Start by marking “The Forgotten Girl” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Girl

The Forgotten Girl

A dark mystery unfolds in Rio Youers's riveting tale, for fans of Paul Tremblay and Joe Hill.
Harvey Anderson is a twenty-six-year-old busker who enjoys his peaceful life, but everything is turned upside down when he is abducted and beaten by a group of nondescript thugs. Working for a sinister man known as “the spider”, these goons have spent nine years searching for Harve

Published May 29th 2018 by Titan Books (first published June 13th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Girl

James
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read. Seriously.
Bill
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written with fine characterization and an intriguing plot line. There are a couple secondary characters that are worth the price of admission alone. 4+ Stars and Highly Recommended.

That being said, it’s time for Bills “Rant of the Day”. Enjoy!

I hardly ever read the synopsis for a book because they tend to give too much away. I hate that. This book is a prime example of that. I am so glad that I waited until I finished to check it out. In fact, I’m not so sure I would have read it, had I did
David Agranoff
This is the second novel by Rio Youers that I have read and as much as I liked the first one Westlake Soul it had been five years since I read the last one. Westlake soul was a very slow burn deeply spiritual novel. It was not a easy-breezy read, that I really enjoyed but it was one that I only suggested to fans of very serious horror literature. Not that it didn't have fun and like hearted moments, because it did. That said the tone was deep and introspective.

The Forgotten Girl is very differen
Philip Fracassi
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre, horror
An astounding book. As a reader who devours horror, supernatural thrillers, literary novels and hard-boiled detective and crime books, FORGOTTEN GIRL was like a perfect amalgam of all things awesome for my personal palate. This book moves and breathes, it's got so much heart that when it bleeds with violence and horror you feel the warm sticky smear from the page and into your brain, satisfyingly so.

If you're a fan of books from Dennis Lehane or Stephen King or Chuck Wendig or even folks like B
Sjgomzi
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-list-2018
I’m not going to say much, because the less you know the better when going into this book. What I am going to say is go online or run to your nearest book seller and find this book and read it. Go. Enjoy! And you can thank me later. 😉
Nicole Woodward
This is a very unique and clever sci fi horror/thriller. For the first 100 or so pages I was really gripped. I really enjoy anything that discusses mind control and memory, which this book does.

As the story went along I kind of started to loose interest. It started to loose its momentum which is had the start.

It's a very character driven story, which isn't a bad thing. I just prefer more plot driven stories. I also think this book could have been shorter, it was nearly 500 pages. I don't think
Scott Kemper
Have you ever forgotten about a lover? Ever had amnesia and forgot someone was ever in your life? Ever got caught up in a crazy government conspiracy that becomes the matter of life and death? If you have, you're the protagonist of this book.

The Forgotten Girl by Rio Youers is a book I've been hearing a lot about. Brian Keene raved about it on his podcast, many other reviewers that I follow also loved this book. Many calling it the best horror/thriller of the year. Is it? No, no it's not. Is it
FanFiAddict
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing."

Harvey Anderson has a pretty simple life. He is a street performer in New Jersey, lives in a modest apartment with his girlfriend, and is a mostly upright citizen. One day, out of the blue, Harvey is kidnapped, beaten to a pulp by a group of goons, and has his mind practically assaulted by a man known simply as 'The Spider'. But it isn't Harvey they are truly after, it's his girlfriend:
Ewan
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I liked this, shades of early Stephen King (Firestarter, The Dead Zone), but a pretty original premise.
Missy (myweereads)
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Forgotten Girl by Rio Youers is about Harvey Anderson, a street performer who enjoys his peaceful life, but everything is turned upside down when he is abducted and beaten by a group of thugs who have spent nine years searching for Harvey's girlfriend, Sally. There's only one problem: Sally is gone and Harvey has no memory of her. His girlfriend has the unique ability to selectively erase a person's memories, and finding the forgotten girl comes at quite a cost?

