Jump to ratings and reviews

Blue Dog Speaks

When Cajun artist George Rodrigue began his series of Blue Dog paintings in 1984, he had no idea that they would consume the greater part of his life for over two decades, and that the mysterious Blue Dog—inspired by his studio dog–turned-model, Tiffany, and the Cajun loup-garou folk legend—would become a wildly popular international icon as well. Blue Dog Speaks is the first book to prominently emphasize Rodrigue’s painting titles, one of the most important elements in the creation of a Blue Dog painting, alongside the works. Rodrigue uses Blue Dog painting titles to provide insight—whether humorous or nostalgic or sad—into the human condition.

In an introduction, Rodrigue reveals how an idea that originated in childhood tales has now grown far beyond; his Blue Dogs have moved beyond Louisiana into formerly uncharted territory and now express larger concepts about contemporary life. His newer titles—such as Right Place Wrong Time and Tiffany Remembers the ’70s—along with other, more abstract ones such as All by Myself with My Happiness capture this shift in style and content.

But most of all, there are the paintings themselves, magnificently displayed, their titles inviting us to ask “What is this dog all about?” and “What is the artist trying to say?” Even though the definitive answers remain a mystery, the titles provide a clue…

511 pages, Hardcover

33 books7 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews
Profile Image for Lori.
352 reviews20 followers
July 22, 2020
Blue Dog Speaks by George Rodrigue is a fun romp through more than 160 Blue Dog paintings never before published in a book. Based on his mother’s loup-garou tales of werewolves, his Blue Dog paintings have evolved from a simple reflection on ghost stories to a vehicle for his voice to speak on the contemporary world around him. Many of the paintings’ themes celebrate his roots in Cajun Louisiana. I’ve always been a fan of the Blue Dog paintings, but I didn’t always grasp their meaning. What makes this collection so unique is that the titles of his paintings are given equal footing with the paintings themselves, thus providing the reader with a deeper level of understanding of his work. The title perfectly reflects the stated purpose of the book, and if we as readers listen and observe carefully, we will come away with a better appreciation for the works and world of George Rodrigue and Blue Dog.
Profile Image for Mimi.
574 reviews
March 8, 2010
I love Blue Dog and since I can't afford to purchase an original, books like this are the next best thing! This book is sitting on my coffee table and I open it to a different Blue Dog a couple times per week, absorbing the ol' Blue Dog wisdom. :) Keep 'em coming, Mr. Rodrique!
Profile Image for Gary Gudmundson.
31 reviews19 followers
June 7, 2012
One of the most spectacular books I have read recently. Spectacularly blue visuals that is.
Profile Image for Carole.
24 reviews57 followers
January 1, 2009
Very colorful and inspirational. what there was to read about Rodrigue's insight to his paintings was very interesting! Makes a unique, fun size coffee table book at about size 8x8 and really thick.
Displaying 1 - 6 of 6 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.