Start by marking “Reentry” as Want to Read:
Reentry

Reentry

(Mars Endeavour #2)

After almost dying on Mars, astronaut Liz Anderson returns to Earth, but not to a hero’s welcome. America is in turmoil. The war is over, but the insurgency has just begun. So while life on Mars may have been deadly, at least up there she knew who the enemy was. Along with her, Liz has brought the remnants of the artificial intelligence that waged war on two planets. Burie ...more
Published June 11th 2019 by John Joseph Adams/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Start your review of Reentry
Lindsay
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Necessarily more far-fetched than the previous book, because we're in the realm of AI society, a post-nuclear exchange Earth and uploaded intelligence, but still trying for a hard SF thriller. Liz, a couple of her fellow Mars colonists return to Earth along with a collection of hard drives that may be the remains of Liz's lover Jianyu. They expect a welcome, but instead find themselves scapegoats for the people lost in the AI-initiated nuclear strikes. But the AIs aren't gone, and they have busi ...more
OutlawPoet
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by this author. It won't be my last.

In Reentry, the author introduces us to three members of a space station on Mars - people who were on Mars when the Earth suffered horrendous attacks. These people might be the only ones who can save what remains of humanity.

Unfortunately, their reception back on Earth isn't at all what they imagined it to be, and it becomes clear that the war may not be over.

The book meshes intriguing scientific theory with non-stop action. I loved our
Denise
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Great start to the book as the story continued from Retrograde. There are interesting ideas about how AIs might perceive the world without a body here. I was surprised by the proposition that multiple AIs developed with a variety of 'personalities.' Not sure that was explained....

Anyway the last half of the book was like an action film with little substance- so 3 stars.
Alan
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Gearheads and, maybe, Robert Sawyer fans
Recommended to Alan by: Mark P. (indirectly)
Mark P. and I have been buddies and fellow SF fans since grade school—we attended the midnight premiere of Star Trek: The Motion Picture together, for one example, and that was forty years ago now. So back in 2013, when Mark recommended Australian SF writer Peter Cawdron's Little Green Men to me, I paid attention.

I still haven't run across a copy of Little Green Men, but Cawdron hasn't been waiting around for me to catch up, either. So when 2019's Reentry showed up at my local branch library, I
Josie Jaffrey
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It’s the sequel to Retrograde, a novel about a colony on Mars that is isolated when nuclear war breaks out on Earth. Reentry picks up pretty much where that book left off, following the same main character as she returns to Earth.

There is one significant change: this book is present tense, while the first was past. Personally, I found that added to the pace of the novel and had a positive effect. And this is a pacy novel. We start with Liz’s return to Earth, but her r
Anneke
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Review: Reentry
Author: Peter Cawdron
Publisher: John Joseph Adams/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Publication Date: June 11, 2019
Review Date: May 9, 2018

This was some A+ science fiction. Which does not include anything about fantasy such as mages, witches, spells, wizards or unicorns. This is some hard core SCIENCE fiction. The underlying storyline is about AI, artificial intelligence. In fact, AI is also one of the
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to HMH for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Mal Warwick
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Australian author Peter Cawdron has followed up his superb novel, Retrograde, with a fast-paced science fiction thriller that's just as engrossing and just as firmly grounded in hard science. In Reentry, he picks up the story of Dr. Elizabeth Anderson as she returns from Mars to face an investigation of the battle she led there against the artificial intelligence that had ignited nuclear war on Earth. And in telling the tale, Cawdron paints a convincing picture of how astronauts, both past and p ...more
Bonnie McDaniel
This is the sequel to last year's Retrograde, which I really liked. That was a hard science fiction novel involving Mars colonization that I personally found far more believable than The Martian. Add a war on humanity by artificial intelligences and you had the makings of an exciting, fast-moving thriller.

Now this book deals with the aftermath and the consequences. Liz Anderson, astronaut and protagonist of Retrograde, is summoned back to Earth to report what happened on Mars. She brings with he
Jason
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the sequel to Cawdron’s brilliant Mars thriller Retrograde. It is set not long after the end of Retrograde, and see’s Liz, Su Shun, and Wen returning to Earth with the hard drives containing the consciousness of Jiayan, as well as possibly the other AIs that were on Mars.
The start of the book is both a fascinating look at the re-entry to Earth of the Astronauts, and anyone who has any vague interest at all in how this operation is conducted will be captivated by Cawdron’s words as he ta
Douglas Phillips
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Probably the most exciting part of spaceflight is reentry and landing (or splashdown), but who among us will ever experience it? Reentry begins from low Earth orbit where the ride is smooth and our bodies are weightless, transitions to a bumpy then blistering streak through miles of atmosphere with deceleration that shoves you deeper into your seat as you descend within a fireball, and then finishes with a gentle swing beneath a parachute to the surface.
My description doesn’t do justice to this
Liz
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
D.L. Morrese
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
After a global nuclear exchange instigated by an AI, Liz Anderson, an American astronaut, returns from Mars along with some hard drives that contain her dead Chinese boyfriend.... For reasons that aren't quite clear, a lot of people on Earth (or at least in the US) are holding her accountable for the war. Another AI on Earth wants to protect her from them.

Admittedly, this is a very abbreviated summary of the plot, but it does emphasize that there are some bits that don't make a lot of sense. The
Reviewer The Brown Bookloft
Summary: After the nuclear devastation of several cities around the world and the disaster on Mars in Retrograde, three of the scientists are recalled to Earth. Also traveling with them are the stored memory of the deceased Chinese scientist, Jai, and the Artificial Intelligence that attacked both Earth and Mars.

When they three scientists — Liz, Wen and Su-Shun — arrive on earth, they are shocked by what they find. They expected to find destruction and chaos, but they didn’t expect the waves of
Jessica Bronder
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
After the fight on Mars Liz Anderson and two other astronauts have been called back to Earth after to discuss the AI war. Liz is bringing back the hard drives that contain the information on the AI but also contain he deceased lover, Jianyu’s brain. Liz explains and argues about what happens to the American government she also wonders if Jianyu is still alive or if it is just a plan for another attack. At the same time we see Lucifer and Nyx, they survived the war and Lucifer has plans for Liz.

W
Lenoire
Astronaut Dr. Liz Anderson is returning to Earth from Mars to debrief Congress on what went wrong. Instead of being treated to a hero's welcome, she is surrounded by hostility as America is in turmoil. While fighting for her life in Mars, she knew who the enemy was. Back home, she is unsure who she can trust and how she can escape the deadly aftermath of the war. Upon her return, Liz also brings the remnants of the artificial intelligence that contains traces of her dead partner, Jianyu. Liz is ...more
Stephanie Norton
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Reentry" is a sequel to Retrograde, a novel about living on Mars when it became isolated when a nuclear war broke out on Earth. You will need to read book one because book two picks up right where the first book left off and it does not give a short catch up.

The book follows an astronaut, Liz Anderson, who had to leave Mars and return back to Earth to discuss the AI war to Congress on what went wrong. They are dealing with the fallout of the AI takeover on Mars. She brought the hard drives con
Michele(mluker) Luker
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one Science Fiction Series you want to get your hands on!

Reentry is the second installment in this series, with Retrograde being the first. I highly recommend that you read Retrograde first...not that Reentry couldn't be read alone, and not completely be lost in the story, you just NEED to read it also to fall for the story line and characters that are incredible.

This story is solid....solid as a planet, with crazy good imagination and ultra surprising plot twists. WOW! Your brain will b
Read Ng
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed Book #1. I have very high expectations for Book #2. I would recommend you read these books in order. You miss too much backstory if you try to skip Book #1.

Very well thought out and consistent hard science story telling. At times I felt that it was only going to be a middle story of a trilogy, but this had a decent ending and does not need a third part. But it could move into a third installment with imagination, which Cawdron appears to have. I am not sure how our heroes wer
Bruce
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok, Reentry was BONKERS. So many things would come up that were really, really out there, but the breakneck pacing meant you were on to the next thing. This is one of those stories where no one tells the main character ANYTHING that might be useful information. There was definitely a popcorn movie feel, so when the guns and the chasing happens, you dig in.

(view spoiler)
Thomas
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Cawdron, Peter. Reentry. Mars Endeavor No. 2. Houghton, 2019.
Reentry, a close sequel to Retrograde, begins as Liz and two of her Chinese colleagues travel to earth with computer memory containing the uploaded personality of Liz’s dead lover. They arrive to find themselves immediately caught up in the political hatreds generated in the aftermath of the AI-initiated nuclear exchange that they had witnessed from Mars. In the meantime, the AIs have been evolving and creating a culture of their own.
Wendy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reentry takes place in the not so distant future. The Earth and Mars have just won a war with an AI that tried to wipe out humanity.

Liz Anderson and two co-workers have just been called back to earth. Liz brings along hard drives with the AI on them for research. She is also hoping that, somehow, her love, Jianyu's consciousness is somewhere on them. As Liz reintegrates with Earth society, she feels she is being watched.

Lucifer and Nyx, the AI responsible for the recent war, are not nearly as
Joe Crowe
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
(review from an advance copy)

This one is a sequel to Retrograde, so you'll probably need to check that one out first. It's good! My review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

In that one, the story's protagonists were put through an emotional wringer as they attempted to survive living on Mars. It was hard science with gut-wrenching emotional stuff, and in the second book, there's more of that.

This time they're back on Earth, and the focus shifts to artificial intelligence.

Cawdron
CR
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Review: Can you hear me screaming right now? You can't well I'm sorry that you can't hear my joy!! After loving book I was so excited to have the chance to read book two before it comes out in June. This one picks up where book two leaves off this time were back on Earth and the gang is dealing with the aftermath of book one. I will say that having read both books I think you really should read these in order. You might be able to do book two alone but your going to miss a LOT. This one had a ...more
Emmet
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Santos
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great follow up to Mars Endeavour/Retrograde. Reentry follows Liz back to Earth to bring the AI to justices for its crimes it has committed agents the people of Mars and Earth. Liz then finds herself in the spot light but not in a good and on the run for her life and looking for answers on land and sea. Reentry moves right along with twists and turns around every corner and a great conclusion to the story, great work!!!!
Rod Hyatt
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Second book and he is still a captivating story teller. Great science. I don't usually consider AI assumptional stories vary interesting. This goes to new heights and with fanominal crazy ways. I always like Mars books as well.
Steve
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book - or just what I needed at the time. I enjoy the fantasy of sci fi and more so when it’s grounded in something resembling reality. Content aside, which I did enjoy, I’ll read more books by this author for sure.
Kay Smillie
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A highly satisfactory sequel to Retrograde. Where three of the astronauts from Mars return to Earth but don't exactly get a heroes welcome. Far from it. Excellent sci-fi and love the AI aspect. Worthy of the great reviews from top authors on the same genre.

Ray Smillie
Edward Ferrari
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was ok, definitely a non-conventional approach to AI.

• The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • Another World
  • Goldilocks
  • Zeroglyph
  • Deep Black
  • Providence
  • The Last Astronaut
  • Delphi Station (Delphi in Space #3)
  • Proxima Dreaming: Hard Science Fiction (Proxima Trilogy Book 3)
  • Mars Nation 1: Hard Science Fiction (Mars Trilogy)
  • Colony Mars Ultimate Edition: Books 1-5 of the Highly Entertaining Hard Sci-Fi Thriller.
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • Proxima Rising (Proxima Trilogy, #1)
  • Across a Billion Years
  • Destiny's Cradle
  • First Encounter
  • Fleet of Knives (Embers of War, #2)
  • The Book of Matthew: The End of Greatfall (Silo Saga)

Mars Endeavour (2 books)