Start by marking “Between the Lines (New Milton #2)” as Want to Read:
Between the Lines (New Milton #2)

Between the Lines

(New Milton #2)

Theo Wishart has given up on finding love.

Luca Moretti doesn’t want to find it.

A handful of summer days may change their lives forever—if they’re brave enough to look between the lines.

Eyes might be windows to the soul, but for Theo Wishart they’re all shuttered. His dyspraxia makes it hard to read people. He doesn’t do relationships and he certainly doesn’t do the
Published December 10th 2018 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Between the Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between the Lines

Start your review of Between the Lines (New Milton #2)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

With this book, Sally Malcolm has proven that she can hold her own in the M/M romance arena. She's clearly an accomplished writer and has a flair for language.

Between the Lines is set in the same world as Perfect Day. We're even invited to Joshua and Finn's wedding! However, this book, which is not based on an Austen novel, can be read as a standalone.

Theo arrives in New Milton ready to prove himself to his successful hotelier father. The Majestic is a grand hotel owned by the Moretti
☆ Todd
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

Strike another one in the *WIN* column for Sally Malcolm. After really enjoying "Perfect Day", I had high hopes for this story and wasn't disappointed.

Theo was a bit of a persnickety oddball right from the start, but I immediately loved him, though, I think his overall strangeness could've been pumped up a few notches. And his dyspraxia was rarely even touched upon in the story, actually.

But Luca was the MC that I connected most closely with in the book, though. Yes, he could be a bit of a
Judith
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it

Another enjoyable story by Sally Malcolm with engaging characters in a quaint small town setting.If you've read Perfect Day by this Author you'll be familiar with the town and some of the characters.

Luca Moretti is a bit of a free spirit,not one to be tied down to any place or anyone.He's back in his home town after five years to try and persuade his mother not to sell the place he used to call home....the ageing Majestic Hotel.His mother,Jude,feels she doesn't have much option other than
Nazanin
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, m-m
4.5 Stars

Well, it’s official! This author became one of my fave authors! Her books are really awesome! She definitely can write! Love her writing! She writes in such a way that you can feel, feel everything! This story is so emotional, intense and a bit angsty! All the elements that I like in a book! She can create characters that you can’t not love them! Theo was full of heart, brave and simply amazing (and he has a disability but it doesn't play a huge part of the story). Luca was a bit too
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

Between the Lines was my first book by Sally Malcolm, but it certainly won't be the last (well, mostly because I already own two of her other books! I'm a hoarder!). Despite a few issues I had with the story, I really enjoyed it and think that Sally Malcolm did a very nice job.

I love, love, love a MC with some type of disability, and I was very excited to read about a MC with dyspraxia. The depiction of Theo's dyspexia felt real and extremely well-done, and I wasn't at all surprised
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
4.5

It happened again. Except this time my face leaked a lil.

Seriously, who and where in the hell did this Sally Malcolm person come from? She's gone 3 for 3!

It's her penchant for the enemies to lovers trope and the masterful way she builds tension that appeals but the way she wields words to craft characters and create the atmosphere of this sleepy little Long Island town that hits my feels with laser-like precision every time that's landed her on my auto-author list with lightening speed.

This
Ele
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

I had a hard time rating this one. I struggled a lot because, although I really enjoyed the story, my complaints were too many for me to round up. In any case, Between the Lines proves that Sally Malcolm is a new a force to be reckoned with in MM, and an author I'm definitely interested in.

The writing is absolutely beautiful. I like the dialogue but I love the prose. Not flowery but not too sharp either, just very evocative. Perfect for this type of slow burning, sweet romance. I
Jassy
**4.5 stars**

Between the Lines is the first book I’ve read by this author and I didn’t know what to expect in terms of writing style but also plotwise. Let me just say… it totally took me by surprise.
The writing style is very, very good – fluent and funny.
The blurb makes sense in retrospect but when I first read it I didn’t get the right feeling what the actual story is. So I will try to sum it up: Luca has left home because his mother decided to marry a homophobic guy. He should have
Zuzu
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, lgbtq

This story was about 2 guys - 1 who never thought he'd have an HEA and the other who thought he didn't need one.

I liked this book but didn't love it because I felt like there were some unresolved issues.

