Start by marking “Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc” as Want to Read:
Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc

Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc

Author David Elliott explores how Joan of Arc changed the course of history and remains a figure of fascination centuries after her extraordinary life and death.

Told through medieval poetic forms and in the voices of the people and objects in Joan of Arc’s life, (including her family and even the trees, clothes, cows, and candles of her childhood). Along the way it explore
Published March 26th 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Voices, please sign up.
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberA Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
YA Novels of 2019
870 books — 2,962 voters
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonChildren of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,463 books — 3,987 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Voices: The Final Hours of Joan of Arc
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was really fascinating! To be honest, I don't know too much about Joan of Arc, but it was neat learning more about her through this poetry format. I loved the unique perspective of her story being told through things like her armor, her sword, a tower, fire.. the list goes on and on. I did feel like sometimes the flow of the story felt a bit off, but for the most part I liked this quite a bit!
Briana
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is a creative book, a story told in different types of verse by Joan herself and by different people and objects that were present during her life and near her death (the flames at her pyre, St. Michael the Archangel, her banner, her sword, etc.). Its unique form and its attempt to deal with subject matter like medieval gender roles will likely make it popular with educators, librarians, and award committees.  Other Goodreads reviews also suggest that readers unfamiliar with Joan of Arc lik ...more
TL
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it

Enjoyed it for the most part. Author is very talented in this format.
*awkward phrasing but too tired right now. *

Some of the POVs from inanimate objects were weird to me (didn't care for most of them). Especially (view spoiler).

Some of the formats for the different POVs are formatted different and have smaller print. So fair warning to those who
Emma
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this in the span of 45 minutes, and while the writing was so beautiful, I really didn’t care much for this at all. I don’t think it was as awe inspiring as I hoped, and I really struggled because it wasn’t holding my attention well. Perhaps it’s a case of its-not-you-it’s me, but I just felt this wasn’t exactly my cup of tea.
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Saints are only human.

This was a very well-written little book. I'm a huge fan of Joan of Arc (although I don't know nearly enough about her), so I was very excited for this. The writing is absolutely gorgeous, the way the poems are written gave me chills, and I loved reading this. I was anticipating everything up until the very last moment, and yet I was not fully prepared. Also, the title's great.

However, there were two things about this that affected my rating.

1.) The Religious Aspect
I'm sorr
Robin Tobin (On the back porch reading)
WOW! What a fantastic read. This is a medieval poem masterpiece. The sharing of Joan the Arc's last days and thoughts through various poem/verse styles. Each one cleverly told by Joan or those within the drama of her life. Each poem cleverly presented in a creative, artistic manner to accentuate the mastery of the wordsmith.
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
I am giving this book 2 stars for my personal reading experience and enjoyment of this story, but it truly does deserve a higher rating when it comes to the talent of the author's writing. While reading, I could identify that the author was clearly talented in his writing skill; however, the verse format was too complex for me to enjoy the story that was being told through it.

I find everything surrounding the story of Joan of Arc interesting and due to that it was a good read for the content, b
Caylynn
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-release
Every life is its own story-
not without a share of glory,
and not without a share of grief.
I lived like a hero at seventeen.
At nineteen, I die like a thief.

This was my first time ever diving into a book written in verse, and I was NOT LET DOWN. Jeannette- more commonly known as Joan of Arc- was my biggest idol during my childhood years. I aspired to be her, I read tons of kid friendly history books about her, I wrote all my essays about her in some way or form, etc. She was a big part of form
Megan
Apr 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read this book in ~45 minutes and I'm really torn. This has been on my list for a little while now, and with my heart hurting from the burning of Notre Dame, I felt like the timing was right to read about Joan.

