Start by marking “Ink and Ivy” as Want to Read:
Ink and Ivy

Ink and Ivy

Good girl Ivy Beckett has her life mapped out in a neat checklist: Graduate high school, study law at a top university, secure a lucrative career. So far everything’s going to plan, so why does her future leave her feeling vaguely nauseous?

When an autumn storm sends the seventeen-year-old running for cover inside an old antique store, Ivy is transported to anot
Published 2018 by Westwell Press

To ask other readers questions about Ink and Ivy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ink and Ivy

Bren
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of books about making choices and fans of books about Writers and artists.
Antiques, gorgeous furnishings, art and lovely, almost mystical writing. I am lost in this book.

This book is luscious. For readers that are very visual..who like beautifully artful prose with writing so vivid you can see the places and faces right in front of you..this is your book.

So this is a beautiful coming of age story that really underscores how important it is to do what you love..and to conform to your own expectations only rather than society's and other people's
Karen • The Book Return
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this review and more on my blog.The Book Return Blog
*I received this book for free from the Author (via YA Books Central) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Read this review and more on my blog.The Book Return Blog

Ink & Ivy is a timely story about a girl struggling to figure out what to do with the rest of her life. As the story opens, Ivy is riding her bike when a downpour hits. She runs into a shop and meets an eccentric shop owner and her nephew Julian. Ivy's picture of her perfect career soon begins to unravel and her dreams along with it.

The cover got me on this one. Simply amazing!

Ink & Ivy has a unique but important theme. Teenagers must often choose their careers while still in high school and they do not know themselves well enough to do so.

The love of writing is described perfectly throughout the novel. I love how those close to Ivy (but outside her family) were so supportive of Ivy.

Ivy's slow burn romance with Julian was really sweet and a great teen love story.

I love a good story within a story. I loved the whole dialog of Ivy's English teacher being a mysterious author.

This is the second book I've read in the last few months that takes place in New Zealand. It's sounds enchanting and a great setting for a book.

The elephant in the room in 'Ink & Ivy' is what jerks Ivy's parent's are to her. They didn't support what Ivy wanted and tried forcing her into a career that she clearly did not want. They were even cruel and manipulative about it. Her father was much less of a jerk then her mother. It seemed that Ivy's dad just did whatever his wife wanted but it would have been nice to see him stand up for himself and Ivy for once. This kind of parental attitude is all too common, unfortunately.

My favorite part of the story is Ivy's visit to her grandparents house. I loved the imagery of the lodge and the grounds. I loved Ivy's grandparents and they were definitely a bright side to the story.

I enjoyed Ivy's story. The story didn't have anything dramatic or earth shattering about it but it was a nice slice of life story.

I am glad Ivy has a somewhat happy ending to her story. Although the story didn't wrap everything up completely, it did give me a satisfactory ending.

This review was originally posted on The Book return...

Cora
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the language used, the descriptive words and metaphors were brilliant. I loved seeing all the different stages of Ivy, as she went from unsure child, to motivated adult. I love the characters she met along the way, and the self-discoveries.
I do have a bit of an issue with the flow of the story. It read like a very staccato piece of music. The punctuation and story/character developments were very abruptly changed from one to the next. This unfortunately did slow down my reading speed, b
Tiffany Jones
Good girl , Ivy Beckett, has had her life mapped out for her for some time. She’s going to graduate high school, get a law degree from a top university, and find a lucrative job. Everything seems to be going according to plan, but, if that’s the case, why does thinking about her future make her feel nauseous? Why is she dreading what comes next? But, a new world is opened to Ivy, one night when an autumn storm forces her to seek refuge in an old antique shop. She discovers a world inhabited by P ...more
Anneliese
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
3.5/5 stars

I was initially drawn into this book because of the cover. I know the old adage is you can't judge a book by its cover, but this cover is so gorgeous that I had to read it. The story is about an 18 year old named Ivy who is about to finish high school. It's a coming of age story and throughout the story she must decide what she wants for her future. There were a lot of things that I enjoyed about th
Nicole Vanadia Davis
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Absolutely amazing. I loved every second of this story. It was both poignant and uplifting. The ending didn't disappoint and provided just enough closure to complete the story. I really connected with the main character and felt sadness and joy as I watched her grow and figure out what she really wanted from her life and relationships. Unfortunately, the opinion of "the arts" in the book mimics real life. I hate how ...more
Michele Hossack
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Cover art is outstanding for this book!

Sara Martin captures the overwhelming experience of trying to plan out your entire future during the last year of high school. The stresses of finding out what you want, blended with the advise and pressure from those around you telling you what you need. Add to that, a budding romance, and you have a nice story about trying to find your own path in life.

The story is a bit choppy, and was lacking some of the depth I was hoping for. Due in part
Elissa Mahler
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was blessed with a free copy of this book, and I have chosen of my own volition to share my review with you!

A young lady is faced with many of the same decisions we all faced while growing up. She is in her final year of high school, and she has to make college-based decisions. Will she follow her heart, or will she follow her parents ideals for her future? How can she align the two?

This book presented many of the decision a young person will face, but it refrained from sexuality and vulgari
Olena
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
First off, I have to mention the cover art. It's absolutely gorgeous and definitely draws the reader in (it sure as hell drew me in). I think I spent a solid 5 minutes just admiring how pretty it is lol...

As for the book, it's a coming-of-age story that people of all ages can relate to. Those in high school will have barely any issues connecting with Ivy, the main character, as she debates what she wants to do with the rest of her life. Anyone who's had doubts about their future will find in Iv
Destiny Bridwell
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review.  I love the word usage in this book. I love the characters Ivy and Julian. This book gave me such a creative vibe. The story between to of them is amazing and it a wonderful coming of age story. I love the New Zealand vibe that it has. If you are wondering why I said that I think it is because that is where the author is from. This is her debut novel and it is an amazing read. I am trying not to give anything way for this way a fun an ...more
Kat
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It was beautifully written, and tickled at some emotions inside of me. There was a slight melancholy feel to the book overall. The book is about a teenage girl who doesn't quite know what she wants to do after high school. Through accidents and new people she meets, in time she finds her passion and goes for it, despite disapproval from her parents. I think this book will ring true for many teens out there!
Janet Graham
Coming of Age in New Zealand
This is a wonderful and clean, coming of age romance. It is filled with art and angst. The plot is basic with no surprises. The characters are realistic, but not too deep. The story is told very well. I loved that in all of the various characters, there was no substance abuse, no criminal behavior, no real vices. Very nice surprise in a genre ripe with all of that. I received this ARC book for free and voluntarily chose to post my honest review .

Tanya
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
She has always been a good girl and she had all her life mapped out. Things change when she needs to shelter in an antique shop where all her plans may go out The window. She meets some new people and they give her a new idea to do with her life. What will she choose? Which is the best for her? See what she will do

Donamarie Goldsmith
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Where is the rest of the story?
It took me a little while to get into this book, but by the end, I was waiting for more. I sure hope this is the start of a series. I fell in love with Ivy and Julian. There is not a cliff ending, but there is definitely more to this story. Would love to see how their relationship turns out.
Christine
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a beautiful story of choices and expectations and living a meaningful life. I truly enjoyed it!

Jessie  Shepps
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this story. I love how the chemistry between Julian and Ivy. I love how well the author describes the struggle Ivy has of finding herself. It was a good book.
HELEN COLE
Aug 24, 2018
A E Ainsworth
Mar 27, 2019
Mrs G Richards
rated it did not like it
Oct 02, 2019