Start by marking “The Apex Book of World SF 5 (Apex World of Speculative Fiction)” as Want to Read:
The Apex Book of World SF 5 (Apex World of Speculative Fiction)

The Apex Book of World SF 5

(The Apex Book of World SF #5)

The landmark anthology series of international speculative fiction returns with volume 5 of The Apex Book of World SF. Cris Jurado joins series editor Lavie Tidhar to highlight the best speculative fiction from around the world.

Cyberpunk from Spain, Singapore and Japan; mythology from Venezuela, Korea and First Nations; stories of the dead from Zimbabwe and Egypt, and sp
Kindle Edition
Published September 18th 2018 by Apex Publications (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Apex Book of World SF 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Apex Book of World SF 5

Start your review of The Apex Book of World SF 5 (Apex World of Speculative Fiction)
Kalin
Sep 04, 2019 marked it as part-read
Shelves: world-sf
Skimmed the horror or disturbing pieces. The ones I liked were Vina Jie-Min Prasad's "A Series of Steaks"; Darcie Little Badger's "Nkásht íí"; Giovanni De Feo's "Ugo"; and especially T.L. Huchu's "Ghostalker". Here's a choice morsel of it:

I’m not really supposed to use my powers for my own benefit. To be fair, most of the time I’m more Peter Parker than Tony Stark, still, I Bruce Banner out sometimes. My dad went all Sauron and left us, so I live with my mum and little sis in Chiwaridzo Township.

I’m
Rachel Cordasco
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kam Yung Soh
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of speculative fiction from around the world. Ranging from Asia to Africa, Europe to the Americas, you will find much to like in many of the stories featured. My favourites include those by Vina Jie-Min Prasad, T.L. Huchu, Taiyo Fujii, Vandana Singh, Bo-young Kim, Chi Hui, Karla Schmidt and Giovanni De Feo.

- "A Series of Steaks" by Vina Jie-Min Prasad (Singapore): an entertaining story set in China where one person makes a living by printing out imitation meat
Brian
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's something really exciting about some of these stories and seeing how certain storytelling devices or tropes can get refreshed through a different cultural perspective than the one I've lived my life in. Some very cool authors to dig more into.
Kate Sherrod
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another winner! Full review soon at Skiffy and Fanty.
Marie
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've been meaning to get into this anthology series just based on the retro-cool covers, and I'll definitely read more of them!

The opening stories blew me away so much I ended up reading the first six in one big gluttonous binge when I had intended to just read one before bed!

My favorite is definitely the first story, "A Series of Steaks" by Vina Jie-Min Prasad. It's got art and science and compelling characters and complex problems with logical resolutions that feel both
Eric Lahti
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A number of years ago, I got interested in Japanese horror, primarily Koji Suzuki. I wanted to see what The Ring was like in its original incarnation. Awesome, if I may say so myself. I found Suzuki’s work to have a more subtle feel than a lot of traditional American horror. It was a breath of fresh air after blood, gore, and violence of our native horror stories.

None of the works in The Apex Book of World SF: Volume 5 would be classified as horror, but that doesn’t mean that subtlet
Joe Crowe
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So you say you want new science-fiction authors to read.

Here is a book jammed full of them, with authors from all over the world. You will find new authors that you will love here, guaranteed.

The collection includes authors from Singapore, Spain, Lebanon, Nigeria, Cuba, Zimbabwe, and more.

My personal favorite is "An Evolutionary Myth," by Bo-Young Kim, a fantasy and allegory that seems like "The Lion King," at first, but then turns into a story about transformation that would make
Peter
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
A collection of short stories from various countries around the world, often translated to English from another language.

Short story collections are always mixed bags, so there's not really much to say beyond what I liked. In this one... only a couple stand out on the positive side, and on the negative, nothing jumps out at me save the occasional disappointment that a story that seemed like it might be starting okay just went nowhere interesting. Mostly it was just stories that were okay but di
Jd weber
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Apex is always great when you need to read a really good book and get something that's a little outside your comfort zone. Volume 5 has some amazing stories in it and I'm so excited to look up these authors' other works. Hopefully I can find them in English.

"A series of Steaks"
"Ambiguity Machines"
and
"An Evolutionary Myth"

were probably my favorites. "Scenes from the life of an Autocrat" seemed the most contemporary and important to the time we're living in, while "The Barrette Girl
Erika
Nov 02, 2019 is currently reading it
** Full disclosure: I received this book in exchange for an honest review**
K.T.
I am immensely grateful to the editors of this anthology. I imagine having to sift through so much fiction must have been daunting, but they did a great job of pulling together a diverse collection of stories from around the world that showcases some of the best non-western centered specfic.

From post-modern cyberpunk to ghouls to time travel and more, this anthology was a fun sampling of world SF. Some stories were traditional, linear tales while others were a bit more circular or ended without
Sidsel Pedersen
Funny with a lot of personality.
Had me laughing out loud at the reading at Eastercon so I sought out the story when I came home.

The voice is really great and so is the protagonist, who is so old beyond her years. It fits her perfectly. She is both very brash and quite understanding and sweet.
Cyber
Dec 01, 2018
Israel Alonso
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Chelsea Mcgill

• Broken Stars: Contemporary Chinese Science Fiction in Translation
  • Passing Strange
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • AfroSFv3
  • Marrow (Great Ship, #1)
  • The Quantum Magician
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • Outside the Gates
  • A Planet for Rent
  • The Lost Puzzler (The Tarakan Chronicles #1)
  • Summerland
  • Gamechanger
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 24: Disabled People Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
  • Heracles' Bow
  • ลับแล, แก่งคอย
  • Where the River Runs Gold
  • More Women of Wonder: Science Fiction Novelettes by Women About Women
Cristina Jurado Marcos es una escritora española residente en Dubái, licenciada en Ciencias de la Información por la Universidad de Sevilla y Master en Retórica por Northwestern University (EUA).

The Apex Book of World SF (5 books)
  • The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
  • The Apex Book of World SF 2 (Apex Book of World SF #2)
  • The Apex Book of World SF 3 (Apex Book of World SF #3)
  • The Apex Book of World SF 4 (Apex Book of World SF #4)