I was a little hesitant to read a book in verse about Joan written by a man, and turns out I was pretty disappointed. Maybe this writing style just isn't for me, but I couldn't get past the very odd, very sexual elements from inanimate objects towards Joan (her tunic against her breasts
Nicole M. Hewitt
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Wow! A historical novel about Joan of Arc in verse? It's either a crazy idea or utterly inspired---turns out it's the latter. First off, I highly recommend that you read this book aloud because a lot of the book is written in rhymed and metered verse. I started out reading in my head, and I liked it, but when I started to read aloud the verse truly came alive. You'll have to have an open mind when you read this---some
Ana
It seems to me my only real
transgression was to invade and
girl of ill repute instead of
what I was and who I am: a
girl who dared to live the life of
a brave and honest man.

bookreaderinluv but she's tired too
From the start, Joan didn't need or want what other girls needed, her mother, for example. It hurts to have a daughter who so clearly knows her own mind. Such qualities are dangerous in a woman

Every time I see something related to Joan of Arc I always feel such an heartbreaking sensation, similar to guilt and pity, but also anger. This book is amazing and an incredible way to teach other people, who have never heard of this incredible woman, her story. I really loved this book, I think it lacks
Eva B.
Apparently I also forgot to review this? It was pretty good, but then again I love almost everything Joan of Arc, and the use of visual poetry was good, and I loved the different perspectives shown.
But if you're looking for a Joan of Arc poetry collection, The Language of Fire is a lot better.
Katherine
”It seems to me my only real
transgression was to invade and
me far less if I had been a
girl of ill repute instead of
what I was and who I am: a
girl who dared to live the life of
a brave and honest man.”

description

This book deserves all the applause and so much more.

David Elliott hit it out of the park with his free verse retelling
Bitchin' Reads
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
2/19/2019: Second read through for a reading challenge, prompt "historical retelling." This is the perfect quick read to fulfill the prompt too. I think I enjoyed it more this second go around since I knew what to expect. The trouble women face with societal expectations hit me a little harder this time and I can't stop thinking about it.

***

This was a different kind of read for me. It's kinda a historical verse novel with some perspectives that are explored and imagined. Unfortunately, I don't c
Hannah Jayne
I don’t know how to rate this

I don’t know the actual story of Joan of Arc
I don’t know if this was accurate at all
I don’t know if I’m supposed to like her or not

What a strange story

What a scary story

Other than that — and the general wariness that all brings — the poetic structure was really cool. Much cooler if you read it out loud and get a feel for the rhythms. A little boring and repetitive if you read it in your head. I liked the perspectives of inanimate objects, and the placement of words o
Gabriel
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: heavenly-rush, poetry
I'm assigning these three stars for ambition, I guess, and also for forthright acknowledgment that I read through the whole thing very quickly--it's possible one of the stars is just for being a book about Jeanne d'Arc, which is a trifle unfair. I dunno what to say, I read a couple of Jeanne d'Arc books as a child (Young Joan is the one that stuck with me) and the unearthly power of her story moves me as well as it moves many.

With that in mind, I had two powerful objections or disappointments wi
Katherine Moore
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is exquisite. ‘Voices: The Final Hours Of Joan Of Arc’ has brought life once again to one of the most unforgettable and extraordinary female warrior icons. Everyone knows her name, but do they know her story?

Told in verse, in different medieval forms of poems, ’Voices’ is so unique (some stanzas are shaped like the subject that is ‘speaking,’ ie the sword or the crossbow). David Elliott has written such a compelling account of Joan’s short life from her beginnings in Domrémy, to her v
Rian *fire and books*
Sep 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Nope. I’m done.

Nope nope nope.

I got 35% in before the sexual references creeped me out. LITERALLY THERE IS A POEM FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF HER VIRGINITY. How fucking nasty?!

The page I gave up on? ”...how naturally I lay against her breasts.”

I skimmed to the end to look at quotes from the two trials and glimpsed many more sexual references (don’t ask about the swords) and I’m out. I shouldn’t have trusted a male author to handle such an amazing female figure.

I’ll give the author credit for his
mara
I think many people may not enjoy this book because they think it is a novel from the perspective of Joan of Arc when it is a collection of poems from her perspective, her associates and the trial of condemnation. I can see why some may not enjoy it regardless of the misunderstanding, especially if they had no idea about her life in general, but for me who has used her as a model in many a class project, I thoroughly enjoyed every reference made.

The poems made me think, wonder, and revel in the
Teresa
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick read told in well-thought-out poetic verse.

I don't know much about Joan of Arc, but I enjoyed what this book had to offer of her (though I cannot know how much is actually fact).

