Start by marking “Sparks of Phoenix” as Want to Read:
Sparks of Phoenix

Sparks of Phoenix

In Sparks of Phoenix—Najwa Zebian’s third book of poetry—she takes her readers on a powerful journey of healing.

As the phoenix emerges from its ashes, Zebian emerges ablaze in these pages, not only as a survivor of abuse, but as a teacher and healer for all those who have struggled to understand, reclaim, and rise above a history of pain. The book is divided into six chapt
Published March 5th 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sparks of Phoenix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sparks of Phoenix

Vani
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
You lit my soul
on fire
and told me
to watch it burn.

There's a lot of good here. The poems are varying and in different formats which is always nice. The theme of the phoenix and rising from the ashes is nice, if maybe a bit overdone. Any woman discussing her abuse in a candid way is to be celebrated, and I commend Zebian for writing this.

I did see two problems that I see in nearly every modern poetry collection: filler and general repetitiveness. I count filler as platitudes disguised as poems.
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
ARC kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sparks of Phoenix uplifted my spirit. The poems centered on recovering and learning from pain and downfalls. Just like a Phoenix, we rise up, healed from the scars and continue our journey. Najwa Zebian's words soothes my heart and soul. I'm excited for her next collection.
Justine
Najwa Zebian has crafted good and great works are in here: works that one would read as their own. A voice to uplift the reader; that would more encourage and inspire to healing, acceptance, from the pain, walking through it. Not overnight. But through stages that Zebian will walk you through. It is honest and it strongly reflects on Sparks of Phonix’s contents.

She had managed to divide it into a series of stages– cleverly created from the burning past of pain; all learned lessons and accepting
Rebecca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an eARC to review.

I somewhat enjoyed reading this, I took my time with it, and at time I didn't really feel like reading it. I ended up giving this a three out of five stars. I enjoyed lines but I didn't love this collection. I did relate to some of them though.

"My soul has been burning for a while now. Pain has become my new normal."

"It will bother you that they can be so heartless when they are the ones at fault. But remember, At least you have a he
Munaza Tariq
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

"You hit me with your pain,
and I turn it into poetry"

Words have power, and Najwa Zebian has shown us this through poetry.

This was the first poetry book I read by Najwa Zebian, and truthfully I was enticed by the pain hidden beneath the words. She tells a wonderful story of letting go of those that hurt you and finally healing even when it seems impossible.

I loved how the book was divided into chapters, to sho
Tara
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful poetry, the words just speak to you and touch your soul, sometimes hard to read and other times uplifting. A great work and this is the first poetry I’ve read by Najwa but I’ll defintelt be reading more.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Fran (The Ramblebee)
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2019
You can also read this review on my blog.

I only recently read and was rather disenchanted with Amanda Lovelace's the mermaid's voice returns in this one, and if I had to describe Sparks of Phoenix in one sentence, I would say it's what the mermaid's voice is trying to be. Najwa Zebian's writing really spoke to me and my own experiences of emotional abuse, and it made my heart soar more than once.  The powerful theme of remaking yourself in the aftermath of abuse is matched by the autor's powerfu
legenbooksdary
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This poetry book gives off messages of powering up after a shower of pain, of soaring through like a phoenix who is ready to take up on the world by storm, slowly but surely. Though yet again reading of a poetry book that enters around moving on after a heartbreak and a breakup, I couldn't relate to it but it was still interesting to read because it made me feel powerful after putting this book down. Like I could tackle anything that I land my mind on.

There was one specifically poem that the ent
Hanis
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 stars.

I have never read any Najwa Zebian’s masterpieces, and Sparks of Phoenix became the first one. Oh wow, I had a wonderful time reading it! I was so in love – I still am!

Sparks of Phoenix becomes a platform for Najwa to express her thoughts that in my opinion, should be well combined as it will make a great representation of the world and our worldly lives. It does not only focus on loving a partner, it also focuses on women, on how worthy we all are. It focuses on ourselves – we are s
Kirsten Tattersall
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

“I will not live with your guilt.
I will not carry your weight.
It is yours to carry.”

As with all poetry collections that I love, this one made me incredibly emotional. I don’t know why I’m so drawn to poetry collections about women experiencing trauma and healing (let’s not psychoanalyze that), but there’s just something about collections like this that speaks to me. The symbolism of the Phoenix is beautiful and oth
Sura jbara
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Najwa surfs a little further and deeper this time. She displayed to us some stages from turning to ashes till the phoenix starts to soar and heal. She took us with her to a journey full of pain and suffering with a lot of abuse such narcissism and gaslighting from her past lover. Slowly she starts to heal and to recover from past trauma she had experienced.
Sarah Young
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Wanted to love it! Found it clumsy and repetitive. I felt her pain but couldn’t relate to how she was rationalising dealing with it. I follow her on Instagram and often feel like her posts are hit and miss and the same goes for these poems. Some gems in there but some I just couldn’t connect with at all.
Morgan Tariq
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing

"You hit me with your pain,
and I turn it into poetry"

Words have power, and Najwa Zebian has shown us this through poetry.

I loved how the book was divided into chapters, to sho
Cibele Baron
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I do not want anyone to tell me
I am overthinking this.
I just want someone to
love me through this."

