Start by marking “NieR:Automata: Short Story Long” as Want to Read:
NieR:Automata: Short Story Long

NieR:Automata: Short Story Long

Experience the world and characters of the hit video game franchise!

When alien forces invade with an army of Machines, the remnants of humanity must depend on Androids of their own design—the placid 2B and the excitable 9S—to survive.

From Pod 153,
to fans of NieR Automata  [ref &NieR: Automata: a Short Story Long]

Question: What is a fiction collection?

Affirmative: It is
Published April 9th 2019 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about NieR, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NieR

Start your review of NieR:Automata: Short Story Long
Jess
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this.

To get the most out of this if you will need to have knowledge of both of the games in the Nier series. As a fan of both the original Nier game (I lovingly refer to it as a beautiful disaster since the story and characters are amazing but it's some hardcore early PS3 clunky gameplay) and Nier:Automata I was really satisfied with this book. The first and last stories especially have a lot more impact if you played the first game.

I really liked that this was a collection
Víctor
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Setting aside the typos in some of the stories the stories themselves are excellent
Nikolai
The short stories were fun, but nothing amazing. Unfortunately in a lot of them, especially the second one, typos, grammatical issues, and other translation problems REALLY made reading a chore.
But the two stories by Yoko Taro stand out overall in my opinion.

The Flame of Prometheus - 4/5
YoRHa ver. 1.05 - 1/5
Memory Cage - 4/5
Orbital Bunker Observation Diary - 3/5
Small Flowers - 5/5
A Much Too Silent Sea - 4/5
Memory Thorn - 4/5
Recollections of Emil - 3/5*

*Has Easter eggs that could be more interes
Sophie
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: video-games, reviewed
Overall impressions: Easily an improvement over Long Story Short , thanks to the stories being separate from the game rather than a direct retelling. Typos and idiosyncrasies in the translation still exist, though - these books really needed a better editor and some oversight from Square Enix to make the translations square with the game translation. (The most painful error was “Glory to humans,” but the use of Ms./Mr. honorifics continues as well, and there was an odd bit suggesting “roger” ...more
Matt
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories from the NieR: Automata world that take place prior to the game's story, I thoroughly enjoyed the read. The translation is a bit clunky here and there, but otherwise, oof. I love the story, concepts, questions, and ideas behind NieR: Automata, and I'm not sure this could have disappointed me at all regardless. So, Bias. Yes. But good nonetheless.
Ms. Rokaw
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While typos still riddled this book throughout, occasionally bringing me out of the story to attempt to decipher what had actually happened- see 9S standing to stab... 9S?- I enjoyed reading this far more than Long Story Short. The stories being new to me, I think, really helped with the enjoyment of the story. Overall, a good read. I specifically enjoyed Memory Cage, Memory Thorn, and YoRHa- Ver. 1.05.
Yuyine
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Si le premier livre consistait plus ou moins en une version romancée de l’aventure du jeu, Short story long se concentre au contraire sur des périodes ayant lieu avant celle du jeu (hormis pour une très courte nouvelle mais qui nous apporte un nouveau point de vue). On y découvre ainsi tout un nouveau pan de cet univers, on approfondit également notre connaissance de personnages du jeu et on fait également la rencontre d’autres protagonistes qui, à travers leur histoire, nous donne à voir l’éten ...more
Mélanie D.
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Translations matters aside, now this I really liked.
This is the content I was looking for, things that were only hinted at in the main story, but also new stories and characters.
Of course, my favorites were Memory Cage & Memory Thorn, which develop further the complexity of 9S' character, and of course, 2B's. The parallel between those two short stories was great, and I also liked the one between Small Flowers and Recollections of Emil.
A Much Too Silent Sea was amazing too. You can't help but ro
Crossroads Library
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really neat collection of shorts that are directly tied to the NieR: Automata game. With that said, if you haven't played the game, the stories, while still interesting, will make little to no sense. The translation is a bit clunky, which isn't the worst thing in the world, but it does just show that with a proper editing and translation, an author could craft something magical out of it. The collection gives you a real peak into what A2, 2B, and 9S are thinking during points that are ...more
Jessica Vella
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly I thought A2's story dragged a little and didn't quite capture me but the rest were very interesting and about as depressing as one would expect after having played the soul-destroying masterpiece that is NieR: Automata.

