Start by marking “The Confusion of Laurel Graham” as Want to Read:
The Confusion of Laurel Graham

The Confusion of Laurel Graham

Seventeen-year-old Laurel Graham has a singular, all-consuming ambition in this life: become the most renowned nature photographer and birder in the world. The first step to birding domination is to win the junior nature photographer contest run by prominent Fauna magazine. Winning runs in her blood—her beloved activist and nature-loving grandmother placed when she was a g ...more
Published June 4th 2019 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about The Confusion of Laurel Graham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Confusion of Laurel Graham

Lola
I actually finished this book over a week ago but I was in my exam period and for the first time in I don’t know how long, I did not feel like writing a review for a book immediately after being done with it.

Part of it is that I find writing reviews for 3-star-rated books more boring than writing reviews for books I adore or hate. Because it’s good, but it’s not great. It’s readable but I wouldn’t re-read it and would only recommend it to specific people.

The other reason is that I read the firs
McKinlay Dennis
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely fantastic. It was heart-warming, laugh out loud funny, sad, beautiful. I loved it. There's a f/f slow-burn romance. And it made me want to go birding. I love animals so this isn't a huge epiphany or anything, but i hate going outside, so that's a thing. Anyway, Adrienne Kisner is now an autobuy author for me. Highly recommend!
Meghan
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I absolutely love the message of this book and the struggles, trials, and trubulations Laurel went through to save her life, her grandmother, and the sanctuary that her and gran love. This book also got me curious about the science of bird calling and what will it take to identify this mystery bird and the power it poss
Jenni Frencham
Laurel loves birds, her grandmother, and nature. But when her grandmother is out exploring and is hit by a car, Laurel blames herself for her grandmother's coma. Things don't improve when her mother decides to sell gram's house to developers. Laurel is grappling with guilt over her grandmother's injuries, frustration at her mother, on top of the standard drama of high school.

This is an okay book but not a fantastic book. Laurel isn't the only one who is confused - I, too, had difficulty followin
Leah
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019, ya
Didn't spark for me quite the same way Kisner's 2018 release Dear Rachel Maddow did, but I thought it deftly tackled multiple plots - everything breezed right by, although that did make the ending feel a little flimsier and less rooted than the rest of the book. Overall, there was an importance to the issues without overdramatizing or adding gratuitous misunderstandings and twists, something I appreciated in Kisner's writing in the past. I liked reading Laurel's perspective, and I'm always drawn ...more
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I received this ARC from a Goodreads giveaway.

I really, really enjoyed this book. It is one of the few YA books I have read that is an accurate depiction of the teenage mind in this day and age. Not only that, but it was a well-written LGBTQ book and one of the few YA books that didn't force the romance story line.

Laurel is a powerful character who, like most teenagers these days, is growing up in an increasingly political climate. As an avid birder, she works at the local nature center alongs
Ash
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
This was sweet. It felt a little like retro Nancy Drew, with the way the mystery was presented. It’s definitely a YA book that, despite some of the language, I would probably recommend to younger teens. Especially any kids who love birds. I loved Laurel’s reldationship with her grandmother. However, I found her mother to be an incredibly annoying character. I feel like this would would translate well into a fun quirky film.

*ARC provided by Netgalley for my honest review
Muhemed Masika
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
To read you was the unconfusion
The period comes to wash you out of the confusion
Terri Grief
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the story but thought the gratuitous graphic language was unnecessary. I don't mind graphic language when it adds to the character but this just seemed forced.
Stephanie Duff
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this ARC from the Goodreads Giveaways.
*2.5
I tried to look at this objectively since I have no interest in birdwatching, but during the parts of this book that went into details about specific birds my eyes glazed over. It was a good concept for a story, but unless you are obsessed with the avian species, this is going to be a bit of a chore to get through. The main character is not particularly likable, constantly drops f-bombs, and little is actually known about her. We have no idea
Lira
Sara
Alice
Faith Simon
Oct 17, 2018
Adrienne Kisner has master's and doctorate degrees in theology from Boston University and was inspired by her work with high school and college students to write Dear Rachel Maddow. She is also a graduate of Vermont College of Fine Arts with an MFA in writing for children and young adults. Dear Rachel Maddow is her debut.