Start by marking “White Rose” as Want to Read:
White Rose

White Rose

A gorgeous and timely novel based on the incredible story of Sophie Scholl, a young German college student who challenged the Nazi regime during World War II as part of The White Rose, a non-violent resistance group.

Disillusioned by the propaganda of Nazi Germany, Sophie Scholl, her brother, and his fellow soldiers formed the White Rose, a group that wrote and distributed
Published April 2nd 2019 by Versify

To ask other readers questions about White Rose, please sign up.
Isabel This is a young adult book, but it has no language or inappropriate scenes for middle grade readers. The reading level would probably be about 6th gra…moreThis is a young adult book, but it has no language or inappropriate scenes for middle grade readers. The reading level would probably be about 6th grade and up.(less)

Start your review of White Rose
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was pretty average for me. I thought that combining two things I don't read a lot of (historical fiction and books written in verse) would be a really exciting way to approach the story, but I ultimately just ended up feeling like I didn't get enough time in the story or with the characters to appreciate everything that happened.
Mackenzi
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous. Blurb to come.
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, via Edelweiss+ for an honest review.

RESPONSE

Which is good
Because I have
Plenty
To say.

If you want to know what true beauty, conviction, bravery and strength looks like….read this book.
White Rose is the rebellion story that begs to be witnessed.

White Rose is the story of how a young German student, Sophie Scholl, became part of an an
David Schaafsma
The White Rose was a German non-violent student resistance group that protested against the Nazi regime for a few years in the 1940s. The group mainly conducted an anonymous leaflet and graffiti campaign.

There are now many books about the group, many of which focus on Sophie Scholl, the younger sister of Hans, and his University of Munich Professor Kurt Huber, all of whom were executed for treason in resisting and defaming the Nazi state.

I'm reading it wi
Teresa
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
4.5

Thank you NetGalley, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group, and Kip Wilson for the opportunity to read an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What initially drew me to this book wasn't necessarily the description of the book itself, but the fact that it is written in poetic form. As an Ellen Hopkins fan, I love reading works written in a poetry style. The problem is, some authors nail the craft, and some are just not good. Great news: Kip Wilson's poetic form is
TL
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tried a few times to write something down only to erase it. Still not quite sure what to say here.

This is my second experience with a novel in verse. The first experience didn't go so well so I was wary of trying one again and probably wouldn't have picked this up for awhile if it had been for it being included in my Second Star book box and seeing it being praised on Instagram.

This is a tragic but powerful story beautifully told. Its a shame more people don't know about Sophie and the White Ro
Jillian Reynolds (Jillian Loves Books)
I will read this over and over again.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Wow okay so this was my first book written in verse.

I was lucky enough to go to Berlin for school in 2012 where I got to visit the Sophie and Hans memorial. It's small but just important so I'd suggest going if you get the opportunity.

It's disappointing how few people know about what Sophie and the White Rose resistance did. It's disappointing that their deaths weren't a catalyst for change. It's disappointing our world is circling back to Nazi's being a thing because apparently, we learnt fuck
mindful.librarian ☀️
✨ Fabulous historical fiction verse novel - based on a true story about Sophie Scholl and the real German resistance group White Rose during WWII. So glad I picked it up (and finished it!) this afternoon 😊 The messages about standing up against injustice and being the voice for those who are too frightened are timeless.
I believe this is technically YA but IMO totally fine for all middle school and even mature younger students. 1 vague mention of sexual activity and the usual and unavoidable hor
Allison
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-arcs
This is a really meaningful book told in verse. It does not have a happy ending, and although I was kind of sad (I usually like books with happy endings), I really couldn’t see the book going any other way for it to still be as meaningful and realistic. I liked how the story was told in verses and I found it more interesting. However, I found that the random changes in perspective were kind of confusing but they were readable. The changes between past and present were good from a storytelling vi ...more
Katie.dorny
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
A fascinating part of history I did not know about but a story that left me detached from the characters themselves.

Now, I love books in verse they are my JAM however this one just left me feeling completely skewered from the story itself. I was reading it without absorbing a lot nor picking up enough about the secondary characters to build any sort of emotional connection to them.

Our main character Sophie is very vividly portrayed but even then we are rushed through every aspect of her life;
Jade Melody
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I remember reading the description for this book a few months ago and being interested in it. Then a month or so after that seeing it in a bookstore, but deciding that I wasn't going to purchase it. Then it seemingly disappeared off of my radar; I never saw it on Goodreads or at Barnes & Noble. But after returning to college and going to back to one of my favorite places, the public library, it seemingly made its way back into my life.

