Start by marking “Practitioners” as Want to Read:
Practitioners

Practitioners

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  56 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Dreams aren’t just for the sleeping.

After the murder of his wife, Officer Henry Stapleton struggles to move on. He begins experiencing nightmares that seem more like reality. Far beyond simple grieving. Looking for answers, he visits a mysterious new healing center, owned by real estate mogul Paul White. There’s just one problem. The man doesn’t exist. Though his name
Published July 16th 2018 by Bloodshot Books

To ask other readers questions about Practitioners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practitioners

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Practitioners
Dan Schwent
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, 2018-books
Recovering from the death of his wife, Officer Henry Stapleton is on a downward spiral of booze. His wife's killer winds up dead, or does he? Henry visits a New Age healing center and starts experimenting with lucid dreaming. But what will he do when he discovers the machinations of a man who may not exist?

I follow Patrick Lacey on Twitter and I was all over this one as soon as I saw the cover.

The story feels more like a detective story than anything else a lot of the time. Henry Stapleton,
Michael Hicks
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Authors Matt Hayward and Patrick Lacey inject fresh life and more than a few sparks of originality into some familiar and well-worn tropes in Practitioners from Bloodshot Books, genre-hopping with apparent ease to flesh out a novel that feels like a dream come true.

On the trope side of things, we have police officer, Henry Stapleton, who is reeling from the death of his wife and is fueled by revenge. Thankfully, Hayward and Lacey upend our familiarity with such a heavily trod character almost
Kenneth McKinley
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, own-kindle
I've been noticing more and more collaboration novels in the horror genre lately. I've always been curious as to how two different authors can concoct a story together and keep everything seemlessly cohesive. Matt Hayward and Patrick Lacey are able to do just that in Practitioners. You really can't tell who wrote what. The tone, pacing, characters and delivery are evenly matched. So kudos to them for being able to utilize the age-old saying, "Two heads are better than one."

Practitioners uses
Glenn Rolfe
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This collaboration between two of my favorite newer horror authors, Patrick Lacey and Matt Hayward, is awesome! PRACTITIONERS is like a grown ups version of Nightmare on Elm Street. I know Lacey is a massive Wes Craven fan, and in the book, his love for Craven's work bleeds through in all the right ways.

Near the front of the book, I picked up on elements of Craven's SHOCKER, while the dream world and the fact that main characters, Henry and George, wind up being dream warriors of sorts, a la
Shane Keene
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the next edition of what the fuck did I just read: This book owned me, cover to cover. A cosmic horror story on a level I've rarely read before, seeing both Hayward and Lacey both at the current pinnacles of their respective careers. If you want monsters, mayhem, and bloody terror, you'll find it here in spades.
Emily
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Tread lightly...You're dealing with something... unnatural."

Practitioners is a new horror novel from Matt Hayward & Patrick Lacey. This is the first I've read from both of them, and this was a pretty good introduction! This book doesn't feel like a collaboration, and their combined writing is pretty seamless. They did a great job.

If you enjoy "dream horror" like The Wicked Ones, Glimpse, or NOS4A2, I definitely recommend picking this one up. I do have to say that I got confused about what
The Grim Reader
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
When two authors rub shoulders together and decide to write a novel, it can either be a huge success or a complete disaster. Thankfully, Matt Hayward and Patrick Lacey drink from the same cup, or so it seems. Practitioners is a seamless read. Both authors show equal skill in awakening the reader to the horrors of Bellview, it’s demon antagonist, Paul White and his army of sleepers.

I read a lot of horror books, make that a hell of a lot of horror books. I’m forever in search of something a little
Cameron Chaney
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, adult, horror
A fantastically unique horror story! You can see my video review HERE.
Trisha Leslie
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Whodunnit crime, mystery, intrigue and horror.... Thought I had it figured out, but it keeps on giving! Highly recommend
Brian Steele
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, mystery
A damaged cop discovers the new age center may be a front for something sinister in this cosmic horror noir novel. Lucid dreaming, dimensional portals, murderous cults, nightmarish monsters, and loads of bullets fill the tale. A little slow in the beginning, once it picks up, the authors take you on a lunatic, gore-splattered ride.
Brandon
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on my blog http://undivineinterventions.blogspot...

Practitioners. I'd been extremely excited to read this one since it had been announced. Patrick Lacey and Matt Hayward are two of my favorite authors putting out books today, both of which put out novels last year that made my "best of 2017" list.

