Start by marking “The Power of Focusing: A Practical Guide to Emotional Self-Healing” as Want to Read:
The Power of Focusing: A Practical Guide to Emotional Self-Healing

The Power of Focusing: A Practical Guide to Emotional Self-Healing

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

Focusing is a gentle yet powerful skill that lets you tap into your body’s wisdom and make positive changes in your life. The Power of Focusing shows readers how they can train themselves to learn this vital technique of self-exploration and self-discovery.

Published May 1st 1996 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Focusing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Focusing

Jean Liao
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Changed my life and how I relate to myself and to meditation. This will save you from your own neuroses, if you can muster up the courage and patience to do this practice. I highly recommend it to everyone. One of the most valuable books I have ever been exposed to.
Joan
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This easy to understand, straight forward book explains the technique/practice of Focusing. This is a way of going within and listening to the body which has shown to be helpful in addressing overwhelming emotions and overall creating a healthier and more peaceful inner life. Highly recommend!
Samuel Dellicour
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Succinct book, clear instructions for a very useful tool - a way of tapping into your body's wisdom developed by Eugene Gendlin. I found it easier to read than Gendlin's "Focusing" book.
Terry
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coaching
The felt sense. If you want to coach your body, and coach FROM your body, then this book is for you!
Jerome Baladad
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got hold of this book from digging up from the shelves in one of the remaining thrift stores in Manhattan, and was generally surprised in discovering this. I immediately got interested in reading it, primarily because I got a strong sense it could provide me with a useful set of techniques in connecting with whatever it is that concerns myself almost daily. In the process of doing my book readings, I know that whatever findings I could have will help eventually in my efforts to relate more eff ...more
Rob
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book aims to instruct the reader in how they might address inner conflicts and unresolved issues by tapping into their manifestations as stress/tension in the body, how to have empathy with themselves, and encourages the reader to listen to their own bodily sensations and (critical) thoughts with benevolence, acceptance, and without judgment (rather mindfully).
However, all of these potentially beneficial activities are framed as listening to what your body is telling you, and they take the
culley
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
If you take issue with the self-help paradigm (i.e. if you are like me) then this book will surely trigger you— it is steeped in woo woo language that can make it difficult for people with a scientific preference to digest. That said, the originator of the term focusing was a scientist and the technique comes out of his laboratory research in the 70s. It isn’t a new technique. In a sense, focusing is just listening to your gut. To use more scientific language, these techniques facilitating a som ...more
Gaylene
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a very practical book on the technique of focusing. Eugene Gendlin's book of 1982 was much more interesting to me as a study of the possibilities inherent in learning this introspective activity. I haven't reread Focusing, but perhaps should do so.
When I read about what Muslim author Jamal Rahman called "Sacred Holding", I was reminded of Focusing by Gendlin and Cornell's book as well and wondered about the similarity of this Islamic devotional activity to the psychological practice.
Leesa
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one who has pain
This is a good book for self healing body aches and pains.
Ann takes you through feeling your emotions in your body.
Listening to your body with compassion, without assumptions to help heal your areas of discomfort.
Mary
Dec 28, 2009 added it
"I'm finished" was the only option I could see to get this book off my reading list! I will try again later, maybe. Right now other things and books are higher priority, but I still love the purple cover.
Audrey Diggs
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not keeping my attention - too many irons in play at the moment. I need to get back to this one.
Martha
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Martha by: Mom
Shelves: self-help
Only have tried the methods in this book once so far, but it seems quite helpful.
Noha  Al-Yahya
Jun 02, 2008 rated it liked it
read for class
Renate
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I prefer the book of Gendlin, but this will serve anyone looking for a practical introduction to focussing well.
Brenda
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
an interesting way of looking at feelings and how felt sense in the body needs to be acknowledged and heard in order for us to heal from trauma and suffering.
Adwa91
Jan 24, 2014 added it
To read
Amani
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book will not make a new person of you, but will make you able to face your feelings and emotions instead of ignoring it.
Jean-claude Klein
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Focusing
  • Truth vs. Falsehood: How to Tell the Difference
  • Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee
  • Penguins and Antarctica (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #18)
  • The Self-Healing Cookbook:  Whole Foods To Balance Body, Mind and Moods
  • Rewire Your Brain for Love: Creating Vibrant Relationships Using the Science of Mindfulness
  • Seas of Blood (Fighting Fantasy, #16)
  • Living Like You Mean It: Use the Wisdom and Power of Your Emotions to Get the Life You Really Want
  • Be the Change: How Meditation Can Transform You and the World
  • Damaged Goods: Things You Must Know About Healing From Abuse
  • Twisters and Other Terrible Storms (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #8)
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
  • Mindfulness Plain & Simple
  • Simon  Schuster's Guide to Rocks and Minerals
  • The Five Keys to Mindful Communication: Using Deep Listening and Mindful Speech to Strengthen Relationships, Heal Conflicts, and Accomplish Your Goals
  • Bird Songs: Of North America
  • The Dance of Anger / The Dance of Intimacy / The Dance of Deception
Ann Weiser Cornell is a leading practitioner and theorist of the psychological discipline of focusing. She is particularly known for her own technique known as Inner Relationship Focusing, or IRF. Her works include The Power of Focusing (1996) and The Radical Acceptance of Everything (2005).} She received her undergraduate education at Shimer College, and her graduate education at the University ...more
More about Ann Weiser Cornell

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99