Start by marking “Step into Magic (Portals to Whyland Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Step into Magic (Portals to Whyland Book 1)

Step into Magic

(Portals to Whyland #1)

Not special. Not chosen. But she’s got magical shoes.

14-year old Karina doesn’t know what she wants, but knows what she’s found—fascinating silver shoes. Fascinating, dangerous, and potentially evil. On the upside, they do bring cool visitors. When a princess invites her to go to Whyland, of course she accepts. There’s that little “let’s destroy the shoes” detail sh

Published July 30th 2018 by Sparkly Wave

To ask other readers questions about Step into Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Step into Magic

Start your review of Step into Magic (Portals to Whyland Book 1)
Jenny Balsamo
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Never accept invitations to alternate worlds from strangers."

Step Into Magic written by Day Leitao captivates readers into a fresh, otherworldly kingdom of forbidden magic. This is a perfect read for fans of The School for Good and Evil and The Fairyland Series.

It follows an ordinary girl named Karina who bought silver shoes in a garage sale. When an enigmatic woman appeared in her bedroom looking for the shoes, Karina realized that her shoes were something special. Just then, another two girls
Lejla
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was perfection.
I really love it.
I now can say I coud not put it down. I needed to finish it as soon as possible.
I am in love with Darian. Yes he is younger than me but he is so cute and perfect. I really stan him.
I CAN NOT wait to read more about my baby!!!

I recommend this to everyone!!
Donamarie Fournier
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully entertaining book. A real step into fantasy that doesn't let the reader down. Loved this an look forward to the next in the series.
Miss Jenny
Karina buys a pair of shoes at a garage sale (yard sale) and soon finds there is something a bit odd about them. When a mysterious woman appears in her room one night trying to obtain the shoes followed by two young girls Karina is left wondering if she is awake. Soon though she follows the girls, Cayla and Ayanna, into Whyland - a world at war.

This book probably has one of the best openings I have read in a while. It instantly grabs you and brings you to Karina - the main character - and you ha
Michelle
Step into Magic is the first book in the middle grade fantasy series, Portals to Whyland by author Day Leitao. I thought Step into Magic was a solid first book in the series. In some ways, it was solidly in the middle grade category,, but in other ways I did think it was a little busy for a middle grade book, but I will get more into that in a bit. Step into Magic was a fun story about our main character Karina who f
Nicole Dunton
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Karina's world is changed forever when she finds a pair of shoes at a yard sale. They turn out to be magical shoes that are evil. She finds herself in another world looking to destroy the shoes before people can find her and take the shoes to use for evil.

I found this story to be quite adorable. The characters were really sweet. The storyline flowed very nicely. It was well put together. I think many teenagers and young adults will really enjoy the story. It's very age-appropriate.

I'm not going
Mary Yarde
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
They were just a pair of second-hand silver shoes. Karina had no interest them in whatsoever. So why did she feel compelled to go back and buy them? And why did she feel so protective towards them?

But there was something sinister about these silver-shoes. Something evil. Suddenly Karina finds herself in another dimension. If she wants to be free of the shoes and go home, then she must destroy them.

Step into Magic (Portals to Whyland #1) by Day Leitao is a cleverly crafted tale about the fall of
Karen
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. There was continually enough mystery and suspense that I wanted to keep going and find out what would happen next and what was really going on. You were never totally sure who is the good guy and who is the bad guy, or are some of them kind of good and kind of bad...? That made it fun.
Christine Keleny
The story is great for any middle grade reader. It has lots of twists and turns and is only slow in one place. The disappointing thing was the errors. Would have been much better without those.
Ann O'Nymos
The opening of the book drew me in. I really thought I will like the main character Karina. Who has never experienced a shopping trip where you are not sure if you want to buy something until you are at home and regret not getting it?
Unfortunately, the MC is then a bit undecided and contradictive. E.g. she is very logical and scientific but never scrutinises all the new things around her, instead she just does what all the people who suddenly pop up in her bedroom want from her. Also, convincing
Scarolet Ellis
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my honest and unbias opinion of the story. I enjoyed reading this story very much. My two teenage daughters read the story with me. I loved reading it.
Mererid Evanna
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So who could resist an invitation to have an exciting adventure in another world and be back before breakfast? But then the adventure seems alarmingly difficult – even before things start going wrong. Everyone has secrets, and it's by no means easy to tell friend from foe or right from wrong. Or, for that matter, technology from magic. Seeing the story from different points of view adds to the complication. Karina is a very believable young girl who does her best in difficult circumstances. An a ...more
Stephanie
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-copy, fantasy
This book was very difficult for me to get into it. For several days I tried and tried. Finally at about 35% ish, I made a break through and started enjoying it some. It needs another proofing with several errors throughout.

