Start by marking “Between the Lines” as Want to Read:
Between the Lines

Between the Lines

(New Milton #2)

Theo Wishart has given up on finding love.

Luca Moretti doesn’t want to find it.

A handful of summer days may change their lives forever—if they’re brave enough to look between the lines.

Eyes might be windows to the soul, but for Theo Wishart they’re all shuttered. His dyspraxia makes it hard to read people. He doesn’t do relationships and he certainly doesn’t do the grea
Kindle Edition
Published December 10th 2018 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Between the Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between the Lines

Judith
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it

Another enjoyable story by Sally Malcolm with engaging characters in a quaint small town setting.If you've read Perfect Day by this Author you'll be familiar with the town and some of the characters.

Luca Moretti is a bit of a free spirit,not one to be tied down to any place or anyone.He's back in his home town after five years to try and persuade his mother not to sell the place he used to call home....the ageing Majestic Hotel.His mother,Jude,feels she doesn't have much option other than sellin
☆ Todd
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it

Strike another one in the *WIN* column for Sally Malcolm. After really enjoying "Perfect Day", I had high hopes for this story and wasn't disappointed.

Theo was a bit of a persnickety oddball right from the start, but I immediately loved him, though, I think his overall strangeness could've been pumped up a few notches. And his dyspraxia was rarely even touched upon in the story, actually.

But Luca was the MC that I connected most closely with in the book, though. Yes, he could be a bit of a sta
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

With this book, Sally Malcolm has proven that she can hold her own in the M/M romance arena. She's clearly an accomplished writer and has a flair for language.

Between the Lines is set in the same world as Perfect Day. We're even invited to Joshua and Finn's wedding! However, this book, which is not based on an Austen novel, can be read as a standalone.

Theo arrives in New Milton ready to prove himself to his successful hotelier father. The Majestic is a grand hotel owned by the Moretti fam
Ele
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

I had a hard time rating this one. I struggled a lot because, although I really enjoyed the story, my complaints were too many for me to round up. In any case, Between the Lines proves that Sally Malcolm is a new a force to be reckoned with in MM, and an author I'm definitely interested in.

The writing is absolutely beautiful. I like the dialogue but I love the prose. Not flowery but not too sharp either, just very evocative. Perfect for this type of slow burning, sweet romance. I usu
Zuzu
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, lgbtq

This story was about 2 guys - 1 who never thought he'd have an HEA and the other who thought he didn't need one.

I liked this book but didn't love it because I felt like there were some unresolved issues.

Luca didn't ever resolve the issue he had with his mother, Jude, marrying someone who had homophobic tendencies. Luca felt his mother betrayed him when she married Don and I never felt like this issue was resolved between them even though the story tried to make it seem that way.

I also w
Jassy
**4.5 stars**

Between the Lines is the first book I’ve read by this author and I didn’t know what to expect in terms of writing style but also plotwise. Let me just say… it totally took me by surprise.
The writing style is very, very good – fluent and funny.
The blurb makes sense in retrospect but when I first read it I didn’t get the right feeling what the actual story is. So I will try to sum it up: Luca has left home because his mother decided to marry a homophobic guy. He should have inherite
Fabi
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has the most accurate blurb I've ever seen.

I'd never heard of dyspraxia prior to this book. It's amazing the things we learn about reading romance novels. As the author herself says, their greatest draw has always been and continues to be, that they show us that happily-ever-afters are for everyone.

Us romance readers love to read about characters who overcome obstacles to find their true love. For me, it's never more poignant than when a character struggles with a disability and finds
CrabbyPatty
Theo is sent by his father to purchase the Majestic Hotel in New Milton, which will be torn down to make way for a sleek modern hotel / resort / golf course. Although owner Jude and her husband desperately need to sell, they hope that Theo will get a sense of why the Majestic is so special and invite him to stay there while negotiating the sale.

Jude's son Luca (who we met very briefly in "A Perfect Day") is at the Majestic this one last summer as a lifeguard and teaching surfing and boarding. L
Ricardo
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Received a free copy from NetGalley

What a fabulous, fantastic, magical reading. This felt like an old fashioned fairy tale, with so much romance in it that I felt at times like my heart was going to burst. There is angst, but it’s not the bad kind, the fabricated faked kind, this was real conflict, this was organic, this simply felt real.

