Jump to ratings and reviews

Little Lobo #1

¡Vamos! Let's Go to the Market

Visit a marketplace of a buzzing border town.

This bilingual board book teaches readers simple words in Spanish as they experience the bustling life of a border town. Follow Little Lobo and his dog Bernabe as they deliver supplies to a variety of vendors, selling everything from sweets to sombreros, portraits to piñatas, carved masks to comic books!

48 pages, Hardcover

First published April 2, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Raúl the Third

17 books36 followers
Raúl The Third is an award-winning illustrator, author, and artist living in Boston. His work centers around the contemporary Mexican-American experience and his memories of growing up in El Paso, Texas and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 227 reviews
Profile Image for Melki.
5,589 reviews2,310 followers
May 17, 2020
This was a five-SQUEE book for me!

A simple, bilingual tale of three things I love - shopping, eating, and lucha libre! ZING go the strings of my corazón! I want to go to this market, buy all the nifty wares, and stuff my face with the splendiferous food.

The artwork is the real star here . . .

The style is funky and retro - kind of like one of Sara Varon's critters

had a baby with Cuphead.

description

Look out, Raúl the Third . . .

I am SO following you!

Profile Image for Joe.
96 reviews719 followers
July 14, 2019
Let's address the obvious comparison: ¡Vamos! Let's Go to the Market is the modern day Richard Scarry book.

If, as a child, you enjoyed poring over Scarry's busy cityscapes peppered with a cast of amusing characters, you will find much to enjoy in this brilliantly conceived picture book. Each page is packed with action and pleasingly humorous details that, for this reader, tickled every nostalgic bone in my body. It is one of those books that a reader can look at again and again and find new details with each read. Very few picture books offer that level of return-customer satisfaction.

Like Scarry's Best Little Word Book Ever, Raul the III's gleeful picture book follows an anthropomorphic protagonist as they travel through a landscape littered with vocabulary words. This time, though, those words are in Spanish, inviting non-Spanish speakers to use context and visual cues to define the terms. Honestly, though, Scarry books were how many English-speaking kids learned English words, so I imagine the same can be said for ¡Vamos! and Spanish-speaking children, too. These words are reinforced throughout: the cosas on the second page are later carried by a character when Little Lobo arrives at the Mercado Guauhtemoc. That Raul the III includes a glossary makes this a pretty useful book in either an ESL class or Spanish class.

Joyfully, many of the stories on the cluttered pages follow through the narrative arc. Did you catch the veijita at the fountain feeding the birds who's suddenly being carried in the air by said birds on the next page? Did you notice Toro (barely concealed in a paper bag mask) traipsing through some of the sets? Like this Luchador, the book is peppered with nods to Mexican culture - from the Frida and Diego marionettes in Señor Puppetro's shop to the coiled serpent symbol that represents fertility from Tenochtitlan. These little nuggets reveal themselves upon closer inspection, and my, is it ever a rewarding experience.

My very, very, very favorite Easter Egg, though, was the cockroach, whose counterpart is Scarry's Goldbug (though way easier to find than Goldbug). Every page features this cockroach, oftentimes doing gently humorous things, like reading a book titled La Cucaracha or posing as a juguete in the toy shop. What fun it will be for kids to spot him on each page!

