Start by marking “Who Was Annie Oakley?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Annie Oakley?

Who Was Annie Oakley?

(Who Was/Is...?)

You want girl power? Meet Annie Oakley! Born in 1860, she became one of the best-loved and most famous women of her generation. She amazed audiences all over the world with her sharpshooting, horse-riding, action-packed performances. In an age when most women stayed home, she traveled the world and forged a new image for American women.
Published February 18th 2002 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published February 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Annie Oakley?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Annie Oakley?

Shelby
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
I always like the who was books for many reasons. I have already had some background knowledge about Annie Oakley, but after reading this I learn way more than I already knew. This book provided great facts that I did not know or knew before about her life and how she became so famous. I really enjoyed reading this book.
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who Was Annie Oakley? by Stephanie Spinner taught me a good deal about her personal life I never heard before. I knew some of the basics but none of the details that are given in this book. This book is over 100 pages packed with rich info of this woman and I came out of this book feeling totally different about her then I did going in. Myths have a way of tainting a person and this book is one I am glad I read. It is made for middle grades or teens but it is a book the whole family will enjoy. ...more
AMY
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grade 5 and up
109 pages. This is a great biography on a wild west legend who was able to win the hearts of Americans and even Queen Victoria! Her humble beginnings and life struggles will inspire kids, especially girls. I highly recommend it for grades 5 and up.
Emma Marino
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is all about Annie Oakley,and her life doing lots of competitions.She won against the champion Frank and got married.From then on it was about the two of them in the circus.Annie also taught woman to shoot guns.And their retirement.
Diana
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who is Annie Oakley? is a simple but informative biography that would work well for younger children to better learn about women in history. The book details that life of Annie Oakley, from her birth as Phoebe Ann Moses in 1860 to her death in 1926. It makes sure to go over details such as her abusive first job, and the fact that, during her life, it was not socially acceptable for a woman to shoot. The book talks about Annie’s beginning in shooting shows, her meeting and quick marriage with Fra ...more
Casey Terryn
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl named Annie Oakley whos family is very poor. she shoots guns with her father and becomes interested with shooting guns. She grows up and joins some circuses. Every body is really impressed that a girl can shoot a gun. She goes up against one of America's best shooter. He is a man. Annie wins and they get married. I don't want to say the rest because you really need to read it.
Lauren
Apr 11, 2008 rated it liked it
it was good because it told so much about her and not just basics
Sue
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
She was truly miraculous. This was a very good read.
Laurie Brumbaugh
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A good Who Was book, full of interesting info, as expected. However, I have to give this one a lower rating for two reasons.

1) The author did not include any source notes or bibliography, which is actually unusual for this series. I did find a couple other early books in the series with the same problem, so I'm hoping this is something that the publisher ironed out early on. Sources are vital for non-fiction titles.

