Start by marking “The Backstagers, Vol. 3: Encore” as Want to Read:
The Backstagers, Vol. 3: Encore

The Backstagers, Vol. 3: Encore

(The Backstagers #3)

All the world's a stage . . . but what happens behind the curtain is pure magic—literally!

The Backstagers are back in (stage) blacks, for a festive collection of Valentine’s Day and Halloween stories! Join Jory and the rest of the Backstagers as they wrestle with anti-Valentine crusades, totally creepy phantoms (NOT of the opera), and the everpresent magic of the backstage
Published April 30th 2019 by BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about The Backstagers, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backstagers, Vol. 3

Start your review of The Backstagers, Vol. 3: Encore
Chad
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
There isn't much substance in these Valentine's day and Halloween specials. They are sugary sweet and not much else. The backup stories aren't even that.
Mir
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic, holidays, theater
This was really disjointed. And not just because it's a collection of unrelated shorts. Many of the stories didn't even make sense internally. They were just a bunch of really short, mostly dumb, vignettes set at Valentine's Day and Halloween. If you hadn't already read the first two volumes you'd get very little sense of the kids' personalities other than "Glasses kid has emotional problems" and "short blond one who looks five seems to be retarded." (I don't think Sasha is meant to be actually ...more
Chris Lemmerman
Collecting some Halloween and Valentine's Day stories, these little Backstager vignettes are fun and easy, like the rest of the series.

The meat of the volume are the two lead stories by the usual Backstagers creators, James Tynion IV and Rian Singh; these seem to have the most relevance to the characters and the biggest moral lesson to learn as a result of them, which is to be expected.

Meanwhile there are a collection of about six short stories that range from adorable to just kind of pointless,
Kristin
May 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Assorted shorts from two holiday specials and a summer sampler. Only the first tale rises beyond a one-joke story and buying the individual issues is cheaper. Very disappointing.
Jessica-Robyn
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Backstagers is such a cute series. What it lacks in substance, it makes up for with incredible art and pure sugar sweetness. It is also the perfect time of year to read the Halloween stories.
R
Mar 31, 2020 added it
I thought these specials were pretty cute. I mean the stories obviously weren't as good as the first two volumes but like?? It was cute and that's honestly my favorite part about these comics.
rikajewellee
2.5
all in all, it was cute, but nothing more
i enjoyed two stories, one more than the other, but again... nothing special
but i recommend to read the series anyway
AJ (the.booknerd.reads)
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
i wish it continued the story, but the holiday specials were so cute i don't care
Dakota Morgan
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick, holiday-themed dip back into the world of the Backstagers. The character's are all chatty and fun and refreshingly upbeat. The art is less cartoony than I recall previous volumes being. The main holiday issues are filled with laughs and smiles. The back-up shorts are...a mixed bag. Overall, a pleasant diversion.
Emily
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I know it's a collection of shorts, and I know it's been forever since I read the last ones, but this was overly disjointed and not very well grounded.
Luke Reynolds
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-2019, lgbtq, comics
Despite the exuberance of the characters, I'm not sure if it was enough to hold some of the fluff content this collection pushed for. Although the main series ended last volume, this final Encore of The Backstagers essentially contains one-off specials and corresponding shorts based on Valentine's Day and Halloween. Like I mentioned before, there was little substance, but these adventures were still fun and buoyant (although the shorts with their guest artists didn't leave me with as much enthus ...more
Becky Boudreau
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads, own-read
Rating: 3.5/5

I liked the main Valentine’s Day and Halloween stories and a few of the short stories, but some others just didn’t do it for me. I guess that sums up every anthology.

Overall, this was pretty cute.
Stephanie
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Some fun Valentine’s Day and Halloween short stories
ReadWithE
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5. Cute little vignettes for fans of the other two books.
Alison
This is a collection of unrelated shorts and little scenes about our cast and their Valentine's Day and Halloween adventures. As such, there's not much substance and it doesn't really further the story, but it's still fun and there's plenty of cute fluff.
Rick
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not quite up to the same level of wonderhood that the other volumes are, but it was still quite enjoyable and entertaining.
Punk
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Of course as soon as I say how much I like it when a title has the same author and artist all the way through, this one throws up one of those volumes that appears to be scraped together from special issues so that none of it's related, it's jumbled up in time, and the art changes every other page. Somehow I still liked this better than the last volume because it's more about the characters than the mystic collective unconscious of the theater. Also, except for a couple of the Halloween pieces, ...more
Courtney Rose
I love the Backstagers series. The first two volumes were fresh and fun and cutesy without being overly sappy and annoying. This volume didn't read as fun for me.

