Start by marking “A Bone to Pick (Widow's Island #2)” as Want to Read:
A Bone to Pick (Widow's Island #2)

A Bone to Pick

(Widow's Island #2)

Deputy Tessa Black gave up her career as a detective with the Seattle PD and returned to the Pacific Northwest island she calls home to care for her ailing mother. Tessa thinks her mother’s illness is the worst thing she’ll face—until she responds to a routine call in the state park and discovers a local man harpooned to a sign.

As the murder investigation unfolds, it becom
Published October 30th 2018 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about A Bone to Pick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bone to Pick

Start your review of A Bone to Pick (Widow's Island #2)
Sandra
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Deputy Tessa Black comes back home to Widow's Island to care for her ailing mother. One night she gets a call (someone heard screaming) and she and park ranger Logan discover a murdered man who has been harpooned. While they investigate the case they discover many secrets about the victim...

This was another enjoyable read from the "Widow's Island" series. The story was fast-paced, interesting, and easy to read. I was curious to find out who the murderer was. I liked the characters and the settin
Carrie
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A Bone to Pick by Melinda Leigh is the second book in the romantic suspense Widow’s Island series. This series is all at novella length and penned by Melinda Leigh along with Kendra Elliot by alternating the books. This pair of authors have teamed up in the past for the romantic suspense Rogue River series of which a couple of the characters have moved over to this series but the books can be read and enjoyed separate from the Rogue River series.

The first book introduced FBI Special Agent Cate W
Sara
A Bone to Pick is the next novella in the ‘Widow’s Island’ series which follows Tessa and Cate, two childhood friends turned FBI agent and sheriff, as they alternate solving crimes with a hint of romance. This time it’s Tessa who takes the lead, as she investigates the mysterious and gruesome murder of a local artist while trying to care for her little sister and elderly mother.

I wasn’t as drawn to Tessa as I had been with Cate, and I found her backstory wasn’t as well developed as it could hav
Melanie
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Bone to Pick was another enjoyable novella in the Widow's Island series with an intriguing mystery and a hint of romance.

Deputy Tessa Black left her job at the Seattle police department to return to Widow's Island to care for her mother. One night while on call she receives reports of someone screaming in the woods of the state park and upon investigating finds a local man harpooned to a sign. After she begins the murder investigation it becomes clear the victim was not who he claimed to be. F
Richard
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Melinda Leigh takes over from Kendra Elliott to pen the 2nd Widow’s Island novella in this four book series.
Again it is a stand alone story drawing on the characters we have mostly been introduced to in the first episode.
Another investigation following the murder of a local artist. The enquiry is in the domain of the Sheriffs’ Dept and led by Tessa and as the body was found within the State Park, Forest Ranger, Logan helps out.
An interesting story unravels and a number of suspects emerge but the
Cyndi
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: no-ow-drama, safe
I liked this! The suspense was good. I would love a little more romance! I liked Tessa and Logan, but I need more Cate and Henry!
Ian
Sheriff's Deputy Tessa Black was forced to return to her hometown on Widow's Island to help care for her ageing mother with dementia. When a young artist is violently murdered she finds herself joining forces with the island's ranger to track down a killer.

Widow's Island is a collaboration between Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot. But while they share a setting and some characters each author has her own main characters. The books will probably follow the same pattern as their Rogue River series
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
Initial Thoughts
This was a nice short read. There are a whole lot of crazy things happening on this island! This one starts off with a murder and an investigation with a lot of twists and turns. There was even a bit of romance to top everything off. I thought that the narrator did a great job with the story.

Book Source: Kindle Unlimited

Full review to be posted soon.
Anita
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy, arc, novella

Part 2 of the Widow's Island novella series collaboration by Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot. These novellas are really short, in fact I read this one while watching the marathon 18 inning World Series Game, have a mystery to solve and a budding romance to cheer for. As was true in the first novella, the baddie was caught not through great police work, but because they self des
☕️Kimberly
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Once again the small Pacific Northwest island known as Widow’s Island charmed me. While the first novella focused on FBI Special Agent Cate, this novel focused on Tessa Black. Tessa has recently moved back to the island from Seattle and she’s been enjoying her position with the quiet island police department. She made the move to care for her ailing mother. It was a decision she hasn't regretted.