It's too early in the year to crown a Caldecott frontrunner, but my chips are on this one. This is a pure delight, start to finish.
Profile Image for Chance Lee.
1,311 reviews120 followers
March 28, 2019
An absolutely beautifully illustrated picture book about Little Lobo and his dog, Bernabé, navigating a busy market. They see so many sites. The details feel endless.
Profile Image for Sofiya Pasternack.
Author 4 books144 followers
February 1, 2019
This is truly Richard Scarry on the border! Every time you go through this book, there's a new little illustration tucked away that you didn't catch last time. My kids love the Spanish words peppered over the pages and all the great characters! Definitely a wonderful book for all ages!
Profile Image for Zoe's Human.
1,688 reviews67 followers
October 21, 2019
I love, absolutely love, the art style and concept of this, but it is simply too chaotic for me. The amount of information, in text and images, on a page feels overwhelming to the extent that I simply couldn't enjoy the beauty of the art or the story.
Profile Image for Ms. B.
2,798 reviews35 followers
November 18, 2019
3.75 stars, what a fun way to learn another language. Bilingual readers will love this picture book about a day at the market.
Profile Image for Ro Menendez.
564 reviews20 followers
April 8, 2019
This is a book to read alone, to read together, to read in pairs, to read with someone who only speaks Spanish, or someone who only speaks English, the enjoyment and possibilities are endless and divine! Little Lobo runs a delivery service and we get to experience his day starting off with Lobo waking up to Kooky Dooky, the rooster's crow. From the very first page readers are invited to explore all of the intricate details of the Mexican town that Little Lobo calls home. The main plot follows Little Lobo's work day, but there is so much going on in subtle and overt ways in the illustrations that weave themselves with Lobo's thoughts and actions, that readers will be looking for clues to these parallel plots. Many readers might even want to write their own parallel stories! ¡Vamos! cannot be digested in one reading, and readers will find themselves returning to it and discovering new words, new stories, new details every time they open the cover. Raul The Third includes discreet labels for many objects within this picture-book-graphic-novel hybrid, exposing English readers to Spanish, including Spanish readers as active participants of the story, creating bridges between monolingual students where they can meet in the middle, read as a team, teach each other new words, and bond over this enriching reading experience. So many times I've browsed books with titles like "First 100 words in English" and put them back because they are just no fun, it's drill and kill, and what reader would want to return to that book over and over, and learn something from it? Raul The Third has created an engaging vehicle to acquire English and Spanish, without making readers feel different, without making them stand out because they are newcomers to the US, while providing them with comforting images and stories that will remind them of home and help them relate to others in their new journey.
Profile Image for Christina Carter.
242 reviews31 followers
May 15, 2019
Little Lobo and his dog Bernabé have many supplies to deliver to the people at the Mercado. He is thorough to check his list to make sure that he doesn't forget anything as he heads out for the day. His route bustles with the rhythm of the daily grind and brims with innovative businesses of all kinds. Along the way, Lobo and Bernabé catch a dance performance, stop for a sweet treat, and pick up the latest comic; taking in the sights and sounds of the community while making their deliveries with care.

There is no shortage of wonder on these pages. From the comic book look and feel throughout to the Mercado that is chock full of sights to see. Your little reader will have much to explore and learn both in English and Spanish in this bilingual picture book. I read this book with my nieces who are both under the age of 3 and they LOVED pointing to all of the objects they found. This gave me an opportunity to teach them so many words! The glossary helped with that too. It includes many of the Spanish words that are found throughout the book.

I will certainly add a copy of ¡Vamos! Let's Go to the Market to my K-5 library but I would also recommend it for your pre-school readers (including toddlers) who will have much to gain from this story as a read-aloud. Raul the Third's illustrations are awesomely detailed and Elaine Bay's choice of colors set the perfect tone. The characters are memorable and feel timeless. I can only hope to read more books that will feature Little Lobo and Bernabé in the future.

