Start by marking “Fake It Till You Break It” as Want to Read:
Fake It Till You Break It

Fake It Till You Break It

Mia and Jake have known each other their whole lives. They’ve endured summer vacations, Sunday brunches, even dentist visits together. Their mothers, who are best friends, are convinced that Mia and Jake would be the perfect couple, even though they can’t stand to be in the same room together.

After Mia’s mom turns away yet another cute boy, Mia and Jake decide they’ve have
Published May 28th 2019 by Swoon Reads

To ask other readers questions about Fake It Till You Break It, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Alexis Nope. Jake is not Asian, only Mia is

Elise (TheBookishActress)
Oct 10, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
A romcom about fake dating, no matter how many times I may have read it before, is the height of romantic perfection and I can and will read it again thanks
alexandra ling
fake dating is the best trope i don't make the rules!!!!!!
Lola
This is the perfect YA romance to read during the summer, perhaps at the beach or next to the pool or even late at night while everyone is sleeping and you’re awake under the atmospheric moonlight. Just don’t read it during a snowstorm, that’s all I ask.

Some might call it cliché and predictable, but I call it entertaining and wish-fulfilling. Mia and Jake have known each other forever—they were best friends but now they don’t know what they are, except their moms think they’d form the perfect c
Navessa
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book reads like if The Kissing Booth and To All the Boys I've Loved Before got together and had a baby.

It contains some of my favorite rom-com tropes of all time, including hate to love, fake dating, and a reverse parent trap years in the making.

But this in no way reads like some sort of amalgamation of the two I compared it to. This truly stands on its own.

The MCs, Mia and Jake, are nice people. Except to each other. You can understand why when their BFF moms have forced them to endure eve
Vicky Who Reads
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it

Mia was a bit too...cliché Wattpad? Manic Pixie Dream Girl? for me. I thought the concept was cute but some of it felt a little forced quirkiness, tbh. I'd say fans of To All the Boys I've Loved Before who want a protagonist who's a little sillier and young will enjoy this!
Divine Anas
I'm a sucker for the enemies to lovers trope so count me in1
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Mia and Jake hate hate hate each other. Which would be totally fine, except their moms are best friends and force them to go everywhere—dentist appointments, school, vacations, etc—in the vain hope that one day they'll fall in love. Mia just wants to date whoever she wants, and Jake wants to get out of another cruise. So they decide to pretend to be in love...which is totally just fine, right?

Okay okay okay. So I rated this three stars. It's not bad, it just felt kinda bland and like something I
Romie
well, that cute™ i just love the enemies to friends to lovers trope, one of the very best, especially when it's written with a dual pov amen thank you. it was adorable, with a bit of drama but not too much, so so sweet and the vietnamese rep was 10/10 (it's never said mia's family is vietnamese, but their last name is, and the the author is as well). this really made me happy! (4.25)
thi
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5
- the first ya contemporary that I’ve read with a Vietnamese lead I’m-
- like I knew I was starved for a female Vietnamese mc but I didn’t know just how starved I was until chao ga was mentioned
- I’m Vietnamese and throughout the story there’s so many little moments from Mia and her family that I could actually relate to (for once) from habits, mannerisms, looks
- not to be dramatic but I almost had a meltdown
- Overall I don’t mind the fake dating trope but it’s far from my favourite; that s
Kayla Brunson
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so freaking cute! Honestly, this would be such a good book for summer reading. I loved our characters and thought they were perfect for each other. Even though they didn’t want to admit at first.

Reading about Mia and Jake fake dating was such a treat! Every time they bickered, had cute moments, and just basically being together added 10 years to my life. Mia was hilarious and quirky while Jake was super cute and ending up being a very swoony guy.

While I did enjoy this, I can admit tha
Haley Hope Gillilan
My lips nearly fell off from smiling so wide, this entire book. Ohhhh my goodness. Is there any trope better than fake dating? It's actually quite difficult to pull off, but Nguyen nails it. It's such a delight to watch Jake and Mia go from hating each other (pfft) to admitting their feelings to figuring out their relationship. I love the little ways that Jake takes care of Mia, and I love that Mia was the one to do the big romantic gesture. Jake is so thoughtful and sweet, and Mia is so hilario ...more
flavia
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read some of the reviews saying that this book was predictable and cliché but I loved it, I found it heartwarming and entertaining. Mia and Jake are the cutest, softest people !!

Longer review once I finish taking my exams 💌
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Fake It Till You Break It by Jenn P. Nguyen is an adorable take on the fake dating trope. The story is realistic as it follows both the sweetness and awkwardness of love, and the main characters are so encouraging of one another. This is a great read to relax with this summer.

❀ PERFECT FOR SUMMER

The book tells the story of two neighbours whose mothers are convinced that they will make the perfect couple. Desperate for the chance to date who she wants and have her m
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
MY RATING: 4.5 / 5 STARS

I received an ARC from Raincoast books in exchange for a honest review.

Okay, I judge books based on publishers sometimes. Yup, it's a fact for me that if I read several arcs from the same publisher and each book failed to make any good rankings for me, I kind of write them off. Swoon Reads was kind of an iffy publisher for me. They had the cutest covers for YA contemporaries that centered over the theme of romance. But they lacked substance, often boring, and childish.
mith
Yes hello it is I, with that “soon” review I wrote like three goddamn years ago or something. Look at me, keeping my promises!!

