Start by marking “Against the Rules (Harts of Passion Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Against the Rules (Harts of Passion Book 1)

Against the Rules (Harts of Passion Book 1)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Jaxson Carter

My life, my rules:
1. My business is my life and vice versa.
2. Vulnerability is not an option.
3. Relationships are too distracting (see rule 1 and 2.)

Hard lessons learned at an early age made me the success I am today, and I would never yield having the upper hand. Then Grace swept into my life. She’s beautiful, funny, and has a big heart that could only b
Published August 9th 2018 (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Rules

Sofia Lazaridou
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it

I am not sure about how I feel when it comes to this book. On one hand, I managed to finish it in one day, but on the other, I wonder how I was able to do that. I was reading it in a painfully slow pace and I kept feeling that it was dragging to a point where I started doubting if I was going to be able to finish the book. Maybe the reason why I felt this way is that Jax and Grace spend a lot of time running circles and not caving into their attraction. They know they want different thi
Christine Frieseke-Miller
I am a huge ME Montgomery fan and I fee like I have been waiting forever for this book! There is something so fresh and vibrant about her writing. She provides such great details about all of the characters. This is Jax and Grace's story and yet, we get to know so much about Grace's family and Jax's friends and family. She completely develops the whole world, not just the main couple which I absolutely love since it leaves me wanting more from this series.

Jax is a millionaire playboy who has a v
Becky Wise
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Against The Rules is one fantastic read. You can't help but love meddling families. And watching Jackson and Grace together. Sometimes you were just waiting for that oh no moment. Then you are hit with that finally. I love the banter with Grace and Jackson through out this one. They are a perfect match even with being a preachers daughter and anti relationship playboy. Both have strong hearts and yet trust issues. Once you really get to know Grace and Jax you understand why and you hope they can ...more
Shelley
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the Harts of Passion series and can be read as a stand alone book.

Against the Rules is the perfect combination of spicy heat and sweet romance. The characters and storyline will hold your attention from the opening to the epilogue, making it hard to put down.

Grace is sassy, funny and learning to stand up for herself and what she wants instead of always being a people pleaser. Jax is a damaged, alpha, dirty-talking, panty-melting, sexy book boyfriend everyone will love.
Samantha Ortegon (Books, Wine & Time)
After reading Yesterday's Tomorrows and Hearts Aligned I knew that M.E. Montgomery is a must read author. Against the Rules has everything I love in a contempory romance. The instant connection between these two characters is felt from the start. The sexual tension is perfectly played out in a slow tease, each moment had me rooting for this couple to become one.

OMG! Jaxson Carter will have you wanting to chant his name in every language possible. He is one stubborn alpha male that is determined
Liz
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Against the Rules by M.E. Montgomery is a sweet story about two very different people with very opposing views when dealing, or not dealing, with relationships. Grace is full of sass, funny and very caring. Jax does not trust easily, but he is a strong man. He was sexy, determined and so very confident.

I loved the banter between Grace and Jax and they had great chemistry. Could Grace and Jax set their differences aside and go against the rules each has set for themselves? I enjoyed reading Agai
Viper Spaulding
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book surprised me - it's much deeper than the blurb let on!

Jax is a playboy who avoids relationships - it's just the way he has always preferred to keep things. Until he meets Grace, the daughter of the minister at his cousin's wedding. Grace is everything he shouldn't want, and she's no easy conquest for him. I loved the way she stood up to him without ever losing an ounce of her elegance or poise. She knows what she wants, and she knows what she doesn't want, and she knows she deserv
Rae Sontheyon
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not A Prince, But Definitely Charming! . . .

My heart is so full of emotions! I am absolutely ecstatic that this novel was finally released AND that there is more to follow!! The characters in this book will make you laugh, cry a little, cringe a bit, and swoon.

Jaxson ‘Jax’ Carter is a self mad man and has rules in his life that keep love out of the equation when it comes to relationships. That is until he meets a formidable woman named Grace Hart, who is unlike any woman he’s ever met both beau
Ariadna Basulto
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jaxson Carter is a man who lives by his own set of rules. Rules made to avoid reliving a past that haunts him and has created a slew of trust issues. Despite this the man is total alpha goodness! The swoon was really strong with this one! And once he meets Grace Hart he begins to realize that she’s a game changer.

