Start by marking “My Cat Looks Like My Dad” as Want to Read:
My Cat Looks Like My Dad

My Cat Looks Like My Dad

New from the creator of Wallpaper and Skunk on a String comes a witty and uplifting picture book that will speak to families of all varieties about how family really is what you make it.

Minimal text paired with bright paper-collage illustrations create comparisons on each spread in which the narrator talks about their family--especially the striking similarities between
Published April 15th 2019 by Owlkids

To ask other readers questions about My Cat Looks Like My Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Cat Looks Like My Dad

Start your review of My Cat Looks Like My Dad
Christopher
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
The narrator’s cat looks just like their dad. They even enjoy the same things, like naps and boxes! The narrator looks more like their mom— and they both love dancing. But really, a family is a family no matter how it might look.

Pet owners are often compared to their animals and, for some, the similarities run deep. That’s certainly the case here in the quirky world author/illustrator Thao Lam has produced. Through meticulous paper collage, she compares the dad and his cat practically with a
Kaethe Douglas
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, art
Gorgeous detail to the art: the patterns and colors felt fresh, but the lines are beautiful. I will be following Lam, and caching up on earlier books! I really wish even a single sentence had been devoted to the process and materials used, because I love that kind of thng.

Library copy
Etienne
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funny story and also end with what may start a interesting reflexion/discussion on what make a family.
KDV
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
For whatever reason, I had decided that this was going to be a book with a bunch of illustrations of different dads and their matching cats. No one said that's what this book was, but I'm still kind of disappointed that it's just one dad and one cat. Ha! It might be a good book, but I can't get past wanting more dads and more cats.
Rebecca
I absolutely loved the papercut collage style of this kids’ book. The narrator explains all the ways in which the nerdy-cool 1970s-styled dad resembles the family cat, who is more like a sibling than a pet. “Family is what you make it.” There’s something of a twist ending, too.
Amy
May 09, 2019 added it
Shelves: j-picture-books
Matt: "Come for the cats, stay for the fashion."

And also the fun twist at the end! Love a picture book that can pull off a genuine twist!!
Jypsy
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a funny and charming story. The artwork is nice. What an interesting narrator too! I recommend it.
Emma
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who knew cats and dads had so much in common?? I loved the twist ending and I LOVE the collage illustrations. Sweet and silly book about family.
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute book about how we often look alike in our families, and what makes a family.

Fun examples are given about how the dad and the cat are very much the same. While the narrator says that she is very much like her mother.

My cat looks like my dad

My cat looks like my dad

Cute story about a slightly different type of family.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Rachel
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Thao Lam's books, and this one is no exception. The collage-y art and playful ideas are wonderful, and I love the way that the theme of 'what does family mean' is brought up in a weird and organic way. I will definitely be recommending this.
Andrew
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An adorable and silly book about the similarities of Dad and his big fluffy companion. They are a purrfect match! Our narrator is more like mom; you will be surprised at the resemblance! Collage style illustrations that pop out of the pages and into your heart. This book will make you smile!
Ms. Arca
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This quirky book uses unique, beautiful collage-style art to compare a father and a cat. I was most impressed by the art and thought the concept was original and cute (I've heard of people looking like their dogs, but this cat comparison to dads was new to me!... *goes to look at my own cats to compare with a photo of my dad*).

While this book has a playful vibe, it doesn't feel too silly and it comes back around to how we choose our families and how families are unique.

I can see this being an
Xstch3
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought this children's book was so funny, and an early reader. This book is about a Dad and his cat that looks like him in so many funny ways. The Mom also has a parrot that looks like her. I think it's hilarious that our pets look so much like us, and their temperaments follow ours, and "family is what you make it". I was laughing out loud, reading this book!
Kristine
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cat, picture-books, funny
Oh. My. Goodness. This book is hilarious. I love it!
Dawn Rutherford
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really enjoyed the art and humor of this book.
Effie
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has a lot of humor and I love the paper cut out illustrations. Nice twist at the end!
Rebecca Davis
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! Great, shorter picture book that would work well in a pet storytime.
Lindsey
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful illustrations and a fun story
Michelle Gray
Themes: family, pets
Cheryl Gladfelter
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best ending line I've read in a picture book lately. Hooray for all different types of families!
Ana Calabresi
That was a twist! A book about family. Not a traditional one, but still a family. I loved the cut-out collage illustrations!
Teresa Grabs
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lam’s book is written for three to seven-year-olds and hits that target exquisitely. Using simple sentences that compare the cat to the narrator’s father, Lam paints the family’s picture. The narrator looks more like Mom.

I especially loved how Lam painted the Dad as imperfect. He is scared of heights, sometimes scared of the dark (especially when there is a skunk in the garbage can) and fails to replace the toilet paper roll.

The illustrations are pretty, but personally I think I would be
Leah
Love the paper-collage style!
Cathy
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Cat fans, take a moment to enjoy this book! The first spread showing how the cat and dad look alike will have you grinning, following pages demonstrating how they’re similar will make that smile grow. (Mom picking up after them. Enjoys boxes. Fear of heights.) It’s always a plus when a kids book has added humor that adults can enjoy and this book does that, with a unique ending. As an added plus, the artwork is phenomenal (what does your workspace look like Ms. Lam?) and mirrors that of prior ...more
Amanda
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
A charming book with a great message that family is what you make it, be it animal or human! A heartwarming read sure to be enjoyed by parents and kids alike.

I received a digital ARC from the publisher via Netgalley.
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, 2018
I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley for an honest review.

This sweet and imaginative story would make for a perfect preschool storytime pick. The art is unique and engaging and the simple story will capture young listeners’ or readers’ attention. There’s even a little twist to the story that will delight a curious young child who figures it out.
Cat
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the story and think littles will enjoy it, too. Might be nice opening to a discussion of how we are alike and different from our families. I would have liked to have had been luck with the illustrations, but the pictures didn't download very well. What I could see of them was fun and they looked bold without too much detail. So might be nice for a small group read.

I received a Kindle ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Becky B
You need to read this carefully as there’s a twist at the end that is quite easy to miss (I had to reread it myself because I was going too quickly the first time to fully get it). You have to pay close attention at the end to figure out who the narrator is. Some families will find this book uproariously funny if they have a family member and a pet who also share similar traits. I thought it was cute and somewhat funny, but I think it will have a hit or miss audience. Either readers will ...more
Storywraps
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What is a family you may ask? Defining family can be a tough thing as the word “family” alone is a powerful word that conjures up multiple different meanings and emotions. ... Some might say a family can be anything that involves love.

New from the creator of "Wallpaper and Skunk on a String" this delightful book redefines the typical family. Dad and his beloved cat share special bonds. Their grand orange coifs of hair are quite similar, they both love lapping up milk, they enjoy yoga stretches,
Robin
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lam's illustrations are wonderful here - They look to be a mix of drawings and collage, and they are presented from several angles and vantage points. Our storyteller (who is not identified until the very end), uses simple sentences to describe all the ways that dad and the cat are similar. Each page of pictures fills in more details about their family and daily life. Once Mom is introduced, the text shifts to ways that the narrator and Mom are alike - with a big surprise at the end. This is a ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Spencer's New Pet
  • Saturday
  • Dandy
  • Home Is a Window
Thao Lam has been creating pictures for as long as she can remember. For her, drawing has always felt as natural as breathing. She has an insatiable love for coloured and textured papers, which she uses to create her exuberant collages.

Passionate about children’s books, Thao is especially interested in visual storytelling. She draws inspiration from the stories she hears, from the beauty in