Local park ranger and the older brother of Cate, Logan Wilde is also back on the island. After a sti
Ann Lou
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second book in the series and also a short read. I would have wanted it longer but it still packed a punch. So many things happening in the island. Two murders in just a few weeks. This time, a body of a man has been found impaled by a harpoon. It is up to Tessa to investigate this one with the help of Logan.

Life in this island is very interesting, indeed. I can't wait to read what really happened to Sam all those years ago. Is she dead? or still alive?
Laur💫
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-reviewed
The author’s writing style of this book drove me absolutely insane. Tessa said....Tessa moved.... Tessa, there was always about 2-3 words following that. For example: Tessa moved to the door. Tessa sat down. Tessa looked around. There are times when a quick short sentence may be totally appropriate in my opinion, but it started to really grate on me as that kind of sentence structure was used throughout the book. The writing lacked maturity, depth, description and even flow, which was extremely ...more
RachelW (BamaGal)
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
After an enjoyable first novella to the series, this was a bit of a letdown; and not nearly so entertaining a read. The story started off well, with a rather inventive murder to investigate; but quickly went down from there. The main problem was the shortness of the novella. It only took about 45 minutes to read; with a plot that was sparse and underdeveloped in the brevity of the read. The whole storyline felt like it was barely more than an outline.
2.5 stars. A strong second installment of the series. I just adore Melinda Leigh’s heroines. They are so smart, confident and strong.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
A Bone to Pick by Melinda Leigh is the second book in the romantic suspense Widow’s Island series. The second novella in this series spotlights Deputy Tessa Black, who grew up with FBI agent Cate Wilde (introduced in Close to the Bone).

Tessa returned to Widow's island from Seattle, where she worked for the Seattle P.D. Her mother had been diagnosed with alzheimers and she was needed to care for her. Tessa receives an unexpected call that a man has been killed in the local forest with a harpoon.
Diane
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
As much as I dislike novellas, this was a pretty good read. Story line was nicely wrapped up and delivered. The characters are quite likeable, and the murder quite nasty! Apparently, this series will be made up of novellas - since I like the first two I guess I'll continue with it.

From the blurb: In this gripping second novella in the Widow’s Island series, bestselling author Melinda Leigh delivers a chilling tale of murder in the Pacific Northwest.

Deputy Tessa Black gave up her career as a dete
Shalini
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous murder mystery in the series. My first book by this author, I loved how I w as sucked into the island setting.
The writing kept me hooked, being a novella of 100 pages, it was a fast read. The characters were well developed. I loved knowing their personal lives too.
Overall, a great Detective work.
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: https://amzn.to/2pA5c0J

Ooh yes. A Bone to Pick was a nice mystery that kept me guessing and left me even more curious about Widow's Island.

The Gist: An artist has been killed and naked paintings uncovered in his studio? Well they make for lots of potential suspects. They sure do.

Tessa & Logan were both wonderful and whew they have their hands full. Logan's a forest ranger and trying to settle back into life after leaving the military and is deali
Kathy Martin
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tessa Black has left her job with the Seattle police department and taken a job as a deputy on Widow's Island. She needs to take care of her mother who suffers from dementia. She answers a call from a woman who hears screaming in the nearby forest. Because the other deputy's are off the island or already on duty, she calls local park ranger Logan Wilde to go with her. He's her best friends older brother and the object of her childhood crush. Logan has left the Army Special Forces to take this jo ...more
Sophia
The night's calm is broken by the sounds of a man screaming in great pain. Thus begins Sheriff's Deputy Tessa Black's investigation into the gruesome death of a well-loved artist. With the aide of her high school crush and her best friend's brother, Logan Wilde, she works the case and attempts to balance a situation in her home life. I found this second novella in the series just as engaging as the first.

