Start by marking “My Name Is Wakawakaloch!” as Want to Read:
My Name Is Wakawakaloch!

My Name Is Wakawakaloch!

In this lighthearted picture book, the intrepid, determined, and savvy Wakawakaloch learns to embrace what makes her special while lifting up her neanderthal community. Perfect for fans of Vera Brosgol and Emily Hughes.

No one can pronounce Wakawakaloch’s name. Why couldn’t she be called something simple . . . like Gloop? That’s a name you can find on a T-shirt! But after
Published August 27th 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about My Name Is Wakawakaloch!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Name Is Wakawakaloch!

Start your review of My Name Is Wakawakaloch!
La Coccinelle
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I don't really like this. While the predicament is funny (and relatable for some kids) and the pictures are sort of cute (especially the ones on the endpapers), the broken English is annoying and the historical accuracy is non-existent.

If you want to write a story about cavemen who can't correctly use pronouns, write a story about cavemen. Do not write a story about Neanderthals and then make half of them of non-European descent. (Also, don't put dinosaurs in there. That should be a given.)

It's
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wakawakaloch hates her name. It's a name everyone has trouble with. It's a name people make fun of. It's a name she can never find on a t-shirt. Then a wise one suggests she learn the history of her name and she suddenly has new respect for her complex name.

It's a fun look at names and the difficulties we have with them.

Corey Schwartz
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, I was lucky enough to get a sneak peek at this and I have a major book crush. It is absolutely HILARIOUS! The text is funny and clever, the art is beyond adorable, and as a person who was never able to find souvenirs with my name on them when I was growing up, I could 100% relate!
Diana Murray
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Me love book! Me love book a lot. Seriously, so funny and so kid-friendly. Excellent writing and illustrations. Will appeal to kids with hard-to-pronounce names, but that's not all. Will appeal to ALL kids for the humor and easy-to-relate-to kid issue. Not to mention, it's heartfelt, too! And the caveman theme is awesome.
Gretchen
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wakawakaloch has a problem lots of kids can relate to. She just wants to avoid name confusion by having an easy-to-pronounce name that she can find on a tee-shirt. Chana Stiefel and Mary Sullivan hit a home run with this funny cave-age story about this cavegirl learning to accept her unusual name with pride, once she learns her family history. She then helps other kids with similar issues by (spoiler alert) creating custom tee-shirts with their names on them. Sullivan’s illustrations are a ...more
Andria Rosenbaum
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poor Wakawakaloch has only one wish. Why can't anyone pronounce her name properly? This hilarious story may have a stone age setting, but the theme is modern and fresh. The illustrations are paired perfectly with the tale and beam with personality and emotion. This is a story kids will beg to read over and over again! And they'll have a ball trying to pronounce the imaginative words within too.
Ariel
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like many people, I often hear my name mispronounced so I loved seeing a book about a character with the same problem! But even readers with easy to say names will enjoy the story of Wakawakaloch and her struggle to be happy with a name that you can't even find on a t-shirt. A very fun read aloud with adorable illustrations!
Jodi McKay
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ooga Booga! (That means very cool) Wakawakaloch is tired of everyone pronouncing her name incorrectly. Why can't she just be called something easy like Gloop? This story offers humor and heart as Wakawakaloch discovers what her names really means.
Abby
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I cannot wait for this book!!!
Kirsti Call
So clever and fun!!!!
Erica Sonzogni
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
People with the name Nicole, Danielle, or Larry usually do not have to worry about others not being able to pronounce your name. What happens if your name is Wakawakaloch? Wakawakaloch is a child growing up in the prehistoric era. All of her peers have names like Oog, Boog, and or Goog. Those names are easily found on t-shirts. Wakawakaloch strongly dislikes her name and tries to talk to her parents about the problem. Her parents try to explain that she is named after an important person in ...more
Stacie
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A young cavegirl is upset because everyone at school mispronounces her name. Sometimes they do it as a joke and other times they really don’t know how to pronounce it. But, Wakawakaloch has had it. She just wants a simple name that can be found on a t-shirt.

I can relate a little to Wakawakaloch. Even though I had a common first name growing up, the spelling of my name was unique enough that I could never find anything personalized with my name. In the ’80s, personalized items were a big deal and
Bethany M. Edwards
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
here is so much excitement around #backtoschool. I for one am blown away by the Black Lives Matter door décor and the Harry Potter themed HS English classes. A teacher is likely the GOAT of all GOATS.

However, one BIG discussion that is a hot button issue for SO many kids is the fact that there are so many kids (and teachers!) who don’t value pronouncing a child’s name correctly.

Enter Wakawakaloch.

The frustration behind those beautiful puffs is real.
As she continues to correct her classmates
Ms Threlkeld
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Poor Wakawakaloch. No one pronounces her name correctly, no matter how many times she corrects them, and it is starting to get under her skin. Her parents don't provide much comfort, sending her to the village elder for advice, which Wakawakaloch can't decipher. Then she sees a cave painting of the ancestor she was named for and realizes that her name connects her to her past and suits her perfectly. From that point on she makes it her mission to help other people with unusual names, mostly by ...more
Kristi Bernard
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Get ready to laugh out loud! This hilarious story is about a little cavegirl who is always mad because no one can say her name correctly. The kids on the playground attempt to cheer her on when she plays but they never seem to get it right. Finally, Wakawakaloch had enough and told her parents she wanted to change her name. Instead, they sent her to the Elder Mooch and she learned about her ancestor and namesake. Do you think she will change her mind and not her name?