This is the first book that I've read from the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Versify imprint that is curated by Kwame Alexander. If Raul the Third's book is any indication as to the caliber of books we can expect from this imprint, then I am super excited for what is to come. Next up I plan to read The Undefeated, a picture book crafted by two of my favorite kidlit creators author Kwame Alexander and illustrator Kadir Nelson.
Profile Image for Beth P.
191 reviews2 followers
April 9, 2019
What a fun book that kids are going to love reading again and again. I found myself poring over the detailed pages and can see kids doing the same thing. This book can be used in so many ways, but bottom line is kids are going to dig it.
Profile Image for Kiersten.
21 reviews
April 28, 2020
This book is a great way to have students learn about the Spanish language and culture. No wonder this book received the 2020 Pura Belpre Illustrator Honor Book due to its fantastic illustrations of the town as the lobo (wolf) and his dog travel throughout the day and talk to various people. This book offers a great introduction to the Spanish language to support bilingual education through short and simple phrases. Readers can use context clues and pictures to support their understanding of the Spanish words. This book also gives a great inside look into the culture and traditions within this town/village such as pinatas, masks, puppets, food, sweets, markets, and many more. Readers are able to understand more about the culture in this town through the fun illustrations and creativity of various animals as characters. The book was easy to read and follow with the short speech bubbles or text on each page. Readers can definitely get lost in the infinite detailed illustrations on each page. I would recommend this book for early elementary students as an independent book or read aloud in order to share stories from different cultures with small incorporation of the Spanish language. I found this book on the list of Pura Belpre Honors and Awards and read it in E-book format through my local library.
Profile Image for The Voracious Bibliophile.
315 reviews16 followers
December 3, 2020
This is probably my new favorite picture book of all time. The illustrations are gorgeous and various characters and objects are presented in conjunction with their name(s) in Spanish. I love this book so much!
Profile Image for Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*.
6,001 reviews178 followers
May 1, 2020
¡Vamos! Let's Go to the Market by Raúl the Third PICTURE BOOK Versify, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2019 $15.00 9781328557261

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Little Lobo has a very busy day planned. He and his dog Bernabé have lots of deliveries to make all over the Mercado, so they fill their wagon and head to market. Such a busy place! Shoe polish to Chiva's Zonkey, paintbrushes to the portrait studio with lots of stops inbetween - but the best delivery of all . . . a delivery to his favorite wrestler.

Raúl the Third is the author of the Lowriders in Space graphic novel series, and I love his picture book. It reminds me of Richard Scarry's books - took me right back - such a nostalgic feel, but new, for this generation. Every scene is full of busy busy townsfolk, lots of details on every page with words in both Spanish and English. I loved the names of the friends - Kooky Dooky is the rooster - the funny things happening at each stop, and the way Spanish is mixed with English. Read and re-read, spend lots of time looking at the illustrations, and enjoy your trip to the Mercado.

Lisa Librarian
Profile Image for Brenda Kahn.
3,638 reviews53 followers
Read
April 6, 2019
When my sons were small, they loved to pore over our many Richard Scarry books. We had an oversized one that was about 3 x 3' when opened and they laid on the floor and pointed and wondered. This gorgeous bilingual homage to life in a border town will inspire the same fascination. Let your Spanish teachers and ESL teachers know about this. Belongs in every school, public, classroom and home library!
Profile Image for Beverly.
5,073 reviews4 followers
May 8, 2019
Partly graphic novel-style--some pages are in panels, and other pages are single- or double-page spreads. The author/illustrator also illustrated Lowriders to the Center of the Earth, so the artwork looks similar to that book, but this one is in full color.
Profile Image for Amanda.
323 reviews40 followers
June 29, 2019
Brilliant! Pictures are used to teach non-native speakers English, but this one teaches non-native Spanish speakers Spanish! So much fun to spend time with each page finding the Spanish words and leaning them with the colorful visuals. Adore the Toro sub-plot, too; reminiscent of Where’s Waldo but way cooler. The art is a nod to comics, so wildly animated and vivid. Definitely a Caldecott and Pura Belpré contender. An absolute joy to read and read again!
Profile Image for Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance.
5,741 reviews279 followers
August 23, 2019
Little Lobo and his dog, Bernabe, take us on a trip through the delights of the market (el mercado)---the dulceria, the yerberia, the placito, a comic book booth, a booth with handmade masks, a booth for jarros de barro, a piñata booth, a booth for plants, a painting booth, even a shop devoted to a famous wrestler. You will love visiting all these fun places, and you might learn a bit of Spanish/English along the way.
Profile Image for Ricki.
Author 2 books102 followers
January 28, 2019
¡Vamos!: Let's Go to the Market by Raúl the Third is a fantastic new bilingual book that will be coming out with the first batch from Versify press. Each page contains a wealth of information and pictures. My two kids were captivated when we read it. Look out for this one. It will be getting a lot of press. Full blog review to come closer to the pub date. :)
Profile Image for Megan.
225 reviews6 followers
June 27, 2019
There is so much to take in on each page! All the amazing details and creative drawings! A fun story with the vocabulary and busyness of a Richard Scarry book, but with more energy, creativity and Mexican culture!
Profile Image for Janelle.
139 reviews7 followers
May 30, 2019
Introduces readers to Spanish words and Mexican-American culture. Detailed illustrations enhance the book- whoever likened it to Richard Scarry's "Busytown" is a genius.
Profile Image for Kaethe.
6,331 reviews451 followers
January 11, 2021
#7 in 365 Kids Books challenge and bid to get back on the Top 100 Readers list for full explanation see my review for 101 Amazing Facts about Australia

