Start by marking “You Are Here” as Want to Read:

You Are Here

Growth and change—two powerful anthems resonate throughout this collection of poetry and prose that will leave you feeling emboldened and empowered.

You Are Here is Dawn Lanuza’s newest collection of contemporary poetry that lends itself to the idea of giving ourselves second chances. These self-healing poems and words draw on central themes of self-love, self-discovery, an
Published February 12th 2019 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about You Are Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are Here

[Shai] Bibliophage
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I was reading this latest book of Dawn Lanuza, in the back of my mind, I thought that several of the poems and prose are really meant for me because of how I could easily relate myself to them. I felt that this anthology was written or dedicated to me by the author because I could connect to over half of the content. There are a lot of notable and relatable poems included in this collection, and I know that a lot of women, especially those who have the same age as I am, will love this seco ...more
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
ARC kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

You Are Here is a poetry collection about relationships, love, vulnerability and self-reflection. Majority of the poems are well-structed, melancholic and heartfelt. The ones I can relate to are The Art of Eating Alone (precisely me), Grow and A Message.

Final rating: 3.5/5 stars
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
No rating because I think this will be great for a lot of people, but this writing just isn't doing anything for me. I got about halfway through before giving up.
Emma
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it

This collection of poems is just okay. The themes this book deals with are current ones such as finding the right person and not settling if you don’t want to, even if society is urging you to do it. It also talks about our body image compared to society unrealistic standards and chronic pain.
There's also a section dedicated to lost/ended love.
Among all the poems not a lot of them stood out to me
Justine
You Are Here is my second Dawn Lanuza poetry book, I have read How It Starts as my very first read. At some point in the book, I thought that some felt really familiar. True enough those works were already featured in from How It Starts.

You Are Here is a collection that deals with love; in partner, self, opening up, accepting and getting used to being a grown-up, as we Millenials call it adulting.

I find the introduction, not for my liking but as I go through the middle and last pages I find the
Dana Cristiana
First, I'd like to thank NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for this gorgeous poetry collection.

This is the second poetry collection written by Dawn Lanuza. And I have to say that some of them resonated with my so much.
Growth and change were the main subjects in this collection. And this was exactly what I needed right now.

Now, there was a thing that I didn't quite understood. There was a blank page after every poetry, but despite the fact they each had a title, there were some who didn't.
Princess
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was first attracted to this book by its pretty cover. I was so glad to see it’s written by Dawn Lanuza, because I’ve been wanting to read her works for some time now.

This collection of modern poetry is meant to be read slowly and savored. These are little vignettes reflecting on love and loss. It can be heartwarming at one moment and heartbreaking the next. It’s all about healing and letting go. I also felt like a trusted friend is talking to me. I was comforted by the messages of body positi
Feb 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
An ARC ebook copy of this book was provided by Andrews McMeel Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

There is no easy way to say this: Your Are Here is not for me. I tried, I sticked to it until the very ending, and I just couldn't swallow it. However, there are good points to it: it is a short and fast paced read (I read it in a sitting), and there is some wisdom and nice sentences in there.

Nevertheless, I felt that the book heavily needed editing. A lot of editing. There we
Dora Okeyo
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't wait to read this book and as soon as I got an eARC off Netgalley and read those first lines, I knew I would enjoy it. This is a collection of poems that explore, love, self-love, relationships and awareness. There are an array of poems that explore feelings of joy, uncertainty, fear, love, loss, hope -and the fragility of life. Some of my favorite poems are "Only if you must," "Staying is your choice," and "The tale of the girl."
Love the simple black and white illustrations at the b
Andreia Rosa
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5*
Kimmy
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read a few poetry books this year that I didn't enjoy. And I can say that this book is one of my great reads this 2018. What makes it great is that it captured my emotions on what went through and is currently what I'm going through. It talks about relationships, heartbreaks, self-healing, self-love, self-discovery, etc. It is quite empowering in some ways, and I really felt that. Her poems are all easy to read and understand, and not at all trying-hard.

You Are Here is a great book that I
Amy Layton
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems
This collection of poems only grew stronger the more I read it.  These are highly relatable poems about heartbreak and loss and healing and depression.  Many of these poems are empathetic, and some are extremely, extremely poignant.  Lanuza understands what it's like to sleep too much, to sleep not enough, to grasp for control and comfort and affection and not obtain it.

My favorite poems from this collection include "Plans," "A Silent Prayer," "Honey Sweet," and my absolute favorite, "Off With
Jennie Schutt
Jan 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
This would be a book that I would maybe recommend to older high school students, not something I would suggest for younger students. I think I read this collection of poetry in a time that this book really hit home. I have a feeling this will be a book that I pick up as a physical book once it is released and pick it up whenever I need to feel like I am not alone.
I only recently started reading poetry, and there have been some poems and poem collections that I have read that I just do not under
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
Being more than 200 pages long, this collection of poetry was a way shorter read than I expected. I was just flying through the pages, and while I didn't dislike what I saw, I can't say these poems had a huge impression on me. I don't say they were bad, I don't say they didn't deal with things people go through, but they felt a bit juvenile for my taste. I actually think I would've appreciated this book more back in the middle of my teenage years. Now, in the middle of my twenties, it's not for ...more
Alyssa Marie
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-poetry
And the first read of the year is a DNF, how fun.

