Start by marking “Risk Taker (Mixed Messages, #3)” as Want to Read:
Risk Taker (Mixed Messages, #3)

Risk Taker

(Mixed Messages #3)

Being in love with your best friend is hard.

Henry’s the odd man out. All his friends are settling down, and his reputation as the Hook-Up King of London seems more like a curse than a blessing these days. Especially when it keeps photojournalist Ivo, his best friend and the brilliant man he’s loved since they were fifteen, at arm’s length. But that’s where Ivo wants him,
Published July 22nd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Risk Taker, please sign up.

Start your review of Risk Taker (Mixed Messages, #3)
☆ Todd
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it

Let me first say that I absolutely *LOVED* the first two books in this series. They were funny and had tons of feels.

This book, well, there were parts that I completely adored, but also parts that drove me bat shit crazy.

The story started out well enough, with Henry deciding that he needed to move past his decades-long feelings for Ivo and look for love elsewhere -- just in time for Ivo to return home.

Then seeing the hilarious series of horrible first dates that Henry embarked upon thanks to his
Judith
4.5

"You're the only thing I ever see"

Lily Morton once again introduces two highly likeable characters in Ivo and Henry, in the third book in her Mixed Messages series.Can be read alone but I definitely recommend reading the two previous books.

A story of friends to lovers done in the absolute best way....

Henry and Ivo met when they were 15 and their friendship never wavered.After an encounter that wasn't when they were 18 they are firmly in the friend zone.

Now,as adults,Ivo's job
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

"All I could see was you, so bright and warm and gorgeous. You're the only thing I ever see."

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:

Romance: YES! Henry and Ivo have been in love since they were teens. Henry has unconsciously waited for Ivo all these years.

Ivo, an artist at heart, has wanderlust and is dedicated to his job as a photojournalist, because that's what his dad did; it's what he's expected to do. But Henry is Ivo's home, and Ivo always, always comes back.

Hurt/Com
Wendy
4stars.png (1200×348)

I absolutely loved the first two books in this series, "Rule Breaker" and "Deal Maker". I gave them 4,5 and 5 stars ;) So when I found out we were getting Henry's book next, I couldn't wait to dive in !!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor dive in + gif

Henry has been secretly in love with his stepbrother Ivo for a very long time. Even though their parents didn't stick together, Henry and Ivo did. Not as lovers though...as the best of friends. Not for lack of trying, since Henry once tried to take their relationship further.... He was shot down
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
BR Review with Lost

2.5 Hearts

Before I get into what didn't work for me let me just say how much I adored the first two books in this series. I actually pestered other people to read them because I loved them and wanted to share the love by force if necessary. I also pestered this author for a this book, so it actually pains me that I didn't love it as much as many other people, my co-reviewer included. Lastly, I will ABSOLUTELY read another book by Lily Morton even another one in this series. Es
Nazanin
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Nazanin by: Hadis
Shelves: m-m, 2018
3.5 Stars

This one was a bit different with the other two previous books in the series. This one was a bit more serious but still I liked those previous books more!
Ivo is a photojournalist and he was in the war zone. Now that he came back he has some issues. He saw and felt things that scarred his soul. Henry is a lawyer and in love with his best friend but he scared of being rejected, again. And he thinks Ivo will leave him again and he’s going to be alone and more importantly he afraid of not s
Renée
No one deserves a happily ever after more than Henry.

I fell in love with him in Rule Breaker, almost as much as I did with Gabe.

Who knew his back story would be so rich with unrequited love? The absolute pining he has been doing since he was fifteen years old was heart wrenching.

Ivo, his short-lived stepbrother, is all Henry has ever wanted. Even after their parents' marriage fell apart, they've been kindred spirits and best friends.

He doesn't let himself care for anyone apart from seem
Shile
Audio book - 4 stars

Story - 2.5 stars

My perverted dumb ass thought these two were getting down and dirty while they were still stepbrothers. Shock on me!!

description

Anyhoo! this was such a disappointment. Unnecessary miscommunication was the theme throughout the whole book, what a waste. Something that could have been simply solved with a yes or no.

I can’t believe I am saying this, but Joel Leslie’s narration pulled me through, and the notes that Henry and Ivo left for each other at the beginning of the
Cadiva
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Superb. British writing at its absolute finest and (let me whisper it) my favourite in the series because Henry!

