Start by marking “Successor” as Want to Read:
Successor

Successor

For seventeen-year-old Evan, graduation means the freedom to leave behind her small-town life and find where she belongs. She never expected it to be in a different world.

Across time and space, deep in a mysterious jungle, Evan discovers the hidden heritage of her mother’s people and her own legacy. She becomes their elemental, a protector gifted with the power to control
Published October 24th 2018 by The Wild Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about Successor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Successor

Start your review of Successor
Kat Dietrich
Successor by Rae Miles is a Sci-Fi/Fantasy novel aimed at Young Adults.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher The Wild Rose Press, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:
Evangeline (Evan) is 17 when she and her friend Leila get swept away to a different dimension (plane). There she finds the purpose to her life. There she finds her home. Evan discovers that her mother, who died when Evan was
Tammy Goodwin
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good story. Characters feel real and well established. Excellent world building. Evan is really interesting and the mystery of family and history will played out in a comfortable timeline. I can’t wait to read more!

reviewed on amazon as well
Rae Miles
Sep 05, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This book was a labor of love for me. It had been sitting in my head for a long time, and when Evan finally got around to telling me her story, it turned out to be so much more intricate than I could have anticipated. The world she entered was more beautiful than I could’ve imagined. And Ren...he redefined the strong, silent type for me!

I hope you love Evan, Ren, and their world as much as I do.

Prepare yourself for what’s to come in book 2...
Crystal Brown
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arcs, fiction
I admit it. I'm a cover junkie. If I see a really cool cover and the blurb catches my fancy, I'm going to read that book.

And so, I read Successor.

Successor tells the story of Evan, who immediately after graduation finds out that her mother was from another world, and that she is next in line and must learn to claim her power, in order to protect her people.

This is a great coming of age story. It took me a few chapters to really get into it, but once I did, the pages turned themselves.

I though
Erica
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this book from the author, and I have to say, I cannot be more grateful! This book was one that I will never forget. I had so many feelings; I laughed, I cried, my heart broke, and I was overjoyed. I was on the edge of my seat through most of the book! This story gripped me from the very beginning, and it held my attention so intensely, that I finished it in a day. The writing is amazing, the descriptions are beautiful and so easy to picture, and the chara ...more
Erin Gomez
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I just could not put this book down!!! This book has elemental abilities mixed with just the right amount of romance! It’s just a really good book. I won this ebook from a Goodreads giveaway, and I was a little worried when I was told I had won it. The last couple ebooks I have won have not been the best, but after I started , I could not wait to read more of this book. The author does a wonderful job of setting the scenes, and making you like most of the characters. You get so into the boo ...more
Ellen Conniff
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Successor. What a great read. I was enthralled the entire book. The characters were well thought out with plenty of depth and individuality. The Lataek Plane was discribed with such detail I felt like I was part of it's world. I want to know more about Evan and Rens life together. Can't wait for the next book.
Katlyn Gilmer
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking

Listen, if you like fantasy and slow burns, you absolutely have to read this book. The characters are alive and the setting is rich and this is just honestly a can't-miss debut.
Smart Bookaholics Inc Bookstore
What a captivating book! This is off to a great start! Can't wait to read book 2! Thank you netgalley for the free arc in exchange for an honest review!
Katy Lyn
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. The main characters feel so real that it was easy to become engrossed in the story. Evan especially - as the lead character - I loved that she was not “perfect” and had actual human flaws; it just made her so very relatable for me. The build up of the love story also was something that worked for me - with the characters getting to know each other through actual conversations...despite the instant pull to each other. There wasn’t much about this one ...more
Jan Marie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had the lucky pleasure to read Successor before its release date. Let's just say mark this book on your to-read list.

SUCCESSOR is filled with action, adventure, magic, and romance all the right elements for a successful Young Adult book. Here we meet Evan (Evangeline) who is our guide in this alternate world tale.
After a graduation party goes wrong and a chase from the cops and toss in a thunderstorm it lands both her and her friend in a whole different world where Evan learns she is the Succ
Michelle
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of reading an advance copy of this book and I couldn’t put it down. The world is vivid and beautiful. Evan is a character you can get behind and cheer through the whole book. We see her triumphs and her struggles, hoping she will get through everything that is thrown at her.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a great portal fantasy with a lush world, amazing characters and a tingling romance. I can’t wait for a sequel *fingers crossed*
Amy Lochowitz
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A wonderful story that captures your attention from the start and keeps you turning pages. I couldn’t put it down!
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arc
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Actual rating is closer to 2.5, but I bumped it up.

Evan is a 17 year old girl who never really fit in the the other people her age. As a result she is always playing DD for her best friend, Lelia. She's always sitting in the quietest place she can find while her friend parties, keeping an eye on her to make sure she doesn't try another one of her 'brilliant ideas.'

But while running from the cops who are busting up anot
Vibeke
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

I was interested in this book because the premise was intriguing. It sounded like nothing else I had ever read before. And, in the end, it was.

Swept into an alternate dimension, Evan learns that she has inherited her deceased mother's powers as an elemental. Her mother was a native of this alternate world and it is now Evan's responsibility to protect the tribe her mother left behind.

I'll start where this book fell short, so that I
Francesca
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me a free copy in exchange of an honest review*

I like the overall plot and the writing style; the worldbuilding is very promising and it opens the way for an incredible adventure.
Sadly, I think the book could have used a more precise and extensive work on the story and the characters: they are fairly sketched and very compelling, but the fact that they're not completely developed lessens one's reading experience.
Another problematic point is th
Destiny Bridwell
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I saw the cover of this book and it drew me in and I had to see what it was about and blurb sold me on the rest. The idea of Even graduating and find out something about her mother and her legacy was just a bit exciting. The characters in this novel were very well done and each had their own personality. The details of the world was done expertly as if were I was right there with the characters. This made me very happy and would for su ...more
Tracey-J
Jan 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I had such high hopes for this story but I just disappointed me a lot. The main protagonist was annoying and immature. This book also has a big hit of insta love which I also didn't like. Saying that I did like the main theme of the book I just felt that the characters let it down.
Liana
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a little complex for my level (7th grade) however if you understand it It's overall a really good book! <3 ...more
m o c h i ♡ c a k e s —
successor — to be determined.
i received a copy of this book through a giveaway. this will be updated once i finished the book.
Rachel Hietpas
Oct 20, 2018
Mikhail Rapoport Jr.
Oct 21, 2018

• Finding Fraser
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • The Cruelest Stranger
  • Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1)
  • Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
  • Alaska Wild
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • Private Investigations: Mystery Writers on the Secrets, Riddles, and Wonders in Their Lives
  • Recovered Secrets
  • The Land Beyond the Sea
  • Badge of Honor (In the Line of Fire, #2)
  • Her Guardian
  • The Wickerlight (The Wren Hunt, #2)
  • Mountain Refuge
  • This Light Between Us: A Novel of World War II
  • Light of Darkness
  • Memory of Murder
Rae Miles is a Wisconsin native who hasn't yet managed to escape the frigid Midwest. She started creating characters at a young age, dreaming one day she'd have a place for them to call home. Many years and a writing degree later, that dream came true with her debut young adult fantasy novel, Successor. She is currently working on its sequel, along with a new young adult fantasy series.

When not wr