Luca didn't ever resolve the issue he had with his mother, Jude, marrying someone who had homophobic tendencies. Luca felt his mother betrayed him when she married Don and I never felt like this issue was resolved between them even though the story tried to make it seem that way.

I also
Caz
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Between the Lines is another emotionally satisfying and beautifully crafted romance from the pen of Sally Malcolm, and is a wonderful follow-up to both Perfect Day and Love Around the Corner, both of which are also set in the fictional Long Island resort of New Milton. This novel is set a few months after the events of Perfect Day (and I loved the glimpses we were afforded of Josh and Finn at their wedding), and is an enemies-to-lovers romance between two men from vastly different backgrounds ...more
Fabi
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has the most accurate blurb I've ever seen.

I'd never heard of dyspraxia prior to this book. It's amazing the things we learn about reading romance novels. As the author herself says, their greatest draw has always been and continues to be, that they show us that happily-ever-afters are for everyone.

Us romance readers love to read about characters who overcome obstacles to find their true love. For me, it's never more poignant than when a character struggles with a disability and finds
Bookreader87(Amanda)
3.5 Stars

Luca has been away from what he use to know as home for 5 years. Ever since his mother remarried he has not found a reason to return to the Majestic, the hotel his mother owns. However, news his mother is selling brings him back. He may not be around, for good reasons in my opinion, but the Majestic means a lot to him.

Theo is put to the task of convincing the owner's of the Majestic to sell. When he arrives to the town of New Milton he doesn't expect there to be a family quarrel. What
Anke
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sample
This was simply wonderful!
CrabbyPatty
Theo is sent by his father to purchase the Majestic Hotel in New Milton, which will be torn down to make way for a sleek modern hotel / resort / golf course. Although owner Jude and her husband desperately need to sell, they hope that Theo will get a sense of why the Majestic is so special and invite him to stay there while negotiating the sale.

Jude's son Luca (who we met very briefly in "A Perfect Day") is at the Majestic this one last summer as a lifeguard and teaching surfing and boarding.
Melissa
A complimentary copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

LOVED THIS! Such a well written story with real characters and genuine feelings and situations. Sally Malcolm wrote a five star romance (see what I did there? This is about a hotel, which are given star ratings, and so are books. ;) ).

I felt very connected to Theo because of his dyspraxia. I've never heard of dyspraxia, and before Theo explained to Luca what life was like for him as a result, I
Lily
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance, so-cute, arc
2D6D172A-5F94-4516-A8BE-D3A99C83E577.gif

Just like the previous book I’ve read by this author, this book had me completely charmed. The atmosphere, the prose, the setting, the characters, they all made this story so lovely and captivating.

The story take us back to New Milton, and to the town’s beautiful hotel, the Majestic. But even though it’s beautiful, it also suffers from major neglect, and therefore, lack of guests. Basically, it’s losing money, which makes the owner, Jude, consider selling it.

Theo Wishart would very much like to
Skirmish
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Book Reaction: http://neverhollowed.tumblr.com/tagge...
Rating: 4 Stars - minor quibbles but I loved it to bits

I received a copy of Between The Lines from Carina Press via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Alisa
This author is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. This is set in the same town as Perfect Day and if you've read that (which you should do because it's fantastic) you'll be happy to see some cameos of Finn and Josh in this one.

Luca is back in town because his mother is planning to sell their family home which is also a hotel. He's upset at her choice but does not want to take it over himself because he's hurt and angry at his mother for marrying a man who's religion is not accepting of Luca's
Ricardo
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Received a free copy from NetGalley

What a fabulous, fantastic, magical reading. This felt like an old fashioned fairy tale, with so much romance in it that I felt at times like my heart was going to burst. There is angst, but it’s not the bad kind, the fabricated faked kind, this was real conflict, this was organic, this simply felt real.

I’m not a humongous fan of the “enemies to lovers” subgenre but this book, boys and girls, is how a truly talented author writes a winning story. The language
Andrea
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ALL THE STARS! I need this author to write more (pretty please!), because the two books I have read by her so far were just wonderful! If you like your romance character-driven, without any pointless drama, and only one believable conflict that needs to be overcome (and is so by being sensible and, yes, communication!), go give this author a try!

"Nine days of summer fun and that's all."

