Start by marking “Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All” as Want to Read:
Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All

Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All

You remember Unicorn. You know, Goat's friend? The one who can fly, make it rain cupcakes, and turn things into gold? On the first day of school, Unicorn expects to make his usual big splash. But no one pays him much attention--the other kids are much more interested in the latest trend in toys: rubber bands that look like other things. Unicorn comes up with a plan to get ...more
Published July 9th 2019 by Disney-Hyperion

Mischenko
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Beautiful illustrations, but the story is all over the place and confusing. I normally don't rate children's books this low, but this is one neither my daughter or I enjoyed. Give it a try and see what you think.
Ireadkidsbooks
Nov 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was a hot mess.

The only thing I liked about this follow-up was the end papers (they'd be adorable as wrapping paper). And the spread where Unicorn has big bags under his eyes, because that's how I feel most days.

The first book was so good, but this was visually cluttered and frenetic. Skip it.
Melissa Flanagin
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
It's not surprising to me that I enjoyed this. Number 1 reason being I LOVED the first one Unicorn Think's He's Pretty Great and number 2 I just love everything Bob Shea writes. They are some of the best picture books today. They are always my go to books for story times. The pictures I so vibrate and eye catching and the story line is always clever and fun and keep the kids rolling on the floor laughing.
Ashton
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Blast to the Past with SILLY BANDS!
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wow, I actually didn't like this. Yep, that shocked me too. I usually adore Bob Shea.
Erin Gunderson
Bob Shea books are usually a solid for me, but this one was a real disappointment, especially compared to Unicorn Thinks He's Pretty Great whihc is one of my all time favorites. There are too few unicorn books that have a good story, aren't too wordy, and make good read-alouds for preschoolers. For me, I thought the story in Unicorn Is Maybe Not So Great After All was lacking some of charm of the first book. Perhaps part of that is because goat is my favorite character and there wasn't much of h ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Unicorn: Is Maybe Not So Great After All by Bob Shea. PICTURE BOOK. Disney, JULY 2019. $18. 9781368009447

BUYING ADVISORY: Pre-K, EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

When the kids at school get distracted by a new toy, Unicorn decides to be extra-sparkly-magical to get their attention back. Unfortunately it backfires.

Unicorn is super silly and also irritating in this long-awaited follow-up. Makes for a great read aloud and a possible discussion about the things that we do to get each other’s
Air
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
SURPRISE! This is the second book in the series, lol! I found this out after finishing the book - whoops. It doesn't seem to matter if you have read the first one or not, the story is pretty straight forward. However, I do imagine that if you have already fallen in love with the characters in the first book, that you will probably enjoy the second more. Even without having read the first book, I really enjoyed this one. It was cute with very interactive imagery. Learning that people change, that ...more
Sarah T.
I LOVE Bob Shea's stuff and I love the Unicorn books but man, I have to agree with the other folks who felt this one was a hot mess and all over the place. I would LIKE to still try it for storytime to see what kids think of it, but the illustrations really are all over the place. I get the message about just be yourself, don't worry about being the popular kid, your friends will still be your friends etc.

It just felt like... it was a kids book designed to entertain adults. Did anyone else think
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kiddo-books
A book about trying too hard.

It is the first day of school and Unicorn wants everyone to notice him. Things go south when everyone is far more interested in rubber bands in the shape of other things (ah, I remember those days. That fad lasted sooooo long). So Unicorn decides to make a nuisance of himself to gain everyone's attention and affection to the dismay of his friend goat. He gets a rainbow wig, hair extensions, and even Go-go boots.

