Start by marking “Escaping Exile (Escape Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Escaping Exile (Escape Trilogy, #1)

Escaping Exile

(Escape Trilogy #1)

Andrew is a vampire from New Orleans, exiled to a tropical island in the 1800s as punishment for his human bloodlust. During a storm, a ship crashes off shore. After rescuing a sailor from the cannibals native to the land, Andrew becomes fascinated with his brilliant, beautiful new companion, Edmund.

Edmund is a British naturalist who has sailed the world seeking new speci
Published August 13th 2018 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about Escaping Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escaping Exile

Start your review of Escaping Exile (Escape Trilogy, #1)
Nazanin
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Andrew had a small house on a tropical island in the middle of the ocean, overrun with cannibals. He was exiled to spend eternity alone after his final slaughter. One night when he woke up there was a scent; something alive and it was bleeding…

Told in single POV, 1st person, it’s the first installment in the "Escape Trilogy". It’s a very short read, fast-paced, almost angst-free, an easy read and it contains flashbacks (but not so much). All in all, it was an enjoyable read and hope you
Shin Mon Thway
It’s extremely difficult to impress me with a vampire book. Seriously, I have read tons of them and I thought I have seen every possible vampire romance tropes. 😁 Yet, I was proven wrong. Sara Dobie Bauer’s Escaping Exile was like a fresh of breath air for my creativity-starved heart. 💙 It was a bit of the short side but packed with a very unconventional yet unique and intriguing storyline, very lifelike and vivid characters and a beautiful love story.

Andrew was a centuries-old ancient vampir
Deborah
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book was an absolute delight and way more than its 83 pages would suggest.

Andrew is a vampire stranded on a tropical island. His only human company the native cannibals. This changes when a ship crashes and Andrew finds a survivor before they do.
Edmund is at first glance a welcome meal but Andrew is lacking not only food but companionship. Through Edmund he learns to value human life and so much more.

While I found this book fascinating I have to say I didn’t particularly like either of the
Trio
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most unique vampire novels I’ve read, Sara Dobie Bauer’s wonderfully dark Escaping Exile is a thrilling surprise. Breathing new life into this classic genre isn’t easy, and with two more episodes on the horizon, I can’t wait to see where Ms. Bauer plans to take us in her Escape Trilogy!

Banished to a tropical island, with nothing but his thoughts to keep him company, Escaping Exile is Andrew’s story. Flawlessly written in the present tense, it’s easy to become immersed in Andrew’s imp
Truuss Loveislovereview
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, lgbtq
Andrew and Edmund

Ohhh goshh I loooove this read
I was immediately in love with the writing style. It slurped me in.
Very romantic, sexy as hell, erotic, sensual and with witty humor.
A mustread period!!

Andrew, a vampire of many centuries, lives alone on a island...on exile... not completely alone there are some canniballs. They don’t try to eat Andrew... because...

After a shipwreck Edmund lands on the beach of an almost desert island... and rescued by Andrew.

“God, he tasted like one hundred merry
Kazza
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, arc
I do enjoy vampires, especially if they have a dark side to their nature. Not every book delivers the darker side. However, this novella is an intriguing mix of sweet and sour. Light and dark. There are questions still to be answered but it was an interesting introduction to a trilogy.

The boy in New Orleans is barely a memory. A young prostitute, he seduced me with soft kisses. I killed him because I wanted to know what a sweet soul tasted like, but I don’t think I’ll kill Edmund.

I enjoyed A
haletostilinski
Meh.

That's how I feel after reading this. Just "meh."

It wasn't bad, the writing structure was good, but I didn't feel anything for Andrew or Edmund, or any chemistry between them. The sex was okay, but it wasn't as hot as I was expecting.

This is a short story, so not much happens. And I don't know how I feel about the natives of this island being cannibals and "barbarians." People in the 1800's would have thought them like that though, of course, but all the natives - not white people - were b
Gabi
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
If this would've been any other book, I would say it was too rushed. We didn't linger on thoughts, emotions or events too much (which should clue you in, that I'm left with questions), and usually I would complain. But the more I think about it, it might've turned out to be boring if it would've been more detailed. It actually flowed nicely, and I liked it.

However this rushed manner prevented me to feel their love for each other. I think it was more sexual attraction than anything else.

To me the
Lelyana
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a quiet tale. I had to adjusted to the author's writing style for a while., for this is my first book of this author. After that, the story was quite interesting. Definitely paranormal fantasy, because I found that Andrew is a vampire, and there's cannibals in the island :)
First part of the story, I need to finish all of the trilogy.
If you are looking for a different kind of reading, I suggest to try this book.
J. Bailey
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a very cool story. A very weird, but very cool story. I know that's maybe a strange way to start this, but that's seriously what went through my head as I read this novella. Ms. Bauer manages to pack a whole lot into less than 100 pages. And it's 100 percent because of the complexity of these two fascinating characters.