I’m not a humongous fan of the “enemies to lovers” subgenre but this book, boys and girls, is how a truly talented author writes a winning story. The language w
Lily
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance, so-cute, arc
2D6D172A-5F94-4516-A8BE-D3A99C83E577.gif

Just like the previous book I’ve read by this author, this book had me completely charmed. The atmosphere, the prose, the setting, the characters, they all made this story so lovely and captivating.

The story take us back to New Milton, and to the town’s beautiful hotel, the Majestic. But even though it’s beautiful, it also suffers from major neglect, and therefore, lack of guests. Basically, it’s losing money, which makes the owner, Jude, consider selling it.

Theo Wishart would very much like to
Melissa
A complimentary copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

LOVED THIS! Such a well written story with real characters and genuine feelings and situations. Sally Malcolm wrote a five star romance (see what I did there? This is about a hotel, which are given star ratings, and so are books. ;) ).

I felt very connected to Theo because of his dyspraxia. I've never heard of dyspraxia, and before Theo explained to Luca what life was like for him as a result, I tho
Em
This review originally appeared at All About Romance. I gave Between the Lines an 'A.'

I had mixed feelings about the New Milton book that precedes this one, Perfect Day, Ms. Malcolm’s take on Jane Austen’s Persuasion. I liked it, but not as much as our reviewer did. So it’s a bit ironic that reading Between the Lines, its loosely-linked follow-up, provided me with a perfect day. Strong writing, an engaging story, and superbly rendered principal characters kept me engrossed from the first page to
Kirstin
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you just need a really sweet story where things work out and Love is found and no one dies and hope is realized.

That is exactly what this story was about.

Letting yourself fall and hope someone will catch you, even though you’ve been dropped before.

This was a great story of a family legacy that was in desperate need of fixing up with no one able to do it, yet selling felt unbearable.

And Luca, who had planned on inheriting the hotel one day was stuck in the middle. He’d run into Theo
Anke
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sample
This was simply wonderful!
Caz

Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Sally Malcolm offers a story of two men that, despite their prickly exteriors, is on the sweet side. Theo arrives to the small beach town and has something to prove. He needs to make this deal to show his father, who is his boss, that he can handle it. Theo has a neurological disorder called dyspraxia that makes some things in his life more challenging. While Theo does sometimes wish certain things were easier for him, this story is not about him trying to overcome
Isa Tis
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Between the lines" est un roman qui nous permet de faire un nouveau petit tour dans la ville balnéaire de New Milton que nous avions découverte dans Perfect Day. Si les deux romans peuvent parfaitement se lire en tant que standalone, ce serait dommage de ne pas respecter l’ordre de lecture car l’auteure nous une très belle surprise !

Bev
Beautifully written again by Sally, but I just couldn't warm to Luca...he was a complete arse IMHO. He behaved like a spoiled brat for most of the read; I also didn't have a very high opinion at all of Luca's mum and her homophobic husband - how could you marry someone who felt the way he does about gay people [engrained it may've been, but that shouldn't mean you can't form an opinion of your own...unless you are and always will be a lemming of course 😕] when your own son is gay??

Theo...I like
Tina
Utterly charming — review to come
Roberta Blablanski
Confession time: Characters who start off completely against love and relationships, and then have an epiphany because of the main love interest usually aren't my cup of tea. I'm cynical and jaded. It takes a lot to convince me one person can completely change someone so drastically. In Between the Lines, Malcolm knocks this trope out of the ballpark. I was rooting for Luca and Theo with every fiber of my being.

If you've read Perfect Day by Malcolm, you may remember Luca being very briefly menti
Riina Y.T.
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-for-review
I enjoyed reading Between the Lines but find it very difficult to review. I'm hovering somewhere between a 3 and 4 stars, mostly because the pacing and length got in the middle of my enjoyment with the story. The book is very slow, the storytelling fantastic. The plot fell a little flat for me but the romance is very sweet, kinda mellow and almost drama free.