Grace is freaking endearing! It’s no wonder she wins over Jaxson and makes him break his own rules. She’s a lot classy, a bit sassy, and learning to be smart-assy! She’s a woman with a
Karen
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a really lovely book this is!

I started reading on the back of a DNF about a bloshy alpha billionaire and thought oh no, not again. But I was wrong Jax Carter is a great character. I loved his loyalty to his mum and friend Noah. I loved that he’s a perfect gentleman, always respectful of people (except when he tries to make Grace say cock). He is a fantastic mentor taking a youngster with issues under his wing instead of turning a blind eye. I’m SOLD!

Against The Rules is a long story going
Cheryl Whitty
Reviewed on Behalf of http://bookaddict.live,
Wow what a wonderful romance, Jax is sitting in his cousin’s wedding feeling remote from the whole experience. Then suddenly his is mesmerised by the beauty walking down the aisle. Grace was standing beside the second bridesmaid when she felt someone looking at her. Jax for the first time in his life couldn’t stop looking at the beautiful angel.
This is was a slightly different romance where the Girl with principals usually gives in to the smoking hot
United Indie Book Blog
Jax and Grace 2 different people. They live life differently, I wasn't sure how this story was going to go. My heart broke for Jax and I could relate to him. I really enjoy Graces character. We can all learn from her, even though she is just a character. It made me wonder if the author went through something similar if she knew someone who went through this. After reading this book it took me a bit to do anything. It made me think about my faith, life and how I handle this or react to situation. ...more
Isha Coleman
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Against the Rules dares to be cynical. We're all thinking it, but are not bold enough to say it. Sometimes we have to break a few rules to land on common ground. Jaxson and Grace fought the fine fight, but in the end lost the war. Their hearts claimed the ultimate victory in a surprise upset. Montgomery looks at love in a colorful way. It's not always rose colored glasses and caviar dreams. It's sleepless nights and emotional upheaval with a side of frustration for good measure. Against the Rule ...more
Chasidy
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Against the Rules is my first book by M.E. Montgomery and it will not be my last.

I loved Jackson and Grace’s story! I found myself glued to my kindle and I did not want to put it down!! The chemistry between the two is great and you can help but fall in love with their story! This is a must read and I can’t want to read more from M.E.
Vera Blaz
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first ME Montgomery book, but certainly won’t be the last! I loved Grace and Jax. Their relationship progressed at a natural pace. Montgomery gave great insight into all of the characters through her storytelling. Can’t wait to read more by this author!
Heidi Dickinson
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book! Grace only does relationships, and Jax only does one night stands. These two can go nowhere, right? From the sparks that flew from their first meeting I was sure this was going to be a fast HEA...but boy was I so very wrong. Accidental meetings, meddling parents, nosy sisters, and secrets...this book had me pulled in from the very beginning. The tension that built between Grace and Jax...HOT HOT HOT!! These characters were so wonderfully brought to life! I’m so hap ...more
Ashley Sledge( UnderCoversBookBlog)
Oh man! This book!!! It had me laughing, waiting and guessing what would happen next! I liked that Grace made Jax chase her. That doesn't happen too much anymore. There is a lot of love in this book. Not just between the main characters but also with the side characters.
I can't wait for more. I highly recommend this one.
Donna Lain
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC for an honest review. I enjoyed this story about Grace and Jax by M.E. Montgomery. I liked that Grace came from a loving family and that she was not afraid to live her life on her terms. Jax was a great character. He was a strong businessman but had a difficult life growing up. Don't miss this one, lots of fun times, sexy times, snark, and attitude.
Suzanne
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: svbo-reviews
Oh does this story start with a bang. I LOVE how it plays out. Watching Jax crumble the way he does with Grace was utterly priceless. There was so much going on as this is the introduction to a new series but the passion and the concept of the story was brilliant. How much Jax fought to be with Grace. How much Grace fell for him but still made him work for it. How Jax breaks all the rules he has in place for himself because Grace. Then the issues within the Hart family. My heart broke at moments ...more
Andrea Britton
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of ME Montgomery’s best books to date! This story will have you laughing, wondering, guessing, and falling so in love you won’t want to put it down.

These two have to work for each other and what a beautiful ride we take.

I will extend my review on Release Day!

Highly recommended!