Anyway YOU GUYS. listen. You’re all traitors, okay? TRAITORS. To know this book EXISTED, with the holy trinity of tropes, and then not tell me about it? The absolute NERVE.

So if you don’t know what this book is about: have I got some news for you. Fake It Till You Break It has:
• fake dating
• hate to love between
• childhood friends

So. Like I said, holy trinity of tropes.
Scrill
Dec 27, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2019
I loved Nguyen's other book so much. I need this asap, it has my favorite tropes. They never get old.
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Fake It Till You Break It was absolutely adorable! If you're looking for a book that will make you smile and laugh, then look no further. This hate to love and fake romance story was a ton of fun. I got sucked in right away and I loved how it all unfolded. So if you're a fan of YA romance, Kasie West or cute movies like To All The Boys I've Loved Before, then you definitely have to pick this one up!
When he hooked his pinkie against mine, I couldn’t help remembering all the times we had done t
Alyssa
I’ve said this before, and I’ll say it again: the fake dating trope is the best trope of all in young adult books. I don’t make the rules, that’s just how it is. And I am happy to say that this is another novel that does the trope so well.

Jake and Mia’s mothers are best friends and because of that they have grown up alongside each other. The older they get, the more their mothers think they would be the perfect couple and try to push them together at the smallest opportunity. Jake and Mia have h
Sana
A perfectly fun and cute book about fake dating enemies-to-lovers with dual POVs (my fave) as well as well-written characters. It reads like a YA rom-com and there are some really hilarious and awkward scenes. I really loved how much Jake admired Mia being a strong woman who can do anything. I like one (1) healthy relationship (in which they start out trying to trick their moms and fail miserably LOL)

Mia is talkative, extremely loyal and kind so a very well-rounded main character. Her dream is t
Sandy
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5

This story follows Mia and Jake who have known each other since they were kids because their moms are best friends and they live across the street from each other. Lately, their moms have been constantly pushing them to date one another but they can't stand to be in the same room. They are sick of it and create a plan to pretend they are dating for a couple weeks and then break up in order to get their moms off their backs. However, now that they are spending more time together, they realize
Nimika
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
it doesn't matter if the plot was kind of what you'd expect from a typical "hate to love fake dating" ya novel BUT i'm still a hardcore sucker for it so i loved this book
Ashley
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019, contemporary
*SWOON*
this was so freaking cute wtf

please please read this book - its such a perfect cute summer romance UGH

*thank you to Edelweiss and Swoon Reads for this review copy!

Full RTC
Catherine Tinker
Jul 16, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: swoon-reads
Enemies-to-lovers, via fake dating.

Yes, please.
K.
Trigger warnings: death of a parent (in the past). I think that's all??

This was super cute and thoroughly enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, it's also predictable af and I knew exactly how it would end from the very first page. I mean, it's a combination of hate-to-love and fake dating, I was destined to love it.

I'm tempted to say that my favourite part of this story were Mia and Jake's mothers because they were too stinking cute for words and their friendship was delightful. Really, my only criti
Hannah
If you're looking for your next summer binge read, Fake It Till You Break it is absolutely perfect. Definitely for fans of To All The Boys I Loved Before and any K-Drama that uses fake dating as its trope, this was an adorable, punchy read that made me smile a lot.
Sofie
5/5 stars

I thought that I had grown out of young adult romance books, but was I wrong and I am so happy I decided to read this book because I rediscovered the joy of reading soft and cute young adult romances.

I loved this book so so so much. It was light, soft and it may I say that it had the romcom factor. The banter between Jake and Mia was so fun and entraining to read.
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I just love the fake dating trope?!?!?!

Darn it, I'm a hopeless case.

EDIT: Y'ALL THIS IS CUTE. GOODBYE MY HEART.
Samantha (WLABB)
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
For the past 15 years, Mia and Jake's mothers have been trying to get these two together. Family vacations, Sunday dim sum, and orchestrated "favors" have put them in proximity with one another for practically their whole lives. When Mia attempted to date other boys, her mother chased them off. Therefore, the pair embarked on a fake-dating mission in an attempt to discourage their mothers' matchmaking.
We're going to date so we won't have to date.

I am pretty sure I grinned throughout this book,
Tiffany
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
actual rating 3.5

a cute and adorable book! and it has both enemies-to-lovers and fake-dating tropes (though i wish there's more enemies-to-lovers). but the ending felt a little bit abrupt for me? the 'problem' they had are basically resolved in one chapter, and i feel like it would be better if it's longer. other than that, if you're looking for light contemporary, definitely try this one!

full review to come!
Lost in Book Land
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Welcome Back!

This is a crazy busy time, BEA and Bookcon this week (unfortunately I am not attending), lots of new releases, and lots of books being announced! Despite the business I love this time of year, I love hearing about all the awesome new reads to come, I love all the new reads arriving in my mailbox and I love the festival season. This book I am talking about today actually comes out today (Happy Book Birthday) so I figured there was no better day to post my thoughts about the book than
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »