Start by marking “Impossible Music” as Want to Read:
Impossible Music

Impossible Music

Music is Simon’s life—which is why he is devastated when a stroke destroys his hearing. He resists attempts to help him adjust to his new state, refusing to be counselled, refusing to learn sign-language, refusing to have anything to do with Deaf culture. Refusing, that is, until he meets G, a tough-as-nails girl dealing with her own newly-experienced deafness.
Expected publication: July 2nd 2019 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Impossible Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impossible Music

Rebecca
Feb 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
ARC provided by Netgalley and the publisher.

Nope. Thumbs down.

As a hearing impaired person, I am all for HOH/Deaf rep. I want it. I will read any and everything with a HOH/Deaf character in it. I will give pretty much anything the benefit of the doubt but most of the time, they stink.

1. This isn’t own voices. Which super bugs me because no matter how much research you do, or how many HOH/Deaf people you know ... you won’t ever get it right.
2.It focuses on a very, very rare form of hearing impa
McKayla Moors
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, young-adult, romance
I have a lot of complicated feelings about this book. On the one hand, Williams's use of language is excellent. He crafts some beautiful poetry around the ideas of Deafness, loss, change, personal growth, anger, love, creativity, etc. Sometimes I would get lost in the words, words that sang off the page. On the other hand, the story was incredibly slow, and even though very little happened, it was difficult to follow.

To start on that note, there was absolutely no reason for this story not to be
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Nov 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
So uh.. this was one of my biggest fears for a long time so this novel intrigues me so much BUT it has so much potential to be harmful and I think it's not ownvoices?
Adriana
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: to-review
I haven't fully processed this book to give a full review but here are some thoughts I have for now:

Impossible Music was able to get to the emotional side of me. I felt Simon's anger and pain. Waking up and not being able to hear would be devastating. His connection to music made this point come across well.

The going back and forth between a couple of months at a time felt off putting. It just confused me and messed with my reading experience.

The writing of Simon's emotions and his connection t
Denese Anderson
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Music is all Simon thinks about, talks about, and dreams about. Making music is the only career he imagines himself doing. Then, the nightmare happens...Simon suffers a freak stroke and wakes up completely deaf. Now, he’s lost between holding on to his dreams, and learning to accept that things will never be the same. Can his family, his doctors, and his new friend, G (who is having her own difficult time accepting her recent deafness), help him see a different future for himself?

This book will
Meghan
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This was such an inspiring story that it brought me to tears. The story behind Simon and G and how they are so musically talented suffering from this illness that costs them their gift of hearing and still strive for their dreams. This is a story that teaches adversity, hardship, struggle and perseverance that
Carrie
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love the idea of this story, but the execution left something to be desired. Simon is mostly a relatable character with enough depth to make him interesting, his reactions to his sudden deafness and manner of dealing with it are very well written. I was not a fan of the jumping back and forth in the timeline, I understand why it was done and probably would have accepted it a bit easier in a paper book that I could easily flip back in to check things. However, the pointless mentionings of sex r ...more
Lauri
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.

I started Impossible Music several times and was about to argue it was not for me, but something changed this last time I started and I found I did not want to put it down.
I won't deny there were moments when the technical terms became a bit overwhelming. But there were just as many times the vocabulary captured my attention.
I have students who have passions for their craft, be it pe
Book Bazaar
May 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this and think Simon will be a character that people like as we identify with him as he struggles to bring music into his newly deaf world. I have a few hesitations around G and the relationship with Simon, but I will leave that for others to pick at. The writing around music was wonderful and it is good to have representations of characters facing issues like hearing loss as main characters rather than as side notes.
Mel
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
How do you handle losing the ability to hear, when your intended career path required it?This story is a profound look into the answer to how Simon adapts after the loss of his hearing. Granted it takes him being interested in a girl to start looking for the answer, but still a moving story.

*Received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Tammy Kelly
Mar 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
To start, thank you NetGalley for allowing me to read this for an honest review. I thought Simon was a good character, sadly it wasn't that good for me. It didn't have that spark that I thought it was going to have when I first read the description.
The Bookish Austin
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Since this was an arc, my review will come closer to release date.
Trisha
Very interesting and thoughtful.

Alyssa
Mar 28, 2019
Stacie
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. All opinions expressed are completely my own.

I fully admit there is likely an audience to whom this book appeals, but I am not it.

The story is definitely interesting in premise and the writing is nice and straightforward, as you would expect from a male narrator, especially at that age.

I completely understand, given the circumstances, that the narrator would be very angry at the world. However, it set the tone so mu
May 21, 2019
Elizabeth
Apr 25, 2019
Chivon
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited to be allowed to receive this arc copy, I was automatically drawn in by the cover and once I read the synopsis I couldn’t wait to read it. I have always been interested in different disabilities or auto immune diseases, being a person belonging to one of those categories. I did love the knowledge that the book provided about the deaf community and The hearing impaired .
Upon reading I was quickly drawn in and did not take long for me to like the book and breeze through the bo
Rafael
Mar 08, 2019
Ema
Apr 25, 2019 added it
Music is my life. If forced to pick between books and music, I might pick music (don't tell books I said that.) I'm not going to talk about how much money I spent on concerts today. In a recent Sean newsletter, he recommended the new Billie Eilish album, so I've got to admit I was a bit scared coming into this about whether he could effectively capture what it is to adore music with every ounce of your soul. Yes, I'm a judgemental human being. But I think Sean really depicted what it's like to l ...more
Hira Chaudhary
May 08, 2019
luci whitelake
May 20, 2019
Marti
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read full review here: https://bookishtreats.wordpress.com/2...

Music can be transmitted through words. Not just music, but noise as well. If you find the right words and put them together, you will be able to hear a horse galloping through the green, windy mountain. Flowers dancing at the beat of the wind, bees buzzing from one bloom to the next. It is a beautiful thing to hear sounds through words, using past experiences and imagination as primary sources. I didn’t know, or maybe didn’t pay at
Kathryn
Bee
Nov 01, 2018
Annika Wahl
Nov 02, 2018
#1 New York Times bestselling Sean Williams lives with his family in Adelaide, South Australia. He’s written some books--forty-two at last count--including the Philip K. Dick-nominated Saturn Returns, several Star Wars novels and the Troubletwister series with Garth Nix. Twinmaker is a YA SF series that takes his love affair with the matter transmitter to a whole new level. You can find some relat ...more