Start by marking “29 Dates” as Want to Read:
29 Dates

29 Dates

(29 #1)

How many dates will it take to find The One?

Jisu’s traditional South Korean parents are concerned by what they see as her lack of attention to her schoolwork and her future. Working with Seoul’s premiere matchmaker to find the right boyfriend is one step toward ensuring Jisu’s success, and going on the recommended dates is Jisu’s compromise to please her parents while find
Published December 18th 2018 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about 29 Dates, please sign up.
cait It's so clean that it's boring.…moreIt's so clean that it's boring.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
cait Dave was dating a white girl but eventually broke up with her because he was emotionally cheating with Jisu anyway.

Start your review of 29 Dates
Jessica
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the publisher (Inkyard Press) in exchange for an honest review.

I give this book 4.5 stars which rounds up to 5.

This book doesn’t get the greatest reviews but I tend to rate books based on what they are. This was a YA romantic comedy and I thought it was a super cute one!

In the beginning it slightly reminded me of Melissa de la Cruz’s middle grade series, The Ashleys (which I read way back in middle school), because it had a slightly materialistic vibe and was
Safiya
Dec 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have one question: why was it necessary for a non-Korean to write about a Korean and criticize Korean culture while she's at it? According to the author's note, the author is Filipino-American, learned about seons from a Korean friend, and dedicated this book to her Korean sister-in-law. The author states that seons typically take place during or post-college, but she says in the author's note, "as an author of fiction, I've taken some liberties with this practice."

You cannot take "liberties"
Sarah ♡
Jan 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Sigh. Alright, this did not get a one-star rating because I'm a salty Korean American (I am) who gives bad ratings to non-Korean authors who write inaccurate/unrealistic Korean characters (I do). This got a one-star because for a contemporary romance there was no romance between the main character, Jisu, and her love interest. None. Zilch! Nada! It literally went from zero to one hundred.

Okay, if I'm being nice it went from like zero, to like ten, and then to a hundred. Jisu goes on seons and h
Cristina
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was really cute! 😍
I loved the characters, the dates were interesting because they had nothing in common - each date had a different topic - and I guessed who the 29 date was!!! ❤️
I’m so glad that everything turned out to be perfect for Jisu! 🙏
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

Trigger warning: None till the point I read.

I received this E-ARC via Inkyard Press and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I liked the synopsis for this book. And decided to request it. Unfortunately I didn’t like it.

I did not like the main character at all. I felt that she was a bit too judgmental. The writing style didn’t help either. It was jarring which made it difficult to read.

Overall this wasn’t for me. Still recommend.
Vicky Again
this book took me THREE MONTHS to read I am so glad it's over ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, arcs, ya, diverse
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Jisu was devastated, when her parents shipped her off to San Francisco in hopes that she could perform better in an American school, but they may have given her the greatest gift, since her new environment did yield some stellar results.

• Pro: Jisu was easy to like and root for. My heart broke, when her whole life was uprooted, but I admired the way she took it in stride, and also commended her on fulfilling her filial duties. Beside being under the standard pressure to get into
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
I was intrigued when I first saw 29 Dates by Melissa de la Cruz since I don’t know much about Korean culture, and the story sounded super cute. It tells the story of a girl who goes on dates set up by a matchmaker, and I loved reading about each of her 29 dates. The main character is also enjoyable, and I would say that this is the perfect pick-me-up.

Full Review on The Candid Cover
Norah Una Sumner
not sure how to rate this one but one thing is certain - dave is a sweetie and deserves all the hugs (as well as his family)
Cindy ✩☽♔
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Rating ~2.5

Man I really wanted to love this book. Because I want to support books that have minorities in lead roles. But it just never clicked with me. Most of the book felt like a hollowed out K-drama with all the ridiculous family dynamics, but none of the heart.

It often felt too rushed and too easy, rather than authentic. The book was a light, quick read, but it was very predictable. I wouldn’t say it’s a bad book, but it isn’t particularly good either.

*More detailed review to come*
Courtney ♡ librarycutie
alright so, i had a lot of problems with this book, but it ended in a really cute and cheesy way so that’s why it’s bumped to 3 stars.

first, it was a whole lot of cringe! i think the idea behind it was cute, but i didn’t like that it was told in this way. i went into this story expecting a really cute contemporary that would flow really nicely because Melissa De La Cruz is a popular author, but this is my first book i’ve read by her and... i’m not impressed. the main character was very annoying
Kris Mauna
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think Melissa de la Cruz is a fantastic author who has done wonderful things to bring more diverse books to teens.. But I'm not sure how I feel of her writing a Korean (not even Korean-American) MC with a detailed Korean background. I'm not Korean so I can't speak on how well of a representation this book was so I'm not going to. A lot of moments did feel a bit jarring for me as a reader, though. It was like watching a kdrama but without the heart and love poured into the story.
(One of the cha
Alice (Married To Books)
I picked up 29 Dates on a whim since I was seeking a fun YA Contemporary read for the summer months. It is inspired by K-Dramas and follows Jisu who lives in Korea with her family. Her parents want her to get the best grades and also sign her up for a matchmaker service to try and find her the right person to date. However, after flunking one too many tests, she finds herself transported over to San Francisco in a new school, away from her close Korean friends and still having to go on dates. I ...more
Amy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-netgalley
***3-3.5 stars ***

I'm such a sucker for YA novels that I hope I never lose touch with them. They take me back in time; I always enjoy them and feel that I can relate to the story.
Melissa de la Cruz has been one of my favorite YA authors, specifically her Blue Bloods series.
29 Dates did not disappoint. Jisu, a girl from South Korea is sent by her family to San Francisco to complete her senior year of high school. In Korean culture, seons are arranged dates to help matchmaking within their cultu
Mehsi
First up, thanks to Hebban.nl for giving me a copy of the book so I could participate in the Reading Club for this book!