Minor mistranslations can be a bit irksome. "Glory to humans" just doesn't sound right if you've played the game in English.
Natalie Joy
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's fantastic IF you have knowledge (ideally, have played) the two games in the Nier series of video games. The world building is great and really fleshes out the overall story. I took off a star because honestly, as a stand-alone story with no background knowledge of the Nier world, it will be confusing and simply not mean as much. But if you're a Nier fan it's a must-read!
Derek Field
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I always feel great diving into the world of Nier:Automata. The short stories contained in this book help flesh out an already well-realized setting.

Showing the plights of minor characters is a welcome change of pace.
Rohit
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DLC worthy stories

Some of the stories should be made into DLCs for the game.
Most of them are available to read free on the game's wiki. I bought this to read the novelization of the YoRHa stage play which is excellent as are rest of the stories.
Ian Roditi
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ay los androides y máquinas existencialistas tristes 😭❤️
Henrique Lage
Como si Stanislaw Lem hubiera escrito "Yo, Robot" inspirado por Karel Čapek: humor existencialista que hiela la sonrisa.
∼♥ Shema ♥∽
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Even if it's pointless we still have to do it."
Audrey Arnold
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was an impulse buy at B&N. I saw it on the table and was captured by the unique description and liked the fact that it was a short story collection. I bought it having no idea whatsoever that it was based off a video game. I've never heard of or played the game, but I really enjoyed this book of short stories!

The stories in this book are so well crafted. They're emotional, intriguing, full of twists and turns, and always have "punchy" endings that leave you feeling amazed. I enjoyed th
Cierra
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One or two stories that weren't as interesting, but there are some great ones. yorha 1.5 is included, so you can read about a2's and anemones backstory if you want it. There is one with Emil that I really like. The two stories I loved most and I just absolutely adored were memory thorn and memory cage, they're so good! Definitely got a cry out of me, so heartfelt and so tragic and so good! They're about 9s and 2b and so worth it. I also really like the one about the h model, it was good as well. ...more
Ghostly
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book to read if you want to get more out of the NieR universe. It has short stories that have to do with both NieR and NieR Automata which is awesome. Some are definitely better than others but that's okay. Also there are some typos/weird grammar but they're pretty few and far between so yeah. I'm still giving it five stars though just because I'm biased and I have NieR nostalgia goggles welded to my head lmao.
Mai
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
god Yoko Taro knows how to make one suffer.
I liked all the short stories about the androids... they gave you another look in how f*cked up command and the whole system was...
I felt very sad for 2B9S, A2 and 10H (her pod was a pain in the butt)
and having Emil retelling events you could also play in the last story... omg :( (Ending Y could be considered canon I guess)
John Pennycook
A mixed bag. A few of the short stories are interesting, with the same unusual style as NieR itself. But many of them simply re-tell events from the game.
Lindsey Elizabeth
I ugly cried at the end. My boy with his family, together.

But also all the stories were very good. The new ones, the ones we finally get to learn more of.. the last one.
Daniel Giribet

• やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。5
  • やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。1
  • やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。6
  • やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている 3
  • Bakemonogatari, Part 1 (Bakemonogatari, #1, Part 1)
  • Little Witch Academia (light novel): The Nonsensical Witch and the Country of the Fairies
  • やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。2
  • やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。4
  • The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
  • JK Haru is a Sex Worker in Another World
  • Themes and Variations
  • Berserk Deluxe Edition Volume 2
  • Fight to the Finish: The First World War - Month by Month
  • Here's Looking at Euclid: A Surprising Excursion Through the Astonishing World of Math
  • Cats of the Louvre