I enjoyed the story itself. I honestly couldn't connect with any of the characters. No one wants to talk about magic, yet nothing is really explained.

Overall, it is quite action-packed with a surprising ending.

I was gifted an ARC in return of an honest review.
Scott
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was ok... i don't know if I just wasn't your target audience or what. It was pretty hard to follow till i got about half way through. I found myself asking how stupid can you get. ( with the choices that the girls constantly made) then it seems like you hit your word count and went into wrap up mode. story finished and wrapped up in 1 chapter or less. There were some positives ... pretty cool idea with the way things worked in other relm but you never went into the nuts and bolts ... did the ...more
Lunnaris
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
For a full review please visit http://www.awindowtomysoul.com/step-i...

I loved reading this book. It's full of small secondary stories and has friendship, a little of romance, adventure, magic and some hilarious parts. I guess I should add that if you're of the kind that likes to get an explanation for everything, this may not be your book as lots of things just seems to happen. Anyway, this is just book I so there's plenty of time for getting this answers.
Day does an incredible job describing e
Jan farnworth
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever found a treasure at a garage sale and walked away but then you go back and you get that treasure not quite sure why it called to you.  Well that what happens to our main character Cayla she find the treasure of magic shoes and she off on adventure to destroy them and save a world she never knew existed.  This was a fun story.
Brigitta Moon
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy fairy tales, adventures, and quests. After spending many years reading stories like The Magic Tree House series, The 39 Steps series, and A Series of Unfortunate Events, I find myself hooked on these types of books full of adventure and other worlds. This story was very enjoyable. A young girl is attracted to a pair of shoes which turn out to be magical and her adventure begins. I think young readers will enjoy this book as much as I did.
Mick Dubois
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, fantasy
When Karina buys a pair of silver slippers at a garage sale and gets more than she bargained for. Strange visitors turn up in her bedroom and eventually, she follows 2 young girls into another world. The magic slippers are evil and must be destroyed. Cayla and princess Cayla leave on foot for a long trek to the witches lair and get help from Cayla's friend Darian. No need saying that multiple obstacles will appear on their path.
This is a nice and clean adventure story for under 16-s, despite the
Christopher Connell
Sara Lawson
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I've got to say, starting a book with a pair of magical shoes definitely caught my attention. Portal stories are also always a lot of fun.

Karina is drawn to a pair of shoes that cause havoc on the life of a friend who borrowed them, brought a witch from another world, then brought two princesses who took Karina (and her shoes) back to their world with them.

The book is non-stop adventure, as you would expect in a middle-grade book. However, it is completely confusing. The army is trying to take d
Michele Brooks
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I offered to review this audiobook because I am such an an avid reader but also almost exclusively audio due to my schedule. Because of this, and the fact that a bad narrator can destroy a great series, I can be very critical of narrators. Especially when books have a single narrator required to speak with different voices for multiple characters. Most cannot do it without having some errors where they use the wrong 'voice' for the wrong character. Marlies Dubois does a great job in narrating th ...more
Raya Whitehouse
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a series, I had gotten the second book first which stated it could be stand-alone, and in a way could have been, but with this book, it filled in gaps that was missing in the second book that had left me wondering.

This is a great series, especially if you get them in their proper order.