I have been meaning to read this book for some time so imagine my delight when there was a Reading Club coming up for this book and that they had a contest to select members. Then imagine my further delight when I was selected! Eep!

So this book was just a delight to read. Korea, friendship, strict parents, dates (so so many dates), moving to America for a school year, photograp
Lost in Book Land
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have such grand reading plans over my break, I literally can not wait! However, I recently (last night) finished reading 29 Dates by Melissa De La Cruz, now I first want to apologize because this book should not have taken me this long to read but work has been taking up way too much of my time lately and whenever I go to read anything I just end up falling asleep. However, I finally have things set up for a while with work and now I am free to read at night again!

SPOILERS AHEAD

In this book, w
Luna
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sooo what was this book even about? Like I understand the blurb, but when I got to the book I was greeted with a very bland, plotless, pointless book. Let's start with the plot.

Where was the plot? This book progressed but there was no clear plot in sight, I didn't feel any big conflict or resolution as the book just felt like a threadbare patchwork quilt of writing. Another gripe I had was that the author seemed to be attempting to ride from the point of view of a teenager, but as a teen, I can
Cassie | Lost In Tomes
Feb 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This was just the kind of predictable romance I like to listen to while I am working. Fun enough to keep my interest but basic enough that I can get away with doing other tasks while I'm listening. I was very pleased with the Korean representation especially considering that the author is of a different ethnicity and that doesn't always work out well. You can tell she did her homework and I appreciate it.

Definitely sits on the younger end of YA - there's a scene I don't want to forget where some
Zan
Jan 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
uhh I think a cultural and rom-com flop just about sums this one up
Sam! at the bookstore
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Rating: 4 stars

What a fun little novel! It was a super easy read, but I loved Jisu as a character and I adored the romance. The concept made this a great book, even if the writing felt juvenile a lot of the time.

Recommended for a fun, light read! Especially for seniors currently applying to colleges.
Blodeuedd Finland
Jisu is about to start her last year of HS when her parents sent her to San Francisco. There she will focus on school, get great grades and get into a great College. I must say that school in Seoul sounds horrible, Jisu thinks so too. And at the same time she wants those good grades because that is what ger parents want. As for her parents, evil! They just said pack your bags, you are leaving tonight!

But San Francisco is great for her. She gets to be more on her own. She finds new friends, she
Ms. Woc Reader
Jan 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
I wanted to love this book. Years ago I read Melissa de la Cruz's Fresh off the Boat and loved it. I've been waiting for her to write another book with an Asian protagonist that measures up since. Sadly the vast majority of the leads in her novels are white. But that's an entirely different discussion for another time.

I was so happy when Netgalley approved me for an arc of 29 Dates. Finally a teen book featuring an Asian girl and a fully Asian one not a half white one chasing white boys. Two po
Hanis
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
[Short Review] 29 Dates is my 14th book this year, and I picked it up in an attempt to get out of my reading slump season. Perhaps reading something light and fluffy could bring my reading spirits up, and I was correct. I do feel like reading again now after reading this book!

I got this book with zero expectations and mixed reviews that I got from all social media platforms. Goodreads becomes the main platform that I rely on, and I scrolled through mixed reviews regarding this book. Some people
Lee
Mar 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
Alright this book... was just a mess. There is no other way to describe it. Just a mess that I would have DNF if I wasn't desperate for audiobooks.

Ji-su's parents become concerned when they don't feel like she is paying proper attention to her schoolwork. They have also set her up with a matchmaker in hopes of finding the right boy for her that will also set her up for future success. But, when one test doesn't go as planned and she misses out on a date, Ji-su suddenly finds herself attending s
Sharlize D'Souza
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Karen
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, library, audio, read-2019

Cute and I'm sure listening to this on audio rather than reading added to my enjoyment. The narrator was wonderful. Jisu was adorable and relatable and the romance was sweet.

Several large plot points went unresolved (view spoiler) in favor of the romance whe
utterlyanintrovert
(view spoiler)

This was honestly one of the cutest reads I've read (next to Kasie West's ofc) I love the fact that it gives a lot of insights of what sense are really like. But honestly, Melissa gives too much of an emphasis on that alone that I was tired of reading all about her dates! Nonetheless, the fact that it's unli
Laura Gardner
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫/5 for 29 Dates by @authormelissadelacruz
❤️
❤️
Love this rom-com! Every other chapter is a date with a different Asian boy (seons arranged by a matchmaker on behalf of Jisu’s parents). Some are disasters and some are just unsuccessful, but they are all hilarious. (I think my favorite dates are the ones where Jisu calls the boy out for being sexist or cheap or a jerk 😂) Meanwhile, Jisu has been sent from South Korea to San Francisco to improve her chances to get into a competitive colleg
Karen
Jun 08, 2019 marked it as dnf-2016-onward  ·  review of another edition
dnf @ 19%

Maybe I need to just stop trying to read books by Melissa de la Cruz.
JiixBooks

• Love à la Mode
  • Fake It Till You Break It
  • I Love You So Mochi
  • Happy Messy Scary Love
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
  • Rent a Boyfriend
  • 10 Things I Hate About Pinky (Dimple and Rishi, #3)
  • Maybe This Time
  • 96 Words for Love
  • The Beauty of the Moment
  • Field Notes on Love
  • Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss (Love, Life, and the List, #2)
  • The Way You Make Me Feel
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • The Boy Next Story (Bookish Boyfriends, #2)
  • I'll Be the One
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like

29 (2 books)