There are plenty of people
Eileen Meyer
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chana Stiefel's delightful picture book showcases little Wakawakaloch's pesky problem - no one can say her name properly, and as a result, she doesn't like it either. In fact, she's bound and determined to change her difficult name. Only when she learns a bit more about her own family history, who the original Wakawakaloch was - and how she feels connected to her, does she make an important decision. This is a great book for every youngster who is wrestling with understanding just where they fit ...more
Jenna Grodzicki
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This hilarious picture book is one both children and adults will love. Poor Wakawakaloch has a name that no one can pronounce/remember. She wishes she had a simpler name, like Gloop. It takes a little help from her family and a forward-thinking t-shirt stand to help Wakawakaloch learn to love her name. As someone who grew up with a last name no one could pronounce and a first name that was never on a t-shirt, I could feel Wakawakaloch's pain. Young readers will love the delightful illustrations ...more
Juliana Lee
Wakawakaloch is a cave girl with a name no one can pronounce. And what's worse, she can't find a T-shirt with her name on it. (What's a T-shirt?) She would rather be called Oog or Boog or Goog. Then she leans the history of her great-great-great-great-great grandmother Wakawakaloch and decides to keep her own name. She starts a personalized T-shirt company and sells shirts for everyone, even those with names like Hoopaloopie.
Sheri
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun story and great for kids who have ever had a name no one else pronounces correctly and learning to live with it and embrace your family. I loved the illustrations on the end pages as well. This is from the p.o.v. of a cavegirl with hilarious illustrations. I love that the old caveman can make jokes with her when he advises her. Reminds me of Mel Brooks as the oldest man alive. I needed this book to bring a smile while writing my own stories.
Johnell Dewitt
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh boy, can I relate. No t-shirts for me either. Wakawakaloch has troubles many children with unusual names have--no one can pronounce it, it's never on any key chain or t-shirt and it just sticks out in all the wrong ways. But when Wakawakaloch realizes the relationship of her name to her ancestor and her ancestor's amazing feats, she makes that name her own and finds a way to help others. A great read for creating empathy and for children who struggle with an unusual name of their own.
Melissa Stoller
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This funny and heartfelt book is set in cave-person days, but it relates just as much to kids of today who want people to pronounce their name correctly! Wakawakaloch wants her name to be Gloop until she understands a bit more about her family history. Then she is proud of her name and finds a great solution to helping other kids facing the same challenge. With clever wordplay and lively illustrations, this book is a winner!
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For all those littles (and bigs) who could never find their name on a t-shirt. After wishing for an easy to pronounce name like Gloop, Wakawakaloch finds the beauty in her name and a clever solution to the t-shirt problem. Many kids will finally see their names in a book thanks to the incredible endpapers. Hugely entertaining and oh so relevant!
Gina Perry
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wakawakaloch is a magical combination of Mary Sullivan's hilarious and super inventive illustrations and a funny, truly original prehistoric tale about discovering the value (and tradition) in a name. Chana and Mary create a rich world with so many fun details to make this one to read over and over. Kids will love the bonus endpapers with lots of other unique names and their pronunciations.
Karen Rostoker-Gruber
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just LOVED this! Any child with a tough name to pronounce will immediately relate to Wakawakaloch. My sister (Dawn) was always upset that no gift shops ever sold anything with her name on it: pencils, pads, crayons, etc.

And, how can you NOT love a cave girl who wants to change her name to Gloop because Wakawakaloch is too difficult for all of her friends to say.
Delanie
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-and-tots
I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH!!! WHERE WAS IT WHEN I WAS A KID?? Seriously, this meant alot to me. And even though I'm grownup now Wakawakaloch reminded me that my name comes from somewhere special and even if other people mess it up I can still appreciate it.
Pam
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The message is important - celebrate who you are, but the writing style is frustrating.
Definitely a humorous book with well drawn illustrations but the mangled speaking style takes away from the story for me.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Neanderthal girl is frustrated no one pronounces her name correctly.
Carrie Charley Brown
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a fresh, clever idea! I was hooked right from the end papers, and had to read every single t-shirt and pronunciation. This engaging, enjoyable story is important for every child to hear.
Michele Knott
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Names, and how to pronounce them, are important.
Jessie Bond
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Uber charming, and perfect for those many kids with not-on-a-T-shirt names.

• Once Upon a Goat
  • Just Because
  • Unicorn Day
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • A Crazy-Much Love
  • Hedy Lamarr's Double Life: Hollywood Legend and Brilliant Inventor
  • Martin & Anne, The Kindred Spirits of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Anne Frank
  • Pencil's Perfect Picture
  • Be a Maker
  • Two Tough Trucks
  • Truman
  • Where Is My Balloon?
  • HAND IN HAND
  • Where Are You From?
  • Just Like Rube Goldberg: The Incredible True Story of the Man Behind the Machines
  • The Scarecrow
  • Why?
  • Dress Like a Girl
Chana Stiefel is the author of more than 20 books for children. Her picture books include DADDY DEPOT (Feiwel & Friends, 2017) & MY NAME IS WAKAWAKLOCH (HMH, August, 2019). ANIMAL ZOMBIES! AND OTHER BLOODSUCKING BEASTS, CREEPY CRITTERS, AND REAL-LIFE MONSTERS, is available from National Geographic Kids. Chana is represented by agent John M. Cusick at Folio Literary.