I know. It's my own fault. I checked this out from the library after seeing the cover and squealing BACKSTAGERS! to myself without reading the synopsis. This is a collection of Valentines Day and Halloween themed short stories within the universe of Backstagers, but it doesn't really advance the plot set forth in the first two volumes.
Sesana
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comics
There's a couple of really good stories here, but it's mostly fluff. Largely cute fluff, but fluff nonetheless.
Mehsi
The next The Backstagers is here and this time we got two new stories, Halloween and Valentines Day are here!

I was superdupermega excited about this one, I just adore this series, I love the characters (well, most of them), and I am always eager for more stories about this group. To see what kind of shenanigans they get up to next and if that backstage stuff is making an appearance again.

First up Valentines Day: 3 stars. It started off so well with my favourite couple making cute eyes at each ot
Cale
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
The only reason this gets three stars instead of four is because it's mislabeled as a Volume 3, when it's actually interstitial stories (Halloween and Valentines intermissions) that are nice adds but aren't continuing the plot. Instead, they give other artists and writers a chance to run with the characters, and they do so with pretty good results. There are two full-issue stories; the Valentine's Day story with Beckett lighting a Top 10 romance scenes show while hating on the holiday is a lot o ...more
Social_Sloth
Jul 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Sara I
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a cute volume full of holiday stories (Halloween and Valentines Day) that exposed more secrets of the magical theater and gave readers more time with the Backstagers. This volume was a quick, enjoyable read and left me wanting more. What I like about this series is how it makes working in the theater (in any job) magical still which I feel is true of working in the arts. It also has it's slightly dark moments that when confronted often end up being not at all what they seemed at first a ...more
Adam Stone
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The third volume of The Backstagers is an anthology of short stories from The Backstagers' Halloween and Valentine's Day. Like the first two volumes, it's an adorable, all-age friendly, non-binary, racially diverse, queer friendly comic about theater tech high school students.

You don't need to have read the first two volumes to enjoy this, as this would work as an intro to the series just as much as volume one does.

I recommend it for people looking for all-ages comics that don't center on an ado
Nabilah
If you finished reading the two volumes of The Backstagers and desperately wanted more cute content, this is the book for you! This volume features bonus stories from both Valentine's Day (yay love stories!) as well as Halloween (oOOoOo spooky stories). This volume doesn't have a central plot, just more of the different shenanigans the gang get into, but that's exactly what I wanted, and this delivered!
Chang
Nov 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disappointing collection of standalone holiday-themed (Valentine's & Halloween) short stories separate from the main series arc(in Volumes 1 & 2). Forgettable and inconsequential. At best, they're ... adorable? Probably? Personally, they were a spot to get through. They were boring. How did they not use the opportunity to explore the magical tunnels in the backstage? They could've been fun one-off adventures, instead we got uninteresting filler. Hard pass. ...more
Spencer
Sep 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This volume is just a collection of short comics based around Valentine's Day and Halloween. It doesn't add much to the plot, but I went into it knowing that so I don't mind.

Overall it's an enjoyable read; I liked some of the stories more than others, but I didn't outright dislike any of them.

I'm personally not a fan of guest artists (I like everything to have a cohesive artstyle), so I consider that a downside of this volume.
Emily
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading this installment was bittersweet for me. Even though the graphic novel itself was not sad in the slightest, it reminded me of when I worked tech, how fun it was, and how much I miss it. As for the graphic novel itself, the characters are still cute and funny, but still a bit one-dimensional. And the stories were a little goofy, but still fun.
Jenny
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was fun! I love these characters and I enjoyed reading about their wacky adventures. Some stories, like the first Valentine story and the Halloween one, were very good but some were just okay. I love the art style and how expressive it is. Definitely recommend for fans of the series, not as good as the first two but still fun.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Lumberjanes, Vol. 11: Time After Crime (Lumberjanes, Vol. 11)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 12: Jackalope Springs Eternal (Lumberjanes, Vol. 12)
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)
  • The Backstagers and the Ghost Light (Backstagers #1)
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • The Backstagers and the Theater of the Ancients (Backstagers #2)
  • Lumberjanes: The Shape of Friendship
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 13: Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 10  (Giant Days, #10)
  • Heavy Vinyl: Y2K-O!
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • Giant Days, Vol. 11 (Giant Days, #11)
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Ghosted in L.A., Vol. 1
  • Giant Days, Vol. 9 (Giant Days #9)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 10: Parents' Day (Lumberjanes, Vol. 10)
  • By Night, Vol. 1
Prior to his first professional work, Tynion was a student of Scott Snyder's at Sarah Lawrence College. A few years later, he worked as for Vertigo as Fables editor Shelly Bond's intern. In late 2011, with DC deciding to give Batman (written by Snyder) a back up feature, Tynion was brought in by request of Snyder to script the back ups he had plotted. Tynion would later do the same with the Batman ...more

The Backstagers (3 books)
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 1: Rebels Without Applause