Pre-order today!!!?
Christie
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone has a set of rules and guidelines they promise to live by. But, what happens when you meet someone who makes you question why you live by those rules in the first place? I’ll tell you what happens: it turns into an amazing book!

Montgomery not only writes meaningful stories, but she makes us feel all the same emotions her characters experience.

Against the Rules is an incredible love story with a well-thought plot, incredible character development and a feel-good read. I highly recommend
Books Laid Bare
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think the blurb did this justice, or more to the point I don’t think it did Jaxson justice because after reading through it I wasn’t actually sure if I was going to like him, when in all honesty nothing could have been further from the truth because once I got into the story- I fell for him hook, line and sinker, he was fabulous.
There are family connections between Jax and Grace that for many may have been an advantage but it isn’t always the case and in some respects, that was Jax and G
Ree
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the sort of book that sneaks up on you with the right amount of shock value, but then manages to soothe you. I recommend you read it.

A hard, unhappy past makes it hard for Jaxson Carter to trust a woman. A "love 'em and leave 'em" motto supporter, he's hit hard - literally - when he meets Grace Hart. Knowing from the get-go that she's not his usual type of woman still isn't enough for him to avoid her. Instead, he's breaking all his usual rules just to have her in his life in some way or
Cee Cee Houston
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this hometown romance between a smart, sassy-mouthed preacher’s daughter and a arrogant, relationship-shy entrepreneur.
Jaxsom Carter never shied away from taking risks in his business deals, but when it came to his heart, he played one night only and held all the strings… until he met Grace Hart. He knew instinctively that she was different from any woman he’d ever wanted before and that was before he even spoke to her. But, that didn’t stop him from taking a chance.
Grace only wanted a
SaraLou
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Against The Rules is the first book in the Hart'sof Passion Series and my first read by M.E Montgomery but it's a fantastic one.

Grace Hart is sick of being setup on dates with sons of the women who attend her father's church. She wants to pick her own guy, one that her father will approve of. Has she found that in the handsome guy at her best friends wedding?

Jax Carter is a playboy, one who doesn't do relationships, who would prefer to have hook ups than stay monogamous. Will all of that change
Cathy
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is sexy and sweet somehow at the same time. Throw in the banter/snark and wowzers, you will fall in love. Jax and Grace meet at a wedding, and while the kiss was steaming, he doesn't stick around. Grace is the daughter of a minister and Jax is a playboy.

Both have reservations about this relationship and that is a great story to explore, WHY they are both the way they are when it comes to falling in love. This author does such a great job with every details. I love the meddling family m
Alexa
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me this was a good read but not a great read. I really struggled to get through it and connect with the story. I'm not really sure exactly why, have been thinking about it for the past 24 hours. I kept waiting for it to 'gel' for me but it just did not.

It is technically classified as a 'slow burn' romance I would say but I didn't feel the connection with the main characters. Even when they finally do get together the scenes were short and lacked... something. There are a LOT of components t
Chanah Dickson (The Book Whisperer)
I absolutely love finding new authors, and when that author writes a book like Against the rules I know that I’m going to become a huge fan! ME Montgomery writing style made this book such an easy read that the pages just flowed and the end cake king before I was ready!

Grace is such an adorable character she’s strong and feisty and definitely not what you expect from the pastors daughter, but having made mistakes that affect more than just her in the past she isn’t so sure of her own decisions
Amy Stephens
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Against the Rules is a really cute story and I'm happy to have discovered M.E. Montgomery, a new to me author. I was immediately hooked with Jaxon and Grace's story, but it did take me a little time to adjust to the author's style of writing. Montgomery writes with a lot of detail--not a bad thing but there were times I wanted to skim over words just to get into the story and I'm not one for doing that.

Jaxon and Grace were fun, despite coming from two totally different backgrounds and with diff
Danielle Wormald
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first of a new series –Hearts of Passion!

Jaxon Carter, CEO, successful businessman and doesn’t commit to relationships, never giving ‘more’ and used to getting what he wants with the ladies falling at his feet, well until he meets Grace Hart that is!
He wants her but she is the opposite of him where he isn’t look for a relationship or anything serious she isn’t open to a one night stand or a casual fling! So who’s rules are going to break first?

This story was everything I expected it not to
« previous 1 3 next »