Start by marking “Viking Masalları” as Want to Read:
Viking Masalları

Viking Masalları

Sakin, sessiz ve soğuk kış aylarında İzlanda insanlarının ellerinde hep bir uğraş olurdu. Bu uğraşlar sayesinde düşünür, konuşur, çocuklarına savaşçı atalarının masallarını anlatırlardı. Buz denizinin üstünde ve kuzey ışıklarının altında…

Buz ülke, yeşil ülke, üzüm ülkesi… İzlanda’da, Norveç’te, o toprakları yuva haline getiren kahraman Vikingler, hâlâ minnetle ve
Published July 12th 2018 by Kara Karga Yayınları (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about Viking Masalları, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Viking Masalları

Start your review of Viking Masalları
Amalia Gavea
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Viking Tales...This is a charming little book narrating the tales of two of the greatest Viking leaders in History. The journey starts in Norway with the birth of Harald Finehair, son of Halfdan the Black. Harald was the one who united the lesser kingdoms of Norway and formed a united, powerful nation. The rejection of his marriage proposal by princess Gyda unless he became a great king and the vow that he would not cut or comb his hair until he had defeated all his enemies are the most ...more
Jwee Chiek
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful short tales simple enough for children but for adults too. These tales are about Viking adventures exploring the world. They went as far as the US. Imagine them braving the Atlantic ocean on their magnificent viking ships. Their forays out of motherland Norway resulted in settlements in Ireland, Iceland and Greenland France. Quoting from the book: " The men, with the crude courage and the strange adventures that make a man interesting to children, have at the same time the love of ...more
Lmichelleb
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, mythology
Currently reading through this for the third time and enjoying the stories very much, even though I know what is coming. What a great picture of the life of the peoples of old Norway! My mind is full of rich pictures of what life must have been like!
Colin Jones
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book because of all the stories in it.
Wysteria
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The kids love this book. We have read it more then three times now and my husband and I also immensely enjoy the sagas. Got it on LibriVox in audio version and it's quite fantastic.
Jefferson
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, historical
A Concise, Vigorous Children’s Introduction to Vikings
(but listen to the LibriVox audiobook at your own peril)

Jennie Hall’s Viking Tales (1902) is an interesting, compact children’s book that depicts a few famous Norse Vikings, their achievements, and the Viking ethos and culture. Hall’s short introduction “What the Sagas Were” vividly introduces Iceland, skalds, sagas, and the first books recording the “stories of kings and battles and ship-sailing” that she has selected from among to retell
Kaj Samuelsson
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So this was my first try on the old viking sagas in English. I have read the same stories in different versions, but this was actually the best so far, it gave a more in-depth view and seems more slanted towards the living conditions in Norway, Iceland, Greenland and Wineland. It also gave the best description on the travels in Wineland. I have been looking for this but never found one telling the tale of what happened after Leif Ericsson discovered Wineland. Also there were an interesting note ...more
Keti
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I somehow expected a little more from this book. The tales were short and entertaining, which was a big plus, but the description and the dialogue was a little bland. For children or young adults who have just started to be interested about the world of the Norsemen, this book is a good enough start, but for others who crave something more that just a simple story, I would advise you to keep looking. All things considered, it was not a bad book, it was a decent one, but for me it was not complex ...more
Stacy
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was torn between giving this three stars or four stars. It wasn't rousing reading, for the most part—though it was engaging—but in the end I decided that my desire for rip-roaring adventure was unrealistic and maybe a little unfair. This is a good introduction to Viking lore. There's a nice glossary describing the types of houses Vikings lived in, the weapons they used, and some of the gods they worshipped. There's also a bibliography at the end.
Franklin Wood
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stories about Vikings? Sign me up! After studying The Vikings with my son, I picked up this little volume and was pleasantly surprised.
The author does a good job of breathing life into these historical characters. The narrative, though split into separate stories, flows well and is easy to understand. The author explains her goals at the end and wraps it all up nicely.
Read this if you are interested in medieval history, American discovery, Vikings, and sailing adventures.
Rick Davis
This is a fictionalized account covering the life of Norse king Harald Hairfair, the settling of Iceland and Greenland, and the story of Leif Ericsson. It was an okay account, but for the target audience, I'd rather recommend The Vikings by Elizabeth Janeway. It covers much of the same material, is better written, and deals a bit more specifically with some of the events.
Deb
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, although it took me a long time to read at my computer. I prefer a Kindle or real book. None the less, the story carried well and engaged my interest. I felt the final pages, with their teaching suggestions were excellent and would make a great homeschooling introduction to history and geography both. With a good book list/bibliography at the end, no one is left hanging who wants to explore more deeply. Other books have come on the market recently also which will do much for ...more
Nina
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this is a children's book, VIKING TALES can be interesting for readers of all ages. The reason I say 'can' be, is cos it will mostly depend on your interests and how far your knowledge on this subject reaches. In the end, this is a fictionalized work and not everybody appreciates that. Though there's plenty of footnotes and descriptions to open several discussions, which I think are perfect to do with children and therefore I also recommend this book to read with kids.
Chris
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love LibriVox for making so many great old books available, that being said they should vet their readers a bit better. Two of the final three chapters of this were read by someone who is barley literate. Thankfully they are teacher suggestion chapters and it does not take away from a great story.
barbara garlets
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vikings

