Start by marking “Shadowtide” as Want to Read:
Shadowtide

Shadowtide

(The Widow Unseen Cycle (Blue Rose) #1)

When two envoys from the Sovereign's Finest disappear on a critical mission, an unlikely band of allies, led by Soot, a rhy-crow with dark and secret power, are brought together to combat a hidden threat. As portents bloom across the smuggler's den known as Serpent's Haven, these strange agents quickly find themselves tested by the machinations of a cult dedicated to darke ...more
Published October 30th 2018 by Nisaba Press

To ask other readers questions about Shadowtide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowtide

Start your review of Shadowtide
Sheila
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018, rpg
3 stars--I liked the book.

I'm currently running a tabletop game set in the Blue Rose world, so as soon as this book came out, I snatched it up. It will definitely help me flesh out some plots for my players, and was greatly helpful in providing world details and character motives.

If you're interested in the high fantasy/romantic fantasy genre, Blue Rose is a great game system--and a great setting. Recommended to those who like talking animals and dashing heroes in their fantasy books!
Chuck Lauer
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I already love the world this book is set in, so I walked in prepared to like the book.

What I wasn’t expecting was how good it would be; everything from the plants to the architecture in this book serves to make it come alive. The characters are interesting and distinct, with their own motivations. Most remarkably, by the end, I cared about all of them.

If you like action and swords and sorcery, set in a world where people aren’t afraid to color outside the lines with regard to romance, you will
John Kusters
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alexander Thomas
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing introduction to the setting of Aldis and a wonderful companion to the Blue Rose roleplaying game. Carriker weaves relatable characters against this fantastic setting in a way that is refreshing, inclusive, and organic. His action sequences are well-blocked, easy to follow, and incredibly cinematic in the theater of the reader's mind. I highly recommend this novel to fans of the fantasy genre who are sick of grimdark worlds and bland, predictable protagonists. You won't regret ...more
Rob
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful romantic fantasy! Carriker brings Blue Rose to wonderful life. I didn’t realize that I needed a setting built in brightness and joy until I read this book. Getting adventure, magic, and complex relationships with the addition of inclusion of lgbtq made my heart ache with happiness. An excellent story that has me waiting longingly for the next installment.
Vincent Thai
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I bought this book originally because I love the setting and wanted to see someone's interpretation of it, and Shadowtides was not a disappointment. I would love for this book to be twice the length as some parts felt too short or lacking in selling me the background. Story-wise, I love it - no complaints!
Robert W. Easton
A Wonderful Fantasy

The Blue Rose RPG is a high romantic fantasy setting, and this novel brings it vividly to life. The complex and strong emotional bonds between the characters draw you into the pages.

I find the first chapter or two a little hard to get into, but it was groundwork well wrought for the amazing adventure to follow. So if you're wavering a little in the beginning, keep going, it gets great.

Definitely going to look for more by this author.
Zally (ZenithMeridian)
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Carriker knows about to write stories with great pacing and characters. I think Soot might be one of my favorite concepts for a character in a very long time and I want him as my friend.

Anyway, it seems like Nisaba Press (Green Ronin) is really allowing their writers to create interesting world building elements within the Blue Rose structure along with allowing authors to have their own unique voices within the landscape unlike some other gaming fiction I have read.

One of the real stand out th
Francisco Becerra
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rpg
This is a prime example of what is inclusiveness using the romantic fantasy subgenre: well crafted characters and fantastic relationship-building. This novel teached me, a cisgendered straight individual, to overcome any fears regarding inclusive literature, and to know how topics like star marriages, gay and asexual relationships are nicely handled in fantasy. Also, Mr. Carriker has an amazing setting and combat sense, with nice pacing. The ending was particularly surprising and unconventional ...more
Raven Terry
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
First, thank you NetGalley for sending me this arc in exchange for an honest review. I love fantasy and video games, what better than a fantasy about a game?! The ideas behind it, I love. Most of the characters were very well developed. The world-building was quite detailed. It just didn’t come together well for me. I feel like there is a niche that this fits in, and it will be great for those people.
Paul
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The world of Blue Rose is easily my favourite RPG setting and this just helps bring it more to life.

I guess that GMs and players of Blue Rose are most likely people to pick up this book but I think anyone who enjoys a good fantasy novel would like this. It's an enjoyable start to a series but could happily be read as a stand alone book.
Robert
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to the Blue Rose setting and a wonderful cadre of characters, I look forward to seeing what comes next. :)
D.J. Goodman

• Hello, Moto
  • Sinew and Steel and What They Told
  • A Dead Djinn in Cairo
  • St. Valentine, St. Abigail, St. Brigid
  • South Coast (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper)
  • The Lusty Adventures of Theseus
  • The Book of Genesis
  • The Sunken Mall (The Tarot Sequence, #1.5)
  • The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)
Joseph Carriker is the developer for Green Ronin’s Blue Rose AGE roleplaying game line. He has been writing in the gaming industry for sixteen years now, and has worked on a variety of game lines over those years.

In 2017, he released his first novel, Sacred Band, and his second, Shadowtide, in 2018. He runs a Patreon dedicated to his Sacred Band world with a variety of short stories, world buildin