DNF at 191

I really wanted to like this. I read dawns previous book last year and felt super disappointed but I know that sometimes you have to be in the right mood for certain poetry (or poetry in general), so I gave this book a try. And sure there were some okay poems that I didn’t dislike, but nothing blew me away. Nothing touched me or spoke to me. The way she writes just doesn’t work for me. I just don’t ever fully connect with it. So I think
Genevieve Trono
Dec 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Lanuza is a talented writer and I enjoyed her ability to share her feelings in such an artistic and thoughtful way. She shared deeply powerful messages in poetry format and although there was a lot of sadness there was also a lot of self-love and hope. This book covered a wide array of issues including rocky past relationships, loss, body image and suicide ideations which may be triggering for some.

Thank you to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel Publishing for giving me an opportunity to read this. A
Kirsten Tattersall
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, read-in-2018, poetry
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

"These lives we could have lived?
Let us live them."

The first section of You Are Here has a deep longing sadness running through every word that transitions into a sort of melancholy healing in the second and third sections. This book explores self-love and relationships with very elegant writing.
McKinlay Dennis
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
*I received this from netgalley and publisher, this does not affect my review.*

I get that I'm a jaded kind of gal, but there was so much good here with feminist statements and chronic pain talk, but it focused way too much on the love of a man. *barf* I would definitely read more from this author, but sadly this collection wasn't for me.
Jypsy
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
You Are Here is a poetry collection. I did enjoy reading these, but I'm more a fan of poetry of the natural world. If this is your favorite type of poetry you should enjoy this collection. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Jeanne
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
You Are Here was a good read.

My partner and I recently broke up and some of the poems were definitely relatable. It was really heartbreaking, sad, but at the same time, it reminds me of how much I love him despite what happened.

I loved that this collection promotes self-love/self-care cause that's what I'm doing now, focusing on my self -- healing.

One of my favorites is "staying is your choice".

I received a copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sofia (Bookish Wanderess)
*3,5 stars*
Jasmine
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-ebooks
3.5/5

It's described as a collection about self-healing and giving ourselves second chances. Although I can definitely see the latter as a running theme throughout the poetry, I was really hoping for more about the self-healing aspect. That's not to say this wasn't a good collection - you can definitely see the raw emotion and experiences as an undercurrent to Lanuza's poetry, and it makes for many wonderful pieces which I did enjoy.
Jen Solak
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the poetry book for every college broken heart. It made me remember those feelings so clearly, and the message of moving forward was well aimed.
Michelle M.
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Received an ARC of You Are Here by Dawn Lanuza from Netgalley and Andrews Publishing

A full review will be published near publication date.

Rebecca L.
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish that I would have had this book years ago when I was in college. Lanuza’s direct and lovely lines speak right to the heart. Her words remind me of the lyrics to a song and many of these poems would work well as song lyrics.

I signed up to receive a free advanced reader copy of this book from Net Galley because I am particularly interested in the work of female poets, especially if they are of minority descent. This was my first time reading any of Lanuza’s work and I will say that I was no
Nicole Field
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, poetry
Wow, goodness. I knew this would be good after I read and loved The Last Time I'll Write About You. This book doesn't have a content warning, but I'll list some of the things that I noticed in any case:

Mental health issues
Eating disorder references
Suicidal ideation
Rocky past relationships

These themes are common enough in contemporary feminist poetry, and specifically common to Dawn's body of work, but I think there is a clear development of skill in writing craft between this and the last thing
Amy - bookish_heights
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, poetry, netgalley
Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher for a chance to read this novel!

"I know I said I know all about wanting. But I don't know a thing about having."

Themes: self-love, failed relationships, self-discovery, love, mental health and second chances.

Favourite poems: How to love in the dark, true nightmare, breaking waves, roller coaster, maps, citizen, doomsday prepper, stop over, projection, a plea,

First off, I want to say how stunning the cover is, it's what instantly drew me into this book and
Shirley Cuypers
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Original review

This book was provided by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Andrews McMeel Publishing and Netgalley!

And the boy who wanted her to stay
was one of the first ones who went away

You Are Here is a beautiful poetry collection about love, relationships, self-reflection, … This is the second poetry collection I’ve read by Dawn Lanuza.

You’re the only one missing out,
not them.

I think that You Are Here is such a good poetry collection and I reall
leo (in bookverse)
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
RATING: 5 STARS

REVIEW:

A very huge thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for making this ready to download. I never thought I needed this until I read it.

For me, the main topic of this poem compilation is about loving oneself despite the bad things that happened or are happening.

At first, the contents were just fine, but it didn’t take long for me to start highlighting lines and then I just couldn’t stop. It even inspired me to get back at writing poems.

Dawn Lanuza is a very talented writer w
Michelle Kidwell
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it

by Dawn Lanuza
Andrews McMeel Publishing
Poetry
Pub Date 12 Feb 2019

I am reviewing a copy of You Are Here through Andrews McMeel Publishing and Netgalley:

This book deals with two intertwined themes growth and change. The poems and prose in this book remind us too that it is important that we give ourselves second chances.

The poems and prose in this collection are self healing poems that draw on the central themes of loving oneself as well as self discovery and empowerment. In order to
« previous 1 3 next »
Dawn Lanuza writes contemporary romance, young adult fiction and prose poetry. She has two first loves – music and writing – and is lucky enough to surround herself with them. She currently lives with her family and a very loved cream toy poodle.

She sometimes blogs at dawnlanuza.com.
“the tale of the girl

They told the young girl,
“Be hasty, be wise.
Choose a man who’d give you
your best life.”
The young girl grew
into a woman
so now they tell her:
“Be careful, be smart.
You can’t afford to refuse
another heart.”
When did the story change?
Why do we flip the script when women age?”
0 likes