Start by marking “Spin” as Want to Read:

Spin

Sixteen-year-old Jenna Kemp is a typical high school girl, complete with a loyal group of friends and a seemingly understanding boyfriend. But when the demons from Jenna's childhood resurface, she's suddenly spinning out of control–drinking, partying–anything to numb the pain of the past. After distancing herself from her friends and befriending an outcast, her friends and ...more
Published 2019 by K J Farnham Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Spin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spin

Start your review of Spin
Cathy
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book on the recommendation of a friend and I couldn't put it down. I found it gripping and suspenseful, the YA characters were believable and relatable, and I was compelled to find out what had happened to Jenna. I'm not a huge fan of YA usually but this was a different kind of angst and I felt the loyalty that teenagers have in their efforts to protect their friends reputation from the adults around them.
Heather
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(This review will be on my blog All the Ups and Downs soon.)
The synopsis for Spin by K.J. Farnham really grabbed my attention. I had to know why Jenna was acting out. Plus, I liked how the synopsis mentioned that diary entries would be involved. Luckily, I was not disappointed one bit.

Jenna is a 16 year old high school girl. She's the picture of perfection. She's beautiful, popular, makes good grades, athletic, and is a great friend and daughter. However, when a certain person from her past mo
Coco.V
Mar 14, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (3/14/2020)! 🎁
E.S. Carter
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a MUST READ.

K.J. Farnham has created a beautifully written, suspenseful and poignant page-turner that had me reading late into the night.
She masterfully interweaves timelines and covers topics that deserve to be spoken about, while keeping you reading, eager to find out the ending.

If you love YA angst, I wholeheartedly recommend you pick up this book.

Abby Gunderson
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I never wanted to put it down!!
Cortnie
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Content warning: sexual abuse, drug use, underage alcohol use

Spin is a hard-hitting contemporary novel about a sixteen year old girl named Jenna who loves running. Over the course of the book, we witness her going from sweet friend to spiraling out of control after the reappearance of her extended family in her life. Struggling with demons from her past, she turns towards self-medication as she attempts to navigate her world with a slipping control and eventually ends up pushing away her friends
Vicki Cuic
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me into the story from beginning to end. Will definitely be reading more from this author!
MzAnn
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Heartbreaking

If you're looking for a light, happy book with a HEA or even a HFN...this is not it. This book is a very heavy read. So let's start with the trigger warning:

POSSIBLE TRIGGER:
*This story features child sexual abuse

This book was very well-written. The back-and-forth between the present day and the days leading up to Jenna Kemp's disappearance confused me a little at first, but once I got the hang of it (I'm old, but it didn't take long), I was totally sucked in.

This book made me sad..
Alexandra
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking story, told from many different POVs, in two timelines, coming together to reveal a tragedy with so many could have, should haves, I couldn't keep from crying. My heart splintered again and again, "if only" was echoing through my head so loudly, sometimes I had to stop reading. And I am still hung up on the book, still fighting through so many emotions... How could they not have seen?! Of course they didn't. And I can only hope that I never need to see but if it happens, that I am ...more
Heather Navarre
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good.

I found myself reading so slow so I didn’t miss anything.

It is told from many POV and it does a fantastic job of telling what happens after someone goes missing.

This book is about a girl who has suffered abuse so this should only be read if you aren’t triggered.

It is important to watch your kids or watch kids and note any changes to behavior. Also a good message to listen to what they are saying.
Joleen Grace
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book keeps you guessing and wanting to know what happens. It contains a sensitive storyline. The more you read the more you want I know what happened. Some times it was slow but it all made sense in the end
Rachel Barnard
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenna Kemp likes to run and hang out with her three best friends at the local park. She is your average teenager, but she is also hiding a huge secret. She has succeeded in pushing down her secrets so deep that she can live her daily life in peace, but those secrets will slowly bubble to the surface. Jenna will try anything to numb the pain, from nighttime pain meds to weed and alcohol. Her friends don’t understand why she is spinning out of control until the day Jenna doesn’t come home one nigh ...more
Sarah King
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
K.J. Farnham’s latest novel is a young adult story with a mystery at its heart. After reading and enjoying all of Farnham’s previous works, including her last YA novel Don’t Call Me Kit Kat, I was really looking forward to getting stuck into my copy of Spin, and I definitely was not disappointed. Spin is a pacey, edgy read which immediately grabbed me; a compulsive page-turner which kept me up way past my bedtime on the several nights it took me to read it.

The mystery of Jenna Kemp’s disappearan
Polly Barreto
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Ms. Farnham’s best work to date!

Spin is told in multiple POV’s, but each chapter is clearly defined as to which character is talking.

I couldn’t put this book down! She had from hooked from the first page to the last word written.
Jenna Kemp appears to be a normal high school teenager, but in reality she is hiding a secret from her family and friends. This secret starts to consume her and her once normal life starts spinning all around her. It starts as a slow spin, but is soon spiraling
Rebecca Austin
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-kylie-s
Bonnie Kemp's life has turned upside down when her daughter, Jenna, doesn't return home one night. Now she attempts to get her friends to help her figure out where Jenna could possibly be.

But for Jenna's closest friends, Keely, Dustin and Delaney, the last three months they have noticed a change in Jenna and have drifted apart. With the help of Jenna's new friend, Leighton Pierce, can they put the pieces of the puzzle together and find Jenna before it's too late?

