Start by marking “Cross My Heart and Hope to Die” as Want to Read:
Cross My Heart and Hope to Die

Cross My Heart and Hope to Die

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
They wanted to get away from it all - but they brought it all with them. It should have been the perfect holiday: lazy days with friends in a rambling old house right on the beach. But when one family drops out and Kath invites her brother and father along instead, everything starts to unravel. All Kath wants is to have sex with her husband without a small child bursting i ...more
381 pages
Published 2005 by HarperCollins Canada (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Cross My Heart and Hope to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross My Heart and Hope to Die

Sarah B.
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of chick lit
There is not enough material here for 450 pages. Much of the detail, which included a surprising amount of trivial chatter, could have been edited out, which would have resulted in a stronger book.

According to the cover of my copy, The Mirror said, "Claire Calman’s novels are several notches up from chick-fic: they’re lively, thought provoking domestic novels that encroach on Trollope territory." I couldn't agree less. This is HIGHLY chicky fic. The main character is a successful shoe designer w
Gypsykat
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
The two main characters, honestly, drove me nuts! One a shrew, the other a doormat martyr (which was especially annoying!!). I didn't like either of them AT ALL & almost stopped reading the book because of it. But the main character at least ended up coming through with some juicy bits that helped endear her to me & i did read on.
Maya
Picked this up after liking other novels by this author, but this story didn't quite gel for me. Didn't quite engage with characters and was puzzled by some relationships and open endings. Even so, the author's style and fundamental storytelling strength will make me pick up future books.
Stephanie
May 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, new_read
I read this on the plane from Toronto to Los Angeles. It kept me occupied for the entire trip, but was pretty transparent, plot-wise. (And in the end, I found the main situation unresolved and irritating.)
Amanda
Dec 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Elizabeth Ann
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
I really wouldn't recommend this book. It was good til past half, and then it got a bit weird. Too much stuff crammed into one book. Didn't like the ending at all. Fairly disappointed.
Alison
Dec 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Family drama about secrets, infidellity and relationships. Was okay but not hugely memorable.
Nicole
Mar 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Deeper than I was expecting. Great read.
Tracy
Jul 01, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was a bit far fetched for me. It was a pretty decent easy read. I would recommend it for a beach vacation or something like that.
Nicola
Sep 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-books
Easy read, not requiring a lot of thinking. The ending came quickly and without reason or explanation -- too loosely tied up for me.
Twyla
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
It was more than what I was expecting, different, and complicated.
Lucy McLaurin
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. Would like to read more of hers.

I guess it could be called a bit of good chick lit!
Charlie Hatton
Feb 12, 2015
Nandy Nicodème
Aug 31, 2014
Santhippe
rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2017
Nov 27, 2013
Jennyjcooper
Sep 22, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Claire Calman was born 1969, the daughter of Pat McNeill, a magazine designer, and Mel Calman, a cartoonist. Before writing fiction, Claire spent several years working in women's magazines, then in book publishing, editing gardening books. She is also a poet and broadcaster and has performed her pithy verse at live readings and on radio many times, including for BBC Radio Four's Woman's Hour, Loos ...more
More about Claire Calman...