Start by marking “White Rose” as Want to Read:
White Rose

White Rose

Disillusioned by the propaganda of Nazi Germany, Sophie Scholl, her brother, and his fellow soldiers formed the White Rose, a group that wrote and distributed anonymous letters criticizing the Nazi regime and calling for action from their fellow German citizens. The following year, Sophie and her brother were arrested for treason and interrogated for information about thei ...more
Expected publication: April 2nd 2019 by Versify

To ask other readers questions about White Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Rose

Mackenzi
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous. Blurb to come.
Teresa
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
4.5

Thank you NetGalley, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group, and Kip Wilson for the opportunity to read an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What initially drew me to this book wasn't necessarily the description of the book itself, but the fact that it is written in poetic form. As an Ellen Hopkins fan, I love reading works written in a poetry style. The problem is, some authors nail the craft, and some are just not good. Great news: Kip Wilson's poetic form is
Jennieke Cohen
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Those of us who love historical fiction love it in no small part because of its ability to illuminate the past through the lens of the time it was written. Kip Wilson's powerful debut novel feels ridiculously relevant to our times, and she manages to do it all in verse! Her strong heroine comes of age in the midst of an evil regime and still stands up for her conscience and becomes part of the resistance. This real girl has something to teach all of us about not staying silent.
Natasha Diaz
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Through Wilson's caring and lyrical verse, we meet Sophie Scholl, a German young woman who chose to fight back against Hitler's reign, putting herself and her family at risk. White Rose teaches us not to be complacent and instead to stand up for equal rights, to remain vigilant, and to listen to your instincts even if the people around you disapprove. White Rose is a timely and important book, especially for young people right now in America.
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That the world will see
and the world will know
and the world
will
make
them
stop

White Rose is based on the true story of Sophie Scholl, a young woman in Germany, who took a stand against the Reich during World War II. Sophie often thinks of University and her handsome German soldier, but as the confusing events in her community lead to the atrocities of World War II she knows that she must make a stand. To stay quiet is to be complicit. She will open her fellow citizen’s eyes…no matter the cost.

I
Samantha Hastings
A beautifully written free-verse poetry book about the story of three German resistance fighters from the group, the White Rose. Told primarily from Sophie Scholl’s perspective and begins literally at THE END when Sophie is being interrogated by the Nazi gestapo.

The background is told in flashback sections that give depth and meaning to the characters. The White Rose made leaflets about the true horrors of the Hitler Nazi regime and encouraged Germans to rise up against it.

The writing style gi
Meghan
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
White Rose is proof that a lot can be said by saying less. White Rose sends a powerful message of Sophie and her friends forming this group to survive Nazi Germany and even when Sophie and her brother get captured and charged for treason, she still remains brave and fighting for justice against Nazi Germany. The book was so deep and powerful and written so uniquely brilliant that we could not put this down and we know a lot of our patrons will be interested in the book.

Chris Baron
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The White Rose captures the true story of Sophie Scholl, a young woman in Germany, who took a stand against the Reich. This YA novel in verse dives into some of the most terrifying waters of history. Reading about how Sophie comes of age, inside and out, in the middle of one of the most evil times in history, is a relevant and moving example that is so incredibly important today. By the end, I felt so close to these characters—so connected.

The poetry is tight, well-crafted, and the images evoke
Gillian
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got an ARC of this book and cannot say enough how much I loved it. I really enjoyed the way this book was written in verse. I felt it made it even more powerful in certain areas where it emphasized powerful thoughts that Sophie had. While I knew many Germans didn’t agree with what was going on at this time, it was really eye opening to see how a young girl, a teenager, decided to fight back and stand up for what was right. I hadn’t heard of the White Rose Rebellion before this book. After read ...more
Becky
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a powerful one! I LOVED it so much. It's a retelling by the author, Kip Wilson, of the life of Sophie Scholl.
Sophie knew the Nazi regime was wrong and she couldn't just stand by and do nothing. She , along with her brother, formed a nonviolent resistance group, The White Rose. This book is their story...mostly Sophie's.
It's beautifully written and utterly devastating.
I received a copy of this from netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Hannah
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC at YALL Fest! For some reason, I sadly had never heard of Sophie or the White Rose before this book. This is the second novel I've read in verse, and this one resonated with me much more than the first. Powerful, sad, hopeful...I'd definitely pick this one up. It's a quick read, but now I want to go learn more about the White Rose Resistance.
Mary
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've loved Sophie Scholl since I first read about her as a young teen, and I've been waiting for a book like this - accessible to teens, told thoroughly and unflinchingly, and a true tribute to Sophie's courage and integrity.
Even though I'm very familiar with the historical events of Scholl's life, the book captivated me. Taut, lyrical, and haunting. This is a book I won't forget.
Mara Rutherford
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful YA novels I've ever read. I didn't know if I liked novels in verse before I read WHITE ROSE, but this one was so well done it made my cry. This should be required reading in every high school. I can't recommend it enough.
Angela
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in one sitting. Couldn't put it down. Written in verse, it tells the true story of Sophie, her brother and their friends who refuse to do nothing in the face of Nazi atrocities. I couldn't be more impressed with this extraordinary debut
Katherine Locke
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review tk
Michelle Glatt
Powerful verse novel that brings heart to Sophie Scholl's story.
Shari
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So lucky to have read an early version of this incredible story! Can't wait to read it again when it comes out!
Amanda
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come. ❤ ...more
rachel
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beta-read
Read an early draft, and the writing was so incredible. Can't wait to read a finished copy.
Nicole
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nov-18, arc, 2018-novel
Copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Review to come soon!
Josie Reeve
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story White Rose, by Kip Wilson is an elegantly written book about a resistance movement that took place in Nazi Germany. This book is written in verse, which made the book very smooth and poetic.

While White Rose is told from multiple points of view, it primarily centers around the main character, Sophie Scholl. Sophie is growing up in Nazi Germany, and while her family is not directly persecuted like so many others of the time, her family deeply upset by the direction their country has tak
Kristina
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10/5 stars for sure! this book was amazing, so amazing it’s now on my all time favorites list! This is an incredibly sad and moving collection of poetry. I was initially worried about reading a novel in poem form, turned out great I don’t think it would have been the same story without that format. I really enjoyed the little poems from other points of view.
I was so moved by this story, I had never really learned about it, although the name Sophie scholl was familiar to me. Although the poems t
USOM
Dec 24, 2018
Becky
Jan 17, 2019
Ashley Hawkins
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good book, and I look forward to sharing it with students. The prose is very well done, and the historical elements are faithful.
Kim Guidone
Nov 14, 2018
Sarah Avallone
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book reminded me of The Watch that Ends the Night because of the various perspectives it seemed to weave in. There are not a huge number of books written about the Holocaust in free verse, so that also makes this title very appealing. It presented a really interesting aspect of the Holocaust: the resistance by exploring the various events and carefully crafting images that allowed readers to feel as if they were a part of the story.
Elizabeth Hollar
Dec 24, 2018
Linda Honour
Dec 31, 2018
Kip Wilson is the author of White Rose, a YA novel-in-verse about anti-Nazi political activist Sophie Scholl. White Rose won the 2017 PEN New England Susan P. Bloom Children's Book Discovery Award and is a 2019 Winter/Spring Indies Introduce title. It's coming on April 2, 2019 with HMH’s Versify imprint. Kip holds a Ph.D. in German Literature, is the poetry editor at YARN (Young Adult Review Netwo ...more