In the end, Unicorn finds that his friends still like
Raven Black
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Not sure how this compares to the first one as I have not read it. This time Unicorn is jealous of the new "hot thing" (rubber bands looking like other things: a soccer ball, wagon wheel, port holes...) and tries to make a new an improved Unicorn. Of course, the plan backfires with a face full of glitter. But Unicorn's friends show them what really is important. The abstractness of the illustrations are awkward for me, but there are a few hidden gems (like who the famous author who is coming to ...more
Juliana Lee
Wild illustrations and disjointed text make it hard to follow the story line. Basically, Unicorn is overly confident about his unique specialness. In order to prove his remarkableness to his friends, he goes overboard with the glitter, rainbows, and sparkles. He becomes so irritating, no one wanted him around. The next day, Unicorn stays home in a funk and his friends come to find out if he is okay. They explain that he was super-annoying but he's still their friend.
Amy
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Bob Shea is not my favorite author but we checked this out because my 5-year old LOVES unicorns. While we thought the illustrations were fun, I just didn't love the story. I feel like his writing is very stylized in a voice that may appeal to certain individuals but usually not to a broad audience.
Bob Shea is so funny and creative! (He even pokes fun at himself in this sequel.) Unicorn is back, and is Fabulous! Magical! Amazing! Dressing up in go-go boots and glitter, the others find Unicorn “Not that great after all.”
Read this aloud and spend time looking through the illustrations for belly laughs that won’t stop. (I’m giggling as I write this!)
Anna
Aug 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wasn't a fan of this book. The unicorn is super obnoxious and annoying. I feel like the unicorn didn't really learn its lesson on how to be a good friend to everyone and how to act at school. I enjoyed the details in the illustrations though, especially the "Bob Shea" poster at school. That made me chuckle. I love little details like that in books.
Pam
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Unicorn is back and upset that he's not the center of attention as the school year begins. He makes several choices to draw attention to himself and none of them work. He discovers his friends like him just as he is.
I like Shea's work but the unicorn series is a miss for me with the content. Illustrations are incredibly detailed and the aside comments are hilarious.
Angie
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture
Hmmm. I preordered this months ago because I loved the first one so much.
I am sorry to say ... I sort of wish I hadn't bothered. :/

Didn't know it was a back to school story. So I guess I may end up using it. If kids can get the sort of obtuse lesson of "even when you are annoying real friends stand by you." But it's not nearly as fun as the first one. Sad.
Kayla
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unicorn is back—and unfortunately trying too hard, which results in a confusing mess. And that’s exactly what this story is. Makes me sad, as my kids and I are huge fans of Unicorn Thinks He’s Pretty Great, and Bob Shea in general.
Alison N
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
What's a unicorn to do when he wants to make a big splash but doesn't get the attention he expected? Maybe try EVEN HARDER? But... could that backfire? Find out in this delightful sequel where our pal learns an important lesson.
Maryanne
While a big fan of the original Unicorn book and Bob Shea in general - I had low expectations for this follow-up. It's actually a lot more charming than I would have thought - and a good back to school storytime choice for older readers.
Kelly
I love Bob Shea's work. I did not like this book. I gave it an extra star for color, but the text and story were all over the map and very confusing. The entire book, illustrations and text, felt frenetic, and I actually got a little tense trying to read it.
Becky
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It's not amazing, but it's your typical Bob Shea weirdness that kind of either works for you or doesn't. My favorite part was: You've been super-annoying, for sure, but you're still our friend. Hilariously wise words.
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit disappointing, since I loved the first Unicorn book and generally Bob Shea always. But this one seemed super scattered. I would have trouble sharing it with a storytime group - I thought the story was hard to follow and there were tons of asides that felt shoehorned.
Erin
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unicorn thinks he's amazing!! But when he gets to school, everyone thinks he's completely normal instead of super stellar. Unicorn decides to give himself a makeover and makes everything go wrong. :( But he still has friends who love him!

Good for preschool or older kid storytimes.
EMMANUEL
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is very interesting. I’m not so sure what the significance of a unicorn is. The only visual I was able to generate was “My little pony” television show. I know the rainbow is associated with the LGBT community, but I don’t know if this is relevant.
Amanda
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The latest! greatest! thing has come out and it's NOT you...bum bum bum. How to handle it? What if you can't cope? Poor Unicorn! Good thing he has good friends to help him figure things out. Once again, Shea has handled a touchy subject in a super-fun way.
Ashlin Edmisten
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, childrens
Aww. When folks aren't super-excited about Unicorn's first day back at school (it's everyone else's first day too) he gets a little insecure and overcompensates. But friends like Goat will surely bring reality back, right? Riiiight?
Kaitlyn
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is best when you're running on zero hours of sleep and do all the voices, LOL. I love the unicorn books.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read at Circle Story Time
Theme: Mythical & Magical Creatures
kim
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
older kiddos would find it really funny
Bob Shea has written and illustrated over a dozen picture books including the popular Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and the cult favorite Big Plans illustrated by Lane Smith.

His characters and animations have appeared on Nick Jr, Playhouse Disney and PBS Kids.

Bob spends his days writing, drawing and having “conversations” with NPR.