Oh this book is just gorgeous, Henry has been in love with Ivo since he was 15 when the other boy was briefly his step-brother for a few short years. Ivo is his world, his best friend, the only person he's truly honest with and never hides from.

Ivo's a photojournalist and is often in the most dangerous places in the world and he's been in love with Henry for quite some time too, only
Ele
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
One box of shame coming right up! I'm the minority about this one. Ι absolutely LOVED the first two books in the series but Risk Taker was a constant exercise in frustration for me. I'll go with three stars because there were still parts that worked for me; the banter, although toned down, was still there. The writing was excellent, the perfect mix of funny and evocative. The impossibly humorous situations, the steamy bits and the glorious HEA did not disappoint.

So one might ask, "what in the w
Jan
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtq, kindle
Spoilery rant ahead.

(view spoiler)
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3 stars

Lily Morton is an author I have come to adore and while I loved the first two books in this series, I just liked this one. Considering this is one of my least favorite tropes I am not at all surprised, I am not a friends to lovers fan. Never really have been. And while it worked in this one, very well..... it wasn't for me.

I look forward to reading more by Morton in the future, and I highly recommend anyone reading this review to pick up one of her books.

Follow me on ♥ FacebookBlog
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.5 Stars***

This book is why I love the friends to lovers trope so much!!

Fresh Best Friend and Lover Quotes 136 Best Friends therapy Images On Pinterest

It seems that every quietly memorable part of my life has been spent nestled next to him.

Ivo and Henry made my heart SO DAMN FULL! Their friendship is built on unyielding unconditional love, plain and simple. A foundation of acceptance, support and the knowledge that you never need to be anything other than your true self.

I've never met anyone like him. I've never met anyone who I can be totally mys
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Yet another meh book*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

The third book in the standalone series centers around family lawyer, Henry ‘Hen’ Ashworth (34) and his best friend who he's loved since they were fifteen (also his ex-stepbrother), photojournalist Ivo Robinson. Henry has kept Ivo at arms length when it came to 'in love' as Ivo's job make him gone more than being home and it breaks Henry every time Ivo leaves. This time around when Ivo gets home, he's benched for a while and Henry and Ivo is wondering if th
Fabi
I finished! <--- That alone says a lot about this book since I haven't been doing a good job of finishing stories lately.

Lily Morton is an excellent writer. Her words and phrasing are so comfortable and easy to follow. The rich humor her characters embody is priceless. Reading is my happy place, so if an author can make me laugh as well as feel good, then that's a big bonus.

Risk Taker had a few moments of that hilarity that embues both previous books in this series. However, it did not have me R
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

This is really a great series.

Great banter. Great characters. Some nice steam.

This one wasn't my favorite. Like many others, I found the obliviousness of both Henry and Ivo to be a bit much. And it went on a bit too long.

But on the other hand I was thankful (and pleased) with how everything turned out subsequent.

It was so obvious (to everyone but them) that they belonged together.

Now who will be next? Silas? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!
Jewel
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Love is the biggest risk you can ever take."

I have been looking forward to Henry's story since Rule Breaker and I'm so happy that he finally got his happy ending. It wasn't easy, of course. What we have in Risk Taker is two very stubborn MC's that almost didn't get out of their own way to find that happy ending they both wanted and deserved.

Henry is steadfast and loyal to a fault, but has always eschewed monogamy. In truth, he was just waiting for his Mr Right - Ivo Robinson - to fi
Chris
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Oh what an adorable book - from their first meeting as step brothers Henry & Ivo were hooked. Humor, sass and a deep love of each other kept these guys as best friends for such a long time. While Henry had been in love forever, Ivo took a while to realize his love for Henry had moved from platonic to sexual. Once this happened, and with the help of friends, the match making began. There were some funny moments and the letters between these two were hilarious. It was a joyful, fun book ❤️ ...more
Bev

I liked it but would've loved it if these two had extracted their heads outta their backsides a lot sooner. They drove me crazy with the non communication 🤯
Sanaa
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I've been waiting for Henry's book since I met him in the first one and it's safe to say that I loved it a lot.

I also love me a good friends to lovers romance and this was done right. Full review to come.

An arc was provided in exchange for an honest review.
.Lili.
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Friends to lovers + Lily Morton =

To say I was excited for Risk Taker by Lily Morton is an understatement.

Let's not rehash the blurb and get down to the nitty-gritty.

What I loved:

-Best friends to lovers are my crack. There's something about that emotional pull that just gets to me, and LM nailed it.