Those novels, We Came Back and What Do Monsters Fear, are both highly recommended and if you haven't read those, you're missing out. Stop missing out and go buy a copy of each. Ten of
Jim Coniglio
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is always that moment of trepidation when you go into a book that is written by two authors. Sometimes it can just go so horribly wrong. Luckily this is not one of those times.

Matt Hayward (Brain Dead Blues, What Do Monsters Fear?) and Patrick Lacey (Dream Woods, Bone Saw) work off each other beautifully to craft a very cohesive and well thought out story. The authors have melded their individual styles seamlessly.

Henry Stapleton is a police officer grieving the loss of his wife. Plagued
Melanie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hmmm. This is a tricky one to review, maybe because it was a group-read and I have a lot of respect for the author for taking the time to talk to us humble readers about his work, and risking not having some of us enjoy it and hearing about it! Anyway, my thoughts....

The Good Bits
The idea of another world, an alternate reality or something layered over the top of ours has always intrigued me, and I thought they pulled this off really well (think Stranger Things ). There were some very creepy,
Baker St Shelves
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The use of dreams in horror has a very long history, since you can get creative with the nightmare visuals. Here we have a beat cop named Henry, who is depressed after the brutal murder of his wife. As such, he’s experiencing weird dreams even when he’s awake. He checks himself into a clinic to learn lucid dreaming and to learn what’s controlling the dreams of the city.
Right off the bat, I love Henry and his partner, George. They’re written as relatable flawed people in a bizarre situation. I
nick
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another grate suggestion by Cameron & I couldn't make a better review myself so I will link his https://youtu.be/HcXs8yEX9fI
or
whichever works.
The Scary Reviews
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Heck of a good book. The characters and plot were great. I dug it from start to finish.
R.J. Roles
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hayward and lacey are doing the lords work, whether working in a collaboration or writing solo. This book deals with some heavy subject matter and will leave you drained by the end. Highly recommend!
Sam
Really more of a 2.5 star read for me...

I had really high hopes for this one. I'd heard tons of great things, the cover was GORGEOUS (I know, I know, I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I do!), and the premise definitely sounded like it would be up my alley. Unfortunately despite the interesting premise, a lot of things in this novel fell flat for me.

Henry is a career cop, the widower of his town's first murder victim in decades. After shooting his wife's killer, he begins having
David Murphy
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Please note this is a review of an advanced copy provided to me by the authors.
This is a review I had to think long and hard about because I don't know what to say to really do this book justice. This is a collaboration between two authors with very different writing styles, but swap between the two in this novel is seamless and you couldn't tell on writer from the other, it's as if written by just one person.

The actual story itself is incredible and unique. The characters are well written,
Valerie
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first story I have read from either author, and it won’t be my last!! This is a fantastic story! It has great characters, creatures from another dimension, gore, horror, loss, helplessness, friendship, and a hero! What more could you want...oh, and I noticed some familiar names used for some of the characters!! Great story!!
Cedar Hollow Horror Reviews
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin with this one? This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2018. Matt Hayward and Patrick Lacey have bright futures ahead of them in the horror genre. They work great together if this book is any indication. I think this collaboration has made both authors stronger in terms of style and prose. Both authors have a few books under their belts and it shows.

PRACTITIONERS is a book that spans genres. It's definitely horror, but it's also a gritty neo-noir. It could also be considered
Tim
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Practitioners is a short novel written by two excellent young authors who have made this collaboration feel like a complete whole. At no point did the novel feel like two people had written it. This was very well done. This novel also is not tied to one genre but easily incorporates horror, fantasy and mystery in one seamless package. The characters in this book were well created and I was definitely invested in their lives and struggle. There are monsters in this book and they were well ...more
Jesse Bollinger
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a very good book with some down right creepy images. I really identified with Henry and would definitely enjoy more stories in this world.
Tim Meyer
Jul 21, 2018
Ienjoyhorror
May 01, 2019

• Welcome to the Show
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • The Switch House
  • Kill Hill Carnage
  • CHAINSAW.
  • The Same Deep Water as You
  • The Beast of Brenton Woods
Matt Hayward is a Bram Stoker Award-nominated author and musician from Wicklow, Ireland. His books include Brain Dead Blues, What Do Monsters Fear?, Practitioners (with Patrick Lacey), The Faithful, and A Penny For Your Thoughts (with Robert Ford). He compiled the award-winning anthology Welcome To The Show and wrote the comic book This Is How It Ends (now a music video) for the band Walking ...more