Yes I had read this description and was int
Liza Wiemer
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHITE ROSE was phenomenal. The novel is inspired by the true story of Sophie Schnoll, a brave young woman who desperately wanted her fellow Germans during Hitler’s rule to recognize the madness consuming her beloved country. Beautifully written in free verse poetry, this fast-paced, courageous novel gives voice to the evil of fascism when the world turns a deaf ear. Have courage, my dear friends to like yourself for who you are and in a world so desperate for morality, hold on tight to integrity ...more
jessica ☾
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beautiful-covers
Wow ok, I bought this because I thought the cover was cute and DID NOT ask for this level of heartbreak. Even more absolutely tragic being that it’s a true story, my only big issue was the writing style. I would’ve preferred a more traditional novel setup over the abstract poem-ish vibe it had.
Em
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars!
Natalia
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"May we all be as noble one day"
I honestly don't know where to begin. Reading this book was an experience. The fact that Kip Wilson chose verse to portray a story like this is still fascinating me. I was honestly skeptical but I felt more rushed, more on my toes, more sense of urgency reading the pages in this way. Urgent is what this book is so the choice was genius.

This book tells the story of a Nazi resistance group called White Rose, a group that was brave enough to mail leaflets and share w
Laura Gardner
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“We have a duty to share the truth with the masses." How far are you willing to go to fulfill that duty? Sophie Scholl gave her life in the attempt to share the truth with people in Germany during World War II. Her story, beautifully written by Kip Wilson, is the subject of White Rose, a must-purchase novel in verse for middle school and high school libraries.

Sophie Scholl was a member of the White Rose, a secret resistance group in Nazi Germany that strove to organize against Hitler's regime. H
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

White Rose by Kip Wilson is absolutely stunning novel in verse about the life of Sophie Scholl. Scholl was an anti-Nazi political activist and pamphleteer with the non-violent resistance group called the White Rose. The detail and research that has gone into presenting her story and the story of the group is amazing. It's also quite gut-wrenching to read considering that I already knew her fate before going into the story. While n
Whitney
It was ok but the story didn’t suck me in as much as I hoped. Usually I really like books written in verse but this one just didn’t work for me. I wanted to know more of the history and the backstory and that was lost in the poetic form of the book.
Blair
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gr9-sem-2
Wonderful.

Normally novels in verse have many, many overused craft moves that supposedly add to the meaning or power of the words or moment, and this was no exception, but I feel that it is very easily overlooked because of this: this book, along with only one other novel in verse I can think of (October Mourning), has a plot+setting that deserved and needed this kind of writing.

Set in WWII, every moment was filled with power and emotion, which fit perfectly with everything this book had to of
Priya
This book displayed bravery, strength, and was frankly, just beautiful. The White Rose is a Non-violent German partisan group, made up of students that protested against Hitler and the Nazi regime for a couple of years during the 1940's. I would recommend this book to people who like non-violent books about war, conflict, and struggle. Most of all, this book was written in verse, so if you're fond of this book, it will go by fairly quickly.
Beatrice
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verse isn’t my prefered method of storytelling, but I did enjoy it in this one. Though this, of course, is a bit of a mix between reality and fiction, I think the author did a good job portraying Sophie Scholl as the living, breathing person that she was.
Ursula
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was gonna be a three star book because I didn’t really connect with it, but Imma bump it up to 3.5 because I didn’t know this was like low key nonfiction and that makes me like it a lot more :)
C.P. Cabaniss
*I received an ARC of this novel at Yallfest 2018.*

I have only read one or two novels written in verse and I don't think the style is for me. I don't tend to hold details in my head as much when reading this format. I got better at it as I read this one, because I started thinking about it in a different way, but it still didn't hit me as hard as something like this might have had it been written differently.

One thing that I liked a lot about this was the constant shift between The End and Befo
BookNightOwl
Even though it says based on a true story I must have missed that when I started this book. I really enjoyed reading something that I never heard about but have been reading historic fiction and nonfiction for years.
This book is written in verse and it's about the White Rose group made up of German University Students who distributes pamphlets that speak out against Hitler's regime. The students were made up of one woman and the rest men.
4🌟🌟🌟🌟
Ellie Terry
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved everything about this YA historical verse novel: the intriguing true story of a young heroine, the beautiful writing, and the raw emotion on every page. Will definitely read again.
Jenni Walsh
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book. It's about a young (real life) German girl, Sophie Scholl who acted as a pampleteer in the White Rose resistance against Hitler, the Nazi party, the Third Reich. What a powerful premise. However, I had hesitations to read. Not because of that very alluring subject matter, but because the novel is written in verse and... that intimidated me⁣
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⁣
I wrote poetry in my adolescent days, but I don't believe i've written it, studied it, or read it since college. I was nervous the s
Chris Heffernan
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I normally don’t enjoy books written in verse, this was outstanding. White Rose tells the story of Sophie Scholl, a German girl standing up for what’s right in WWII. A well written piece about a little known hero of the war.
Selene

• Under the Broken Sky
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • Kent State
  • Clean Getaway
Kip Wilson is the author of White Rose, a YA novel-in-verse about anti-Nazi political activist Sophie Scholl published by HMH’s Versify imprint. White Rose won the 2017 PEN New England Susan P. Bloom Children's Book Discovery Award, is a 2019 Winter/Spring Indies Introduce and Spring Indie Next title, and received three starred reviews. Kip holds a Ph.D. in German Literature, is the poetry editor ...more