This book was a fast, jam pack
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

This was a seriously enjoyable read! The writing style is enthralling and I found myself swept along very easily from beginning to end. The writing is actually highly cinematic; I could easily picture everything in great detail and I think that this book would translate really well to screen!

The concept is so original and unique. I think it’s best to go into this one knowing as little as possible, to allow yourself to experience the shocks and thrills! In saying that, even though I had
Heide Goody
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This thriller grabs you from the beginning. Harvey is a peace-loving street performer. He avoids trouble and won’t even kill a fly if it gets trapped in his apartment. The novel opens with him being tortured for information about a girl he’s never heard of. When he’s released he comes to realise that this girl lived with him for several years, so what happened to his memories?
Harvey’s journey is gripping. His enemies are incredibly powerful, and he’s really not equipped to take them on, but he k
Shall I Download A Black Hole And Offer It To You
probably 4-5 stars for the concept, but the story was way too long and entirely too jumbled and jarring... had a cutesy "do anything for love" vibe, but i felt strongly the book couldn't decide which genre it was - horror, thriller, mystery, serial killer, science fiction, spy/psyops, adventure/romance - and ended up doing none of them enough, or well enough, to satisfy me... as a novella, maybe 150-ish pages, it could have been stellar, assuming it picked a style and ran with it... Youers has d ...more
Rich Rosell
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw a Joe Hill tweet touting Youers 'The Forgotten Girl', and that was pretty much all I needed to take a chance on it. A zippy mix of supernatural/thriller/serial killer/love story genres, bound together by Youers fast-paced action and wry dark humor. Merciless thugs. Psychic powers. Nasty villain. Unprepared hero. Plus - two wildly memorable sidekicks during the book's final balls out segment.

If 'The Dead Zone' and 'Firestarter' had an illegitimate child, it would sort of be like 'The Forgot
Beverley Lee
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!
Nick Cato
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doesn't get more exciting than this. Full review 7/24 at thehorrorfictionreview.blogspot.com
Sarah Barkai
סיפור טוב. כתיבה מעולה. התאכזבתי קצת מהסוף. בסך הכול נהניתי.
Teresa Reid
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was at once achingly familiar and yet like nothing I've ever read before. If you're a fan of early 80s horror where mine control is used, violence is abundant, and romance occurs, then this is the book for you.
Eduardo
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply put, amazing! This novel is shockingly good, an energetic page-turner, full of interesting twists and turns. It reads like a faster-paced Stephen King at his best. Entirely recommended!
Hayden
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stayed up later than I should have just to finish the book. Professor X and Greg Stillson's vile lovechild are out to find Jean Grey, and her quinoa-eating, street-busking boyfriend is going to help them whether he wants to or not. But, you know, way better than that sounds.
Duffy Pearce
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stayed up until midnight finishing it. Thought I'd hate the street musician but his self deprecating insights made the ptotagonist less slapable.
Lou
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opens with scene of violence and one beaten down by men in search of a girl.
Cowardice must retreat and his busking time aside and some super powers called upon, an ordinary man, Harvey, at war with teleplay and other psychic abilities aided by only vague memories of love our main protagonist finds himself up against a super villain Lang, who established an organisation Nova Oculus, in search of the forgotten girl by any means necessary Harvey must get to her first and piece together fragmented m
Dean Italiano
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. One of the things I like the most about Rio's writing, which may sound strange to most, is the amount of description he uses to set a scene and then MOVES ON to the action. The descriptions are short and crystal clear, not only setting the scene but also the tone and the pace of the upcoming chapter a number of times. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this part of his style.

I don't want to give away too much, which is hard as this book unfolds in a way that new m
Jasmine
Fascinating premise. Going into the book, I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it, as it toyed with a lot of clichés and cringeworthy moments. Especially those awful dreads and the manic pixie dreamgirl qualities of the forgotten love interest. And even though my general dislike of those things remained, I was able to suspend that dislike because of how damn good the story is (plus, he gets rid of the dreads, thank goodness).