-UST. The pent-up sexual frustration was palpable. It's been building up for years and when it finally happens- it's something!

-Complex main characters.

-BANTER! I think LM has the best banter of
Jennifer☠Pher☠
I don’t even know if I can write a coherent review. I am delirious. I feel so giddy I can’t even. Third book, third 5★ rating. So amazing. I am just so in love with this series and I feel like it just gets better and better.

I was nervous though. Early reviews had me unsure.

I’m sorry to my friends who didn’t love it but I did!

L-O-V-E-D, LOVED IT!

I really don’t even know what to say. Just take all the best adjectives and that is what I want to say. The story was absolutely beautiful to me and ver
Debra
This was another fun entry in the series.

Henry and Ivo are pining for each other through the first part. Of course, everyone sees the attraction but them. Both are a bit too lost in the relationship they've always had to see the potential for a good change. Henry's decided to settle down and this leads to some fun meddling by his friends as they set him up on one disaster date after another. Finally Ivo can't take it anymore and things start to move along.

The two men definitely suffer from fai
Sheri
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I discovered (and adored) the Mixed Messages series last year I knew Lily Morton was going to make my top ten author list. This third book in the series could easily be a standalone, but I’d hate for you to miss out on the greatness of the first two; so I’d stick with my usual rec of reading them in order. Morton’s books are full of life. Her writing style is unique, her characters are always endearing, and she delivers the full monty of feels. I can close my eyes and I’m instantly in her w ...more
Vanna
4.5 Stars! 🤩💕 Loved it!! Lily Morton has fast become one of my fav authors.. I have loved all her MM books and this one is no different. Her stories are a wonderful mix of complex characters, beautiful emotion, angsty love, sizzling sex and sweet HEAs.. everything that we want in an MM story. 😍
Henry (introduced in "Deal Maker"as Gabe's friend) was due a love-story of his own. As a reader of the series we knew that there was something holding him back from taking a plunge into a relationship. Tha
Laxmama
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 STARS Let me begin saying I loved the first two in the series and could not wait for Henry’s story - This also is a case of it’s just not for me.

From the beginning this is a not how I pictured Henry at all after reading him from the two prior books. Reading this felt as if it was too much back-and-forth and much of the same that could’ve been resolved. We’re talking about adults not children or teenagers who knew each other their whole lives. I didn’t quite feel the same humor-banter from th
Ariana
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fab humour, excruciating UST, a bit of drama and frustration.
In short .... a great and very entertaining book.
I love Lily Morton’s writing!
Deborah
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it

I’ve really enjoyed the previous two books and I love Henry so this was an obvious read for me.

I’d read some mixed reviews but this started well and I’d every confidence that Henry could carry this. For me the whole Henry/Ivo thing was just too dragged and I started skimming. Which is never a good sign.

The dates were bad and not funny. Well one was but more on that later. Should I say the early ones weren’t funny.

There’s one scene where Ivo runs after Henry when he thinks he’s on a date. This sc
Lyndy Ann ♫
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Risk Taker was my sixth Lily Morton book in three months, she has a talent she makes me laugh out loud often while reading, I would go as far as to say Lily Morton is the funniest author I have read.

All her books have great guys who are extremely sarcastic, witty, some are loud, and some are grumpy, but they are all special in their own unique way.

I love all the banter between these guys they don’t mince their words and all the finger gestures HILARIOUS.

Henry and Ivo were a great couple even as

• Virgin Flyer
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • Trick Play (Fake Boyfriend, #2)
  • Deke (Fake Boyfriend, #3)
  • The Boyfriend Game (#boyfriendsbybLoved, #1)
  • Vanilla Clouds
  • Throwing Hearts
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend #5)
  • Blindsided (Fake Boyfriend #4)
  • Private Charter
  • Pisces Hooks Taurus (Signs of Love, #4)
  • Unwritten Law (Steele Brothers #1)
  • IRL: In Real Life (After Oscar, #1)
  • Hudson's Luck (Forever Wilde #4)
  • Heart (Ballsy Boys #3)
  • Galaxies and Oceans
  • Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
Lily is a bestselling gay romance author.

She lives in sunny England with her husband and two children, all of whom claim that they haven't had a proper conversation with her since she got her Kindle.

She has spent her life with her head full of daydreams, and decided one day to just sit down and start writing about them. In the process she discovered that she actually loved writing because how else

Mixed Messages (3 books)
  • Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)
  • Deal Maker (Mixed Messages, #2)