Took maybe 45 minutes to an hour to read. The story was okay, but the 4* is really for the author's craft into this work. An excellent book to have on my classroom shelf for teen readers (or middle grade too).
Mads
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just read this in one hour and....holy shit
Sam & Isabelle (CapuletReads)
Okay, so something to know about me is I have a weird fascination with Joan of Arc.

Literally one day I woke up and had to know everything about her.

So when I heard there was a YA book about Joan of Arc coming out I knew I had to get my hands on it. I also had some really high expectations. And I can say, without a doubt, this book was everything I wanted and more. I didn't expect the book to be told in poems (I obviously didn't read the synopsis), and it ended up being a delightful surprise.

Wha
Alex  Baugh
I've never really had much of an interest in Joan of Arc. I knew who she was, of course, and what she had done, thanks to a hand-me-down Classic Illustrated Comics collection. And I did go see Saint Joan with Condola Rashad on Broadway, which was excellent. But that was basically it...until I read Voices. WOW! Here was a book that blew me away from the first poem to the last.

In Voices: the Final Hours of Joan of Arc, David Elliott offers readers an amazing perspective on the life and final momen
Melanie  Brinkman
May 21, 2019 added it
Shelves: own-e
Who was Joan of Arc?

Joan of Arc was a young woman of France who fought for what she believed in. Like many, I have always thought that Joan of Arc has been an interesting woman to look up to for her strength and determination.

Other than what the children's books at the library had to offer and a Wishbone episode, it has been a struggle to find out anything about her. Voices is a great overview of Joan of Arc.

Told in verse, this is one of the most unique historical fictions I have ever read. The
Nancy
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Voices is a novel in verse about the famous Joan of Arc. Poems guide us through her life- from her first visions, to when she led armies to drive the English out of France in the name of King Charles VII, to when she was betrayed by the nobility who feared her influence and finally to her death in 1431. We get many POV's as Joan, her mother and father, King Charles, Bishop Cauchon and Saint Michael share their perspectives of what they are thinking during Joan's short life. These fictionalized t ...more
Moon
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than I expected. The poetry made more sense to me as it had a story to tell, and it is based on Medieval types of poetry which apparently match some types of poetry in Spanish (I don't understand poetry in English all the time).
And of course, my child heart that used to play Age of Empires II, knew how to pronounce all the places and surprisingly to myself, a lot of the story and characters. It felt like coming to a meeting fo The fire poems are in some way my favourite but
Carrie
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this unexpectedly in a sale at B&N, and I picked it up because I've been interested in Joan of Arc since high school. I'm really glad I did. It was a wonderful reading experience. The language is lovely and the story inspiring, so much so that I had to force myself to slow down so I could savor the read.

Some poems are from Joan's perspective, some are from people she knows like her mother and father, and some are from the perspective of inanimate objects that become important in her life
R. G. Nairam
Expertly written, though oddly I found Joan's poems some of the least interesting. It was really fascinating to learn in the author's note that Elliott was using medieval verse forms for almost all the poems, which made me appreciate them more.

Modern sensibilities and moralities creep in at points, mostly in relation to the church and the Saints Joan said she heard, though on the whole it treats Joan herself with dignity.
Ksandra
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5/5 Stars

Joan of Arc has always been one of my favorite historical figures. And I believe this small novel was able to voice her history so well. I especially loved that it was poetic and focused on some aspects of her history that some wouldn't consider. It was lyrical and easy to read.

• The Language of Fire: Joan of Arc Reimagined
  • Go with the Flow
  • On Thin Ice
  • Dig.
  • This Promise of Change: One Girl’s Story in the Fight for School Equality
David Elliott is the author of THE COOL CRAZY CRICKETS and THE TRANSMOGRIFICATION OF ROSCOE WIZZLE. He says of AND HERE'S TO YOU!, "My neighbor’s rooster and I were having a disagreement. I wanted to sleep in the morning; he wanted to crow. The rooster won, of course. The first verse of AND HERE'S TO YOU! is a tribute to his victory and to the joys found in simply following your nature."

News & Interviews

“I welcomed who I was and left behind who I was not.” 5 likes
“Each decision that we make comes with a hidden price. We're never told what it is we may be asked to sacrifice.” 2 likes