Andrew is a vampire who's been exiled on an island as punishment for one too many kills. He doesn't know where he's at--that's part of the punishment--and he's all alone
Dee Wy
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - A new author for me, but I will be watching for more. A vampire on an unknown island, alone in his exile from New Orleans. But the island is populated by zombies. What could go wrong? Well, it turns out a shipwrecked sailor washed up on the beach can make things very interesting. Loved the story and the stellar writing.
Suze Lavender
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s the beginning of the nineteenth century. Vampire Andrew is living on a tropical island, where he was sent after he went too far while feeding. His exile is boring and lonely. The only other people on the island are cannibals, a group he doesn’t want to have anything to do with. The highlight of his stay is a shipwreck. The cannibals capture everyone on the ship besides Edmund, an English aristocrat with a passion for dangerous animals. Will Edmund survive being stranded on an island ruled b ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Robinson Crusoe meets Dracula in this outstanding paranormal adventure. There are even cannibals as the innocent man who washes ashore on the island, Edmund Baines, is dragged away from danger to his “home” on the nearly deserted island. The problem is, as Edmund discovers when he awakens, that he may have been saved from one danger to be plunged into another.

It’s amazing to me that the author was able to create a world where vampires could be banned to exile for killing one too many innocents,
Nicole
May 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
This has been on my TBR for a while, so I finally read it. Not what I was expecting it to be…

Andrew made me feel so uncomfortable since chapter one. And his whole Vampire thing was so weird. He finds Edmund unconscious and bleeding but his first thought was that he could fuck and how much he wants to do that. I’d assume a Vampire would want to drink blood and since he’s been exiled in an island and hasn’t drunk human blood he’d be a little bit more focused on that… but nope.

It was such a weird
Jess Gabriel
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a short read, but rather enjoyable. The author was able to give us a full picture of two dynamic characters in a unique story line that I found myself drawn to. The MC's had great chemistry and the sexy times were great. This doesn't end with a cliffhanger, but it does say 'to be continued', so I'm looking forward to more!

*Provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Kristen Burns
3 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via NetGalley. This has not influenced my review.*

I originally DNFed this one at 13%, but I decided to give it another shot because I love vampires and I saw so many great reviews that made me think maybe the book would get better. I did end up enjoying it more than I thought I would in the end, but it turns out I was partly right and partly wrong in my initial assessment, so here are some lists!

Things I Liked:

- How non-human the vampires were some
Lisa The Novel Approach
Escaping Exile is the opening novella for a trilogy, and the blurb basically tells you everything you need to know about the story outside of the details for Andrew’s exile. Andrew is…a vampire. His joy in killing, innocent souls in particular, against his coven’s “drinking only” mandate and the machinations of a fellow vampire, lead to his exile on the island by the coven leader. After rescuing Edmund from a shipwreck so Andrew could have him as a meal instead of the cannibals, Edmund’s attract ...more
Lillian Francis
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent vampire story.
It ends on a 'tbc' but I think it's solid enough in its own right.

Thoughts to follow.

An interesting take on a vampire story.
There's nothing sparkly about Andrew. He's not a soft-focus vampire, he's charmed and killed. Killed one too many times, which is how he ends up in exile, his only companions a tribe of cannibals, who he can't kill because they smell of death and decay. And who don't try to eat him for the same reason.
Then one day a ship crashes during a storm and a
Erica
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review via the MMRG Don’t Buy My Love Program.

Andrew is quite obviously off his rocker. But who could blame him, right? Besides, I kinda like my MCs to be a little crazy. Makes for more interesting storytelling.

Andrew is a vampire exiled to an island as punishment for past deeds, and Edmund joins him there after a shipwreck. Andrew's plans to make a tasty snack of Edmund gradually morph into carnal desires and then into more
Joyfully Jay
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

As soon as I read the blurb for this story, I was intrigued. An exiled vampire who falls for the victim of a shipwreck on a deserted island? It sounded delightfully unique and I am happy to say that the story does make good use of its interesting premise. Andrew and Edmund are perfectly suited, each somewhat wild, reckless, and unconcerned about living within society’s norms. I love the way Andrew fascinates Edmund; rather than being scared of the vampire, Edmund wa
C.M. Peters
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
**I was provided an ARC in exchange for a review. **
Andrew has to escape doom and his island, just like I escaped work for a few hours. I dove in head first in this novella and couldn’t emerge until I was done. Andrew is lonely, borderline bitter, but nonetheless charming and witty. Edmund, a beautiful human, troubled but fearless. I was instantly attached to both as they appeared, imagining them (should I say who I ‘cast’ in my mind for them?). That’s one thing I really enjoyed in Escape Exile.
Renee
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
*4.5 Stars*

This novella is refreshingly different, bordering on bizarre occasionally. Yet at the same time able to keep a romantic and erotic feel to it. The author moves it at a good pace and kept me engaged.

The character development for a novella is solid. I greatly enjoyed Andrew especially but hope to learn more about the rest in the series. I do feel the world building could have been a little stronger, which is why there was a half star deduction. Some of it was a little chaotic and there
J.L.
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: july-2018
Disclaimer: I consider the author a friend; I received an electronic advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

The first thing you notice about this novella is the vibrant narrative voice. You learn everything you need to know about the main character and his circumstances within the first chapter, during the inciting incident, without any hint of the dreaded "info dump." I was fascinated by this vampire before I ever learned his name.

It soon becomes obvious that this vampire, Andrew
Diane Dannenfeldt
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr, m-m, 50-100_pgs
This was a new to me author. The book was a short sweet book. You have Andrew, who is a vampire exiled to this island for killing one to many humans. You also have Edmund who gets shipwrecked on this same island. Also living on this island are cannibals, who do pop up from time to time. During his time in exile, Andrew has learned control of his urges, well he really doesn’t have much of a choice as he wants nothing to do with the cannibals and they him. When he sees Edmund for the first time, h ...more
Kirstin
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given this ARC by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I love, love, loved this book.

The vampire Andrew has killed one too many people and is exiled from New Orleans to an island in South America. After 4 years of living off the land and animals, another ship is wrecked on shore and there is a survivor. Given the chance at drinking human blood, Andrew must decide his fate. Does he want company more than his thirst? Is he strong enough to keep this human alive? In the end, how much ca
Emma Jaye
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A short book that felt like a longer one, but in a good way.

No twinkly vampires, an honest to god evil, blood thirty villian! Yay!

Told from the vampire's POV, the character development and 19C writing style drew me in. I loved the way our vamp's emotions develop from saving a shipwreck victim because he wants a live meal. Enjoyed the way the shipwreck victim's character is developed, even though we only see him from the vamps POV.

Definitely a fun way to spend an hour or two.

Recommended.
Nicki Markus
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-lgbt
Escaping Exile was a fun, short read that I finished in a single sitting. Although only spanning 77 pages, there was sufficient development of the characters and enough plot action to keep me interested. I liked the premise of a vampire exiled to a tropical island, and I particularly enjoyed Andrew's interaction with Edmund, and his changing views towards him. This book is the first in a planned trilogy. I do wonder why the story needed to be a three-novella work, rather than simply telling the ...more
caroline wilson
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Robinson Crusoe meets vampire, cannibals.

I received this arc and this is my honest opinion.
Andrew has been banished to an island to moulder away after being exiled from the vampire coven. His only company the cannibals on the island. But when a ship is wrecked and most of the sea men fall foul of the cannibals he thinks he's going to get a easy meal till he smells Edmund. Saving him from the cannibals they form a relationship but it soon becomes obvious that the cannibals are quite literally det
LOLA
Vampires and cannibals.
Vampire Andrew has been in exile in this island, when a few years later a ship wrecks and along comes Edmund.
They both get along. Eventually they become more than friends.
They have some troubles. Cannibals and a meddling female.
But they stay together thru it all.
The ending leaves it open for so much more.
I would really like to see more of this coup!e. What adventures they will have. How the real world will effect them and their relationship.
A well written and thought out
Becca
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting. Normally it seems vamps have no morals about killing but one was exiled for it. A tale of vamps, cannibals and one human all trying to survive. Really good.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Married to the Mobster
  • Project Hero
  • Without You
  • End Scene
  • Missing in Action
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • His Temptation (Desires of the Heart #1)
  • Claiming Marcus (Lords of Discord, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Charlie Sunshine (Close Proximity, #2)
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • The Guy in the Window
  • A Kaleidoscope of Butterflies
  • Say You’ll Be Nine
  • How to Elude a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #2)
  • Risk Assessment (Cabrini Law #1)
  • Saving Rafe (Lords of Discord #2)
  • Out on the Ice (Out in College, #5)
Sara Dobie Bauer is a bestselling author, model, and mental health / LGBTQ advocate with a creative writing degree from Ohio University. She lives with her hottie husband and two precious pups in Northeast Ohio, although she’d really like to live in a Tim Burton film.

JOIN THE FACEBOOK SEXY CIRCLE:

CLAIM FREEBIES!!!

Escape Trilogy (3 books)
  • Escaping Solitude (Escape Trilogy #2)
  • Escaping Mortality (Escape Trilogy, #3)