One day in and this begins to seem like a bad idea: there might not be enough time to read everything else! We'll see how it goes once I catch up to today, in three more books.

Raul the Third's art is distinctive and a little disconcerting. When animals take the place of people and have pets it feels creepy. Scarry also disconcerts me. Favorite moment: seeing the Freida Kahlo marionette, tiny paint brush in hand. Great for young kids learning Spanish in school or in communities with a large Latinx population.

Library copy
Read
September 15, 2022
This book is bilingual and focuses on Bernabe and his dog, Little Lobo as they go to the market and sell items to vendors, but also as he buys items from vendors. I thought the way Spanish was integrated into this book was so cool. It includes phrases in Spanish and even has hidden names of items in Spanish. At the end of the book, you can find a Spanish dictionary that translates all those phrases into English.
As usual, the illustrations are what get me. This book was so different because it felt like a retro comic book, except not in comic book form. There was so much to look at, especially if it was a scene of the town and finding the Spanish name for things was super fun.
This would be a great book for students that want to learn Spanish, students that are bilingual, or one to read during a lesson about heritage. I would for sure have this in my classroom because I feel that students would have as much fun reading it as I did.
Profile Image for Sarah.
343 reviews18 followers
December 19, 2019
LOVED the pictures and the two languages. They are honestly perfect for the text and characters. The story is a little dull and it's definitely not a good choice for reading out loud to a group of kiddos because the pictures are too busy and the words don't flow for that format.
Profile Image for Shannon.
522 reviews29 followers
April 6, 2021
Little Lobo and his pup Bernabé make important deliveries all over town and teach readers some Spanish along the way. Classic illustrations. Little Lobo might even get to meet his hero, El Toro!
325 reviews
February 3, 2022
They say never meet your heroes, but if your hero is a luchadore named El Toro, I say go for it.
Profile Image for Jessica.
1,504 reviews21 followers
February 11, 2020
Really interesting story about the day in the life of a delivery fox. The pictures are a story into themselves. There is a vocabulary page for Spanish in the back. The illustrations are very busy and interesting.
Profile Image for Jane.
844 reviews12 followers
November 5, 2019
This picture book is written in graphic novel style. Raul the Third includes many Spanish words in the text which would make this a great addition to a Spanish/English classroom. I appreciated the fact that there is a glossary at the back for some of the words. Many of the Spanish words are defined within the text or are labels for pictures but not all of them.
The illustrations have an Hispanic feel to them which is very appropriate for the text of the book.
I would not hesitate to add Vamos! Let’s Go to the Market to my K-12 Christian School library. I will be including it in my Mock Caldecott unit later this fall.
I borrowed a copy of Vamos! Let’s Go to the Market from my local public library. This is my honest review.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 227 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.