A fun and interesting set of tales and a bit of family history for me . I was enthralled with the sheer determination of these explorers to find New lands to settle down and farm and raise their families .
Carrie ReadingtoKnow
Eh. Second time through and I think it's a good introduction to stories about the Vikings but I wasn't overly enthralled with it either. It's a decent book but I think we were all collectively glad that we finally worked our way through it.
shari lee
Viking discovery of North America

These tales are simplistic and not of strong literary sense but convey a truth not generally known to the average student today. A worthy effort to educate the truths of discovery.
Set
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are fan of vikings fighting dragons and sailing ships to settle far off land, you'll enjoy these stories greatly.

And if you are a fan of the Vikings series, you'll find the truth of each story to be hilarious in comparison to what the series led us to believe.

We see the story of King Harald and Giada who demanded Harald to unite all of Norway if he was to be worthy of marrying her. He vowed to do so and didn't cut his hair until he fulfilled his promise.

"What of that far island that
Hasan Bozdaş
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The tales in this book are counted as the life story of King Harald; even though the social life of Scandinavia, Viking wars and a periodical history lesson. I had the expectation that there were different tales.
John Yelverton
I realize that this is a classic piece of literature, but I was not that impressed with either its writing style nor the stories themselves.
daisy
Really enjoyed this! I believe I would have enjoyed it even more as a kid
Dany Vicente
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and interesting book. It’s funny to know that the US could be named wineland if the nordics have stayed there ahah
The story is very descriptive
Amy Krohn
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My seven year old daughter liked this (I read it to her), but we both appreciated it more after we followed this book up with Leif the Lucky by d'Aulaire.
Muhammad Nusair
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful stories of ancient glory and ways of living.
Roy N Crossgrove
Great book... Very entertaining. Well translated.

I enjoyed this book... well written. It provides insight into Viking culture. I found the tales to be very informative
Lauren
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this is primarily a children's book, I think it is a good read for adults as well to help them understand the history of Norse legends. Finding new lands accidentally, long and treacherous voyages, encountering hardships, and a unique lifestyle, this is a book of adventure. I particularly like the straight-forwardness of the book. There is no beating around the bush with long descriptions. Quite opposite, it's to the point; a satisfying read.
Valhalla is explained in the story as
Jesse
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You really miss out on a lot in this. It seems to be compiled from the Norse sagas that were written in the 13th century and cover the period from 920 to about 1100 A.D.

Like in one of the last stories, Eric the Red's saga tells about how one of the Viking women scared off an entire party of skraelings (the sagas' word for the Native Americans) by beating he bare breast with a sword and shouting... How rad!

In this book it literally says "One of the women said 'give me a sword, I can beat them
Jc Er
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful short tales of Viking adventures of them exploring the world ( as far as the US) and their settlement in Ireland, Iceland and Greenland. Quoting from the book: " The men, with the crude courage and the strange adventures that make a man interesting to children, have at the same time the love of truth, the hardy endurance, the faithfulness, the faithfulness to plighted word, that make them a childs fit companions."

An extremely well written book. The short sentences yet contiguous with
Sanaa Hyder
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first official introduction to Norse History and I quite enjoyed it. Feast halls, voyages, winter and legacies - this was really fun to listen to (librivox audiobook) and read (public domain ebook).

(view spoiler)
Danielle
I take issue with an earlier review! People, just for your reference - if you read 18 chapters, you will indeed hear about murdering and pillaging and expansion West (England is specifically noted, ha.) That stuff ain't absent, if that's what you're worried about. If you want a detailed analysis and history though, turn elsewhere. This is just entertainment.

As far as what I think of this - it's decent story material. I thought it all rather funny, perhaps that's due to the tone of its writer and

• Japanese Fairy Tales
  • Ömer'in Çocukluğu
  • Paddle-to-the-Sea
  • Maese Zacarias
1875-1921

Renowned historical writer of the late nineteenth century, Hall chiefly wrote spellbinding travel memoirs. Her works are known for their vibrant narratives and vivid descriptions.
“the people grew tired of this little gossip. Fathers looked at their children and thought: "They are not learning much. What will make them brave and wise? What will teach them to love their country and old Norway? Will not the stories of battles, of brave deeds, of mighty men, do this?” 1 likes
“The winter nights were very long. Sometimes the sun showed for an hour, sometimes for only a few minutes, sometimes it did not show at all for a week. The men hunted by the bright shining of the moon or by the northern lights.” 0 likes