With Sparks of Phoenix, Najwa Zebian wanted to help us - just like she helps her students and readers of her other books - to find and make a home within ourselves. To live, love and create.

In this collection of Poems we can follow a story as a person, be it her or a character, grows and go throught the 'Falling', the 'Burning to Ashes', the 'Sparks of Phoenix', 'Rising, Soaring', 'New Chapter'. W
Hira Chaudhary
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

This was my first collection from Najwa, and I absolutely LOVED IT (and will probably need to go devour her others as soon as possible). It was so full of both pain and hope, and so much inspiration. I loved every single poem and the positive message of healing that they all sent <3
Sabrina
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
"You look at me and wonder
how I can be so strong while
I am fighting wars inside.
Some days I win.
Sone days I lose.
But both days, I smile."

Just as beautiful as 'Mind Platter' was :)
ftnrsnn
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Another great book by Najwa Zebian that takes the readers through a powerful journey of healing.
For this book, I’m going to divide my review into two parts:

Writing

When it comes to poetry, my all-time pick will be a straight-forward one.
Like the first book – Mind Platter, this one also is well-written. It comes with short and simple poems and absolutely a page-turner.
I found myself marked a handful of pages throughout this book not because it’s relatable to me but somehow I felt really conne
Sawera Dedar
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
As soon as Sparks Of Phoenix hit the shelves in Liberty, I footed the bill and couldn't wait to get my hands on it because "The Nectar Of Pain" by Najwa Zebian had resonated with me on many levels.

Tbh, this book turned out to be a disappointment. I mean, there are some really good poems too, but I did not buy the book for just a couple of them. Most of the poems were those same cliches about love and heartbreak we've been reading ever since we joined instagram. The style of writing isn't as poet
Aycan
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
 description I just want to breathe, and I am gasping for air, but my lungs feel too small. I guess that is what happens when your lungs enter survival mode- They breathe only as much as they need to stay alive.

description You seek pain as if it's going to save you. You dip into sadness as if it's going to bring you joy. You expect that loving the night will make your days better, and that loving the rain will make the shine brighter. You expect that diving into the ocean will get you to the shore of sanity faster
Jordan Sullivan
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
*ARC kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

I loved this book of poetry. I really was able to connect and empathize with what the author was saying throughout the whole of her works. She incorporates thoughts and feelings of unworthiness and self-doubt throughout the pieces and makes the reader understand how there can be a way to think differently about these topics and possibly overcome your own situation. The only small criticism I would have is that I found it to b
Barbara Claudio
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sparks of Phoenix by Najwa Zebian was truly an authentic experience of raw and intimate emotions from beginning to end. It unveils the deep pain of betrayal, heartache, and feeling left in the dark, while finding the spark of fire that reignites the calling for rising above the ashes and becoming a Phoenix ready to take flight and soar above it all. Her poetry captures the vulnerability, courage and bravery it takes to turn pain into her own true calling. If you enjoy poetry and prose, this poet ...more
Kiran
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There were some exceptional poems, but there were also a few underwhelming poems. I LOVED the emotion and thought Najwa provoked with her poems and I will definitely look out for future poems by her. I hope she continues to delve deeper and perhaps makes some of her shorter poems more lengthy if possible. I think some readers may think some of the poems are too "generic" sounding, because she does use phrases or metaphors that we have seen elsewhere but I think she also offers very original pers ...more
Maggie Chatterton
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sparks of Phoenix by Najwa Zebian is a collection of poetry that follows the process of heartbreak and healing. These poems, while many of written in a style that I personally find distracting, were really rather powerful and moving. Some I'd connected to, while others I didn't.

I am free
not because
you let me go.
I am free because
I let you go.
And set myself free.

That poem in particular I found rather impactful and spoke to me in levels.
Glory Dey
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Heart-Touching Inspirational Book. Delves Deeply Into The Emotional Psychology Of Abuse And Pain, The Trauma That A Person Undergoes, And Awakens Hope And Understanding To Overcome The Shame And Guilt Of Such Painful Experiences, And Find New Desire To Love And Live Life With Dignity! A Powerful Book On Spiritual Healing!
Samantha Mielke
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved parts of this collection a lot, but there were a few parts that didn't really resonate with me which is the only reason for my 4/5 stars. Great collection overall with great poems regarding hurt and healing 💞
Adrianne
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book contains so much strength and encouragement. There were very few poems in here that I did not relate to. Just about every word felt like it came from my own heart and mind. I look forward to reading more of Najwa’s work as this was my first.
Heather
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first poetry book I picked up this year. I liked it, and there were a few pages that grabbed my attention because it was so creatively written.

Some of the poetries moved me, but it didn’t unbalance my world.
Len Shields
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful, quick read poetry book. All about love and heartbreak.
Chelsey
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She does it again. Always speaking to my soul in ways I can’t explain ❤ ...more
Sujatha
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book
Najwa Zebian is a Lebanese-Canadian author, speaker, and educator. Her passion for language was evident from a young age, as she delved into Arabic poetry and novels.

The search for a home—what Najwa describes as a place where the soul and heart feel at peace—was central to her early years. When she arrived in Canada at the age of sixteen, she felt unstable and adrift in an unfamiliar place.

Never