OMG - this was an incredible book
Kristine Berger
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, another hit by Farnham! I have read her previous books so was a bit surprised with the change to a mystery. She still has the ability to never want to put the book down, easy reading page-turning style. She was spot on on the high school adolescent story line and had me wondering til the very end. My only reason for not giving this a 5 star was because it took me a while to get into the book. I found all the characters and timing a bit distracting. Now that I know the ending, I want to read ...more
Natalie Casey
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book held me captive from the start. Jenna lives the "perfect" life, has the best friends and boyfriend that anyone would love to have. Unfortunately, she's living a lie.... What seems on the outside as a typical happy teenager, is inside dealing with Heart wrenching pain and trauma. With no way to deal with her struggles and pain, she slowly starts spinning out of control.
This is a gut wrenching story that will not only break your heart, but will have you holding your breath. This author
Dean
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the first book by this author was recommended I dismissed it because it was definitely not my genre. Eventually I did read DON'T CALL ME KIT KAT and found the subject so relevant, critically important and well presented that it should be a mandatory read for young adults AND their parents. I have now read each of K J Farnham's subsequent books. Each book presents critical life experience lessons in a meaningful and entertaining way. SPIN is a critical, timely message wrapped in a mystery. I ...more
Susan Homan
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spin

This book is written in multiple POV, and I believe it totally worked for this book. This book kept me interested and reading way past my bedtime because I had to finish it that night. Jenna is a high school student, who has always been a good student and responsible. She loves running and runs track with one of her best friends. She was sexually assaulted at a young age, but seemed to have handled it well. But suddenly, she is not herself. She is pushing her lifelong friends away, and they
Alicalynn
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Farnham has done it again, but in the best way possible. I literally couldn’t put this book down from the second I read, “It’s the last entry. The one from October twenty-sixth. We’re going to find her, Joseph.”
The friendships, the pull of young love, the struggles of dealing with trauma for everyone involved; everything so emotionally connected and beautifully executed. The ending was so heartbreaking, I couldn’t recover for days. But I loved every minute of it.
Kayla
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely amazing!! I was constantly intrigued as to what was about to happen and found it nearly impossible to put the book down. It covers heavy topics which are very prominent in current society and will send anybody on an emotional roller coaster. If you want a book that will keep you guessing, I would highly suggest this!!
Nickie Sale
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This took me a long time to read, the subject matter is very hard to deal with, however is very sensitively dealt with. The story revolves around Jenna, a teenager who has suffered in silence from a young age from abuse. When she disappears one night, her family and friends start to wonder if her recent out of control behaviour has anything to do with it. Jenna was an avid diary keeper, writing in her diary is the only place that she reveals the abuse she has been through. The story is told from ...more
dawn roper
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for EVERYONE! Especially patents.

This book is guy wrenching to read because it's a story so many have loved and are living. Patents, you need to look for signs in your children. Get to the bottom of their behavior by listening to them. Regardless of age. Kid's it's so important that if this is or has happened to you tell someone. You are not alone!
Meleaha Howard
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing! It is told through multiple POV's, and bounces from before Jenna's disappearance to after. This book may contain triggers for some because Jenna was sexually abused. As heartbreaking as this story was, I am glad that justice was served.
Neisha Exeter
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my usual go-to book, however once I started reading this book, I just could not seem to put it down. Told from dual points of view, Spin was an emotional read for me. A very heartbreaking story with a tragedy. I am looking forward to what more this author has in store. Fantastic book and highly recommended.
Sophie Ruthven
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down

Wow. Just wow.
This was a page turner at it's best.
This was such a gripping tale that you can't look away from.
It's a true reminder of how you have no idea what's going on behind closed doors, or behind people's facades.
Definitely a must read and hope to see more like this from this author.
Samantha Waldow
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spin by K.J. Farnham is about Jenna. She doesn't come home one night. Her stort is told in multiple points of view. This story does have triggers of abuse. I enjoyed reading this story. At times it did drag but it is definitely worth the read and by the end ot all came together. Its well written and will suck you in.
Loralie
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one was a tough read. It starts out with a teenage girl disappearing. I liked that the there was more than one first-person accounts. It was a good way to see how Jenna was perceived. You think you have an idea and then the story goes the other way. I wanted to scream and throw the book many times. She had a big secret and was acting out, and it was tough to watch those around her struggle to figure out why she acted like she did. This is a great read if you're looking for a heartbreaker.
Andrzejewski Amy
I enjoyed this story. It was based on a sensitive subject that should never be taken lightly. The sexual trauma Jenna experienced and hid throughout her childhood and early adolescence, caused her to face terrible consequences in her late teen years. It was sad to watch her push everyone she was close with away. When Jenna felt like she had noone she formed a bond w Leighton.
Leighton turned into being a confidant and a support for Jenna. I found the ending very sad and emotional.

Too bad if Jenn
CJ
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Book! Really well written. I so loved the unexpected twist at the end. LOVED IT SO MUCH.

• Frost (Midnight Ice, #1)
  • The Bane (The Eden Trilogy, #1)
  • Chasing Echoes (Chasing Echoes #1)
  • Complicated Love (Moment In Time #2)
  • The Secret (The Comeback Series Book Four)
  • A White Hot Christmas
  • Wesley (Son, #1)
  • October 19th
  • Times Like These (Blue is the Color, #1)
  • Mabon Mystery
  • in the Light
  • There's a Dragon in the Hen House
  • Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • #TheRealCinderella
  • Doppelgänger
  • A Country Christmas
  • Claimed by Magic (Wolf Creek Shifters, #3)
  • Murder By Numbers (Addie Foster Mysteries Book 3)
K. J. Farnham writes contemporary fiction for women and young adults. She grew up in the Milwaukee area and now lives in western Wisconsin.