2) The author also made no mention of the Garst Museum in Greenville, Ohio, (whic
Susan
As with most of the "Who Was" books, I loved this one. I had always heard Annie's name and knew she was a sharp shooter but I didn't know much else. Reading this with my 5 year old was great and she was excited to hear about Annie Oakley's life. She now wants to be a cowgirl when she grows up. Very informative without there being too much information. Both my daughter and I learned and were engrossed in it, highly recommend!
Slow Man
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
The Who is/who was series continue to publish famous people of the world who continue to inspire thousands of readers. One can always see the strength in all the characters in this series. Know America. Know Annie Oakley.
Rachel
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short yet educational read. I’m a big fan of these books.
Sarah Mair
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun read with my 5th Graders. We learned many new things about Annie Oakley.
Jaclyn Knight
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of our favorite books from this series so far. Not only is the subject quite riveting but the book is well written & the illustrations are some of the best in the series.
Marina Caputo
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Read!
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
women power!
Yvonne
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting overview of Annie's life. I learned a lot about her. Well researched.
Savannah
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well, I found this book and thought it would be different that what it is, but if your in school or just are interested in history, I would recommend it.
Mary Kim
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Courtney
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-5-lit
This biography is about a young woman named Phoebe Ann Moses, who was born in Darke County, Ohio. When her father died at a young age, her mother was left to take care of her and her siblings. With little pay back then and only one source of income, the children started to go hungry. Her mother sent Phoebe to work in an infirmary for extra money. By this time, she was going by the name of Annie and was doing well at her job. She was in and out of the infirmary for several years until she got int ...more
Wade
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Annie Oakley’s real name was Phoebe Ann Moses, she had a talent for shooting guns from the time she was very young. She liked to hunt with her dad, we were sad to find out that he died when Annie was only 5 years old. We thought it was cool when we learned that when she was young she won so many contests that they stopped letting her enter them. We liked that she was a better shot than her husband Frank. People at the time thought it was weird that a girl could shoot so well. Lily was surprised ...more
Jackie
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Who was Annie Oakley, written by Stephanie Spinner tells the life story of Annie Oakley. Annie Oakley was an amazing gun shooter and Wild West horseback rider. She was admired by everyone. She was not your average lady, she performed for huge crowds. She absolutely loved being in the show business. Annie was a very determined lady. Annie met a man named Frank who was one of her competitors and they fell madly in love. Annie and Frank traveled the world together performing and entertaining many. ...more
Lmarks4
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Annie Oakley wanted to be the best sharp shooter in the world but, the sharp shooting world was predominately male dominated. So, she kept practicing and working hard then she was able to become one of the best sharp shooters in the world. "Who Was Annie Oakley?" is about ambition, determination, and dedication.
Tel Pyzer
Oct 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-quarter
This book is about annie oakley the best female shooting ever. in her life she started shooting to help her family get food. then she did it for money. then she started having shows. then one day a man seen her shoot and asked her if she would like to shoot with him. then he asked her to getmarried and she was 13 years old when she got married.
Jamie Leeper
I really liked this book. Annie Oakley was a really good gun shooter. Some of the ways she could shoot the gun, were amazing. This book was a small book that didn't have a lot of pages. It is easy to read. Great book for young people and adults!
Kendall
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Not quite sure how much of this story was true, but her life was an amazing adventure. She was one of the best shots around and better than most men. I would use this book to show independence and strengths to my class.
Summer Galindo
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a chapter book that provides great detail into the life of Annie Oakley. It highlights many positive contributions along with the details of her famous showmanship with shooting. This is great for educating students beyond the tall tales.
Emma
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea she was adopted by Sitting Bull! How cool is that?
Ci
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
A straight-up heroine narrative of a sharpshooter.
Laura Tyree
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book!Annie Oakley is one example showing that men aren't any better then woman.
  • Who Was Sacagawea?
  • Who Was Ferdinand Magellan?
  • Who Was Queen Elizabeth?
  • Who Was Mark Twain?
  • Who Was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart?
  • Who Was Thomas Jefferson?
  • Who Was Ronald Reagan?
  • Who Was William Shakespeare?
  • Who Was Eleanor Roosevelt?
  • Who Was Paul Revere?
  • Who Was Harry Houdini?
  • Who Was Maria Tallchief?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Charles Darwin?
  • Who Was Jim Henson?
  • Who Was Thomas Alva Edison?
  • Who Was Pablo Picasso?
  • Who Was Elvis Presley?
I was born in Davenport, Iowa, and grew up in Rockaway Beach, New York. I read straight through my childhood, with breaks for food, sleep, and the bathroom. I went to college in Bennington, Vermont, moved to New York City, and took a job in publishing so I could get paid for reading. I read so much bad fiction that I needed a break, so I moved to London, and from there I traveled to Morocco, Iran, ...more

Who Was/Is...? (1 - 10 of 160 books)
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Who Was Alexander the Great?
  • Who Was Alexander Hamilton?
  • Who Was Alfred Hitchcock?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Andrew Jackson?
  • Who Was Andy Warhol?