So the story starts off without a big amount of backstory on where the shoes came from or the dance scene, you only really get some bits and pieces. Karina is asked to go to another real
Suzanne Perry
This was a fun book, but the narrator drove me crazy. At times she sounded like a teenager, which worked well for the teenage characters, but did NOT work well for the adult males. She has some really irritating accents as well. She pronounces several words very interestingly, such as “girls-es” when speaking of something belonging to a group of girls. Overall, I’d rather not listen to her again.
The story itself is pretty good. It is definitely geared toward teens or preteens. The adventures of
Sarah Fox
I enjoyed Step Into Magic. I read the books out of order, book 2 then book 1. Therefore, they can read as stand alone or out of order.
Step Into Magic is a cute YA fantasy. Karina is not chosen or special. It could have been anyone, yet she ended up with special "magic shoes" and some visitors. Young women from different dimensions go on a quest. Who is good? Who is evil? Who do they trust? What side is who on? Things may not be as they appear, there are s
Laura Martinez
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Step into Magic literally.

The first few lines of the book truly captured my attention. Perhaps half way through I got a bit overwhelmed with the number of new characters and not sure if they will be apart of the next installment. The main character Karina, at times can be a bit annoying. I’m sure the narrator plays a part in that as well. The narration was mediocre and I struggled with her narration. I had to increase the speed of narration to 2.0 so that the voices wouldn’t be a distraction to
Incog Nito
this is fun and engaging story, full of wonder, a fairytale like story that keeps you entranced from beginning to end. I would recommend this book for others to read or listen too if they enough fun and fantasy.

my only bad point about this story is that the niavity and gullibility of the characters are more middle grade genre than young adult 13+, a small thing I know but it still wrankled me ☺
Katherine Jordan
What more could you ask for but to go to another world and take an adventure? I think this is a good book for young preteens or teens. It has action and adventure for a young person to enjoy. The narrator does a good job bringing the story to life with words. I really enjoyed it even if it was for a younger set. I would recommend to my granddaughter in about two years.
fred jones
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Great novel which will is targeted at Young Adults(not me) but this does not mean anyone will not enjoy this book.
The characters are excellent, the storyline and ideas are interesting and engrossing (I will not be buying any silver shoes) and the narrator is excellent brings everything to life.
I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Inga O
I received a free audio copy of this book directly from the author for an honest review but DNF - sorry! I liked the concept and the storyline just couldn’t get on board with the characters. I feel maybe this was for a younger audience than my usual YA category. I won’t rate this now and will try to re-listen again in a few months time.
Amanda
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not know what happened but I missed something along the way. I may be too old for this story. I was hoping for a children's tale. Not something exclusively for the teens. I got this book through storyorigins and this is my voluntary and honest review.

• Kingdom of Sand and Wishes
  • Dark Remnants: An Urban Crime Romantic Suspense Thriller with Cute Detectives Serial Killers Murder and Heart Stopping Twists and Turns (Street Games Book 1)
  • First of Their Kind
  • Dragons and Mages: A Limited Edition Anthology
  • Pemberley: Mr. Darcy's Dragon (Jane Austen's Dragons, #1)
  • Longbourn: Dragon Entail: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (Jane Austen's Dragons Book 2)
  • Manifest Destiny
  • Argentum (The P.A.W.S. Saga, #2)
  • Dissension (Chronicles of the Uprising, #1)
  • Mother of the Chosen (The Mother of the Chosen #1)
  • Inevitable
  • Umbrae (The P.A.W.S. Saga, #3)
  • Bloodshed Academy: Year One (Bloodshed Academy, #1)
  • P.A.W.S. (The P.A.W.S. Saga, #1)
  • Caspian's Gambit (Infinity's End #0.5)
  • Instinct
  • Alistair (Tales from P.A.W.S., #1)
  • Reign Of Fire (Deep State Mysteries Book 1)

I'm originally from Brazil but I've been living in Montreal, Canada for over 15 years. I've always loved to write stories, and I like to always include romance, action, magic and humor in my writing. I think stories can touch us deeply.

My upcoming book is The Cup and the Prince. If you sign up for my newsletter, you can get its prequel, The Shadows and the Childre

Portals to Whyland (3 books)
  • Kissing Magic (Portals to Whyland #2)
  • Within Magic (Portals to Whyland #3)