The supporting characters are really what made the book convincing, fun, and grip
D. Ward
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my first immersion into the world of a Rio Youers novel but it will not be my last.
THE FORGOTTEN GIRL is not only just one hell of a page-turner, but there is poetry, too—the poetry of moments and of connection. It uncurls from the book and wraps around the mind of the reader, making that final and ultimate connection all authors strive for.
Youers is clearly a master of the craft and it shows in everything from the precision and inspiration with which the plot is laid out to the r
Wendy O'connell
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The concept for The Forgotten Girl by Rio Youers blended Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with Memento, topped off with a huge dose of mafia madness. This is a book, in a large part, is about memories, and the fragile darkness that goes with them. Like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind this book is about love lost, regained and then rearranged to something that makes us whole, further defining who we are. Like Memento this book is dark as memories can be especially if they are tampered ...more
Robert
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because another writer I follow suggested it in a list of books he has read. I am glad I decided to read this. This book is amazing and if you are looking for a well-paced, mysterious, wonderfully engaging novel, I suggest you read this. Youers weaves a narrative like a weaver (or maybe a spider?) making the finest embroidered tapestry. All his threads feed into one another creating a tangle which makes perfect sense in the end. His characters, even the ones who are not presen ...more
Jeanine
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some books are very visual,almost like a movie. This is one of them. If you like a thrill ride ,car chases shoot outs, horror elements and a sweet love story doomed from the start but determined to survive; you will love this book! I almost didn't go to bed last night and read all evening as I raced through this story. Twice I gasped out loud and my friend suggested I stop reading it if I am so upset I am afraid to turn the page, silly non reader! Mind blowing has a new meaning now and Red is a ...more
Emily Randolph-Epstein
The Forgotten Girl is the kind of book that lingers with you, the kind of book you want to read again as soon as you've finished because you don't want it to be over.

There was so much I liked about this book: the language, the vividly drawn settings, the main character's arc. Hands down, my favorite part of the book was the relationship between main character Harvey and his father.

Ideal for fans of Stephen King and Joe Hill.
Carol Lance
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a coward. A case of mistaken identity....

Salt of the earth, quinoa eating, busker, Harvey is thrown into a world he never would have imagined. Gigantic thugs, mind manipulations, and a vague memory of the girl in the blue dress...Harvey has his eyes opened to so many different aspects of his life as he fights to regain the love that was stolen from him.

@stmartinspress @rioyouers @macmillan

Rio Youers has an amazing suspenseful, riveting novel about two main characters, Harvey and Sally/M

• They Don't Come Home Anymore
  • Mr. Suicide
  • Starers
  • The Little Green God of Agony
  • Harrow County #1
  • Colder, Vol. 2: The Bad Seed
  • He Digs A Hole
  • R.I.P.D. Volume 1
  • The Shibboleth (Incarcerado, #2)
  • Letter 44, Volume 3: Dark Matter
  • Nailbiter, Vol. 4: Blood Lust
  • Spread, Vol. 1: No Hope
  • The Complex
  • Keepers
  • Parasyte, Volume 8
  • Revival, Vol. 6: Thy Loyal Sons & Daughters
  • The Boy Who Saw (Solomon Creed #2)
  • Blood Standard (Isaiah Coleridge, #1)
Rio Youers is the British Fantasy Award–nominated author of End Times and Point Hollow. His short fiction has been published in many notable anthologies, and his novel, Westlake Soul, was nominated for Canada’s prestigious Sunburst Award. Rio has been favorably reviewed in such venues as Publisher’s Weekly, Booklist, and The National Post. His new novel, The Forgotten Girl, will be released by Mac ...more
“Cats manage arrogance and cool better than any creature alive. They have all the qualities you hope to see in people: loyalty, independence, intelligence, cleanliness ...” 5 likes