but I guess he'll just remain mostly a mystery.
Nicki
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to audio 3* story 5* narration.

The series got a bit too miserable for my enjoyment in the last two books and I listened to them in bits among more cheerful stories but the end is worth it. I'm glad I got this one, it's a great series of you like things on the darker side but not high on my personal re-listening list because I listen for enjoyment and relaxation (the real world is already dark enough for me).
Roxanne Rhoads
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The conclusion of the Wildlands series is superb. A fitting ending to an amazing series.

The world building is phenomenal and the characters unique and flawed. It is original, like nothing else I've read. And that in itself is amazing. I've read so many books...eventually the glaring similarities are unmistakable and I feel like I've already read the same story too many times.

From start to finish Petra's story kept me glued to the page. I am sad to this unique series end.
Tonya Nardi
I don’t know why it took me so long to finish this. I’ve really enjoyed the series and the book is fun to read. However, I didn’t find it as compelling. This is the last of the wild lands novels so the stories are wrapped up and that feels a little pat but still it’s an overall satisfying conclusion.
Josie Boyce
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent natural end and to this cycle of stories. Such great characters and takes on magic. Very worth reading these wildlands novels and the prequel dark alchemy books. One of my favourite settings.
jeliy
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-urban
This book according to the author's website is Wildlands #3 and not as listed here (GR) as Wildlands #5.

The writing is less choppy in this book, compared to the previous books and the story remains interesting. The lose ends were tied up well.
Rebekah Franklin
This is a continuation in a series (5th). I read the first 3, and missed the 4th. The organization of the series titles was slightly confusing. Dark Alchemy, Mercury Retrograde, and Nine of stars are the first 3; witch creek #4.
Robin
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good end to a good series. Just wish she'd add to it. Rural Fantasy is the closest I can describe it. Interesting characters, same with the world building and the plot.
Beverly J.
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series so much. Sad that this is the final book but wow, what a group of characters. What an incredibly imaginative world this author built.
Angela
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
It's over!? A satisfying ending. I will be on the lookout for the author's next book.
LynnDee (LynnDee's Library)
3.5 stars. Review to come.
Bella Shaw
Jason Mcfarland
May 08, 2019
Ellie
Mar 05, 2019

• Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • American Witch
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose, #1)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Watcher in the Woods (Rockton, #4)
  • Wherever She Goes
  • Demon's Dance (Lizzie Grace, #4)
  • X-Factor Epic Collection Vol. 1: Genesis & Apocalypse
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • PERfunctory AfFECTION
  • Boneyards (Diving Universe, #3)
  • Hell or High Water (Gemini, #3)
  • The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • The Half-Life of Marie Curie
Laura Bickle grew up in rural Ohio, reading entirely too many comic books out loud to her favorite Wonder Woman doll. After graduating with an MA in Sociology – Criminology from Ohio State University and an MLIS in Library Science from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, she patrolled the stacks at the public library and worked with data systems in criminal justice. She now dreams up stories ...more

Wildlands (5 books)
  • Dark Alchemy (Dark Alchemy, #1)
  • Mercury Retrograde (Dark Alchemy, #2)
  • Nine of Stars (Dark Alchemy, #3)
  • Witch Creek (Wildlands #4)