When Theo literally stumbles into Luca's live, neither is prepared -or even willing- to make room for even the
Roberta Blablanski
Confession time: Characters who start off completely against love and relationships, and then have an epiphany because of the main love interest usually aren't my cup of tea. I'm cynical and jaded. It takes a lot to convince me one person can completely change someone so drastically. In Between the Lines, Malcolm knocks this trope out of the ballpark. I was rooting for Luca and Theo with every fiber of my being.

If you've read Perfect Day by Malcolm, you may remember Luca being very briefly
Em Wittmann
This review originally appeared at All About Romance. I gave Between the Lines an 'A.'

I had mixed feelings about the New Milton book that precedes this one, Perfect Day, Ms. Malcolm’s take on Jane Austen’s Persuasion. I liked it, but not as much as our reviewer did. So it’s a bit ironic that reading Between the Lines, its loosely-linked follow-up, provided me with a perfect day. Strong writing, an engaging story, and superbly rendered principal characters kept me engrossed from the first page to
Kirstin
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you just need a really sweet story where things work out and Love is found and no one dies and hope is realized.

That is exactly what this story was about.

Letting yourself fall and hope someone will catch you, even though you’ve been dropped before.

This was a great story of a family legacy that was in desperate need of fixing up with no one able to do it, yet selling felt unbearable.

And Luca, who had planned on inheriting the hotel one day was stuck in the middle. He’d run into Theo
Bibliophile
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A nice edition to this series. :)
Riina Y.T.
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-for-review
I enjoyed reading Between the Lines but find it very difficult to review. I'm hovering somewhere between a 3 and 4 stars, mostly because the pacing and length got in the middle of my enjoyment with the story. The book is very slow, the storytelling fantastic. The plot fell a little flat for me but the romance is very sweet, kinda mellow and almost drama free.

Overall the story felt a bit long. There were a few times when events were too slow for me, scenes dragged and some even seemed unneeded to
Bev
Beautifully written again by Sally, but I just couldn't warm to Luca...he was a complete arse IMHO. He behaved like a spoiled brat for most of the read; I also didn't have a very high opinion at all of Luca's mum and her homophobic husband - how could you marry someone who felt the way he does about gay people [engrained it may've been, but that shouldn't mean you can't form an opinion of your own...unless you are and always will be a lemming of course ] when your own son is gay??

Theo...I
Renée

Everything I both loved and didn't like was better said by Ele right here.
Joyfully Jay
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Sally Malcolm offers a story of two men that, despite their prickly exteriors, is on the sweet side. Theo arrives to the small beach town and has something to prove. He needs to make this deal to show his father, who is his boss, that he can handle it. Theo has a neurological disorder called dyspraxia that makes some things in his life more challenging. While Theo does sometimes wish certain things were easier for him, this story is not about him trying to overcome
Mike Oaks
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Grand gestures

Paraphrasing what Jude told Theo in the book...read a few pages and you’ll fall in love with the story. For me it wasn’t too angsty until the scene after Theo’s visits Jude on his way out of town. I felt some connection with all the characters. I cared about the ending. Wasn’t too difficult to figure it out, but I still wanted to read it happen. 3.75 for assistants named Miranda.
Anyta Sunday
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sally Malcolm just has the most beautiful knack of writing slow burn romance. Highly recommend!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)
  • Cowboy Seeks Husband
  • Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Rough Terrain (Out of Uniform, #7)
  • Summerfield's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #2)
  • 3 Dates
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Shrewd Angel
  • Christmas Angel (The Christmas Angel, #1)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers #2)
  • The Magician's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #3)
  • Milo (Finding Home, #2)
  • Better Not Pout
  • One Step Back
  • Devil in the Details (Death and the Devil, #1.8)
  • Adam Only (Those Other Books #2)
Sally Malcolm was bitten by the m/m romance bug in 2016 and hasn’t looked back. It’s fair to say she’s obsessed with the genre. She has four contemporary m/m romances out, set in the fictional Long Island seaside town of New Milton.

She's also the author of eight Stargate novels and novellas, including the hit "Apocalypse" trilogy. She has penned four Stargate audio dramas for Big Finish

New Milton (4 books)
  • Perfect Day (New Milton #1)
  • Love Around the Corner (New Milton #1.5)
  • Twice Shy (New Milton #3)