A Bone to Pick follows on the heels of the events in Close to the Bone. It continues Tessa a
Franjessca
Full Review posted at Book Lovin' Mamas

I loved the suspense in this novella, and I loved how Tessa kicked butt in this book too. Melinda always writes some kick-butt heroines in her stories. 🙂 The novella is short, but Melinda Leigh does a fantastic job of keeping readers, like myself, on the edge of my seat. I love everything she writes and needs to find more time to catch up on her books, as well as Kendra Elliot. These two authors are fantastic with their story-telling and making me fall for
Pelusa Rivera
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author..(netgalley) And she is back and back at work looking at a new case and the poor thing really need a break she has her sick mother and another case and she is still working on Samantha's disappearance from years ago. Tessa comes across a dead man who is not all that he seemed as she starts working on the case, she finds that he has all these secrets, lots a money and fake ID, who was he? And why was he keeping all these secrets and keeping up a fake persona. The ...more
Reen
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Widow's Island Book 2
This book is actually a novella, which I am not a big fan of since the story really doesn't get developed enough to keep me interested but this book was an exception. Leigh packs a lot into this novella and it feels like a full length novel when you are finished.
Deputy Tessa Black leaves her job with Seattle PD and returns to Widow's Island in the Pacific Northwest to care for her ailing mother. She and Park Ranger Logan responds to a call in the state park and finds a nast
Andrea Corley
I am really beginning to enjoy the Widow's Island series and can't wait to see where Tess's life goes next! I have absolutely fallen in love with Melinda Leigh and her writing and will keep on reading her books just as soon as they're released!
Todd Glaeser
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was thinking that this would deal more with the lost friend plot from Close to the Bone. Although that is mentioned somewhat, it seems the series shares characters rather than a central plot. (That could change in the next two books, however.)
Cindy
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The dynamic writing duo is back with a new series that takes place on remote Pacific Northwest island. I just devoured both of these books loving the setting, getting to know the new characters along with the suspense in addition to an overarching plot mystery I am sure will take the whole series to solve.

This second part of the series has Deputy Tessa Black getting a call that ends up leading her to find a man murdered in a most unusual way. I was very happy to see that her love interest was g
Don Lazarus
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another Mystery On Widows Island

Tessa, Cate and Logan combine their talents in order solve the Murder of two people they were acquainted with.
It is interesting attempting to follow them as they take each clue and follow until the Murders are solved.
Trish R.
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it

I said I wasn’t going to listen to this because the narrator was soooooo awful but since it was a
free read, free listen I decided to give her another chance to see if she got better. She didn’t. So, I quit listening and just read the novella.

This was a story about the murder of an artist who’d been harpooned AND Tessa’s problem trying to take care of her mother who has dementia and who finally wandered off into the woods.
Since it was only 101 pages I can’t say much without giving it away so, en
Asheley
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Deputy Tess and park ranger Logan investigate a murder in a park on Widow's Island, off the coast in the Pacific Northwest area of the US. A man has been stabbed with a harpoon and stuck to a sign. As far as murders go, this is a fairly grisly one for the small town, but Tess' experience as a former Seattle detective will help her determine who did this and why. Her friends Cate, an FBI agent, and Henry, the local physician and coroner, will also assist with the investigation.

The previous novell
Jacque
Seeing that author Melinda Leigh had a new book coming out I immediately jumped on it. Unfortunately, I thought it was part of her other series. Oops! No matter. I like her characters and storytelling so even though I haven’t read the first book in the Widow’s Island series, I knew I was going to be entertained.

Tessa gave up her career as a detective and returned back to her roots to take care of her ailing mother. Now a deputy on an island, things are relatively quiet. That is until she respond

• Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • A Merciful Promise (Mercy Kilpatrick, #6)
  • A Merciful Fate (Mercy Kilpatrick, #5)
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Death and Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #1)
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
  • A Merciful Silence (Mercy Kilpatrick, #4)
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Alone (Bone Secrets, #4)
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
  • Veiled (Bone Secrets, #3.5)
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane, #1)
#1 Wall Street Journal and #1 Amazon bestselling author Melinda Leigh is a fully recovered banker who learned that writing books is way more fun than analyzing financial statements. Melinda’s debut novel, SHE CAN RUN, was nominated for Best First Novel by the International Thriller Writers. Since then, she has garnered numerous writing accolades, including two RITA® Award nominations and an induct ...more

Widow's Island (6 books)
  • Close to the Bone (Widow's Island #1)
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • Below the Bones (Widow's Island #5)
  • A Broken Bone (Widow's Island #6)