Start by marking “La Bruja in the Orchard (La Bruja del Barrio Loco #1)” as Want to Read:
La Bruja in the Orchard (La Bruja del Barrio Loco #1)

La Bruja in the Orchard

(La Bruja del Barrio Loco #1)

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  8 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Five-year-old Mona knows something is very wrong, when her older brother Pancho doesn’t come home one night. Her evil sister, Christi, is to blame because Pancho is always defending her. Mona only knows he is in trouble with the police. Now that Pancho is gone, Christi is brutal, constantly terrorizing Mona.

One afternoon, her parents go on an overnight trip and leave her
Published June 18th 2018 by Amazon Digital Services

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of La Bruja in the Orchard (La Bruja del Barrio Loco #1)
Carmen Baca
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bruja in the Orchard is a fast but highly entertaining read. Señora Estrada drew me into the world of 5-year-old Mona, the little girl who sees what goes on around her without understanding some of it. Where did her brother Pancho go and why is her sister Christi so mean to her? She longs to escape her hurtful home, and in the end she finds escape in a way that I wasn’t expecting.
Estrada writes like I do, using our Spanish words for effect, reminding us of our own pasts because of what her char
Maria Estrada
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
La Bruja in the Orchard stemmed from a childhood fear of the dark. I have always had a hyperactive imagination, and I swore there was a bruja outside my bedroom window. No doubt, this fear was because of all the dark tales my parents told me as a child.

When I wrote the story, I wondered, what would happen if La Bruja were real and actually tried to steal a child away. How could La Bruja entice a child to leave with her? I put Mona in that difficult situation.

I also tried to capture the nostalg
Kerri
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maria J Estrada brings magical realism to its best with her creative and imaginative story about Mona, a five-year-old girl rescued by a witch from her older sister, intent on doing her harm. She becomes her apprentice and begins to learn how to harness the power within her. We experience trials and lessons right along with her. One of the things I love about Ms. Estrada's writing is how she uses the folktales and legends from her culture to share these stories with those of us who may not have ...more
Paula
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seeing things that others cannot isn't working out very well for this little girl. No one believes she can really see the bruja (witch). No one would believe how cruelly her sister treats her when no one is looking. The bruja wants her--and it's getting harder to resist the draw.

This is a well written and spine-chilling account of a little girl's brush with evil in many forms. It is one that reminds me of the Hispanic and Native American folklore I grew up hearing from my great-aunts.

If you're l
George S.
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read
I really enjoyed the little novel, especially the different points of view. The author is excellent at letting the reader see the world through the eyes of a small girl. The author was also smart enough to make us understand things the little hero did not, which was a great move. The novel cleverly ends with just as Mona’s brother is shifted off to prison, her parents leave to visit him, and little Mona is left alone, with a witch sneaking around her house. What wil happen next
P.C. Darkcliff
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I like the most about La Bruja in the Orchard is the POV (point of view). The author did a great job at letting us see things through the eyes of a five-year-old girl. Not only that--she also managed to let us understand things the little girl did not understand herself, which was excellent. I really wouldn't like to be in little Mona's shoes: her parents are off to see her brother in prison, and she's alone with a horrid older sister...and with a witch creeping around the house. In the end ...more
Clarke Collins
Aug 07, 2018
Clarke Collins
Aug 07, 2018
Maria Estrada
Aug 05, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Larnell Dunkley

• The Priest of Orpagus
  • HANTU MACABRE: A Suzanna Sim Paranormal Crime Mystery
  • Deception of the Damned
  • Where the Night Never Ends
  • Mildred Romancing the Odds (Mildred Unchained #2)
  • NOS4A2
  • The Inhibited
MARIA J. ESTRADA is an English college professor of Composition, Literature, and her favorite, Creative Writing. She grew up in the desert outside of Yuma, Arizona in the real Barrio de Los Locos, a barrio comprised of new Mexican immigrants and first-generation Chicanos. Drawing from this setting and experiences, she writes like a loca every minute she can—all while magically balancing her work a ...more

La Bruja del Barrio Loco (2 books)
  • La Bruja del Barrio Loco