Overall the story felt a bit long. There were a few times when events were too slow for me, scenes dragged and some even seemed unneeded to
Andrea
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ALL THE STARS! I need this author to write more (pretty please!), because the two books I have read by her so far were just wonderful! If you like your romance character-driven, without any pointless drama, and only one believable conflict that needs to be overcome (and is so by being sensible and, yes, communication!), go give this author a try!

"Nine days of summer fun and that's all."

When Theo literally stumbles into Luca's live, neither is prepared -or even willing- to make room for even the
Michelle
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The journey from enemies to lovers for Theo and Luca is an interesting one. Each has their own plans for the Majestic. But during a 9 day 'get to know you' they find love not only for each other but for the place itself.

There were times when it was just a lot of over explaining and (IMO) too many words that I actually skipped a bit of the description parts. But the dialog b/w the two flowed nicely. There was also a great lesson in listening to others and what is perceived to be and what actually
Renée

Everything I both loved and didn't like was better said by Ele right here.
Sophie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I adored Sally Malcolm's "Perfect Day", so I was eager to read her newest novel. And I'm happy to say I wasn't disappointed.

Set in the same town as "Perfect Day", this book focuses on the hotel of New Milton, the Majestic. While still beautiful, upkeep hasn't been what it should have been, and part of the reason for it is that Luca, the son of the owner, has been absent from New Milton for the last couple of years. When his mother is planning to sell to Lux Properties, a hotel chain, though, he
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

- Review to come

Ah, how much I loved it. <3 This sequel to Perfect Day is such a delight.
Sensitive and very cautious is Theo's disability explained (see author note for more information)
I loved the tiny drama aspect in the book, the low angst & the HEA - so, so good. <3

This book, as well as Perfect Day is slightly connected to Love Around the Corner, set in the same place, character from Perfect Days are
Agata Weronika
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
*NOTE: I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

There's a lot to love about this novel: the evocative prose, the quaint beach town setting, the tenderness between our heroes, the respectful & careful disability representation. However, I found the blatant homophobia coming from a family member of one of our heroes and the pressure to reconcile & forgive to be upsetting and distracting from the core of the story.

!SPOILERS AHEAD! CW: discussion of homophobia

(vi
Dísir
I remember—with loads of fondness—Sally Malcolm as an author whose SG-1 fanfic I binged on years and years ago, for her insight into emotion, human behaviour and characterisation. And well, to give me the HEA that I could always depend on her for when the show’s episodes let me down. I’m less familiar with Malcolm’s works within the official SG-1 published books, so reading ‘Between the Lines’—a different genre, a different type of fiction really—is like visiting an old friend’s familiar writing ...more
Isa Tis
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Between the lines est un roman qui nous permet de faire un nouveau petit tour dans la ville balnéaire de New Milton que nous avions découverte dans Perfect Day. Si les deux romans peuvent parfaitement se lire en tant que standalone, ce serait dommage de ne pas respecter l’ordre de lecture car l’auteure nous une très belle surprise !

Ce roman confirme mon faible pour l’écriture délicate de Sally Malcolm qui donne vie à une histoire aux ingrédients simples mais qui parvient malgré tout à nous empor
Bretton Coppedge
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a refreshing take on the traditional rich man meets poor working man romance. Typically, the rich man is a snob that is full of himself and generally plays hard to get. Instead, Theo despite being rich, is an adorable little cinnamon roll that you want to wrap in bubble wrap. It’s actually Luca that is kinda a snob and he definitely plays hard to get, all the way until the very end. Individually, I liked both Luca and Theo but I didn’t exactly think that they were that great together.

I
« previous 1 3 next »
Sally Malcolm was bitten by the m/m romance bug in 2016 and hasn’t looked back. It’s fair to say she’s obsessed with the genre. Her first m/m romance, "Perfect Day," will be published in 2018 by Carina Press with a follow-up out later in the year.

She's also the author of eight Stargate novels and novellas, including the hit "Apocalypse" trilogy. She has penned four Stargate audio dramas for Big F

New Milton (3 books)
  • Perfect Day (New Milton #1)
  • Love Around the Corner