Start by marking “Shelley, the Hyperactive Turtle” as Want to Read:
Shelley, the Hyperactive Turtle

Shelley, the Hyperactive Turtle

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Shelley the turtle has a very hard time sitting still, even for short periods of time. During a visit to the doctor, Shelley learns that he is hyperactive, and that he can take medicine every day to control his wiggly feeling. With help from his doctor and love from his family, Shelley feels much better about himself.
Published October 1st 1989 by Woodbine House

To ask other readers questions about Shelley, the Hyperactive Turtle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shelley, the Hyperactive Turtle

Anna
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exceptionalities
This book is about poor Shelly the turtle who wiggles and runs and spins on his turtle shell. Shelly is a hyperactive turtle, he is not like the other turtles since he can't sit still, he can be careless with his toys and breaks things, and he is always in trouble.
Shelly is sad becuase he seems to always be in trouble and doesn't have friends since ither turtles see him as naughty. BUT, one day he goes to see a doctor and he says he has ADHD and he just needs to take medicine and he will be abl
Gabby
Feb 08, 2015 added it
As Shelley goes through his days, he has trouble staying still and paying attention in school and at home. He often gets in trouble for being too rowdy and breaking things. He can’t seem to act the way he should even though he desperately wants to be a good turtle. His parents worry about him and take him to the doctor only to find out that Shelly has AD/HD. He goes to therapy and takes medication to help him, and he becomes a generally well behaved, good little turtle.

While the title suggests
Bethany Ruccolo
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was not as strange (or seemingly helpful) as I thought it would be. I'm not sure if a special needs child could relate to this, but it's not even laughably bad.
Arsenio Richardson
This book does have a nice square shape but is a little smaller than many books I have chosen. When a book is small I get the feeling it may be for a younger child. The book does not have a book jacket which would mean it is for a older or more advanced child. The title is also an indication that the book is little more advanced just because it uses the word “hyperactive” many kids will not be familiar with that word. The cover is very detailed and in-depth. They used paints and oils which gave ...more
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic kids' book to help ADHD children relate to their experience. I particularly liked the parts where Shelley goes to a therapist since we are doing that right now with Alex, and I also like how the author talked a lot about Shelley's feelings. I bought this since we loved it so much to keep in our library.
Samantha
A great book to ease the anxiety of young kids who have ADHD. It helps them know they are not alone and what it is like going through the diagnosis problem and that they are NOT BAD-there are people around who can help them.
Abbi Kraus
I love this book because I can use it to show a classroom how some people just can't sit still without telling the class that there is something "different" about them. This would be great to read if your class didn't understand or were annoyed by someone's hyperactivity.
Roxanne Koopman
This is a good story to use with students who have signs of ADD, ADHD. The turtle will relate to them very well.
Laneika Cason
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
PB15. A great book that many children with ADD/ADHD can relate to. It can also help to explain to children what a classmate or friend may feel when they can't quite control their actions.
Rebekah
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Could have been better, but I suppose for students needing explicit instruction, it's just what they need to help them feel better about a recent diagnosis of ADD/ADHD
Shelley
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: disabilities
This is a story about a turtle who is hyperactive. After going to the doctor and getting medicine he is doing much better. This is a good book to help students understand ADD and ADHD.
Porter Merriman